  Quicktime under linux, an alternate approach? ("Bruce H. McIntosh")

From: Bruce Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Looking for FREE Java IDE builder
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:15:15 -0600

Al Dev wrote:

> Which is the most popular GNU/GPLed "free" IDE builder for Java on
> LINUX platform??
> something using JDK 1.2?? I saw one called FreeBuilder
> http://www.freebuilder.org
> But is there a better/more popular  one?? Or FreeBuilder is the ONLY
> ONE?

Please check the GPLed VIDE: http://www.javaweaver.com/vide.htm

    It is currently undergoing active development. Works quite
well on Win9x/NT with latest Sun JDK, but Linux version still
needs work. I intend to use VIDE to teach an intro Java class
this fall, so it WILL be very polished by the end of the summer.

It is GPLed. It is written in C++, so it is FAST. VIDE was originally
designed for C++, but the Java support is pretty good, too.
--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework

e-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:    http://www.objectcentral.com

------------------------------

From: Tom Otake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing problem
Date: 19 May 1999 16:06:35 PDT

==============67B929BD5DE1F5D05FE92B68

Hi,

I'm having a little problem printing and was hoping someone here could
shed some light on this issue.  I had no problems printing until I moved
to kernel 2.2.x.  I couldn't find any info in the documentation that
came with the kernel.  I started out with RH5.2 and moved to kernel
2.2.x with all the necessary upgeades to programs.  Right now I'm
testing kernel 2.2.9 but no dice with printing.  I compiled parallel
port support into the kernel and use lp as a module.

Thanks,
Tom

--
_______________
AMAZING BUT TRUE ...

-- Tom Otake
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============67B929BD5DE1F5D05FE92B68

Hi,
shed some light on this issue.&nbsp; I had no problems printing until I
moved to kernel 2.2.x.&nbsp; I couldn't find any info in the documentation
that came with the kernel.&nbsp; I started out with RH5.2 and moved to
kernel 2.2.x with all the necessary upgeades to programs.&nbsp; Right now
I'm testing kernel 2.2.9 but no dice with printing.&nbsp; I compiled parallel
port support into the kernel and use lp as a module.
<pre>--&nbsp;
_______________
AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There is so much sand in Northern Africa
that if it were spread out it
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; would completely cover the Sahara Desert.

-- Tom Otake
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.6 .rpm, .deb? was, Re: Netscape 4.51 suddenly exits
?????????????
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 18:15:35 GMT

In article <7hv3jq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone seen Netscape 4.6 rpms or debs yet?  Where?  I'm too lazy
> install it otherwise...  plus, it's nicer to have it packaged and
ready for
> an easy upgrade or uninstall if necessary..

> > I heared there were lots of improvements to the code, making
Netscape

> > Java 1.1 compliant, faster, smaller, and with less bugs.
> >
> > I wonder how it compares to 4.5.

Slackware Pkgtool does uninstall and works with tarballs. Maybe you
could upgrade your system to Slackware :^)

John Culleton

From: Daniel Kollar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fonts for the xfs
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:20:39 +0200

I'm using redhat-6.0 and the shipped fonts aren't sufficient for me.
Where can I get more fonts and how can I install them?

I don't want to use a truetype-font-server, because I heard of problems
with them.

--
Daniel Kollar   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage        http://www.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de/~kollar

------------------------------

From: notbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partiton Problem With RedHat 5.2
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:37:41 GMT

If you already had a partition created to put RH in, then that is your
problem.  Linux must create it's own partition with it's own fdisk or
diskdruid software.  You need unused HDD space, which is not
partitioned, to make a Linux partition.  You can not put a linux on a
partition created with another OS.

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 20 May 1999 21:26:08 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> David Kastrup  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach) writes:
> >> You may be less likely to die, net, if you have a gun, because most
> >> of the time, people "defending" themselves with guns don't fire them
> >> - most people aren't stupid enough to wait around to be shot at.
>
> >So you would be of the opinion that a criminal armed with a gun
> >telling me to pass my wallet will, if I grasp at a gun as an answer,
> >turn his back on me and walk away?
>
> Not necessarily... But he might.
>
> Roughly speaking, if you resist with anything but a gun, you're more likely
> to get hurt than if you don't resist.  If you resist with a gun, you're less
> likely to get hurt than if you don't resist.

Don't be silly.  There is no reason to shoot me if I don't resist.  If
he was planning to kill me, anyway, there would be no point in asking
me to pass the wallet first.

Of course, if in the act of me passing my wallet, he will notice that
I have a gun strapped to my side, he might consider killing me before
turning his back.  So if I carry a gun, the option of "not resisting"
might be considerably more dangerous than if I don't.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michel Aartsen)
Crossposted-To: nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: The Vi Lovers Home Page
Date: 19 May 1999 19:06:53 GMT

On 18 May 1999 17:03:03 -0400, Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michel Aartsen) writes:
>
>> >The Vi Lovers Home Page:
>> >http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tmgil/vi/vi.html
>>
>> Emacs Suckz !!
>> 5 MB for a text editor..... I don't think so.
>
>emacs is a a text editor the way a sherman tank is a convertible.  it's
>actually a lisp engine with a text editorish interface.  that's how it can
>support many non-text-editor features, such as mail, news, web, ftp, etc
>etc...

I think that a program (general speaking) is good for solving one or
two problems. If a program tries to solve a lot of problems at the same
time you get a large program. That program says it can solve all your
problems but not all.

Example.
- VI is a text editor. It can only do that and nothing else.
  So the programmer can look at that specifiek problem and solve
  all the problems he (or she) will incounter.

- SLRN is a newsreader. It can only read and display news.
  For typing a followup it will call an external text editor (in my case VI).

Both programs are very small and they do there jobs extremely well.

My 2cts.

Michel
--
MicroSoft :
More Intelligent Customers Realise Our

'Navy says : Stop the war. I need to reboot NT'

------------------------------

From: Jerome Mrozak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Q]  memory usage puzzle
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:24:39 -0500

Mark Tranchant wrote:

> Jerome Mrozak wrote:
> >
> > I have SuSE 6.1 distribution (Linux 2.2.5) installed on a 80MB RAM
> > computer.  Booting to the CLI, 'free' reports that 55MB is used, 25MB
> > unused.
[snip]
> > *   Is Linux simply using the memory to cache, and will release this
> > memory overuse as other programs require it?
>
> Yes.
>

> > *   I'm thinking that when I run a GUI (Gnome, KDE) that it will want to
> > eat memory.  Will I start swapping to swap partition simply because my
> > "kernel" is chewing my RAM?
>
> No - swapping will only start in earnest when the working set of all
> open applications approaches the total available RAM. The kernel will
> balance the cache against the swap usage. This is a good thing - idle
> processes are swapped out, freeing up more RAM for caching.

[snip]

> You have bought 80MB of RAM - would you rather it was left idle or put
> to good use? How do you measure the NT usage? You have insufficient
> memory when the machine is thrashing (swapping heavily).
>
> Run "top" or "free" and look at the amount cached or used for buffers.
>
> Mark.

I opened ktop and opend Netscape, etc. and saw process memory usage
approach 40MB.  The cache went down to about 35MB.  I killed processes
and memory usage went down, and cache didn't grow again.

from /proc/meminfo:
46.5M used + 35.1M free = 81.6M total
46.5M used - 38.9M cached = 7.6M processes, which would match RSS column
values from "ps asux".
The 16.0M process SIZE (text + data + stack) I can't figure from
/proc/meminfo.

I saw that cache was reduced to fulfill process memory requests once
physical RAM limits were reached.  I'm now satisfied that, as you say,
Linux is occupying otherwise unused RAM and using it for scratch tasks.

Thanks for help,
Jerome.

------------------------------

From: Daniel Kollar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape >4.5 and Address-Book
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:16:59 +0200

I have my address-book created with Netscape-4.08.
After updating to 4.51 or 4.6 I have problems importing the adress-book.
Some entries are okay, but most of them can't be edited or used. Is this
a netscape bug? Is there a work-aroung?

From: Lothar Krenzien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: no sound in KDE
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:50:03 +0200

Joe Strout schrieb:

> My XWindows system is far too silent!  So I did "cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV
> audio" according to http://www.wpi.edu/~huberj/linuxppc/sound.txt.
> This appears to work as far as it goes; when I did "cp /etc/services
> /dev/audio" I got static out the speaker.
>
> But in KDE, there is still no sound; system sounds (I grabbed some WAVs
> from the net) don't work, the sound in Reversi makes no sound, the
> Media Player makes nary a peep, etc.  I checked the KDE FAQ, but all it
> says is that  $KDEDIR/bin/startkde should include "kwmsound" -- but it
> does.  I can even see that it's launching some sort of audio server
> thingy, but it doesn't seem to actually work.  I checked the KDE sound
> mixer, and though I don't understand all the things I'm looking at, I
> turned them all up and still no sound.
>
> (If it matters, audio CDs *do* play, though they come out the
> computer's onboard speaker instead of my external stereo speakers.)
>
> Any advice?  What might I be doing wrong here?  (This is linuxppc R4
> installed straight from the CD, on a StarMax 3000.)
>
> Many thanks,
> -- Joe
>
> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
> |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.strout.net              |
> `------------------------------------------------------------------'
> Check out the Mac Web Directory!    http://www.strout.net/macweb.cgi

www.suse.com --> support database and search for "kde sound" (without
quotes ;) )
Most of the topics are valid in general. Maybe some path or filenames
are some different. You can also look in the
<kernel-source>/Documentation/sound  dir or installing the howtos from
your distribution CD .

Hope it helps .

Greetings
Lothar

------------------------------

From: Paul Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: National Language Support (NLS)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:19:01 -0500

Hey all...

I was wondering if anyone out there could direct me to some good sources
on NLS WRT linux...  I haven't been able to find much except a few
language specific HOWTOs...

Thanks in advance...

Paul Schroeder

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael David Jones)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 20 May 1999 15:07:06 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) writes:
>It was the 20 May 1999 16:33:18 +0200...
>..and David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) writes:
>> > It was the Wed, 19 May 1999 17:51:51 -0500...
>> > ..and Kenneth P. Turvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > [schnibble]
>> > Every thread degenerates into either an Emacs-vs.-vi debate or a gun
>> > control flamewar after a finite amount of time.
>> To which of those alternatives would Godwin's law apply?
>Gun control advocates always bring up the Nazis after some time.

It's the other way round, actually. It's the gun advocates who
typically trot out the "Nazis had gun control" myth.

 Mike Jones |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

July 9, 1957: Entering the All-Star Game in the ninth, Minnie Minoso
singles in a run, throws out Gus Bell, and robs Gil Hodges of a
double.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benoit Goudreault-Emond)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: 19 May 1999 23:39:45 GMT

In article <7hunq7$s4d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Smith wrote:
> Benoit Goudreault-Emond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I'm actually quite surprised that the Linux system worked that well, having
> >a 2.0 series kernel on an SMP system.  Even more surprising (and much more
> >indicative of reality) is that Linux trounced NT on the dynamic tests,
> >despite being stuck with CGI scripts where NT & IIS had some in-process
> >stuff.  Apparently, ZD Net folks never heard of the numerous Apache
>
> Huh?  Their charts had Linux + Apache CGI slightly slower than NT + IIS CGI,
> and way slower than NT + IIS ISAPI.  How is that a trouncing?

Err... It's not, my recall of the chart was spotty.  Sorry.  It's still
surprising, and still illustrates my point about IIS caching, and Apache not
caching.

--
Benoit Goudreault-Emond
CoFounder, KMS Group ; Student, B. Comp. Eng, Concordia University

Note:   the "From:" address is not correct to protect myself against spam.
        My actual e-mail address is: ``bgoudem AT axess DOT com''

------------------------------

From: "Tom Eisenmenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Linux Textbook?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:26:12 -0400

We've begun to cover Linux in the community college where I teach.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a textbook I really like for my
students.  I'd like your recommendations, given the following criteria:

(1)  The textbook must have a variety of exercises at the end of each
chapter, although an instructor's solution manual is not required.  I'd
prefer that the text not be a "self-help" guide where answers are readily
available for the student.

(2)  The book should be written on a freshman level (i.e. for the casual
user, not an administrator).

I used "Linux A-Z" this past session, but was not altogether happy with it.
I'll use it again if I must, but I hope I can find something more
appropriate.  I'll be attending the Linux Expo tomorrow and will check out
the exhibitors, hoping to find a good text.  In the meantime, I'll
appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks!

-- Tom Eisenmenger

------------------------------

From: "William R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Compilation Woes
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 06:29:54 -0500

Can anyone assist with the following ?

Red Hat 4.2 (though similar problems exist with 5.1 and 5.2)

In trying to compile a new kernel (SMP or non-SMP :^)) on a system with
the following config:

single IDE (boot drive), dual scsi (Buslogic), 3c503 network card.

If I leave scsi  (BusLogic) and 3c503 enabled as modules:
    1) make config
    2) make dep
    3) make clean
    4) make zImage
    5) mv new zImage to /boot, edit /etc/lilo.conf as needed and rerun
lilo
    6) make modules
    7) mv /lib/modules/2.0.30 to /lib/modules/2.0.30.old
    8) make modules_install
    9) reboot

results in the following:

error messages module version 2.0.30 doesnt match blah blah blah
buslogic scsi drives not detected nor is the network card and System
drops me into a maintenace shell from which insmod BusLogic works just
fine.

Tried  using the new System.map file as well with pretty much the same
results.

So what are the steps needed to get a working kernel ?? This is a recent
problem
(post 4.2 Red Hat) as I have done this many times with previous
versions. I have
absolutely no doubt that it is module related but searches on Deja News
have
turned up no clues and Red Hats site offers nothing either. The systems
default
(as installed) configuration works just fine (non SMP) but this problem
is not
, I repeat not SMP related as I cannot get a non SMP kernel to work
either.

Red Hat 5.1 and 5.2 fail as well so these are not options either. I need
to stay with
a 2.0.30 kernel if at all possible.

BTW: If I compile BusLogic and 3c503 support into the kernel (instead of modules)

I can get the new kernel to boot but it insists on trying use the BusLogic module
regardless of /etc/conf.modules. Is this mkinitrd related ???? Any pointers here would
be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bill

PS: reply via e-mail would be appreciated. I will summarize to
the group

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Ishmail no longer being developed - source code available
Date: 20 May 1999 08:46:14 GMT

[F'up set]

Phillip Deackes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I use a commercial product, Ishmail, as my email client under Linux. It is
>by far the best email app I have used.
>
>I went to the Ishmail site yesterday to see if any updates were available
>and found an announcement that it is no longer being sold or developed. The
>company invited requests for the souce code.
>
>Unfortuantely I am not a programmer, but I am wondering if the Linux
>community is aware of this offer? Ishmail is an extremely polished product
>indeed. Maybe someone would like to get hold of the source code and carry
>on with development.

Quite possibly. The amount of interest would depend on the terms under which
the source code is made available (public domain, BSD-like, GPL, other).

>Is there a newsgroup which would get this info to those who might be
>interested better than the two I have chosen?

Presumably Ishmail is not Linux-specific. The readers of gnu.misc.discuss
will probably be interested, in particular if the source is made available
under a free license, or the company could be convinced to release it under
a free license.

Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,

From: "Bruce H. McIntosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quicktime under linux, an alternate approach?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:15:48 -0400

Ok, how about this:  has anyone tried firing up the Windows QT4 viewer under any
recent incarnation of Wine?

Bruce H. McIntosh                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Engineer                     http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~brucem
UF/Northeast Regional Data Center   352-392-2061