Linux-Misc Digest #415, Volume #20               Sun, 30 May 99 14:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!! (Mark Evans)
  Re: postgresql and postmaster (Fezzzza)
  Re: postgresql (Fezzzza)
  Re: Scanner stopped working in Linux. Why? (Stewart C. Russell)
  eject a cdrom (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: Performance tuning of FreeBSD and Linux: pointers requested (Peter Mutsaers)
  Re: Moving Linux to a new hard disk? (Mike Bartman)
  Re: Problems with TV-out on X-windows (Peter Caffin)
  Linux 2.2.X with only 4 MB RAM? (Georg Schwarz)
  Help, coming from msdos ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Scanner stopped working in Linux. Why? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Help: Maple V 5.1 &  Suse 6.1 & Seg Fault ("Martin Leweling")
  Sound dies suddenly! (Ben Sandler)
  Re: /usr/sbin/in.identd missing? (Johan Kullstam)
  Leafnode and fetch (Nick Zentena)
  Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] how to run? (Kelly)
  Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] how to run? (Kelly)
  Re: Completly remove LILO ("ckk")
  Re: Procmail Question ("Jeff Grossman")
  Re: XWindows Server ("Jeff Grossman")
  Re: Performance tuning of FreeBSD and Linux: pointers requested (Arcady Genkin)
  Re: Help, coming from msdos (Ben Sandler)
  Re: telnet in as root? (Matthew Bafford)
  aol and email (sendmail problem?) (Stephen LaVelle)
  Re: FXP ON REDHAT 6.0 (Matthew Bafford)

From: Mark Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:05:37 +0100

Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Gilles Pelletier wrote:

>> >Gnome is not for everyone
>>
>> In which way?

> In exactly the same way the Windows is not for everyone. Each user has
> their own tastes and preferences. Many prefer not to use X at all. Those
> that do may prefer fvwm or KDE over Gnome. They may even prefer CDE.

> One of the many benefits of Linux (and UNIX in general) is that you DO
> have a choice in how you interact with the system.

Even different users on the *same* system can haev *their* choice
of interfaces.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fezzzza)
Subject: Re: postgresql and postmaster
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:23:00 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 11:56:59 +1000, Mark Forsyth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have found where it calls postmaster it is in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S85postgresql
of all places  so I justed put the -i in within that script file

red hat doesnt seem to set it up like postgresql recommends
F.Y.I. the database files are held at /var/lib/postgres/base

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fezzzza)
Subject: Re: postgresql
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:23:01 GMT

Cheers  I was running 6.4 on the windows ODBC driver rather than 6.2

------------------------------

From: Stewart C. Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner stopped working in Linux. Why?
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:42:09 BST

"Alastair Smeaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Which SCSI card are you using - I have a snapscan, but with AVA1505 single
>card bundled, which I am informed cannot be used under Linux - is there hope
>for me without having to buy an expensive SCSI card ?

Don't know who told you that, but they're wrong. I have a 1505
happily driving an HP scanner. Compile generic SCSI support for Adaptec
152x into the kernel, and then give the LILO/Loadlin command line

        aha152x=0x340

(Yours may be at a different address). It works, and well too. You can't
boot from a 1505, and you can't auto-detect it either; maybe that's where the
confusion came from?

--
Stewart C. Russell, Glasgow, Scotland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 "Hang on... This is the real thing... The truth, my friend,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: eject a cdrom
Date: 30 May 1999 15:31:42 GMT

I cannt eject my cd, I do not have the 'eject' command, should I?

thanks!!

------------------------------

From: Peter Mutsaers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Performance tuning of FreeBSD and Linux: pointers requested
Date: 30 May 1999 16:11:49 +0200

>> "DN" == Dinesh Nair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    DN> it has been mentioned here, in another thread, that linux
    DN> usually mounts filesystems async by default while freebsd
    DN> doesnt. could this be the difference you're seeing ?

And if you tune both of them properly (esp. FreeBSD's default settings
are very conservative and safe but not fast) FreeBSD wins easily when
it comes to disk I/O.

--
Peter Mutsaers |  Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  the Netherlands    | what I'm doing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bartman)
Subject: Re: Moving Linux to a new hard disk?
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:30:15 GMT

On 3 May 1999 06:46:29 GMT, Rolf Skowronek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Thomas Zajic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:21:20 +0100, Tom Hall wrote:
>:> I currently have Linux (redhat 5.2 with 2.2.6 kernel) on my hard disk, I
>:> will shortly be receiving my new 18Gb hard disk and I'm looking to move
>:> linux over to the new hard disk (which will replace the old one), now is
>
>: Using ´cp -ax´ always worked for me. Just don´t forget to ´mkdir´ your mount
>: points on the new partition (/usr, /proc, /tmp, ...) and to update the (new!)
>: /etc/fstab if necessary.
>
>try cpio. Mount your new disk under /mnt, then cd /,
>thenn find . | grep -v /mnt | cpio -pdmu /mnt.
>grep filters out /mnnt which would otherwise get copied again.
>You might have to run lilo after.
>That's how I transferred my system to a larger disk without any problem.

I'm not a unix wizard, but I needed to do this a while back and worked
out a way to use tar and pipes to do it.  I had tar save the disk I
wanted to copy, and piped the results to another tar that was doing a
restore to the new disk.  With the right options on the two tars all
the dates, ownerships, etc. get preserved just fine, and the result
booted without problems once I modified System Commander to look for
it on my second drive (I wasn't replacing a disk, I was adding a disk,
and my MS OSs can't boot from drive 2, but Linux can... :^)

It was simple and fast...once I'd read enough man pages to figure out
what options I needed!  One of the unix guys at work thought it was
pretty clever and made a note for the next time he needed to move a
disk... ;^)

          -- Mike "VMS I know...Linux I'm learning" Bartman --
>Rolf
>

>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address.
  I'm getting sick of all the spam...

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with TV-out on X-windows
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 20:59:25 +0800

Overmars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote with regard to his problem of only
being able to get a B&W image:
> My card is IGST Cyberpro2010
> The TV encoding is PAL
> I have tried many modeline setting and different resolutino but still
> can't solve the problem!

First up, have you confirmed that it works with Windows 95 or some other
OS? (It might be a hardware fault).

Secondly, make sure your TV and video is exactly tuned to the right
channel. Sometimes, if it's not 100% dead on the right spot, the picture
goes B&W.

Also, see how these modelines (for AITech cards/converters) go:

Modeline "640x535" 25.07 640 672 768 808 535 550 556 625 -hsync -vsync
Modeline "640x480" 25.18 640 660 756 796 480 540 546 625 -hsync -vsync

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Schwarz)
Subject: Linux 2.2.X with only 4 MB RAM?
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:24:30 +0200

Common wisdom says that Linux 2.2.X requires at least 8 MB of RAM - and
I must admit that there's quite some truth to that.
I've installed Linux 2.2.9 on a 386SX with 4 MB RAM. It boots and runs,
but extremely slowly due to swapping:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:          3024       2872        152       1100         84
1060
-/+ buffers/cache:       1728       1296
Swap:        17404       2444      14960

I cannot log in at the console due to the 60s timeout, but with ssh over
the network it works with a very big deal of patience.
Needless to say, the system is not practically usable that way.
I would however still strongly prefer to use 2.2.X because a) I'd like
to configure (startup scripts etc.) all the machines I administrate as
identically as possible and b) it uses MCA and ESDI, which in 2.0.X is
only supported with patches.
So, is there a way (parameter?) I can trim 2.2.X to run usably with just
4 MB RAM? I already did make a rather minimalist custom 2.2.9 kernel, of
course.

--
Georg Schwarz     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help, coming from msdos
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:56:53 GMT

Hi, first post, I install Redhat 5.2 and is fine, need a quick start on
the following:

1. What is the equivlent unix command of
a:
dir a:
edit filename.txt
(cdrom)d:
copy c:\filename.txt a:\
copy c:\*.txt a:\

2. what is the equivlent linux program for filemanager and notepad.

TIA

Dan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:45:20 GMT

In article <b%c43.14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stewart C. Russell  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Alastair Smeaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Which SCSI card are you using - I have a snapscan, but with AVA1505 single
>>card bundled, which I am informed cannot be used under Linux - is there hope
>>for me without having to buy an expensive SCSI card ?
>
>Don't know who told you that, but they're wrong. I have a 1505
>happily driving an HP scanner. Compile generic SCSI support for Adaptec
>152x into the kernel, and then give the LILO/Loadlin command line
>
>       aha152x=0x340
>
>(Yours may be at a different address). It works, and well too. You can't
>boot from a 1505, and you can't auto-detect it either; maybe that's where the
>confusion came from?

        I have the same card, the 2nd SCSI controller in my system.  (From
what I understand, if sane is driving a SCSI card, it can't be running
another device at the same time, and my other card is running my disk drive.
Anyway, my other card is already using 2 of it's 3 cable connections and
that's the limit.)  I've got the adaptec driver as a module, and when
I'm going to use the scanner, use the command:
   insmod aha152x "aha152x=0x140,9,7,1"
As you can see, I use a different address (set by jumper) and different
interrupt, etc which I set up in DOS using a program that came with the
card.  I needed to do that because of an interrupt conflict.
        Sometimes, I admit, when I use insmod, it still doesn't recognize
the generic device, in my case, /dev/sgc, so it might be better to have
it out there all the time.

--
Praeterea censeo Micromolle non esse utendum.
("Moreover, I maintain that Microsoft should not be used."  A toned down

------------------------------

From: "Martin Leweling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Maple V 5.1 &  Suse 6.1 & Seg Fault
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 18:32:19 +0200

Hello,

I had the same problem with SuSE 6.1, and it seems
that some libc5 binaries are broken by the
transition to glibc.

Actually, to get Maple V 5.1 to work I installed
the shlibs5 package and unset the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. I got that idea when
in my desperation I tried to run xmaple as root
and everything worked. Notice that
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set for root on SuSE 6.1.

This also made Mathematica 3.0.2, Adobe Acrobat
Reader 3 and other libc5 programs work, which
otherwise get a segfault. The segfault problem
still occurs with Maple V versions 5 and 4
and PV Wave 6.21.

Any ideas how to get libc5 programs on SuSE 6.1
working in a consistent and reliable way, anyone?
A problem may be that I am still using my old
profiles from SuSE 5.x (tcsh).

Martin Leweling
Institut fuer Planetologie
WWU Muenster

====================

------------------------------

From: Ben Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound dies suddenly!
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:04:59 +0000

I've had this problem several times.  I'll be playing a playlist in
x11amp (latest version, running under RedHat 6.0) and everything is
fine, and then suddenly there is silence.  x11amp won't play any mp3s,
and the progress bar won't move.  I close x11amp and try playing a wav
file, and wavplay will wailt the appropriate amount of time to play the
wav, but no sound will come out.  There are no stray x11amp processes,
and I tried killing maudio, which helped similar problems in the past,
but no luck.  I've also tried restarting the sound thing that runs on
bootup (/etc/rc.d/init.d/sound). I've not found anything short of
rebooting that will regain sound capabilities.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Ben

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

The Roman Rule
        The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the
        one who is doing it.

Subject: Re: /usr/sbin/in.identd missing?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 May 1999 13:13:14 -0400

"Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I get this same error running a Redhat 5.2 and 6.0 box.
>
> Jeff
>
> --
> Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>

> Jeffrey Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I'm running to boxes networked together, one runs Slackware-2.2.8 and
> > the other runs Stampede-2.2.8
> > I was checking out my Stampede's syslog file and came across an error
> > that I can not figure out..
> > syslog states: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd no such file or directory.
> >
> > I try and <locate> in.identd and nothing comes up, I look in /usr/sbin
> > and nothing there either. I've noticed
> > that there is a in.identd on the Slackware box.
> >
> > Can anybody explain what in.identd is for?  I've tried using man but can
> > not find anything about this.
> > Could I just copy Slackware's in.identd over to Stampede?

i am running redhat.

sophia(jk)$ cd /usr/sbin
sophia(sbin)$ l in.identd
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        21697 Oct 24  1997 in.identd
sophia(sbin)$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/in.identd
pidentd-2.7-1

you want to install the *pidentd* package.

you may also need to adjust /etc/inetd.conf to enable the identd
service.

hope this helps.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Nick Zentena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Leafnode and fetch
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:15:07 GMT

Hi,
        I've got a problem with fetch. Well not really a problem but something
I'm hoping I can change. When fetch runs it looks for it's lock file. If
it finds it it aborts and sends me mail. Thats fine. But if it doesn't
find it it writes to /var/warn telling me it didn't find the lock file.
Well my warn file is growing-( Any way to get it to keep quiet?

        Nick
--
=====================
Nick Zentena

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelly)
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] how to run?
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:42:23 GMT

Andrew Clayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>From the directory where it's installed, type ./setiathome, the ./ tells
>your shell to run the program in your current directory, this is needed if
>. is not in your path.

Thanks.  It works now!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelly)
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:42:33 GMT

"Christopher R. Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Kelly wrote:
>>
>> I'm very new to Linux and need help getting the Seti@Home program to
>> run.  Here's my setup:
>
>F.Y.I.
>
>http://x23.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/getdoc.xp?AN=483444102&CONTEXT=928039855.1027407988&hitnum=0
>
>Since I am getting ready to upgrade one of these days I'd like to know
>if it works ok for you on 6.0.

Thank you.  It's working now.

------------------------------

From: "ckk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Completly remove LILO
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:10:05 +0800

use windows or dos bootisk to start the computer
type in     " fdisk/mbr" under a:/
it will be remove the lilo

Nuno Donato ¼¶¼g©ó¤å³¹ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.mail.misc,comp.mail.sendmail,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Procmail Question
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:45:46 -0700

But the .forward is what is calling procmail.  How would procmail do its
stuff without the command in the .forward file?  Do I not need to .forward
file to execute procmail?  Will it do it automatically?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Michael Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 29 May 1999 21:47:03 -0700, Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I finally got Procmail working to sort out some of my incoming mail.
But,

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,msn.computingcentral.os.linux
Subject: Re: XWindows Server
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 09:44:13 -0700

Yes, I have that one also.  I was unable to get that one working at all.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

adam howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7irhhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
> > limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and
> only
> > for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.
>
> This one is available from starnet.com, i believe.
>
> There is another X server not time limited available from
> www.microimages.com

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: Arcady Genkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:00:12 GMT

Peter Mutsaers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> "DN" == Dinesh Nair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>     DN> it has been mentioned here, in another thread, that linux
>     DN> usually mounts filesystems async by default while freebsd
>     DN> doesnt. could this be the difference you're seeing ?

Hi!
Could somebody explain what the above means? I've just installed
FreeBSD on a 486 after Linux, and the slower disk i/o was the first
thing that I noticed.

> And if you tune both of them properly (esp. FreeBSD's default settings
> are very conservative and safe but not fast) FreeBSD wins easily when
> it comes to disk I/O.

Any pointer on the "proper tuning" of FreeBSD disk I/O wise?

Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate
of eternal blessedness in the other world..." (S. Kierkegaard)

------------------------------

From: Ben Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, coming from msdos
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:49:16 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, first post, I install Redhat 5.2 and is fine, need a quick start on
> the following:

First of all, you should definitely read the DOS to Linux HOWTO.  It can
be found on your computer (if you installed documentation) at
/usr/doc/HOWTO/DOS-to-Linux-HOWTO, as well as on the web at the Linux
Documentation project: http://metalab.unc.edu/LPD/.

> 1. What is the equivlent unix command of
> a:
> dir a:
> edit filename.txt
> (cdrom)d:
> copy c:\filename.txt a:\
> copy c:\*.txt a:\

In order to use floppies and CDROMs in Linux, you have to mount them.
You should have these two lines in your /etc/fstab:
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,user
0 0
/dev/hdd                /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,ro,user,exec 0 0
You should then type:
$ mount /dev/fd0
to mount your floppy.  Note that your CDROM may not be /dev/hdd - it
will be hdb, hdc, or somthing like that.  It may also be /dev/cdrom if
you're lucky.  Fiddle around.
Now, your floppy disk is like a directory.
$ cd /mnt/floppy
$ ls
and you'll see the contents of the disk.  When you're done, type
$ umount /dev/fd0

> 2. what is the equivlent linux program for filemanager and notepad.

On the command line, use ls, mv, cp, etc for file manipulation or mc
which looks something like xtree in DOS.  For text editing, use pico,
or, if you're feeling adventurous, vi or emacs.

If you're running X, I suggest using either KDE or GNOME (both of which
come with RedHat 6 and are available on the web: http://www.kde.org and
http://www.gnome.org), which both have nice file managers, text editors,
and everything else.

- Ben

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: telnet in as root?
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:37:09 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 14:55:19 +0100, John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
held some poor sysadmin at gun point while typing in the following:
: Is there a way to disable logins to a linux machine completly from the
: ppp networking while allowing them from the network card.

If you're using inetd to handle the connections (default on Redhat and
others), then edit /etc/hosts.deny to read:

ALL: ALL

And /etc/hosts.allow should read:

ALL: 192.168.0.

(where 192.168.0. is the first three octets of your network (assuming a
class C (which for 2 computers is normal :))).

Or, look into the docs for ipfwadm/ipchains (Kernel 2.0/2.2).

HTH,

--Matthew

------------------------------

From: Stephen LaVelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: aol and email (sendmail problem?)
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 14:00:38 -0400

hi,

For some time now we have been unable to trade email with aol.com using
2.0.29 and sendmail (8). They do not respond to pings and a traceroute
to any of their published IPs gets no further than one of their
(unpublished) routers. ?

I called their tech support and the guy told me that he'd have one of
their mail-techs call me back.. of course no one ever called.

the pointy-headed guy insists 'aol sux .. it's them not us..'
unfortunately, this reponse is not very useful when it comes to user
complaints....any ideas?

TIA,

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Bafford)
Subject: Re: FXP ON REDHAT 6.0
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:37:15 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 04:01:06 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
held some poor sysadmin at gun point while typing in the following:
: CAN SOMEONE HELP ME....I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO ALLOW MY FTP SERVER WHICH IS
: RUNNING REDHAT LINUX 6.0 TO ALLOW FXPING
: FXP IS WHEN A MODEM USER CAN CONNECT TO TWO FTP SERVERS AND TRASFER WITHOUT
: GOING THROUGH THE MODEM USER.....
: IT GIVES ME ILLEGAL PORT ACTIVITY
: IT SAYS PASV......

Perhaps if you:

    1) Use proper capitalization.
    2) Use proper punctuation.
    3) Check the docs for your ftp server.
    4) Check the web for information about this.
    5) Check deja for more information about this.
    6) And /then/ repost with more information about what you have and
       haven't tried, and what software you are using.

you will get a helpfull response.

: thank  you

Hope This Helps!

--Matthew