From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: vmlinux vs vmlinuz
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:23:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   ashanti2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Leonard Evens wrote:
> >
> > > After upgrading to RH6.0, we find we have a vmlinuz-... of about
> > > 650K and a vmlinux-... of about 1.5 M.   Also, when we upgraded
> > > the kernel using the upgrade rpm package, we again got two
> > > such kernels.  rpm -qlp on the .rpm file shows both files.
> > >
> > > Our conjecture is that vmlinux is the uncompressed kernel.
> > > But what is it there for?   I tried making it an option in lilo,
> > > but lilo complained that it was too big.
<snip>

> guys.. i just burrowed through some older postings.. it seems that the
> real vmlinuz (boot image) is not the one in /usr/src/linux .. it's
> actually in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
>
> that's the boot image.. i suppose..
>
> i can't still figure out what vmlinux is..
>
> lets try this huh!!!

/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/vmlinuz is the propper one, if you are
using an i386 (instead of a SPARC or some-such).  /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
is, of course, the proper file to run gdb (debuger) on.  i think
something is said about this in the README or the FAQ that is in the
src/linux or src/linux/Documentation directory.

Latenar

------------------------------

From: Steen Suder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing ftpsearch on Linux?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 22:28:24 +0000

Steen Suder wrote:

> I'd like to set up an ftpsearch server
> (http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/search-info/software.html) running on Linux.
> I'd like to hear from someone who has already been there and perhaps
> succeeded.
>
> I know it's in the FreeBSD ports collection.
>
> Can it be done?

Well, I gave it a shot. I applied all eight patches and ran configure.
make ends in error when doing ftpcli.c.
Here is compiler output (from where there real errors start):

gcc -static -g -O2  -DHAVE_SIG_ATOMIC_T=1 -DHAVE_SYS_SELECT_H=1
-DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_LIBNSL=1 -DHAVE_LIBRESOLV=1
-DHAVE_LIBREADLINE=1 -DTIME_WITH_SYS_TIME=1 -DNO_MS160SE=1
-DHAVE_SNPRINTF=1 -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF=1 -DHAVE_GETPAGESIZE=1 -DHAVE_MLOCK=1
-DHAVE_INET_ATON=1 -DHAVE_SETENV=1 -DHAVE_UNSETENV=1
-DHAVE_SETPRIORITY=1 -DHAVE_MEMMOVE=1 -DBROKEN_MADVISE=1
-DFTPSEARCHROOT=\"/usr/src/ftpsearch-1.0\"   -c ftpcli.c -o ftpcli.o
In file included from /usr/include/bits/socket.h:252,
                 from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:34,
                 from ftpcli.c:43:
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:45: warning: `SOCK_STREAM' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:41: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:46: warning: `SOCK_DGRAM' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:44: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:47: warning: `SOCK_RAW' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:46: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:48: warning: `SOCK_RDM' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:48: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:49: warning: `SOCK_SEQPACKET' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:51: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
/usr/include/asm/socket.h:50: warning: `SOCK_PACKET' redefined
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:55: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
In file included from ftpcli.c:71:
myresolv.h:33: field `__h_errno_location' declared as a function
ftpcli.c: In function `FTP_Resolved':
ftpcli.c:684: parse error before `('
ftpcli.c:690: parse error before `('
ftpcli.c:690: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ftpcli.c:690: parse error before `('
ftpcli.c:695: parse error before `('
ftpcli.c:695: void value not ignored as it ought to be
ftpcli.c:696: parse error before `('
ftpcli.c: At top level:
ftpcli.c:709: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:710: parse error before `if'
ftpcli.c:716: parse error before string constant
ftpcli.c:716: conflicting types for `FTP_printlog'
ftpcli.c:470: previous declaration of `FTP_printlog'
ftpcli.c:716: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:717: parse error before `&'
ftpcli.c:717: conflicting types for `checkftplog_setstatus'
checkftplog.h:51: previous declaration of `checkftplog_setstatus'
ftpcli.c:717: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:718: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:718: conflicting types for `AsyncResolv_Free'
myresolv.h:59: previous declaration of `AsyncResolv_Free'
ftpcli.c:718: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:719: parse error before `->'
ftpcli.c:720: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:720: conflicting types for `FTP_Free'
ftpcli.c:391: previous declaration of `FTP_Free'
ftpcli.c:720: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:721: parse error before `void'
ftpcli.c:722: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:722: conflicting types for `FTP_Free2'
ftpcli.c:410: previous declaration of `FTP_Free2'
ftpcli.c:722: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:723: parse error before `return'
ftpcli.c:730: parse error before `&'
ftpcli.c:732: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:732: parse error before `}'
ftpcli.c:734: parse error before string constant
ftpcli.c:734: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:735: parse error before `&'
ftpcli.c:735: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:736: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:736: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:737: parse error before `->'
ftpcli.c:738: parse error before `->'
ftpcli.c:738: conflicting types for `free'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:484: previous declaration of `free'
ftpcli.c:738: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:739: parse error before `->'
ftpcli.c:740: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:740: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:741: parse error before `void'
ftpcli.c:742: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:742: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:743: parse error before `return'
ftpcli.c:746: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:746: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:747: parse error before `->'
ftpcli.c:748: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
ftpcli.c:748: conflicting types for `FTP_Conn1'
ftpcli.c:390: previous declaration of `FTP_Conn1'
ftpcli.c:748: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
ftpcli.c:749: parse error before `}'
ftpcli.c:1130: conflicting types for `FTP_Conn1'
ftpcli.c:748: previous declaration of `FTP_Conn1'
ftpcli.c:1354: conflicting types for `FTP_Free'
ftpcli.c:740: previous declaration of `FTP_Free'
ftpcli.c:1487: conflicting types for `FTP_Free2'
ftpcli.c:742: previous declaration of `FTP_Free2'
make[2]: *** [ftpcli.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ftpsearch-1.0/collect/newcollect'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ftpsearch-1.0/collect'
make: *** [all] Error 2

System is RedHat 6.0.

Any suggestions?

--
Best regards / Mvh.,
Steen Suder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Johnson)
Subject: Re: bash question: changing path within script?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 07:32:54 GMT

G. Pollack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I'd like to be able to change the path from within a bash script. The
> script, called set_path (with execute permission set, of course)
> consists of a single line:
>
> PATH=$PATH:/some/new/path
>
> Executing set_path results in no error messages, but inspecting $PATH
> from the command line, shows that it hasn't changed. The above command
> works fine, however, when typed in directly at the command prompt.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change the path from within a script?

When a shell executes a script, it executes the script in a separate
environment.  The script can affect its own environment and that of any
commands it executes, but it cannot affect the environment of the shell
that spawned it.

Contrary to what another poster said, exporting PATH won't affect this
behavior.

One way around this is to source your script, i.e., by preceding its
name with a period and a space:

    . set_path

Another way is to implement your script as an alias or as a shell
function.  Then you won't have to type the period.  Since the script is
only one line, you could add the following to your ~/.bashrc:

    alias set_path='PATH=$PATH:/some/new/path'

If you do this, make sure that your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile
sources your ~/.bashrc.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Larry Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ICQ and linux client
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:32:33 -0700

> the c compiler say it can't make executables........what is up with that?!?

larry

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Installing Netscape 4.61
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:37:21 GMT

loatherier wrote:

> Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > I use IE5.
> >
> > Me too. I find it MUCH more stable than any of the Netscape builds. Pity
> > MS doesn't get into the Linux buzz, I'm sure many people would still use
> > MS-Office under Linux, and IE.
i agree, but that would be admitting that people actually use it!

> > Not that open source is no good... but MS do have some reasonable
> > products and I think we could all benefit from some of them (like IE5).

again i agree with the idea, but the particular example bugs me. i found
netscape much more reliable

> MS doesn't need to get into the Linux buzz. What for? NT is the most stable
>operating system I ever used, even more so than Linux, in my humble opinion.

linux has crashed on me maybe once, and that was when i made a program
that forked and malloced in a while(1) loop.  if you don't know what
that means, it eats up all your memory at an alarming rate.  even then
it didn't die, i was simply forced to press the reset button

> Perhaps, some day, Linux may earn its place among the big boys. Until then, I won't
>hold my breath. MS products are good.  Love IE5 -- the best browser ever --and
>MS-Office. Those who can't see the quality of the above mentioned, are in the bottom
>of a deep damp cave struggling to get out while blaming Bill Gates for their
>misfortune.

IE5: i preffer lynx
MS-Office: vi will do
big boys: assuming you mean that MS is the "big boys", it seems to me
that it should be "big boy" if linux/unix isn't included.  if you must
complain about the presence of many names, then i shall say "POSIX
compliant machines are either the first or second most popular to MS
machines", replacing machines for os or box or whatever.

incidently, on a side note, i think i saw an ie5 download for linux on
the msn website a while back.  moreover, you can just use wine if you
need to

> Incidentally, Mac users make the same mistake.
quite frankly, i see no connection between the machine and the operating
system.  if you mean Mac-OS, that's a different story

i'll follow you and refrain from signing my post

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert V. Grizzard)
Subject: Re: Just a suggestion...
Date: 3 Aug 1999 22:43:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>On 3 Aug 1999 01:14:31 GMT, Robert V. Grizzard wrote:
>
>>That is the beauty of Usenet -- there is no sole single individual (in an
>>unmoderated newsgroup) who says, "This post may pass; that one shall not".
>>Jim,if you and Jeff (and I, for that matter) wish to post off-topic (again,
>>for the benefit of all you veteran Usenetters, I'm speaking here of
>>*un*moderated newsgroups) you (and I) may.  There is none who may stop us.
>
>The beauty of human nature, of course, is that when one notices that they
>are posting off-topic they may chose to set the Followup-To: to a more
>appropriate place.
>
>alt.dev.nul would fit much of the discussion, me thinks.

Absobloodylutely.

Richard Kulisz has a permanent home in my killfile.  When he realizes his
trolling isn't catching many new fish he starts up a new thread -- which
drops into my killfile upon the first respondent's follow up..

>>Were I to make one suggestion it would be to use an actual newsreader with
>>killfile functionality rather than Netscape.  This will subtract huge
amounts
>>from your irritation.
>
>That might be possible; except for the fact that more posters seem to join
the
>discussion every day, and with every new poster comes a new subject line.

The one I've most noted propagating new subjects is the aforementioned Kulisz.
 Then again, I'm here to learn about Linux and others' experience with it
rather than The Marxist Roots Of The Modern North American Hangnail so I don't
pay much attention to those threads except to killfile them when I trip across
one in my reading of the newsgroup.

>Geesh.. Atleast filtering sex ads is easy!

And these are *almost* as easy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: ppp problem, symptom: bad ping packets
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:13:13 GMT

Help!

Today I noticed that my PPP connection was showing lousy performance,
running telnet, some downloading, and lynx.

Pinging the other end of my PPP connection exhibited a strange behavior:
packets came through fine, EXCEPT when an HTTP connection was active.
Whenever I fetched a web page using Netscape, WWWoffle, or Lynx, I
started seeing lots of "wrong data byte #8 should be 0x68 was 0x63"
messages.

Once the HTTP transaction was complete, the packets would start
coming through clean again.

Also, the average turnaround time was about 270 ms, but ran up to
7-8 sec. during those "bad spells".

Finally, HTTP seems to be special: telnet, ftp, ping and ssh do not
seem to provoke this problem.

Is this a Linux bug? Performance degrades horribly whenever I'm using
the web! Help!

Len Budney

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: c++ grammer
Date: 3 Aug 1999 22:23:52 +0400

In comp.os.linux.misc jievis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi, All:
:    Where can I find the grammer for C++ writen in lex( or flex) and yacc
: (or bison),
:    Thanks in advance

Isn't g++ written on bison?

Victor Wagner @ home       =         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I don't answer questions by private E-Mail from this address.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lamont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Did SUSE 6.1 egcs lose C++???
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:21:12 +0100

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Heeeeeeeez back! wrote:

>Nope. You definately quoted about 40 lines of unneeded text at the end of
>the article...

>--
><10 line sig snipped>

Pots & kettles spring to mind?

--
Charles Lamont

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disk partitioning question for Dell Dimension XPS
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:53:23 -0500

Does this make sense to anyone?
We got a Dell Dimension XPS with a 13.7 Gig disk.  It came
of course with Windows 98 installed, and we planned to
resize it and then install Linux.   We installed Partition
Magic under Windows intending to use it to resize the
Windows partition.  But before attempting that, we discovered
that we could not get the nic working under Windows, and the
machine repeatedly hung on restart.  We
called Dell, and the Tech consultant after some false tries
decided the registry had got corrupted (the most likely
suspect being the installation of Partition Magic, not its
use, since we didn't use it, although
that does seem strange).   He had us run a special Dell
recovery which restored the disk to factory default by
copying from some hidden part of the disk.   The Tech
insisted this part of the disk was hidden from everything,
and that it would be wiped out by using Partition Magic
or by installing Linux.  He said that it would look to
Linux and Parition Magic as unused space, whatever that
is supposed to mean, and that it was outside the initial
Windows partition.   We started the Linux installation and
went far enough to run fdisk so we could examine the disk.
fdisk claimed the disk had 1662 cylinders and that the
Windows partition hda1 took up all 1662 of them.  The
amount of disk space from that number of cylinders came
to just about 13.7 GB.  Also running the Windows fdisk
seemed to confirm this.  So I don't see how there could be
anything outside the Windows partition.  Nor can I see
how the Dell recovery program could get access to it if
it were.   We did a defrag on the Windows partition and
discovered some sectors at the end of the disk were left
in place.  I suspect that is where the factory default
files are stored.   I also suspect that fips2 will fail
on this disk since there are files in the Windows partition
which can't be moved out of the way, but I don't know if
it would mess anything up or just give up.   I think
Partition Magic should in principle be able to handle
the situation.  But of course using it (or fips2 if it
works) could make the material for copying the factory
default not available under Windows.   Since this machine
is for a colleague who presently plans mainly to use
Windows, I am reluctant to proceed without a better understanding
of these issues.  Normally I would go ahead and install
Linux, and if Windows developed problems, I would reinstall
that also.  But it seems Windows on this machine has a hard
time finding drivers.  Earlier, we removed the network adapter from
the device drivers and had an awful time reinstalling it
because we couldn't convince Windows to look in the right
place.  So reinstalling all the Windows device drivers for
this machine could be a nightmare.

Any helpful information from people who have installed
Linux on a Dell Dimension would be appreciated.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Real*6 to float?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:59:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Please can anybody help me in converting a real*6 (Pascal!) to a float in
> c? Is there perhaps a standard facility for it, or is it not all that
> simple?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> Regards,
>   Gerard

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com
I hope someone answers your question.  I wanted to do the
same thing because I had a Turbo Pascal program which
stored data in binary format including some real fields.
I tried everything  I could think of to figure out how the
real data was encoded in binary format.  I was able to
separate that mantissa and exponent, but I never did figure
out the encoding.   I finally gave up and rewrote the
Pascal program to print out the reals as text strings.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Jarve, Jorgen (Jay)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape 4.61 Question.
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:20:18 +0100

I would like to change the font size in the Messenger preview pane
without changing the default font in Navigator but
View|Increase/Decrease Font is disabled.

Is there a way of getting Messager to start at the top of the message
when replying or forwarding rather than at the botton. (The signature as
well).

I've checked the Nescape FAQ but I could not find answers to any of
these questons.

Also, my Delete key works the same way as the backspace key. I'm running
Caldera 2.2, kernal 2.2.5.
Jorgen Jarve (Jay)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jamie)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Java makes Netscape crash
Date: 3 Aug 1999 18:19:54 GMT

s.c.park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am a newcomer to Linux/Unix. But, I solved the problem by installing
>kaffe which is a Java virtual machine.

I'm not familiar with kaffe.  How do you make it supersede Netscape's
own java?  I ask because someone suggested a JDK, which did nothing.

--
  jamie  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

                "There's a seeker born every minute."

From: "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Tagged Command Queue?
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 22:48:17 GMT

I've been running Linux's (v2.2.x) support for the Adaptec AIC-7895
SCSI controller without enabling Tagged Command Queues (TCQ) by
default.  Just out of curiosity today, I enabled it and tried to
detect a change in hard disk performance.

I figured that rebuilding the kernel would make a good test of file
I/O.  (My Makefile defines make as "make -j 2".  That should cause
multiple disk I/O operations to be pending at any given time.) I did 3
builds without TCQ enable, then 3 builds with it enabled.

My 2 SCSI hard disks:
        Seagate ST36530W (UW)
        Seagate ST34572W (UW)

I didn't see any change in performance, either better or worse.  I
didn't test the SCSI CD-ROM drive for a change in performance.  The
specs for the 2 hard disks above claim support for TCQ.

Now I'm even more curious about TCQ.  Is rebuilding the kernel a good
test for this?  Is this kernel config option really used by people
with SCSI hard disks?

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

------------------------------

From: David Frantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:36:11 -0400

loatherier wrote:

> Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > I use IE5.
> >
> > Me too. I find it MUCH more stable than any of the Netscape builds. Pity
> > MS doesn't get into the Linux buzz, I'm sure many people would still use
> > MS-Office under Linux, and IE.
> >
> > Not that open source is no good... but MS do have some reasonable
> > products and I think we could all benefit from some of them (like IE5).
>
> MS doesn't need to get into the Linux buzz. What for? NT is the most stable
>operating system I ever used, even more so than Linux, in my humble opinion.
>
> Perhaps, some day, Linux may earn its place among the big boys. Until then, I won't
>hold my breath. MS products are good.  Love IE5 -- the best browser ever --and
>MS-Office. Those who can't see the quality of the above mentioned, are in the bottom
>of a deep damp cave struggling to get out while blaming Bill Gates for their
>misfortune.
>
> Incidentally, Mac users make the same mistake.

What a crock of sh**

MS-Office especially the latest version and excluding EXCEL is one of the buggest most
convoluted application around.    Installing that or IE5 on any NT machine is going to
destabilize the machine.

dave

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 10:43:20 +1000
From: Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> MS doesn't need to get into the Linux buzz. What for? NT is the most stable
> operating system I ever used, even more so than Linux, in my humble opinion.

MS isn't as bad as many Linux advocates proclaim, but I wouldn't go as
far as saying what you have. NT is most definitely not y2k compliant,
and MS's release of Win2000 will come too late to be fully accepted
before Jan 1.

And Win98 - 16bit, crashes on a whim, etc etc.

I would like to see something in the PC world like MacOS-10: the typical
MS-Windows interface underlaid with a Unix OS (as opposed to crappy old
DOS), which could also run Dos/Win binaries natively... I can dream
can't I.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Newbie in Houston
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:46:14 GMT

On Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:33:17 GMT, Jacque Colbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Do you know of a Linux Users group in Houston?

Looks like there are a couple in your area:

http://www.linux.org/users/groups/usa/texas.html

I recommend Redhat 5.2 rather than 6.0 as I feel it's better to be a little
conservative when installing a server.  You can probalby find a book with a
copy of 5.2.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: "kim kubik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COMMERCIAL: Micro-ATX Linux Boxes from Sunset Systems
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:34:08 -0700

Tony Beaumont wrote in message ...
>> Sunset Systems announces brand-new availability of
Celeron-based
>> Linux boxes in high quality AOpen Micro-ATX tower cases
measuring
>> only 14x7x14 inches.
>
>You fail to mention the physical location of Sunset Systems. I'm
looking for
>a Linux box supplier in the UK.

Just to toss in an alternative (not, unfortunately for you Tony,
as the company is in Silicon Valley, not the UK),
ASL (www.aslab.com) sells a system based on the ASUS NLX
motherboard
that fits in a 10x13x3 inch case, if size is what matters (in this
situation, small size) with Red Hat installed.

FWIW, I am an owner, not connected with ASLab at all. I got one of
those
little 'Happy Hacker' keyboards and now have some room in my
apartment.

 - kim