From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI Question
Date: 23 May 1999 18:04:29 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Fri, 21 May 1999 21:44:43 GMT, wrote :

o> Hi John,
o>
o> My Pentium II with RedHat 5.2 has no problems ith both an Adaptec
o> 2940UW and an Adaptec 2902A both being installed at the same time.
o> Both are recognised at boot-up OK.

Right.  The *only* source of problem would be if you are booting from a
SCSI disk.  It is important that Linux assigns the right board to scsi
host 0.  In the case of a pair of PCI cards, you need to make sure that
the board that needs to scsi #0, is seen first on the PCI bus.  This is
mostly a matter if you had things set up with one SCSI board and then
added a second board later -- unless games & fun with boot and rescue
floppies is something you totally enjoy, you should make sure that the
added board is detected as scsi #1, by being 'later' on the PCI bus.

o>
o> Bill
o> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
o>
o> On 21 May 1999 10:22:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John
o> Hong) wrote:
o>
o> >    Would there be any problem with Linux if I have two SCSI cards
o> >that use the same kind of chipset?  In this case, a ASYS SC-875 and ASUS
o> >SC-200, both use NCR/Symbios chipsets (875/810).  Will this be any
o> >problem having both in the same machine for Linux?
o> >
o> >
o>
o>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux kernel source code online in HTML format?
Date: 23 May 1999 17:43:49 GMT

Bill Gates allegedly wrote:
>I remember seeing a website that had this, anyone know the URL?

Well...eh...here's one...probably not what you want, though <G>

http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/ahobgood/penguin.html

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:32:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Unclebob) wrote:

>On or about Sat, 22 May 1999 13:59:41 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>=>Does this mean I should not use the modem tool to get my modem working
>=>with this kernel?
>=>Because this is one of the problems I have been having with this kernel,
>=>that is not being able to get ppp support. I get an error message that
>=>ppp could not be loaded in the kernel.
>=>Thanx in advance
>=>Alan
>
>In the config, you were given the option of putting ppp in the kernel
>or as a module. If you did neither, then you will have to rebuild it.
>In the network option, check ppp y or m.

Yes I have, as a matter of fact I did it both ways and still I get that
error message. I even installed the latest pppd and still got the error
message.

>Then you should be able to choose the port, ttyS0, ttyS1 for com ports
>1 and 2. Modem tool I think, only creates a link between /dev/modem and
>/dev/cuax.

I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.2.7 and I am using the Red Hat 5.1
distribution. Fortunately I still have my old kernel so I am able to use
the ppp option with the old kernel.

Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance

Alan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 01:23:39 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Linux or linux?

Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

> Look a little around. We use in measurments units named after people
> and it is accepted to capitalise those. Hertz, Pascal, Newton, Avogadros
> number, are just few.
> As it is named (rightly or not) after the man that got the whole thing
> rolling it is Linux.
>
> Some accepted things are not given to interpretation.

Just like the Holy Bible.

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Subject: Re: REAL newbie question
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:02:04 GMT

On Sat, 22 May 1999 14:02:05 +0200, Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>How do I install packages that I download off the internet?

See "Compiling Tips" and the "Software Building mini-HOWTO" at

http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/index.html
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.2

Dave Cook

From: "Ron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Configuration for high-spec NFS server
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 20:44:24 +0200

Don't know about how many clients you're talking, but maybe you should take
a look at AFS, which is supposed to give a better performance...
news:7i76b7$7ej$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...