  Re: Some (more) Questions (Jacques Le Marois)

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:34:46 GMT

Christopher Seawood writes:
> Per Section 3, what constitutes "normally distributed with major
> components of the operating system"?

Libc, Motif.

> Motif distributed with Solaris seems to fall under this distinction but
> Qt distributed with Linux-Mandrake does not.  What's the difference?

Is Linux-Mandrake an operating system, or is it only a minor variation on
an operating system that does not normally include Qt?

> This clause may have been straight-forward in the days when you could
> only get an OS from a single vendor but at least where the "free" OSes
> are concerned, this clause is very ambigious.

Exactly.  When the GPL was written it was easy to tell where one OS left
off and another began.  With Linux the boundaries are fuzzy.  RMS has made
the (reasonable, IMHO) interpretation that Linux distributions are
variations on a single OS.

> 3) What is the boundary of a derivative work wrt software?  Process
> space?  Source files?  Sockets?  There has to be some limit otherwise
> we'd all be in violation of the GPL due to the use of non-GPL'd code for
> webservers, daemons, dynamic loaders, etc.

Copyright law does not concern itself about processes, source files,
sockets, linkage, etc.  Copyright is about making copies.  If your work as
didtributed contains a copy of part or all of another work it is a
derivative of that work.  If not, it isn't.

> 4) If a dynamically loaded module under the GPL is considered to be a
> derivative work of a proprietary product, is there a violation of the
> GPL?

RMS says yes.  I say no, as long as your work as distributed does not
contain any portion of the GPL work (this may not be practical).

> If so, who is performing the violation?

Reread the GPL.  It can't be the end user because the GPL does not limit
what you do in the privacy of your own computer.  You could cut and paste
together a monstrosity that combines all the features of Microsoft Word and
emacs without infringing the emacs copyright, as long as you don't give
anyone a copy.

> If a program calls functions of a library, is the program considered to
> be a derivative work of that library?

Only if the program as distributed contains some portion of the library.
Copyright law knows nothing of function calls.

> If so, from the definition of "derivative work", which type of change is
> occurring to the library?

None, but that is not the question.  The question is, are you distributing
a work which contains a portion of someone else's work?

> This example assumes some sort of linking was involved

Copyright law neither knows nor cares about linking.

> If a program calls the functions of a library but is not linked to the
> library (doesn't share process space nor is part of a single executable),
> is the program considered to be a derivative of the library?

Does the program as distributed contain any portion of the library?

> How are the scenarios in questions 4, 5 & 6 different than a program
> calling syscalls into the kernel?

They aren't.  Copyright knows nothing of syscalls and kernels.  It just
deals with copying.

> The linux kernel comes with a notice (quoted below) at the top of the GPL
> distributed with it.  Is this notice adding an exception to the GPL or
> merely clarifying a point?

I'd call it an exception, but there is really no difference.

> Lesse, if you ask a question, you're considered to be whining.

No.  You should understand, however, that "questions" about the GPL often
turn into "What do you mean, putting 10 lines from emacs in my 10,000 line
program will require that I GPL it!  That's not fair!"  This has happened
so often that people sometimes respond reflexively.

> If you don't bother to ask and accidentally (thru misinterpretation)
> violate the GPL, you're at fault because you didn't bother to learn about
> the GPL by asking about it.

You also have to read it, read some copyright law, go to dejanews and read
the extensive discussions on the subject that have taken place on these
newsgroups in the past, and, if necessary, ask your lawyer.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Text editors
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:37:01 -0800

I've just installed Red Hat 5.2. I am wondering if there is any
window-based editors.
I'm looking for an editor that works like textedit or jot on other UNIX
workstations or something like notepad in Windows95/98. Something simple
to create .txt, .html or .c files. Please help.

Thank You
GK

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Keyboard layout
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:17:59 +0100

Hartelijk dank...

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
> HTH,
> Ray

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Mason)
Subject: nfs
Date: 4 Mar 1999 15:28:58 GMT

I am running a linux machine using slackware kernel 2.2.1.  I am hooked up to the
internet with a cable modem.  In the last few days I have started noticeing strange
messages in my syslog file.

mountd[64]: Access by unknown NFS client 206.47.27.166

Is this someone trying to break into my system.  I have recieved three of these
errors in the past 2 days all from different ip address.  How can I stop this?

Thanks,
Charlie

--

                        -Charles M. Mason Jr. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Tom Fawcett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Problems with 'home-built' bootdisks
Date: 04 Mar 1999 09:40:23 -0500

David Fetterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Martin,
> Thanks for the help.  I tried the 'cat root.gz > /dev/fd0' method and
> the error repeated.  My original effort consisted of:
>
> made a ext2 fs on a zero'd file
> mounted via loopback
> populated fs
> umount'd fs
> gzip'd fs file to rootfs.gz
> fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
> dd if=rootfs.gz of=/dev/fd0H1440 bs=1k(tried 512 too) seek=0(tried with
> & w/o)
> dd says: "1347+1 records in"
>          "1347+1 records out"
>
> I've noticed I get the same error when trying to mount /dev/fd0 after
> copying the image, but instead of the kernel panic line, I get "Invalid
> MS-DOS filesystem, you must specify filesystem type" or something along
> those lines.  Maybe this info helps, maybe not... Any more ideas?

By any chance does your /etc/fstab state that /dev/fd0 has an msdos fs?
If so, change it to 'auto' and try again.

-Tom

------------------------------

From: "Jacek M. Holeczek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: egcs 1.1.1 i386.rpm where ?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:49:31 +0100

Hi,
Is there somewhere a place where I can get the egcs 1.1.1 i386.rpm ( I
can only find egcs-1.1b ) ?
Thanks in advance,
Jacek.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: 5 Mar 1999 12:00:56 GMT

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:38:35 -0000, David Hawthorne
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

->The simple fact, whether the computer community likes it or not, is that
->that terribly nice Mr. Gates has been a boon to computers - by providing an
->OS which the non-nerd can use. I don't know exactly how my car works, but I
->can drive to Milan. W95 DOES MAKE COMPUTING EASIER FOR THE MAN IN THE
->STREET. Fact. Simple as that. Why argue about it?

        Easy...  Because it's not correct.

        (I am working on the assumption that you are referring to 95/98)

        95/98 are clones of the Mac and all the other GUI's that came way
before Win 3.1/95/98.  The Mac, GEM, GeoWorks on the Commodore 64/128 first,
then the IBM clones.

        IIRC, Win 3.1 and GeoWorks came out about the same time.  GeoWorks
was vastly superior to Win 3.1.  Make an XT multitask with a fully functioning
GUI, and much better printing quality on a dot matrix printer than with 3.1.
Too bad M$ marking killed it.  I loved it.  It was great and flew on the
386SX/16 w/ 4 Megs of RAM that I tried it on.  Can't say the same for Win 3.1
on the same machine.

--
"1995 - Windows 95 forever changes the way we think about flaky software."

        - _Mr. Bunny's Guide to ActiveX_

Justin The Cynical - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Moore)
Subject: Re: I think I've been hacked...
Date: 4 Mar 1999 11:30:39 -0500

Chris Muller  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As I said, this looks like a hack to me but I've never experienced one
>before so I'm not sure of anything.  What do I do?

I'm no expert but I have been cracked.  Shut everything down.  There is
no telling what is going on from your system.  My emergency procedure
is first thing to pull the damn ethernet cable out of the wall, so
at least then you are standalone and can't be hurting someone else.

After that, try to get someone knowledgable to help you.  You will
probably be looking at reinstalling some or all of the system.

--

Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: libXpm.so.4 - still not working
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:24:42 +0100

Well, it looks like a libc5 problem.  WP/Linux needs libc5.  So I've got
the libc5-based version of libXpm.so.4.  Now I guess I need to run xwp
in a shell file which first sets up a search path to the libc5
libraries.  I would have hoped Corel could have made this a bit clearer
at install time...

**Nick Brown wrote:

> Still trying to get WordPerfect to work.  xwp complains that it "can't
> load library libXpm.so.4".  Other components of WP have the same problem
> during the installation.

> |\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
> | \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
>                     But there's something missing in the middle
>
> Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux networking nukes kernel of SCO box.
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:52:44 GMT

Craig Macbride wrote:

> 1) Attach Linux machine to network, with lpd pointed at SCO box.
> 2) Wait about 2 hours.
> 3) SCO kernel panics with trap type E in kernel function tcp_linput while
> running lpd.

> I'd like to request that Linux developers try to nuke Windoze boxes
> and leave SCO boxes alone. :-)

If SCO is crashing, it's the SCO box's fault.  It doesn't matter what
the Linux box is doing, by design, accident or stupidity: if the SCO
reacts by crashing, it's that box that has the problem.  Whether or not
the problem is the OS or the hardware obviously requires more work to
determine, but even if the Linux box shouldn't be doing whatever it is
that it is doing, the SCO box still shouldn't crash.

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO ACE

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 05 Mar 1999 06:59:55 -0500

Mark Mokryn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > >i can understand linus completely.  do you remember 16 bit segment
> > >hell?  i sure do.  i never want to see that kind of brain damage ever
> > >again as long as i live.  far pointers are a monumental crock.  shame
> > >on you for even bringing it up!
> > >
> > >what would want a larger address space?  most likely, it'd be a single
> > >massive program like a number cruncher or database application.  you
> > >would have near and far 32 bit and 32+32 bit pointers.  it would suck
> > >royally.  it'd break all the assumptions that linux makes (basically
> > >all memory is accessible by a 32 bit pointer).
> > >
> > >if you need more address space, get a 64 cpu!  for someone really
> > >needing the 36 bit space, the cost of an alpha or sparc is *not*
> > >prohibitive.
> >
> > It's fair enough for someone to want to build a 36 bit Linux port, so
> > long as they're willing to take responsibility for:
> > a) Writing it,
> > b) Rewriting GLIBC to use 36 bit values,
> > c) Creating a 36 bit distribution.
>
> The Xeon is not a "36-bit" machine, whatever that is...

[the pdp-10 is a fine example of 36 bits in action.]

> It merely has a
> 36-bit physical address bus. The extended address space is achieved via
> modifications to page table entries, i.e. it is a question of how the CPU
> interprets the PTE's.

the 8088 was a 16 bit machine, yet it could address 20 bits of space.
remember segment registers?  they are still there.

to use a larger address space, you would need to set and restore all
the segment registers at each task swap.

how would access you over 4G in a single process?  near 32 bit pointer
and far 32+32 bit pointers.

> The CPU can be switched between the different paging modes. The
> Xeon, like all x86's, is a 32-bit machine. For the large part, the
> code needing modification is kernel code that deals with physical
> addresses.  Depending on the architecture of Linux (which I am not
> familiar with), this may or may not be a ton of work.

i'll bet that it'd be a ton of work.  if you want to try, you are
welcome to it.

> But in any
> case, from what I've heard in this discussion, Linux cannot even
> utilize more than 1 or 2 GB (depending who you ask) of physical
> memory, on ANY architecture. Why? This will seriously hurt Linux in
> the server arena.

expanding the memory area of a 64 bit cpu doesn't seem like it would
be so very hard.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: StarOffice anyone??
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 10:25:33 -0600

Craig wrote:

> I DL'ed and installed StarOffice recently (that part seemed to go fine), but
> now I can't seem to get the program to start.  The README says to execute
> the script /Office50/bin/soffice, but I've had no luck.  The Stardivision
> web site doesn't seem to have a lot of help docs up.  Any ideas?  I am also
> trying to figure out how to create icons for it in Afterstep.
> thanks,
> Craig Shields
Add some of the output from when you try and run the script. What
happens. Can't solve a problem without any info.
--
Peter Buelow
Motorola GSM/Bedrock

------------------------------

From: David Garcia Dolla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.compression,linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.multimedia
Subject: MPEG and linux
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:07:04 +0100

Hi.
I am interested in finding a MPEG coder card or a parallel port plug-in
MPEG video capture unit with support for linux. Does any of you know
about any product?
Thanks in advance
--
                                   ```
 __^__                            (o o)                           __^__

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux info
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 16:00:47 GMT

Try http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8984/linuxlinx.htm.  It's a site
I created as a portal for my day-to-day work in Linux.

Randy

From: "Craig Shields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: PPP for network connection??
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:08:02 -0500

Hello,
I am trying to get connected to the internet and do email through my network
connection at work and I can't seem to "see" anything beyond my LAN.  I can
ping any machine on the LAN, but can't get mail or PPP internet
access to work.  I am yet another immigrant to Linux from Win95/98/NT and
must be
missing something.  Could someone PLEASE help me translate my TCP/IP
settings in Win98 to Linux??   (i.e.,  IP, DNS, Gateway, WINS)  I've read
many FAQ's and just seem to be missing something.
thanks,
Craig Shields

------------------------------

From: Henrik Malmgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: links..
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 22:24:55 +0100

Linux and programming links.....
Go to :  http://www.fly.to/thewizz/
NOTE: Don't forget to look under "tons of prgramming links"......it
really are tons of programming links, and it a good programmer who have
done that page.

--
/Henrik!

    Unix, msdos and NT. Also known as the good, the bad and the ugly...
    Linux is a fact...Microsoft is a question...And the answer is NO...

From: Jacques Le Marois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some (more) Questions
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:08:30 GMT

> Mandrake sells a modified Red Hat distribution with KDE, a 2.2 kernel, and
> some other features.  But their home page also lists no American distributor
> for their Powerpack version, nor any way to order directly from them.  Is
> there any way I can buy one at all?
> --

You can order a cheap CD-Rom on a lot's of places in US.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com

The PowerPack should be available next week at Circadian Software, LinuxMall,
LinuxCentral...

Jacques.