Linux-Misc Digest #415, Volume #26               Tue, 28 Nov 00 12:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  lilo's parameters line too long ("Migue")
  Re: Library Question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: End Task Command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: End Task Command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Which distribution should I get? (also: will my modem work?) (Rod Smith)
  Re: Cdrecord. (aflinsch)
  Re: Cdrecord. (aflinsch)
  Re: Cdrecord. (aflinsch)
  How to send AT commands to modem and view results? ("trebor")
  [Fwd: cannot connect to linux] (ekk)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (Mav)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: half life (linux) ??? some one please tell me how does it work - (vedanta
barooah)
  Re: simple alias question (Wayne Pollock)
  Re: XTI o TLI (Warren Young)
  installing omniORB (after src build)? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problems with Lucent WaveLAN IEE (Edu)
  Re: How to send AT commands to modem and view results? (Ron)
  Re: Netscape 6 (Dirk Groeneveld)
  Re: Cdrecord. ("Federico Baraldi")

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:14:04 -0500

http://pages.infinit.net/outcasts/pinguinos.html

> Really fine drawings. I don't know anything about art, but you sure can
> hold a crayon in your hands.
>
> One remark: Tux was never meant to be taken serious. It reflects the
> character of the linux community: just a stupid picture, don't think too
> much about it, it's part of the fun. Your penguinos look good, very good,
> but they're too serious. Does making your penguins humorous sound like
> rape?

Hehe, I'm just following SOP to design a proper animal graphic. First, I
draw pennguins. Lots of penguins, then I'll start stylizing them into
graphic images, then I'll refine..refine and refine... and then start over
for another pinguino.

------------------------------

From: "Migue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: lilo's parameters line too long
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:44:17 +0100

Thats is my problem , the command line for lilo is too long and kernel don't
understand it .

¿ How can I put thats line ?

==============
cat /etc/lilo.conf

image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        append="smart2=0x6000 sim710=addr:0x9000,irq:11 console=ttyS1,9600
mem=64M"
#       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/ida/c0d0p1

[root@indalo /root]# cat /proc/cmdline
auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=4801 smart2=0x6000 sim710=addr:0x9000,irq:11
con
[root@indalo /root]#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Library Question
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:54:24 +0000

Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> <snip>
>> Modules are used by the kernel. They are effectively shared libs for the
>> kernel and contain code used for device drivers, file system types and
>> different executable formats...

> Do you know were I can find information on a mechanism which allows
> insertion of code like a modules or an object file to an executable during
> runtime?

> I understand Postgresql 7.0.3 (my version) allows it as a user may expand
> the current functionality by adding functions from object files which can
> be written in C.  I am currently looking through the source but...

'fraid not...
I suppose the sources to ldd might point you in the right direction.
Netscape also uses a similar method (plugins), so searching the Mozilla
source tree might give a more detailed explaination?

Also The Gimp and XMMS use plugins...
(The documentation for them DO, I think, give info on how to create your
own).
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: End Task Command
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:00:46 +0000

mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Linux is superior to Windows 98 in that you can kill and
> restart errant programs one by one and it won't crash the
> rest of your system or force you to restart the whole thing.

Unless you kill init....
:)

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:58:54 +0000

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Does Linux have an equivalent to MS Windows '98 command Ctrl-Alt-Delete and
> then End Task so that you can reset the computer if it is stalled or
> "frozen"  without completely rebooting the computer?

Kill and killall.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Which distribution should I get? (also: will my modem work?)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:35:35 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <900ckq$bom$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Alex Stoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have a K6-2, 500MHz, and 128MB of RAM. I've never used Linux before. I
> would like to work with my files from Windows 98. I plan on using Linux
> mainly for internet and word processing. My modem doesn't work in DOS - it's
> a "software modem" or a "winmodem" or something, I think (It's a "Lucent Win
> Modem") - will it work in :Linux? Which distribution of Linux would work
> best for me? Thanks a lot in advance,

You may want to check my Web page for comments on distributions:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

As to the modem, as a Lucent software modem, you can probably get it
working, but you'll need a third-party driver, available in compiled
form ONLY. It's available from:

http://www.linmodems.org/

It was compiled for one of the Red Hat 6.x distributions (I don't recall
which one exactly), but works with at least some others. No guarantees,
though. You might find it worthwhile to ditch the thing in favor of a
real modem; the Lucent software modem drivers aren't the most stable in
the world.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.periph.cdrom
Subject: Re: Cdrecord.
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:28:54 -0600

Federico Baraldi wrote:

> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 30 08 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x08 (cannot write - application code mismatch) Fru
> 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cdrecord: Errore di input/output. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
> retryable error
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> write track data: error after 0 bytes
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 30 08 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x08 (cannot write - application code mismatch) Fru
> 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 480s
> cdrecord: Errore di input/output. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable
> error
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x26 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in parameter list) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s

I had similar errors when running under Mandrake 6.0 (long since
upgraded to 6.1, 7.0, 7.1 & 7.2). it turned out to be a bad cdrw
drive. Replacing the unit fixed the problem.

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:29:54 -0600

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:30:03 -0600

From: "trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to send AT commands to modem and view results?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:49:00 -0500

I have been using a modem to accept incoming calls .. and it works OK,
though on my system I had to add a getty line to /etc/inittab. But once that
was done, incoming calls were accepted and I could login to Linux.

However, in order to send the proper AT commands to enable auto-answer on
the modem, I had to hook the modem up to a PC and use Hyperterminal to
actually send the AT commands. Then save the modem profile, and move the
modem back to the Linux box.

I would prefer to configure the modem directly from Linux. Is there a tool
that I can use to send AT commands to a modem connected to COM2 on a Linux
box - and, to see the result messages as well?

This is Red Hat Linux 2.3.40.

Thanks,
-Bob
 Andover, MA

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: [Fwd: cannot connect to linux]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:42:45 -0500

Hello,
I apologize for the somewhat off topic subject - I thought this would be
more suitable in a Windows ng, but I haven't received any responses.  Let
me know if you have any ideas:

From: Mav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:53:22 GMT

Mike Raeder wrote:

> Frank Van Damme wrote:
>
> > One remark: Tux was never meant to be taken serious. It reflects the
> > character of the linux community: just a stupid picture, don't think too
> > much about it, it's part of the fun. Your penguinos look good, very good,
> > but they're too serious. Does making your penguins humorous sound like
> > rape?
>
> I'm waiting for someone to do a Japanese Anime Tux!
> --
> My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honour student

My honour student IS an Australian Shepherd... ;-)

Mav

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:20:04 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robert Kiesling"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing a
> dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
> with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
> cretins trying to grab part of the "action."

No, it wasn't the point. But you're right, of course: a good os with dumb
artworks is still better than an all-grey-gui on top of a crap os (no
names).

But why not try to improve the graphics? If it doesn't interest you, so
be it. Some people are good at programming, some are good at drawing,
making icons and photo's for wallpapers and so on, others translate
documentation.

--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: vedanta barooah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: half life (linux) ??? some one please tell me how does it work -
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:30:04 -0000

Glitch wrote:

> vedanta barooah wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > i downloaded a 35.5 mb tarball of half-life full version from
> > download.com -  i have only a 28k dial-up connection and you can
> > understand how long it took me :-( . but it does not seem to work ...(
or
> > i am not able to figure out how to put it to work..) i will be greatly
> > thankfull if someone would show me how to do it. some good url would
also
> > be usefull.
> >

> and you want us to do this w/o even knowing what the problem is? You
> must think we are very good.
> how about providing some error messages?

well,
i dont know how to install, that stuff. (or) which file should i execute.
:) thanx'

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: simple alias question
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:27:47 -0500

To use the unqualified DNS name "somebox" and have the system look for
"somebox.somehost.com" you must tell the resolver which domain(s) to
search in by default.  This is set in the file /etc/resolv.conf by
adding the line "search somehost.com".  Note up to six domains may
be listed, separated by a space.

The syntax of this file is very strict, make sure your directives
start in column one and that a single space (not tab) is used between
the domains.

Note this is not an alias at all.  You can't make an alias that
has more than one word.  If you really want an alias (which does
indeed go in the .bashrc file), you can use something like this:
        alias somebox='telnet somebox.somehost.com'
or
        alias telnet_somebox='telnet somebox.somehost.com'

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:32:32 -0700
From: Warren Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: XTI o TLI

Andi Kleen wrote:

> If your application uses STREAMS directly it'll get a bit more
> difficult.

If your app only uses the basic XTI calls documented in Comer's
Internetworking with TCP/IP volume 3 (TLI version), porting it to
sockets is fairly simple.  In many cases, you can do the port with a
search-and-replace.  I ported a 30,000 line UnixWare app to Linux in a
few days this way once.

Actually twice.  :)  My first port was when Linux was less popular, so
the UnixWare version kept getting shipped to customers, so I had to
re-do the port a year later.

The nice thing about porting it to sockets is that you can then
back-port it to Solaris without much trouble, since every current Unix
has sockets support.
--
= Warren Young, maintainer of the Winsock Programmer's FAQ at:
=     http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: installing omniORB (after src build)?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:33:30 GMT

hi

i've recently built omniORB 3.0.2 and have all the files in ./bin and
./lib but am not entirely sure which files need to be installed onto my
box (the bins, libs are obvious but the includes and the python files?)
- i intend to put all the omniORB stuff onto /opt/omniORB.

however, i have also downloaded the minial python package from
uk.research.att.com and used it to build their orb.

i would be grateful if someone out there who has installed omniorb 3.0.x
could tell me which files are actually required as their install
instructions seem to be a little vague on what goes where.

thanks in advance

From: Edu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
es.comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,es.comp.misc,alt.periphs.pcmcia,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Problems with Lucent WaveLAN IEE
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:46:26 +0100

I have a PC with pcmcia-cs-3.1.15 which includes support for
WaveLAN/IEEE Linux driver v1.0.4.

I need to work with a Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 card on a
PC with Red Hat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14).

It was easy to work with it when I installed the same card on a similar
PC, but now, although the card is loaded without problems (cardctl ident
and cardmgr can see the card and two high tones can be heard when I
insert the card), a message like this:

    wvlan_cs: wvlan0 Tx timed out! Resetting card

appears continuously when I try to send data (using a ping f.e.). Of
course, no data is sent.

Please, help!!!

------------------------------

From: Ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:29:02 -0500

I'm using RH 6.1.  On that system, the following file is used to set up the
modem to auto-answer.  It contains the modem initialization string.  Here's
the setup command that I used:

cp /usr/doc/getty_ps-2.0.7j/Examples/default/uugetty.autoanswer
 /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS1

Then I edited the file and changed "cua*" to "cua1".  My modem in on ttyS1.

Hope that helps,
Ron

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 6
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:51:07 +0100

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> Netscape 6 is unusable for Windows and/or Linux.  How they can officially
> release this junk is beyond me.

You ain't been with Microsoft too long, have you ;-)

> I've been using Konquerer, and I really like it except I can't get Java or
> Flash to work, and it seems to choke on certain tables (I haven't explored
> exactly what).  Other than that, I like the UI and the efficient use of
> screen space.  I really like the font size button, something IE does right
> and Netscape/Mozilla completely lacks.  I don't like the old-fashioned
> slow rendering of tables, but I think a more contemporary computer would
> help (currently a P150, 48MB)!

Yeah, Konqueror rulez!
But it's quite a bit unstable. Up to now, I haven't lost anything
important, but it crashes every now and then. Alright, it crashes cleanly,
but it crashes.
I think the rendering is good, but it would need some fine tuning. The
buttons in Forms are too big, and it sets the default background color to
the default background color specified in the Control Center. For certain
themes, that is dark blue, rendering most pages (yahoo, for example)
unreadable.

> I could go on all day, but enough for now.

Me too ;-)

Dirk

------------------------------

From: "Federico Baraldi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.periph.cdrom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:26:37 +0100

"Kenneth Rørvik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I had the same error messages, only after write, while trying to fixate.
> Turned out to be a defective CDRW unit.

My Mitsumi works well under Windoze .... and the error occour while
starting to write .....

Federico.