Linux-Misc Digest #340, Volume #20               Tue, 25 May 99 07:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: List of Colors for configuring? (me!)
  Re: Display X on TV? ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  Re: A Capitalists view of freedom (Richard Kulisz)
  Re: [?] lint for Linux ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  Re: Cannot compile kernel in RH 6 ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Re: Cannot compile kernel in RH 6 ("Jim Orfanakos")
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (MJ Ray)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (MJ Ray)
  Re: ATI Rage 3 Video Card (jim)
  Re: PS1 format (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: A Capitalists view of freedom (David Kastrup)
  Re: Accesing floppy from linux (Charly)
  Re: Linux and Win98 dual boot. ("Scout")
  Re: Any Linux distro on Hards Disks over 8 Gigs (Sylvia Wong)
  Re: Backing up Linux ("Ron van Middendorp")
  Re: Iomega products and Linux (Sylvia Wong)
  AOL access from Linux ("Lee, Anthony (EXCHANGE:MPK:4K02)")
  Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc (Robert Harley)
  Re: Favorite Linux Distribution (William Wueppelmann)
  Re: Accesing floppy from linux (William Wueppelmann)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (me!)
Subject: Re: List of Colors for configuring?
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:02:24 -0500

On Sun, 23 May 1999 11:39:20 GMT, Mianne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Reading through some of the config files they make reference to colours being
>something
>like 'SkyBlue', 'DarkGray' etc.
>
>Is there a list of these colors somewhere so I can configure Xwindows to my own
>colours.
>
>Please point me to resources or help where I can find this myself (I HAVE tried
>looking
>but with no luck!!!)
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mianne.

less `locate rgb.txt`

--
yours,
Andy

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Display X on TV?
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:52:08 +0200

Peter Caffin wrote:

> I think he knows that the resolution limitations are 640x480 on a PAL set
> and 640x440 on NTSC. This is in the PSC1106 Mini-HOWTO. His question

  Yeah, I know that. ;-)

> seemed more about display quality (ie, fuzziness and flicker) ;).

  I think technically it´s not very difficult to even reduce the lowest
signal
quality, but I don´t want to spend money on such a "solution".

  Thanks to everyone who responded.

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 25 May 1999 07:24:31 GMT

In article <7id6s1$hd8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I guess Ho Chi Mihn wasn't sane, either were the Afgan Rebels that tackled
>the Sovs.

In the first case, it was a foreign government and in the second, it
wasn't a First World government. The situation I describe doesn't apply
in either case.

>>Then you don't think too well. An armed citizenry *cannot* withstand
>>an organized army and anyone with more than a single functioning brain

>The KLA don't agree with you.  They are claiming victories against a very
>well equiped Yugoslav Army.

There is a spectrum with organized army at one extreme and armed citizenry
at the other. What gun-nuts who advocate "an armed citizenry" mean is a
chaotic bunch of yahoos (the rednecks of the NRA); the KLA doesn't compare.

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [?] lint for Linux
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:59:47 +0200

Scott Smith wrote:

> gcc -Wall -pedantic -ansi hello.c
     ^
     add "-W"

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot compile kernel in RH 6
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:09:19 GMT

Thanks for that great input and help.  It is people like you who help
newbies with help and constructive remarks that make this newsgroup and
Linux a great learning experience!!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:06:32 GMT

Thanks.  I did not realize that 'make bzImage' was an alternate to 'make
boot'.  I was looking for a file or a command 'bzImage'.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: MJ Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: 25 May 1999 11:00:47 +0100

Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If you GPL your code you have just given me the right to hijack it.

For non-standard values of "hijack".

> An even better example is the Sendmail company.  How they are getting away
> with this level of proprietariness with the GPL is beyond me.

# Copyright (c) 1983, 1995-1997 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988 The Regents of the University of California.
# All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:  [snip]

Strange GPL, that.

--
MJR
                http://www.stu.uea.ac.uk/

------------------------------

From: MJ Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.help,linux.news.groups,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 25 May 1999 10:48:07 +0100

Erik Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Personally I believe in open source, I'm a Linux advocate, but I don't
> understand the "you must be totally open source or you must die crowd."
> Why must so many people be such extremists?  Or are they just mimic'ing the
> antics of their fearless hero, Stallman?
> All that the "open source it or else threat" is going is keeping commercial
> software companies from entering the Linux market due to fear.  This IMO
> is not a good thing and this does not promote Linux.

It's not really a case of "open source or you must die" as you put it,
more a case of accepting that most (all?) companies will die sometime
and we'd rather not be stuck reverse-engineering your useful product
after you've gone.  So most of the time, if something is useful, an
open clone will appear before too long so that we can direct effort to
that which will continue forever, rather than continue building up the
inevitably doomed closed product.

If you go open, regardless of licence, make sure that if the code is
orphaned, we can take it and continue it if we want.

After all, I feel that that's the major attraction of open code: if
one of our critical suppliers die, we could employ someone ourselves
to maintain it.  It's also your way of sticking around after your
company is gone.  *That* is "software that doesn't suck".

> Because from my point of view it looks like the GPL has the monopoly on
> the free licenses.  Like I said just look at freshmeat. [snip]

Rubbish.  FM != accurate view of the world, no matter how much we'd
like it to be.

> He has the power to do some serious badness with that "supercedes previous
> GPL versions" like clause.  Will the sky fall?  Probably not.

Every licence has its flaw.  Live with it.  GPL gives you the choice
to trust the FSF or tether yourself to a specific version which may
later be shown to be legally flawed.  Your call.

From: jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 3 Video Card
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:40:39 GMT

Zoran Bebic wrote:

> What type of card is that exactly. When I was installing drivers for my Rage
> Pro I saw an alternate name as ATI Rage 3 means Rage Pro. But then I could
> also be wrong....(can't remember precisely).....Did you try with any other
> older driver, 'cos with ati it just may work, or not, anyways it's worth
> trying...
>
> Nik Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have been searching and searching and I can't find a driver for my new
> > ATI Rage 3 Video card. The card is so new that it wouldn't surprise me
> > if it takes a bit of time for a driver to come out.
> >
> > But I was wondering if any one had already gotten it to work? Or if
> > anyone has heard of a driver being developed?
> >
> > Thanks

I have the same issue . I think he may mean the rage fury 128bit 32meg  agp
card.
at least thats the issue i have.

Jim

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PS1 format
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 08:24:25 GMT

>       What is the format of the PS1 variable?
Heavily depends on the shell what you are using... (is it bash ?)
> I want to change my prompt to something like:

>       tty2 clyde$
>
> when I'm logged on terminal 2 and in directory "clyde".

If you use bash (?) change in your ~/.bash_profile the 'PS1' :
  export PS1='$(tty) ${PWD} $'

I use PS1='\d \t' for date and time to show.
You can find every other parameters in 'man bash', search for 'PS1'.

--
Mihaly Gyulai
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 25 May 1999 12:25:41 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Wilson) writes:

> Just as I believe that a person should be presumed innocent until
> proven guilty, I believe that a person should be presumed
> responsbible enough to use a gun until they demonstrate otherwise.

After they demonstrated otherwise, quite a few people may be dead.
The U.S. requires a license for driving a car for that reason.  It
does not require a license for a gun capable of killing many more
people.

> I don't believe in punishing those who are responsible by forcing
> them to go through the trials and tribulations that an irresponsible
> person should have to go through.

A responsible person should not find that proving it is both capable
and willing to use his/her weapon in a responsible way in an
appropriate licensing procedure very hard.  People that find it a
tribulation to demonstrate that they can properly handle a gun most
probably can't.

> >I don't think that "anti-gunners" are of the opinion that the guns are
> >committing crimes and should be punished.  But I don't see why it
> >should be deemed necessary to furbish people at variance with a
> >convenient means to kill one another.
>
> I do, but then again, I don't consider killing to be be an action
> that is unconditionally bad.  It is commonly claimed by the
> anti-gunners that the primary purpose of a gun is to kill, which is
> why they believe guns to be bad.  Well, personally, I'm not a
> pacifist -- I consider killing in self-defense to be a perfectly
> legitimate form of killing, which is why I consider guns to have a
> perfectly legitimate purpose.

Then why do you object wildly against even the most basic precautions
to ensure that indeed the guns are used to a legitimate purpose?

> I would say that an innocent person has the right to defend himself
> against any attacker, even if that attacker is a representative of
> the state.  I am not one of those people who believe that one has a
> moral obligation to obey the law, regardless of what the law is.

Ok, so you would propose that citiznes should have the means and right
to shoot officers of the law in case they, for example, come with
bulldozers to pull down some building you have erected against state
laws, right?

Ok, thta is your private opinion.  But you must certainly see that it
cannot be in the state's interest to support this opinion of yours.

> For example, I don't use recreational drugs, but I do favor people's
> right to use them if they so desire (although I wouldn't necessarily
> consider all recreational drug usage to be intelligent).  I consider
> this right to be an implication of the right of self-governance,
> which I advocate.  Because I consider both the political institution
> of representative democracy *and* the ban upon recreational drug use
> to be an infringement upon this right, I don't acknowledge any
> obligation to abide by them.  If the DEA's thugs were to break into
> the house of a marijuana dealer (which they often do), I would
> support the right of the occupants to use deadly force to defend
> themselves against such an invasion.  However, it would be incumbent
> upon the occupants to demonstrate that their use of force was
> employed defensively against a threat to their person or property
> rather than against an innocent person, so as to insure to other
> members of the community that they're not a threat to innocent
> people.

So you consider police officers enforcing the laws as criminals (as
opposed to innocent people) and consider shooting them when they are
sent to uphold the law an appropriate measure.

I can understand you have some dread considering licensing.  A person
expressing these views is *indeed* not one that would get a gun
license easily.

> I'm opposed to committing any form of lynching, as such an action is
> retaliatory in nature, and not defensive.  Immediate defensive
> action is required during an instance of aggression.  However,
> *after* such instances, when it is necessary to apprehend the
> aggressor so as to exact compensation for his action or deliver
> punishment, those suspected as responsible must be proven
> responsible before any compensation is exacted or punishment
> delivered.  A court procedure adjudicated by a neutral party that
> both the injured party and the suspect can agree upon is required if
> the injured party is to achieve justice for himself without wrongly
> convicting an innocent person.  A lynch mob does not respect the
> right of due process, and hence can easily end up punishing innocent
> people.  That is why I oppose lynching, despite the fact that I
> support the right to use immediate use of *defensive* force by those
> who are threatened or endangered by others.

Oh, lynching is perfectly defensive.  It is a way of defending the
community against further outrages.  It should be an everyday exercise
after shooting a police officer to atone by taking the law into one's
own hand and deliver the justice the police officer cannot serve any
longer to some creep or weirdo or generally guilty looking person.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: Charly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Accesing floppy from linux
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:41:11 +0200

MBommana wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed Redhat linux  4.2 on my computer.
> Whenever i try to mount a floppy using the command
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> Thanks
> Murali

If your floppy disk is a msdos floppy then you can access it without
mounting it
by the msdos command with "m" before (e.g. >mdir a: or >mcopy . a:).
I'm not sure but I think you need a thing in your kernel such as msdos
filesystem
or something like that.

Hope this helps

------------------------------

From: "Scout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,iupui.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Linux and Win98 dual boot.
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 22:56:15 -0500

I had problems with my 2 gb maxtor loading Redhat 6.  The drive came with a
utility called EZbios, which was supposed to help Win 95 and older versions
of windows and dos with the large partition issue.  I did a reset with the
EZbios utility back to original conditions and POW,  loaded win98 first in a
1gb part.  (since it wipes the MBR where LILO resides), and then RH6 in the
second 1gb part.  LILO comes up at boot, type "dos" for windows, "linux" for
linux and I'm off.

About your booting to floppy issue, does your bios have a way to select the
drive and the order with which the system tries to boot?  In other words,
can you set the system to boot to CD first?  RH6 has a bootstrap on the CD,
so you can boot from CD.  I would not attempt any low level format of the
ide drive.  You'll surely smoke it.  If all else fails, don't be afraid to
completely start from scratch as long as you have your win98 CD.  I would do
an fdisk and delete all partitions and start over.  I think after you do
this about 10 times, you'll become quite proficient at it (words of
experience).  I ran through this routine about that many times on my son's
computer before I finally got it all where I was happy.

Scott Prive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm having an error, same as this fellow: Kernel Panic: VFS
>
> I don't have a Linux boot disk because Linux isn't installed. I have only
the
> install floppy and install CD for each of Windows 98 and Red Hat 6.
>
> I have a primary HD on IDE#1 which is 17.5 GB. There is no secondary on
IDE#1.
> On IDE#2 I have a 2.5 GB IDE drive, and a CD-ROM slaved off it.
>
> I can't even boot off the Linux boot floppy to fix whatever is wrong with
boot, and
> DOS/Win's "fdisk /mbr" doesn't seem to help. The drive "used" to have
installed
> onto it a Maxtor patch that allowed my older (no longer in use)
motherboard to
> support drives beyond 8.4 GB.
>
> The Award BIOS in my Tyan 1590/AMD K62 450 does not have a format hard
drive as far
> as I could tell.
>
> ANY working dual-boot configuration would make me happy, but preferrably I
would
> not use the second hard drive for either OS since I may build a second
computer
> with it.
>
> Any help is most appreciated. I had a working Linux configuration on this
system
> for 6 months, but then I had to lose it by reinstalling Linux and Windows
98 (I
> wanted to reinstall because of the new CPU, and because I no longer needed
the damn
> hard drive boot patch). Now I'm dead in the water. :(
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Prive
>
> TMussnig wrote:
>
> > "J. Merritt" schrieb:
> >
> > > I'm trying to set up a dual boot system with Red Hat and Win98
> > > I used a mini-how - to posted at
> > > http://www.eskimo.com/~praxis/win98.html
> > >
> > > it has you create a few batch files and a menu that asks for the OS to
load.
> > > It seems to load but I get the following errors while linux is
> > >
> > > VFS: cannot open root device 08:22
> > > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:22
> > >
> > > any ideas?  I have two HD's the first is 4.3GB and is solely for
WIN98.  The
> > > second is a 1.2GB that
> > > is entirely partitioned for Linux.  The problem is I can not recall
what
> > > partition it was on.  Right before the error
> > > it lists:
> > >
> > > hda1, hda2, (hda5)
> > > hdc1, hdc2, (hdc5), (hdc6)
> > >

> > I suppose, that you have both disks installed as a primary master, in
which I
> > suppose, you have
> > your Win98 Harddisk installed on the first IDE-Controller, (/dev/hda)
> > and your Linux on the second IDE-Controller (/dev/hdc).
> >
> > If you don't know on which partition your root-filesystem is, check this
out:
> > c:\loadlin c:\vmlinuz root = /dev/hdc2 ro (if it's the root)
> >                                          ^^^^^^^^^^ -> change this line
in your
> > linux.bat - see below
> > else try /dev/hdc1. (with the edit.com etc...)
> >

> > > in the linux.bat file there is a command:
> > >
> > > c:\loadlin c:\vmlinuz root = /dev/hda3 ro
> > >                                         ^^^^^^^^
> > > it says to substitute the hda3 for what ever partition linux is
installed
> > > on.  I originally didn't have loadlin or vmlinuz on the c: so I copied
them
> > > from the CD.  In WIN98 I am unable to see the second drive but it
shows up

> > If you copy the kernel (vmlinuz) under DOS to different locations, you
won't be
> > able to
> > get it started, because DOS inserts CR's at each end of line, so you
destroy
> > your kernel.
> > Do it under linux with the cp command and NO CR's were inserted.
> >
> > > in the start up.  I just can't access it with windows explorer et al.
Any
> > > ideas would be greatly appreciated...
> > >

> > Windoze knows ONLY itself (M$), no other file-systems, so it's "normal"
:)
> > Linux is quite different, 'coz Linux CAN handle more than itselves...
See your
> > ReadME, etc.
> >
> > > Please CC me in reply
> > >
> > > John Merritt
> > > Indianapolis, IN
> >
> > Be sure, if you want to boot Linux, that NO DOS programmes will be
executed
> > before,
> > initrd might have problems.
> >
> > I solved this problem with a boot menue:
> > Put this in your
> > CONFIG.SYS:
> >
> > [menu]
> > menuitem A=MS-DOS V7.0 & Win'98
> > menuitem B=Linux V5.3
> > menudefault=A,5
> > rem means: for Standard boot item A (Win) in 5 secs. while no key
pressed
> > rem otherwise select what you want to boot with your cursors - you got 5
sec.

> > [A]
> > DOS=HIGH,UMB
> > shell=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /e:4096 /p
> > FILES=60
> > BUFFERS=60,0
> > DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WIN98\EMM386.EXE ON noems
> > devicehigh=C:\WIN98\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> >
> > [B]
> > rem ....really.... here's nothing....  ;-))
> >
> > AUTOEXEC.BAT:
> >
> > @ECHO OFF
> > PATH C:\WIN98;C:\WIN98\COMMAND
> > SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
> > SET TMP=C:\TEMP
> > goto %config%
> >
> > :A
> > LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD0
> > lh C:\WIN98\COMMAND\DOSKEY.COM /INSERT
> > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WIN98\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
> > mode con codepage select=850
> > goto end
> >
> > :B
> > c:
> > cd\loadlin
> > linux hdx
> > rem (were x stands for your Linux-partition) i.e. hdc, hda, etc...
> > goto end
> >
> > :end
> >
> > If this will NOT operate on your system, please post me the details what
Linux's

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sylvia Wong)
Subject: Re: Any Linux distro on Hards Disks over 8 Gigs
Date: 25 May 1999 10:47:07 GMT

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Jack Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to put Caldera Open Linux 1.3 and a new Dell machine with a
>> 14 Gig hard disk that already has Win NT on some partitions. The Linux
>> fdisk seems unable to cope with the large disk; it recognizes only 8
>> gigs of the 14 gigs, and gives warnings about the NT partitions being

I don't know about Caldera's distro, but to boot linux for a drive bigger
than 8 gig, you need to give the kernel the details (cylinder/head/sector)
of your drive.
At the boot prompt (maybe boot:) type
boot: linux hda=1245,255,63

These numbers are for my primary master disk. You'll have to substitue
it with your own. You can find you numbers in the bios.  By the way, I use
Redhat and the first thing you see when you boot off the install cd is the
boot prompt.

--
Auckland research student, an endangered species.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ron van Middendorp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backing up Linux
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:51:39 +0200

U could use TAR in combination with Gzip.

Ron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sylvia Wong)
Subject: Re: Iomega products and Linux
Date: 25 May 1999 10:54:48 GMT

On 24 May 1999 22:04:09 -0400, Dominic Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>to Iomega ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) that if this is the policy
>they want to adopt then the Linux community will have to consider
>products from a friendlier company.

I totally agreed with you. I recently bought a zip drive. I knew at that
time that they're supported under linux (we've them at uni). I read the
manual and was suprised that other minority OSes are supported (incl os/2
and mac) but not linux, not even any unixes. I rang the company to tell
them that this is not good enough and the only respond I get is "we do not
support unix".  I now wonder what would happen if the drive failed while
it's still under warranty.

From: "Lee, Anthony (EXCHANGE:MPK:4K02)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AOL access from Linux
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:52:35 -0700

Is this possible? - using AOL from Linux?
The tech support at AOL I spoke to didn't know what Linux is.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Anthony Lee

------------------------------

From: Robert Harley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc
Date: 25 May 1999 12:53:18 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:
> Compare to the virtual nonexistence of motherboards for MIPS and StrongARM;

Try:
  http://www.chaltech.com/products.html

It can run NetBSD or Linux:
  http://www.chaltech.com/linux.html

Prices here:
  http://www.simtec.demon.co.uk/chal.html

Bye,
  Rob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: Favorite Linux Distribution
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:14:42 GMT

In our last episode (Mon, 24 May 1999 03:07:01 GMT),
the artist formerly known as [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>What I want to know is this: what are the consensus favorite
>distributions and why?  I have read up on just about every
>distribution I can find and cannot deceide between RH6.0, Caldera 2.2,
>and S.u.S.E.

Why decide at all?  Choose Debian (if nothing else, at $3 for the 3 CD set,
it's the least expensive way to go, but there are other reasons to go with
Debian as well).  Or perhaps you might want to really get your hands dirty
and try Slackware.

Seriously, if you really cannot decide, install several of them.  You
probably will want 300-500 MB for each one you install, but they can all
share the same swap partition (well, whether or not they can do this safely
for crash-recovery pruposes, I don't know, but I did it anyway).  I had
Slackware and Redhat and then Redhat and Debian going simultaneously for
several months before I decided to get rid of Redhat and stick with Debian.
It's also great for learning, since you can keep one as your stable system,
play with the other, and if it dies or you decide you've made a mess of
things and want to completely reinstall, you can boot the other and access
the broken one via the working one (either to fix it or to copy important
work and other files before reinstalling over the broken one)

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:14:41 GMT

In our last episode (24 May 1999 05:19:28 GMT),
the artist formerly known as MBommana said:
>Hello,
>
>I have installed Redhat linux  4.2 on my computer.
>Whenever i try to mount a floppy using the command
>mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>i get the following error message
>
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>floppy0: probe failed ...
>end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0
>above message repeats
>
>The light glows on the floopy drive remains on.
>I have a 3.5 in NEC floppy drive.
>
>I hope someone can help me.
>Please write me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], if you know
>a solution to my problem.

Is there a disk in the drive?