From: Adrian Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create a DOS bootdisk in using only Linux
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:43:08 -0600

I'm not sure if that would work or not.  I always though a special sector
had to be written on the disk so that the BIOS knows its bootable.  In any
case, I have a 100% Linux box, so it doesn't have a DOS partition or any
DOS files on it, unless you consider DOSEMU to be some sort of mutated form
of DOS.  Thus I was wondering if there was a disk image available, similar
to those that create Linux boot disks - except the one I'm looking for would
boot up MSDOS.

------------------------------

From: Jim Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,news.groups.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: Linux - install on new G3 Macintosh?  Q's...
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:53:02 -0400

Blake:  I have a G3 233 desktop and have MkLinux release 3 running dual boot
with MacOS 8.1.  However, my documentation stated that the Linux install will
not be able to use an IDE drive.  This may have changed if the drivers for Linux
have been updated or a newer release than 3 of MkLinux is available.

Just in case you're wondering how I have it running, it is installed onto a
regular external SCSI hard drive.  I have it partitioned with 800 meg MacOS and
1.2 GB AU/X 2.0.

Any ?s shoot me an email at:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Apologies in advance if my info on MkLinux is out of date - haven't checked the
web site for new drivers or releases recently.

yr Obt Servant
Jim Jones

Blake Patterson wrote:

>         I have a new 400MHz, blue&white G3 Mac.  I want to install Linux as a
> 2nd OS.  Can I do this, even though the HD is one big Mac partition
> (6GB) - is there a way to safely section off a bit for Linux, without
> having to reformat and loose all?  Thanks.
>
> bp

"Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood; men whom
neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death...could bend from their
resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished; but erect, and with
eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other
bond; was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and
assured?"

- Major General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, Appomattox Court House, 9 April
1865

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc Dobson)
Subject: Compuserve dialup from linux
Date: 3 Mar 1999 10:57:30 GMT

I don't know if this has been tackled here before but I can't actually find any
reference so I will ask my question.

I have a compuserve account and use Windows 3.11 to access it and get mail. I
have also used it to surf the web.
However the machine is dual boot and I wish to use Linux to connect to my
compuserve account (and therefore to the internet), surf the web, use the
newsgroups and even pick up my mail.
Do people know if it is possible to make a ppp connection to compuserve and what
the details of this are (eg PAP or CHAP authentication, domain servers, news
server address etc...). Or is Compuserve like AOL which has a proprietry protocol
to connect to (as far as the ISP-HOWTO says).

Any info, URLs etc on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Marc
--
Marc Dobson
EP Division, CERN

 \                                                                      /
 /     Marc Dobson                      email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]     \
 \                                                                      /

------------------------------

From: Edward Avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:15:51 +0000

Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

>I suppose we should have trademarked "dollar", instead of letting the
>word out under a free license.
>
>Hmm, and if we'd used the GPL, they could use it, but only if they also
>had a president & bicameral congress, rather than Queen & parliament :)

If you'd used the GPL, you'd have to grant people the freedom to make
as many copies of banknotes as they wished :-(

--
Ed Avis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux system failures
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 07:57:40 GMT

"Cris A. Fugate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>I can install the Linux system and everything I want.  It boots
>numerous times without
>any problem.  However it seems that when I use Windows 95 for a while
>(several boots) that is when the nightmare happens.  This has not always
>been the case when
>I did  not have anything sophisticated on Windows, but now that I have
>lots of multimedia stuff on Windows I cannot keep Linux for long.

[...]

I'd check the HD partitioning first, then the PNP device settings.
Another problem might be insufficient cooling.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: "Raf Meeusen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux SLOWER than win95?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:23:04 +0100

I meant opening,closing and switching between windows. When I'm using
Netscape with let's say 3 windows open then the whole thing works much
slower than doing the same in win95.

But it seems that another windows manager and/or extra RAM should help.

Thanks a lot for all the answers!

R.

Alex Armstrong heeft geschreven in bericht
<7bh79i$bmk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: RPM manager ?
Date: 3 Mar 1999 11:49:01 -0800

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:25:41 +0000, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a decent RPM manager -- something that I could use
>to 'browse' through and see what's installed ?
>Cheers,
>        Len

For the console there's something called purp which seems to work
fairly well.
I just downloaded xrpm for X but it uses python and I guess Tk/tcl
which my python isn't configured for, yet. So I can't tell you how
well it works.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Windows 3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<M.com (Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs LINUX
Date: 3 Mar 1999 11:17:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Norbert Grundmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I like FreeBSD and prefer it, but I have respect on Linux.

Careful, you might get thrown off this newsgroup for not being
a bigot.

I asked a question before on Linux/FreeBSD compatability,
which never really got answered. (Looking back I realise that
the question was badly phrases - so I'll phrase a better question
here and hope I do better).

Do you know what problems you would get if you took a Linux
system and tried to compile a BSD kernel ?

Would it compile ?
Would it boot ?
Would it destroy the underlying system ?

Obviously the the inital problems are compilation based ?
(How easy to get compile and libs compatability ?)

Can FreeBSD work with ext2 file systems ?

Mike

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: damn bastards
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:38:11 +0000

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Richard Steiner wrote:

> Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "Mr. Tinkertrain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> spake unto us, saying:
>
> >i hate those morons who say 'x-windows' instead of 'x-window'.
> >ignorant fools.
>
> I usually say "X" because it's a lot easier to type.  :-)
man X will tell you all the official names for the X Window System.

                                  X Window System
                                   X Version 11
                            X Window System, Version 11
                                        X11

I hate to say it but x-window is not there...

David
--
David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 07:36:32 -0600
From: dmalcolm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Acer (texas Instrument) Extensa 500T

==============021935DC580CE45465CD0DF4

I'm not familiar with your box, but if you are not running one of the new 3D
accellerator cards, Xwindows can be set up with what you have.  You will need
to know the vertical and horizontal scan rate limites for you monitor and you
will need to know the same for your card.  Beyond that - Read the documentation
that you can find in the HOWTO's.
Don't know where the HOWTO's are?  Try 'find / -name linux-HOWTO' .

Dan

Paolo Colombini wrote:

> Hello everybody !
> I am new to this kind of things and I hope to post my question to the right
> place.
> So if I am wrong forgive me.
> I would like to know if anyone has already installed Linux on Acer Extensa
> 500T or if some one is planning to do.
> I would appreciate any help on this because I woul like to install Linux on
> mine.
> My main problem is about X windows and were to get the right video
> configuration.
> Thanks everybody for your help.
> Paolo Colombini

==============021935DC580CE45465CD0DF4

begin:vcard
adr;dom:;;1308 Nolan Court;Madison;AL;35758;
n:Malcolm;Dan
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Home
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Software Engineer
tel;fax:205-895-9934
tel;home:205-772-3109
tel;work:205-722-2840
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Dan Malcolm
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 2 Mar 1999 21:37:58 GMT

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 23:32:52 -0500,
James Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I ran FreeBSD several years ago on a 486 66mz machine and was
>impressed with how solid and fast it was.  I ran Apache on it and
>used it to develop HTML/cgi for uploading to a large university
>Sun/Solaris system.
>
>I've now decided to abandon Windows and install "unix". I know
>there are major organizations still using FreeBSD on servers, but
>I'm worried that with all the attention Linux is getting, it's
>probably the bandwagon to hop on.

No need to hop bandwagons if you don't want to.  FreeBSD (and OpenBSD --
comes with more encryption than most!*) have a ports system, whereby
you can cd into /usr/ports see if your favourite software is in there
and then just type make; make install.  Easiest, cleanest thing I've
seen so far.

Quite a bit of popular software is available there.  FreeBSD and OpenBSD
emulate Linux software on ix86 as well.

* - shameless patriotic plug, get your strong encryption here
--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:43:08 +0000

i've had a dual pIII 500 machine that was actualy a pIII 500 and a PIII 450
clocked up that ran fine. exactly the same results as a real dual 500.
didn't notice the 450 getting any hotter either.

David

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christian Ravera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

------------------------------

From: Tim Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The name game @ LW Expo
Date: 03 Mar 1999 11:53:44 GMT

It was interesting to note and observe the current state
of the highly charged 8-) Linux pronunciation issue.  The
LinuxWorld Expo showcased this.

Looking back, Linus Torvalds has said "Linux" a few
different ways.  (Leenicks, Linnucks, and other
Scandinavian sounding variants).  Another comment he made
some time ago when some people were getting worked up
over this, was that you can say it however you like.

Initially, I think people wishing to be respectful to Mr
Torvalds went to great lengths to try to say it "his way".
Certainly understandable.  The Linux community tends to
be very idealistic and wants to "do the right thing".

But for myself, this has always been a bit of a mystery,
the need for everyone to toe the line with one
pronunciation.  There have always been regional flavors
to how one says names of people and things.  No respect
intended, just a natural thing (ever try to get a
Scandinavian to say English names "right"?)

After being at the Expo, I think I finally understand
what's going on with this pronunciation mystery!  The
speakers on the podium and the various booth presenters
were all very consciously saying "Linnucks" or "Linnicks".
In the midst of it, they were also coming up with a
variety of pronunciations for "Linus" other than the way
Torvalds says it!  (So much for the respect thing?)

It finally dawned on me that the reason RedHat, Caldera,
VA Research, and the rest, are interested in pushing the
"one true pronunciation" so hard is that the "suits" get
nervous when they don't know how to say your product's
name!  You have to make the corporate clients
comfortable.  Caldera was even giving pronunciation
lessons in their booth.  (While "mispronouncing" "Linus").

Of course, it's all a tempest in a teapot.  (Somehow
mysteriously fascinating, nonetheless.)  Just a bit of
Linux sociology.  The really interesting thing is that
this OS has come a long way and is, it seems to me,
poised to enter the mainstream.  It was (is) a good show.
Go see it if you can.

Tim Holmes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory G. Woodbury)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Cable Modems with Linux
Date: 3 Mar 1999 00:23:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> shaped electrons to say:

>Just remember for most cable companies the NIC you
>registered with is the ONLY NIC that will work for
>the cable modem. This is for security reasons - cable
>companies record your NICs internal MAC address (nothing
>to do with Apple Macs) and only accept data from THAT card.
>This is so hackers can't do any IP spoofing.

  That is only the public reason.  The more mundane and practical
reason is so that you don't add computers to the connection that
they don't know about, since they want to charge you for each computer
that is connected to the xDSL/Cable modem you use.

  It is also my understanding that the Cable modems store and
limit to the first MAC address that presents to their 10baseT
port after they power on.  That is, you can reset which MAC they
are conditioned to by power cycling the modem.

  So far, I haven't met and xDSL modems that lock out "unknown"
MAC addresses.  This is probably because the xDSL isn't totally
limited to tcp/ip ethernet, but can deal with TokenRing and other
protocols that may not have MAC addresses.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U      Errant co-moderator of:

------------------------------

From: Surfer Netzbetrieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.0.33 -> 2.0.34 + Compiling modul
Date: 3 Mar 1999 11:56:58 GMT

Hello,

how can I compile my modul for my ethernet-adapter "eepro100.c" ?
          gcc -c eepro100.c
should generate eepro100.o , right ?
But this command produces faults only ...

Before I downloaded the kernel 2.0.34-sources an installed them. The
kernel compilation was o.k.. But linux-boot complains "eepro100.o was
compiled for Kernel 2.0.33 ..".
I think I have to compile ALL modules once again, right ? After kernel
compilation I started "make modules", but some modeles seem not to be
recompiled. Another example is the modul for msdos-filesystems. I can't
read msdos-filesystems.

Has somebody ideas how to recompile all moduels ?

Thanks in advance.
Ekkard