  Aliases.db error. (Fred Kuipers)

From: Ed Avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Textbook?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:24:50 +0100

Tom Eisenmenger wrote:

>We've begun to cover Linux in the community college where I teach.
>Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a textbook I really like for my
>students.  I'd like your recommendations, given the following criteria:
>
>(1)  The textbook must have a variety of exercises at the end of each
>chapter, although an instructor's solution manual is not required.  I'd
>prefer that the text not be a "self-help" guide where answers are readily
>available for the student.

What do you mean by a 'Linux textbook'?  Do you mean a guide to all
the command-line stuff like fold, grep and so on?  Or do you mean
system administration?

IMHO, rather than focussing on a particular operating system and how
to use it, you would be better off teaching the general principles of
operating systems, what they are, how they are designed, and so on.
Practical knowledge is better learnt by experience, although help from
experts is very useful.

--
Ed Avis

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mp3
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:10:35 -0700

I am running Stampede Linux 0.89 on a dual 90MHz Pentium machine.
Kernel is 2.2.1, custom compiled with SMP support.  The problem I am
having is with mp3 and Real Audio.  Whenever I try to play an mp3 file,
I either get lots of static or it plays very slooowwly; it sounds like
it's going in slow motion.  With Real Audio, I get nothing but static.
Do I have enough processing power to play either audio formats or did I
make a mistake during the install/configuration?  This is a dual boot
Linux/FreeBSD machine.  I have no problems playing mp3 files on FreeBSD,
although I do have to configure the soundcard as a basic Soundblaster.
I can't compile AWE32, midi or Soundblaster 16 support into the kernel
without ruining its ability to play mp3 files.  I would appreciate any
suggestions.  Thanks.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Printing from Linux to NT
Date: 20 May 1999 01:51:47 GMT

> Is it possible to use the printer of my NT server from my linux box?

Yes.

> I have a Laserjet 2 compatible printer and TCP/IP and lpd etc on NT
> installed, but I don't know how to configure samba to access my the
> printer on NT from my linux (suse 6.1)

You can access any WIN printing driver via smbclient. There is a section
about the 'print' command in the smbclient man page.

cu
        Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Physiology

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Jackson)
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: adns - alternative resolver library 0.2 ALPHA released
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 00:45:25 +0100 (BST)

The second public release of adns, 0.2 ALPHA, is now available.

adns is an advanced, easy to use, asynchronous-capable DNS stub
resolver library for C (and C++) programs.  For a full list of
features and benefits, see the adns www page, listed below.

This release is made available for review and testing.
Unfortunately there is no documentation yet, but experienced
programmers should find the commented public API header file
comprehensible.

For more information, including details of the adns mailing lists,
full documentation on-line and the distribution files, visit
 http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/
adns is also available via the GNU FTP site and its mirrors, listed
below.  0.2 ALPHA should be available at most mirrors by now.

If you have queries, please join the adns-discuss mailing list in
preference to mailing the author.  Thank you.

MD5 checksum:
e67b738a71c6867029690d9dace1be40  adns-0.2.tar.gz

Changes since last version (0.1 ALPHA):

  Portability fixes for compilation on various platforms:
  * Include <sys/socket.h> and <netinet/in.h> in files with <arpa/inet.h>.
  * Don't use GCC union assignment feature (.rrs=0 => .rrs.untyped=0).
  * Explictly cast things to [const] struct sockaddr* in syscall args.
  * Check whether we need -lsocket.
  * Include <sys/times.h> in a few more files.
  * Include <unistd.h> and <sys/time.h> for select.
  * Look for inet_aton and inet_ntoa (in -lnsl and -lsocket).
  * LDLIBS removed from dependency lists (some makes don't support this).
  * An `ambiguous else' warning from some compilers in types.c is removed.

  Other changes:
  * Added COPYING (copy of the GPL).
  * Regression test failure output improved.
  * Missing targets in regress/Makefile.in added.
  * Regression test doesn't rely on value of fcntl flags eg O_NONBLOCK.

[ For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Asia and Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.ieunet.ie/pub/gnu (Internet address 192.111.39.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim O)
Subject: Re: RedHat price...
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:34:53 GMT

On Thu, 20 May 1999 16:44:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > To be honest, really, I can't see how they
>> > can make any money at all at that price unless *very* few people
>> > actually call in with technical support problems.
>
>Perhaps they make money by providing *very* crappy tech support for end
>users!

I'd have to agree with that.  I've bought several full versions of
RedHat Linux more to support the development than for the 'perks' that
supposedly come with the commercial pack.  I tried to use the
technical support a couple times and found it VERY lacking. It's been
so disappointing that I've sworn never to buy a Red Hat package again.

 I agree that the money would be much better spent on a good Linux
book.

                tim.

------------------------------

From: Joe Strout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XWindows benchmark app?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 13:51:04 -0700

Is there an application that calculates benchmarks, in particular for
graphics operations under X?  Drawing rectangles, copying regions, and
generally shoving pixels around?

I just installed Linux, and the graphics performance is abysmally poor.
I'm going to start mucking around with newer/different drivers, X
servers, etc., but before I do I'd like to get some quantitative
measurements of exactly how poor the performance is.

Thanks,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.strout.net              |
Check out the Mac Web Directory!    http://www.strout.net/macweb.cgi

------------------------------

From: Fred Kuipers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SETI comparisons
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 02:36:49 GMT

Maybe I'll try this.. I have a PII-350 running Win 95 and a Cyrix 200 (non mx)
running RH Linux 5.9  It would be interesting to see...

FJK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: car mp3 player
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:09:17 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 19:32:10 GMT, rs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've actually made my own MP3 player which boots from DOS using a
>OCP251, which I hacked to utilize the joystick and an LCD display.
>
>It uses a p200 cpu and an asus socket7 MB, 32MB RAM and a standard
>SB16.  I have a 200MB IDE harddrive in a removable bay.  I could put a
>bootable ISO image or a bootable floppy diskimage file on the page if
>anyone is interested.
>
>Here is a link to the picture if anyone is interested.
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Chip/2359/2f.html

Frankly, this looks to me to be a good application for an "embedded"
system.

The handheld players (e.g. - Diamond Rio) are slick designs with minimal
moving parts.

The application doesn't too much call for the bulk of a wholesale
motherboard and the likes; the *major* thing that could be beneficially
added (to a Rio-like unit) would be a CD-ROM for greater mass storage.
>From what I can see, a 660MB ISO9660 CD-ROM could store on the order of
600 minutes of music, which is rather impressive.

Tossing in a hard drive and a full-scale PC motherboard seems to me to
be a grave diminishing of system reliability.

I guess it's cool to have "Linux-Controlled Automotive Systems," but I'd
personally rather pay $400 for an in-dash unit...
--
"...you might as well skip the Xmas celebration completely, and instead
sit in front of your linux computer playing with the

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: * * * Mindcraft offer to re-run Linux vs NT test
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:09:15 GMT

On 19 May 1999 18:26:06 GMT, Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Paul Gregg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>According to an email from Microsoft today, Mindcraft have offered to
>>rerun the NT Server vs Linux benchmarks which were all over the press
>>recently. As yet the Linux Community (should read RedHat( have failed
>>to respond. Perhaps someone with contacts can get someone in RedHat
>>to take note.
>
>Well, anyone with sufficient resources can do their own benchmarks
>and publish the results.  Red Hat certainly has the resources and
>incentive, but they're probably all engrossed in Linux Expo right now.
>I'd be quite surprised if they didn't come up with something soon.

Red Hat is engrossed in Linux Expo *plus* the 6.0 release.  That has
kept them *very* busy lately, I expect.

In any case, hardware vendors are usually the ones doing benchmarks.

Sunset Systems is a hardware vendor, no?  :-)
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxvars.html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremiah)
Subject: Re: Realplayer G2
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:16:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake thusly:
> Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html
>
> yay.  Has anyone gotten this to play most of the video clips on the Real.com
> showcase page?  On my box it plays audio fine but segfaults on most video,
> complaining that not all components may be installed.
> (Admittedly I've only got a 64MB 150mmx and they want a 64MB 200 but I doubt
> that's causing the segfaults).

        I had some luck getting some streaming clips to play: 1 out of
3 made it through.  The others segfaulted.  I didn't see any complaints
about components not being installed, though.   Still, it's an improvement
over 5.0...

Brian

--
email to bmeloon1 at twcny dot rr dot com.  evilquaker is a spam collector.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:55:24 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [Snip, I'm not even going to comment on the fear aspect.]

> > > Statistics don't bear you out.
> >
> > Unfortunately, they do.  Your chance of death by shooting in the
> > U.S. is about a factor of 5 higher than in comparable countries with
> > gun control.  The school shootings are just an insignificant top of
> > the iceberg.
> >
> > > The most successful way to defend against rape is with a handgun.
> >
> > What percentage of rapes has been avoided by the use of a handgun?
> > Have any statistics?
> >
> > > This does increase the risk of accidental shooting, and the risk
of
> > > the `hoodlum' getting the gun (from zero to something finite), but
> > > the risk of rape drops dramatically.
> >
> > Where have you got your numbers from?  How many rapists will let
their
> > victim fumble with her handbag?
> >
> > > Just because you believe you have no use for a gun doesn't mean
that no
> > > one has a need for one.  I don't need a gun to defend myself
either, but
> > > I am pleased that I have the right to if necessary.
> >
> > Unfortunately, so has everybody else.  And the persons that have the
> > best "private" use for guns are those you would not want to have
guns.

> It's interesting to note that the most likely reason for the "right to
> bear arms" is not to protect oneself from other citizens, but to
protect
> the citizenry from the government. Recall at the time of the american
> revolution the "government" was the enemy. Also note the way the bill
> of rights are written, i.e. the do not gaurantee your rights to free
> speech, or to due process ... They *prevent* the government from
> passing laws to restirct these "rights". Why do you have to *protect*
> the *people* from the government? The answer - human nature. There
> is always a certain percentage of humans who would willingly use
> whatever means(laws, rules, ...) to deprive you of life, liberty
> and the persuit of happiness. It's also a fundamental precept
> of any republic that the *people* are more powerful than the
> government. Throughout history it is almost always the other
> way arround, and I would venture to say a republic is a
> very difficult thing to acheive and to keep.

It's interesting to note what is actually being asserted here:  that
the purpose for which so many Americans purchase guns is to shoot
police officers, members of the National Guard and those of the
traditional Armed Forces.

Yes, we've seen more than enough of this kind of behavior at Waco, Ruby
Ridge and Oklahoma City.  It's unfortunate that so many RTKBA advocates
ignore the logical outcome of their own rhetoric.  Who chooses when to
"take up arms" against the gov't?  The individual.  According to the
RTKBA drones, McVeigh HAD A RIGHT to "revolt" against the gov't and
blow up the Fed Bldg.

Fortunately, the winds of common sense are slowly blowing away the
smoke and revealing the mirrors.  We have some hope of getting a grip
on reality in this country & getting the gun traffic under control.

mp

--
Michael Powe                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Success is the necessary misfortune of life, but

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can anybody recommend a multi-user email.
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:55:09 GMT

I have a Linux machine in a shared lab can anyone recommend a Multi-user
email client to put on it. to be used in a single guest account.

The other users are mostly computer illiterate, so needs to be nice
and simple point and click.

The only other requirement is that the Mail must be left on the server
and not clog up the Hard drive.

Thanks in advance Douglas.

From: Fred Kuipers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aliases.db error.
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:19:14 GMT

I'm running RH5.9 and whenever I use mail to send a message, after it
successfully sends the message, I get the following message:

hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/aliases.db: no such file or
directory.

Now /etc/aliases.db does not exist.  How do I create one??

TIA

FJK