Linux-Misc Digest #340, Volume #24                Tue, 2 May 00 05:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Digital Research Technologies (DRT) UDMA/66 Card and SIS 5597 ("John Mazza")
  Re: XMMS only runs as root ("Gil F.")
  Re: linux hd problems (Matthew Gatto)
  Re: How do I shutdown my PC? ("vector_sector")
  Re: rebooting wipes loopback interface (lo) (bluto)
  Re: Executing own program fails - command not found ("Peter T. Breuer")
  help synchronizing threads......... (Bonny Gijzen)
  2GB file size limit? ("Jake J Sadowski")
  How do I set the clock properly???? (Bo Berglund)
  Re: 2GB file size limit? (brian moore)
  Adding new app. in the right-click menu(X)?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Journal Python supplement (Graham N Hays)
  Linux newbie (ary)
  Re: re-installed windows now system does not recognize LiLO (Duane Evenson)
  Re: inetd, named, httpd when to start and stop. (Villy Kruse)
  Partitioning (Alex Borghgraef)
  Re: inetd, named, httpd when to start and stop. (Jonathan Mendez)
  Re: How do I set the clock properly???? ("Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]")
  Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon (Michael Borgwardt)
  Re: How do I set the clock properly???? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  iBCS (Paul Oldham)

From: "John Mazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardawe,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Digital Research Technologies (DRT) UDMA/66 Card and SIS 5597
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 04:32:55 GMT

Does anyone know of a driver or a technique to use this card with any flavor
of Linux?  I have tried it, and it is flat-out not recognized.  DRT has been
as useful as a football bat in helping to solve this problem.  Due to my
existing Win95 and NT setup, I really can't blow away my drives and start
over, and of course, Linux needs to be installed to a drive on the DRT
controller.

Also, has anyone had luck getting Linux to work properly with the SIS
5597/5598 video controller chips?  On my machine it results in an unusable
display.

Thanks in advance all!!!

------------------------------

From: "Gil F." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XMMS only runs as root
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:11:25 +0400

Hi

Try

chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/audio

HTH,

Gil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Gatto)
Subject: Re: linux hd problems
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 05:18:46 GMT

Some info is needed here before anyone can recommend what to do..

1) Is your "D:" a partition or a separate drive?

2) Is it a windows formatted drive/partition? If it is, and win can't
   see it, it's most likely trashed. although.. make sure you have
   installed the drivers for it (if it's a separate drive), before
   assuming it's trashed because windows can't see it.

Installing linux (using a distro) won't harm/overwrite any partitions
already there unless the partition-table is screwed up, in which
case.. it won't matter if you overwrite it since that
partition probably isn't able to be recovered (unless you wanna
attempt to recover with recovery software).

--
~MGatto~

"Tech support?!!??! We don't need no stekin tech support!?!"
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>

------------------------------

From: "vector_sector" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I shutdown my PC?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 2 May 2000 14:20:38 +0800

try also :
shutdown -h now
poweroff
halt
at the command prompt ofcause

Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: bluto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rebooting wipes loopback interface (lo)
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 06:28:34 GMT

Duane Evenson wrote:

> I didn't have a loopback interface (lo).
> netstat -rn
> shows no interfaces.
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
> route add 127.0.0.1 lo
> adds the loopback interface. I can then run C-forge server (but only as
> root).
> netstat -rn shows the interface.
> If I reboot, the loopback interface doesn't exist.
> What do I check/do??
>
> Thanks, Duane

I had the same problem

  What I was doing wrong was exiting X, while I still had
the Network Configurator from the "control-panel" open...
  Every time it wiped out my lo and eth0 entries
Now I am very careful to close all application before
exiting X..

hope this helps
bluto

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Executing own program fails - command not found
Date: 2 May 2000 06:19:25 GMT

Karsten Wutzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> From a security standpoint, I would NOT recommend putting "." in your PATH.
:> Rather put you program in a directory that is in your PATH, like
:> /usr/local/bin

: May I ask why?

No you may not. You may read the unix FAQ instead, or backtrack up this
group, or any other unix group, for the millionth explanation of why.

From: Bonny Gijzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help synchronizing threads.........
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:28:01 -0400

Help,

I need help synchronizing threads.

One thread is waiting on a condition, the other thread is signalling the

condition.
This works, but not always.

If the condition is signalled BEFORE the other thread is waiting for
this condition,
then the signal is lost.
The second thread is then for INFINITE time waiting on the condition.

Is there a possibility that a condition, will keep his signal
information ??

Regards Bonny Gijzen,

------------------------------

From: "Jake J Sadowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2GB file size limit?
Date: 2 May 2000 06:31:38 GMT

Does linux limit files to 2GB in size ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Subject: How do I set the clock properly????
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:12:50 GMT

My RH5.2 system is constantly running one hour off, showing 10:00 when
it is actually 9:00 etc.
How can I go about changing the clock?
I have tried /sbin/hwclock --set --date=07:00 (since we are 2 hours
away from GMT) but it does not help at all. In fact when I changed the
hwclock one hour the date command still returned the old hour setting.

Please advice which commands to use in succession to do the following:
1) Interrogate/set the time zone (central european daylight savings
time)
2) Interrogate/set the clock

I am a poor Windows user with a Linux machine running as a test bed
for web development so I am not real versed in how all these command
line commands should be typed. Please be specific in your advice.

PS:
How can you clear the screen when you connect to a Linux machine using
Telnet from Windows NT? When I do this and try to use the man pages
the screen gets all cluttered and misformatted (can't read man hwclock
for instance) and I want to clear it all out and start over. CLS does
not work like it did on MS-DOS. There must be a corresponding
command?????
DS

TIA

Bo Berglund
Software developer in Sweden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP: My public key is available at the following locations:
Idap://certserver.pgp.com
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: 2GB file size limit?
Date: 2 May 2000 07:17:13 GMT

On 2 May 2000 06:31:38 GMT,
 Jake J Sadowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does linux limit files to 2GB in size ?

On x86?  Yes.  On 64-bit machines?  No.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Adding new app. in the right-click menu(X)??
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:07:30 GMT

Hi,
I am using lesstiff window manager. When I right-click in the screen I
get a pop-down menu listing several applications like 'xpdf, xdvi,
netscape' etc.
I want to add few new applications to this list, how do I do that?
I tried the following :

1> Putting the <application>.desktop file at  required
places(/usr/share/.. , /etc/X11/applnk/.. , ~/GNUStep , ~/.gnome/.. )
but without any benefit.

2> RTFM

3> tried querying on searchlinux.com and the FAQ's

I couldn't find an answer. Can anyone please tell me how do I add a new
application to the pop-down menu list ?

Apologies if this is a FAQ ... (although I have searched them)

Thanks in advance.
-- Jahagir.

--
Ships Are Safe In Harbour,
But They Are Not Meant To Be There.

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:25:07 +0100
From: Graham N Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Journal Python supplement

Allen Ashley wrote:

> John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Yes, I thought that was a little unusual for Linux Journal...
> >In keeping with the general Monty Python theme..the cover is from the 70's TV
> >series opening where a similarly attired Michael Palin said " It's...."  and
> >then the Monty Python theme started.
>
> My recollection is the piano player was Terry Jones.

Your both correct IIRC.

Palin said the "it's" and jones was on the piano.

------------------------------

From: ary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux newbie
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:30:04 GMT

Hi everyone,

I'm a Linux newbie, and am trying to install Redhat 6.1. I have to setup
this o/s in diffrent system which some of the motherboard is bulid in and
not.I'm having problem were the o/s did'nt boot up normally with the system
using build In( Video Display & sound Card) .At the moment the error
massage appear during the X configuration setup.Currently I'm using
grapical login during X configuration setup.I don't know wheter the RH 6.1
can run on build In system. After the setup completed and reboot.This
massage appear for the 1st time login.

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2..12 -20 on an i686

localhost login login :
Password :
last login Tue May 1 14:47:16 on tty1
[ary@localhost ary]$

what I should type after I key in my login and password?So far I'm having
problem with this login and where I can find the right way to setup RH 6.1.

Does anybody know how to fix this?  Appreciate if you can help me on
this. Thank you,

Rgds
Ary

From: Duane Evenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: re-installed windows now system does not recognize LiLO
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 01:32:04 -0600

Here's a final solution, and possibly the easiest. If you placed the lilo boot
loader in your Linux boot partition, its still there. Windows just made itself
the active partition.
Use DOS's (or anyone's) fdisk to make the Linux partition the first active
partition. Voila, no boot disks or updating.
If you placed lilo in the MBR (dev/hda) instead of a boot partition (dev/hda2)
then you'll have to use one of the previous fixes. In the future, put lilo in a
boot partition. It also helps to have a copy of loadlin.exe on your Windows
drive (to boot Linux from DOS).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: inetd, named, httpd when to start and stop.
Date: 2 May 2000 08:04:32 GMT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:37:51 GMT,
        Thaddeus L. Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Question is simple enough. THese weren't setup to start at boot by my
>instal, so is there a place where the "standard" way of setting up the
>startup scripts should be written?

Can't tell without knowing which distribution and version.  Probably
can't tell anyway, but someone else might when given enough information.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Alex Borghgraef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Partitioning
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:11:58 +0200

 I'm trying to install Debian on my pc, but I've run into a problem
partitioning my hd.
I have two hd's, one hda which is fully W95, and one hdb which did
contain a 1Gb W95
partition, another 1,5Gb W95 partition, a 1Gb SuSE linux ext2 partition
and a small linux
swap partition. I wanted more space for linux, so I used cfdisk in the
Debian setup to delete
the three big partitions, and make one 1Gb W95 partition and one 2.5Gb
linux partition.
When I completed the Debian setup and rebooted, lilo didn't want to
start, and when I tried
booting from the created Debian bootfloppy, I got the following message:

 e2fsck: Bad magic number in superblock while trying to open /dev/hdb6
(that was the new
linux partition).
Then some more stuff about it not being a correct ext2 file system.
What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?

--
Alex Borghgraef

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Mendez)
Date: 2 May 2000 08:19:33 GMT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 03:37:51 GMT, Thaddeus L. Olczyk wrote:
>Question is simple enough. THese weren't setup to start at boot by my
>instal, so is there a place where the "standard" way of setting up the
>startup scripts should be written?

This isn't a lot of information to go by, but try chkconfig.  "chkconfig --list"
will give you a list of what runs at each runlevel.  Man chkconfig for more
information.

Jonathan

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I set the clock properly????
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:11:18 +0100

Bo Berglund wrote:

> My RH5.2 system is constantly running one hour off, showing 10:00 when
> it is actually 9:00 etc.
> How can I go about changing the clock?
> I have tried /sbin/hwclock --set --date=07:00 (since we are 2 hours
> away from GMT) but it does not help at all. In fact when I changed the
> hwclock one hour the date command still returned the old hour setting.
>
> Please advice which commands to use in succession to do the following:
> 1) Interrogate/set the time zone (central european daylight savings
> time)
> 2) Interrogate/set the clock

Hi,

Run 'timeconfig' to set your location/timezone. You can set the clock to
Hardware GMT if the machine dosen't use Windows - as Windows can't cope.

Set the time with the date command (as root)

eg

date 05020908

Will set the time to May 2 9:08

Use 'setclock' to  write the current system time to the CMOS clock.

HTH

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Borgwardt)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon
Date: 2 May 2000 08:42:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I wake up to a horrific reality that some computer manufacturers may be
> trying to suppress and uproot Linux and all other free Operating
> Systems. How? They make computers that do not read nor write those free
> OS bootdisks in drive A. It is a very bad trick upon us free OS users.

I really don't think it's intentional, it may just be a technical problem.

I've recently run into the same phenomenon in a Toshiba notebook.
Linux installation bootdisks tend to use Syslinux as a bootloader, and
the Toshiba couldn't boot it, despite having no problems with LILO
or a Kernel written raw to floppy.

--
Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2 May 2000 08:43:47 GMT

Bo Berglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: My RH5.2 system is constantly running one hour off, showing 10:00 when
: it is actually 9:00 etc.
: How can I go about changing the clock?
: I have tried /sbin/hwclock --set --date=07:00 (since we are 2 hours

/sbin/hwclock -w

should have been enough (write from system clock).

: away from GMT) but it does not help at all.

Yes it did.

:                                            In fact when I changed the
: hwclock one hour the date command still returned the old hour setting.

And so what? You didn't change the date.

: Please advice which commands to use in succession to do the following:
: 1) Interrogate/set the time zone (central european daylight savings
: time)

Eh? You already should be in the  CET zone. edit the zone pointer in
/var/lib/zoneinfo to point at the timezone you require.

: 2) Interrogate/set the clock

Which clock?  man hwclock. man date. Use date to see the system clock.
Use hwclock to see the hardware clock.

: line commands should be typed. Please be specific in your advice.

No way. You go do the work. I'm not a babysitter.

: How can you clear the screen when you connect to a Linux machine using
: Telnet from Windows NT? When I do this and try to use the man pages

Type "clear".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Oldham)
Subject: iBCS
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:59 +0100 (BST)

[apologies if you've already seen this on u.c.o.l]

We've been struggling to compile iBCS with Debian 2.1 (2.0.36 kernel). For
some reason I don't understand the 2.1 release comes with packages to
support iBCS in kernels 2.0.3[345] but not 2.0.36, which seems bizarre given
that that's the kernel shipped with on the Debian 2.1 CDs we have.

The Debian iBCS package maintainer doesn't reply to mail, the iBCS mailing
list appears to be dead (not to mention that the majordomo it's running on
is broken - echoing all the headers as well as the mail), and the imminent
Debian 2.2 release isn't any better, only offering support for kernel 2.0.36
while the kernel they're intending to ship is 2.2.x. So we're a bit stuck.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know where Debian is with this? Both in release to 2.1 and
   2.2?
2. Has anyone got iBCS to compile with Debian 2.1/2.0.36?

--
Paul Oldham, Milton, Cambridge, UK
http://the-hug.org/paul/