  Re: newbie: how to get linux (W Canedigh)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 26 May 1999 09:58:30 +0200

Ed Avis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ottavio G. Rizzo wrote:
>
> >I don't understand: it is bad if the government has secret files about
> >me, but it's OK if a private company does?
>
> I don't think the government should hold secret files because they are
> not in the credit rating business.  However, if you applied for a job

I'm sure that the secret service would say that their reasons for
having secret files are even more legitimate than cradit rating :)

> >They might well be: what if they had wrong or false data about my
> >financial situation?
>
> The same argument applies if I started telephoning people and telling
> them falsehoods about your finances.  Yes, you would be able to sue me
> for slander if my actions harmed you; but that's not an argument for
> saying that all telephone calls should be monitored, or that I should
> let you listen in to any calls I make - even if they are about you.

If you were doing so, that could well be a legitimate reason to
monitor *your* phone calls. Besides, if the purpose of these companies
is to rate my financial situation based on information which is
available to me (I suppose I should know if I didn't pay my credit
card for a couple of months), I see no reason for being secretive to me.

> >I should have the right to know they have those
> >data and the right to get them rectified. Actually they shouldn't even
> >have the right to hold such an information without my consent!
>
> Okay, so _you_ should have the right to view other people's
> information if it concerns you, while _they_ should not have the right
> to keep secrets.  Do you not think you're hoarding all the 'rights' to
> yourself here?

The same rights apply to you, being in the UK :)  And I have little
simpathy for corporate rights in any case

> >Doesn't the EU law say so?
>
> Yes, it does.  I don't agree with the law, however.  In particular,
> I am worried that companies won't be able to get confidential,
> trustworthy references for their employees (and the same applies for
> other things like university applicants).

In the US a student has the right to access every document about his
results: when I applied to grad school, I just had to waive my right
to read the recommandation letters. But it was my choice, it applied
only to those letters, I knew were they were, and the system still
works.

> Also, I think it's an infringement of my privacy that I have to
> inform the government if I'm collecting a list of names.

And I suppose you believe that a national ID infringes your privacy, too.

It is quite clear that Brits and Americans have an idea of privacy
completely different from that of continental Europeans, but they
still amaze me...

Ciao,
 Ottavio
--
Ottavio Rizzo                   IRMAR, Campus de Beaulieu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Université de Rennes 1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: 29 May 1999 17:32:57 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (pspc) writes:

> After all I don't expect MS to fall apart quite as badly as the SU did
> <grin>.

I sure hope M$ demise will be faster: SU flourished for some 45 years
and then rot for 25 before falling apart :)

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:10:14 -0700

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:23:40 -0400

==============211EAC8C1DBB67B5845DC364

James Lee wrote:

> When my significant other started using the computer, she had no clues
> about everyting, and since I use vi a lot, I taught her vi on a unix
> machine. Since then, she uses the vi as her editor, and even on
> windows machines, we still use the vi (elvis).
>
> When recently she had to use the macintosh, she started screaming at
> me. What happened to the ESC, the i (insert), the o(open line) key?
>
> vi BECAME intuitive to her. Mouse keys aren't. After a few weeks,
> these complaints have died down. Granted, she still occasionaly uses
> the ESC key, etc on the mac, but she is slowly getting used to it.

James, I know how that is. Coming back to the CLI (I got started in
'real' DOS about a century ago) was like meeting an old lover and
starting over again. There were a lot of changes to get used to but
things seem to be warming up again. :) We are learning how to dance
together again ... we used to be quite a pair!

Bill
==============211EAC8C1DBB67B5845DC364

begin:vcard
n:Canedigh;Bill
tel;home:313 387 8384
             -http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99may/19990506.html
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
note;quoted-printable:The less I know, the smaller my ulcer.=0D=0A=
fn:Bill Canedigh
end:vcard

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10.2 GB IDE disk partition question
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:30:12 -0400

Minbari wrote:
(...) but why does the
> filesystem only show up for 9.5GB, where did the other 400MB (9.9GB -9.5GB)
> go? Is it normal? Thanks in advance.
>
> -M

Yes, it's normal. mke2fs automatically reserves 5% of the disk space, by
default, for the superuser. If you want to modify that amount, use the
switch -m. See details in the mke2fs man page.

MST

Multiple newsgroups deleted from header.

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:09:52 -0700

Peter Eddy wrote:

> Alex Lam wrote:
> >

> This has happened to me recently on RH 5.2 w/Netscape 4.6.  I had the
> same symptoms as you, but of course it could be a different problem.
> Anyway, if you're lucky enough to be on a network, you can telnet to
> your linux box and kill X or whatever it is that's locked up the
> keyboard/mouse.
>
> Peter

Yes, I'm on a SOHO LAN, but unfortunately, the other box is a Windoze
NT box,
and NT died yesterday. Won't even allow me to reinstall from CD.

So, that box will be running Linux as well after I retrieve the
info/data out from the dead NT.

Alex Lam.

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:05:55 -0700

Bev wrote:

> Alex Lam wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I'm using SuSE 6.0, netscape 4.5 came with it. Everything runs
> > fine until
> > I was browsing a web site, and suddenly all data transfer stopped and
> > netscape frozen
>
> I think that generally control/alt/delete does nothing in X.
>
> > effect either. I was forced to power off (without shutdown command) to
> > reboot. Fortunity, linux lived through the process.
> >
> >       What should I do if this happen again?
>
> What works for me (slackware 3.4, fvwm95) is (1) kill netscape either with the
> little bomb button, or by choosing KILL from the menu of the little N logo in
> the upper left of the title bar;  (2)  delete the 'lock' file from
> ~/.netscape/;  (3) 'ps aux |grep netscape' and kill whatever PID shows up;  (4)
> sacrifice a small mammal;  (5) restart netscape.  Sometimes it takes a long
> time to restart if the small mammal is not of the highest quality.

I tried everything, nothing works. The whole keyboard frozen as well,
mouse click
does not work either. Power off seemed to be the only way out.

Alex Lam.

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:04:21 -0400

==============F280BB0CE462ACCCD1175C43

And your idea means the end of all innovation in design, since you're
arguing that everybody should get together, decide to do things all
the same way, and then leave it that way -- regardless of how well or
poorly it works.  "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little
minds," to borrow from Emerson.

And then there was WordPerfect with its F2 help key. SOME consistency is
NOT a bad idea. On the top of every delete key I have ever seen is the
word 'delete'. I think it is reasonable for that key to delete something
... not to insert a tilde. I have two sets of 4 arrow keys on my
keyboard ... so why shouldn't backspace delete something as it moves
along ... not to do so is "foolish consistency". Page up and Page down
keys, also, have a standard use that it is foolish NOT to map in a
manner consistent with their labeling.

This is Linux and it is a member of the Unix world ... therefore I will
learn it exactly as it is written. But I should not have to tape over my
keycaps to do it. Not using the labeled functions is a foolish
INCONSISTENCY here.

Bill

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 22:11:39 -0700

Denis wrote:

> it happened to me, too. and i too had to turn off the power
> many times. seems like it's okay for linux, though i understand there
> is nothing good about.
> (sorry - i didn't give any solutions)
> denis

I turned Java off now from Netscape...

Alex Lam.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vikinsey)
Subject: A new front in the war is opening!
Date: 6 Jun 1999 06:44:22 GMT

HELP!

I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
Power, but!
1.They're going to charge serious money
2.They're not going to release the source code
Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
corporate vampires!
There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
OUT!!!
Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
money!
If you're like me, and can remember those damn little punch cards, and the days
when TelNet was the new frontier, you know what a sorry state slugs like the
King of Redmond have reduced the computer community to.  They almost
extinguished the free-flow of ideas and code, and now that we're fighting back,
they have the greed to try and litigate us out of existence!
I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.(I can't use them
since I gleefully wiped the Abonination(W95) from my system(I even run PCDOS
instead of the dos that starts with an 'M'))
Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.
Yes, I do believe the monkeys who sat at their consoles and sweated out this
code deserve recognition for their labors.  But does it HAVE to be cash?  And
does anyone believe that the apes who actually DID the work will see any of the
money Microprose wants to suck out of us?
Help me spread the word!  To your e-mailers!  Urge everyone, as I am doing:  Do
NOT buy this bait!
If it was an independent development group that created the game, and were the
ones saying 'Hey, we put ten zillion hours into this and we need to re-stock
our 'fridge before we starve," I wouldn't be writing this, but it's NOT!  It's
just another corporation trying to exploit our desire for quality
entertainment!
(Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,
or whatever)  If you want to be proprietary about code you create to run on a
proprietary OS, that's FINE!  That's free enterprise, and that's the way it
SHOULD be.  However, Linux is, by the express copyright of its creator,
NON-proprietary.
That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

------------------------------

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:15:36 -0400

==============432BFCE2BB8E6F92440B223C

Jeremy Crabtree wrote:

> I have one argument for the power of the CLI
>
> find . -name Makefile | awk '{print "mv " $1 " " $1 ".bak \; sed s/\\\"INCROOT \
> = \/usr\/X11R6\/include\\\"/\\\"INCROOT = \/usr\/X11R6\/include\/X11\\\"/g \<" \
> $1 ".bak > " $1}'

And, so nearly as I can tell, I don't need to do it at all. NOW which is
the faster method?
Bill

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Consequences of new TNT X-Server
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 07:06:36 GMT

Hello,

Immediately after installing the new TNT X-Server from nvidia, emacs (X
extended) no longer displays a visible cursor block - something
obviously font-related.  Can someone advise as to the easiest way of
fixing this problem (preferably not involving restoring fonts or
changing the default emacs face)?

Thanks for your help.

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:20:04 -0400

==============2D4EDA4C3F7C5612204FE65D

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Jon-o Addleman wrote:

> > > Really? Why would they want it to be impossible to save your password
> > > unless a particular protocol was in place? It makes llittle sense to
> > > me... the dial up networking has nothing to do with the network
> > > protocol that it uses. Please explain this to me!
> >
> > Perhaps to encourage you to use their proprietary protocol
> > instead of other, more open protocols?
>
> microsoft wants you to run linux.  really!
>
> --
> johan kullstam

Hey ... they sold me a copy! In fact, RH 5.2 was so nice I tried Cladera
OpenLinux 2.2 just to see what else was possible! Those guys in Redmond
are masterful marketers! Ah, Billy m'boy ... you've done it again!

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:20:17 -0400

==============EAE6A485C5F8B08810F78CB1

Harry Lewis wrote:

> So your argument boils down to this: I'm (and everyone else?) no good at
> building GUIs, so would inevitably build an awkward one requiring the
> user to know about the underlying event handler for the interface to
> work (why is anybody's guess). Furthermore, for an unspecified reason,
> it's impossible to build a GUI to perform the same task as a command
> line, and even if it's possible, you just get a poor one.
>
> Well, I'm blown over by your logic.
>
> Harry

Harry ... go easy on him ... he's used to M$FT Gui's. He'll be okay when
he's had a chance to relax a little. :)
Bill

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NIC Installation
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 07:16:58 GMT

Hello,

My level of confusion about the Linux driver and device model is such
that I do not know how to deal with new hardware.  Specifically, I would
like to establish my Linksys HomePNA card as eth1 (I have an ancient
NE2000 as eth0).  This card is PnP, and I am currently running RedHat 6,
if that is significant.

Thanks for your help.

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:20:32 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i corrupted my /lib directory :(

Jeff Durham wrote:

> Ok, don't ask me how(long story), but everything in my /lib directory is
> shot.. not recursively, just the immediate files there. Is there any way
> I can get these back, without reinstalling everything? I "was" running
> RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5-15 on a 400Mhz Celeron, with the basic
> services: pop, apache, sendmail, sshd, x, etc.. any help would be
> _greatly_ appreciated.. please Cc an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you have a rescue disk (as you should have) you could use it and copy
the /lib stuff from the ramdisk into /lib (after mounting your old root
somewhere). It works with the SuSE rescue disk...

Good luck.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: Re: Dead penguin
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 08:55:34 GMT

On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:03:13 -0400, One of the Sussmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Give root password for maintenance or type Control -D for manual
>startup
>
>Linux is on hda3 & hda4 (/usr).  I'm using RH 5.2 (Mandrake 5.3
>distro).

1) Do as it suggests: give the root password.
2) And then run 'fsck /dev/hda3' and 'fsck /dev/hda4'.
3) Finally reboot.

There may be corrupt files in /lost+found.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Andreas Hinz

------------------------------

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:15:04 -0400

==============BACD1E4A6FFA25D0E191A31A

Bug or not ... it is an annoyance.
Bill

From: W Canedigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie: how to get linux
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 02:56:11 -0400

==============F3C35AB984536464B3525EF8

I would like to make two responses to chun's plea.
1) either pay for a CD or pay the price of a fast internet connection
2) if you are stubborn (or simply have no real alternative) first make
sure you can FTP LARGE files. This requires a current browser or a good
stand-alone FTP program. I like "BulletProof" but there are others. Then
cruise on over to those FTP sites and start the download of the file
that has the largest number in its name and ends in .rpm (.srpm is
source code.) Once you get back from your vacation you should be able to
install Linux. On the other hand, if you can afford to take a vacation,
see suggestion #1 above. :)

www.cheapbytes.com seems to be the price leader for everything from a
bare-bones (historical, too!) distribution to some really nice (and
priced accordingly) packages.
Bill