Linux-Misc Digest #512, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 08:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem (Jonathan McBrien)
  Re: streaming-video software? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: window$ en Linux Netscape bookmarks connected? (David Pegler)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: chinese pinyin no-tone entry method in linux? (Lee Sau Dan)
  IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2 (Simon)
  Re: Problems with Big partitions? (GianPiero Puccioni)
  Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ??? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  If XWin hang, how to kill it (Marcus)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it ("Doug")
  Re: How do I get Num Lock on automatically in X? ("Dave Addison")
  Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem? ("William L. Rich
Jr.")
  Re: Regaining control of a process ("Doug")
  Re: Regaining control of a process (Eugene Kang)
  key configuration & bash/readline ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Kichi Leung)
  Re: Trouble with Linux. (Carl Fink)
  Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows... (Robert
Heller)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Villy Kruse)
  Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ??? (Fabian Gebhardt)
  Linux Promo Materials ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: STTY and ERASE ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How do I get Num Lock on automatically in X? ("Peter T. Breuer")

From: Jonathan McBrien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Severe booting / filesystem problem
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:03:38 GMT

In article <8npl11$fm1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Get tomsrtbt-1.7.205 and use 'chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo' -Tom

Tried that already, but I can't mount my /boot partition, so lilo keels
over and dies right away.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

--
# Jonathan McBrien
# jonathan  [at]  m c b r i e n  [d0t]  0rg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: streaming-video software?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:07:49 GMT

machine

hello,

I have a bt848 compatible card(PCTV Rave) and I have installed the
drivers and it's working under redhat6.2 ....

I have realproducer 8 for linux and I want to capture from composite1.
real producer needs two device number one for Audio and one for
video... after testing many numbers I found 4 for video device and 2
for audio input... this numbers are the only working ones and I have
found them after many tests.... ok problem lies here! It captures from
tuner last tuned channel and not composite1...I use bttv and it's
video4linux compatible... should I change the /dev/video sy,link from
/dev/video0 to another thing?!(it not worked!) should I send a string
or any thing to the device first or should I run a program before
realproducer... Please help me...

From: David Pegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: window$ en Linux Netscape bookmarks connected?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:42:51 +0100

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:15:54 -0400, Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
mumbled in between mouthfuls of coffee and Muffins:

>I'm not completely certain this will work, but try this:
>Locate your bookmarks.html file in Linux.  Rename it or delete it.
>Create a symbolic link to your Window's bookmark file.  I have
>my "C:\" fat32 partition mounted as /win98, but you should substitute
>your path instead:
>ln -s "/win98/Program Files/Netscape/users/default/bookmarks.html" .
>(Please check capitalization first with "ls"!)
>
>Note you can do the same thing with your email archive; just create
>a symbolic link from "nsmail" (or whatever you named your email
>folder in Linux) to Window's Netscape mail folder.
>
>-Wayne Pollock

a somewhat more easy solution is to use www.backflip.com, which is
basically an online favourites folder - very useful i use it on
windows, linux and at work!

--
There was a typical Ankh-Morpork street scene outside,
although people were trying to separate them.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
Date: 20 Aug 2000 23:29:37 -0800

"Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> How hard can it be to put "stty erase ^H" into your login profile?
>
>Well, consider that all users must use ^H since many of them
>might have it set to ^? for other reasons (connection to other
>boxes that use different standard that aren't under your
>control).

Nonsense.  All users must pick which they want it to be, and put that
into their own login profile, on *each* box.

You are not forced to use whatever the default is.  Fer Christ's
sakes, I've got an init file a mile long filled with things that
are not defaults!

That is what UNIX is all about.

>You also must change all boxes, they might not all share the
>/home dirs.

You put whatever you want into *every* login profile.

>It's not right to make the users be responsible for the
>fix. The server must be the one doing it right. Backspace
>should send Backspace.

Nonsense, nonsense, and more nonsense.  Users can and should set
their profile to whatever they like, that is not a "fix", that
is *standard proceedure*.  The "server" merely needs to have a
minimal and functional environment, and nothing more.  And
finally, Backspace does send Backspace, but what thet does on
your terminal is entirely up to you.

>Not to mention, you must also do if ($?prompt), otherwise other
>things might complain (scp, for instance).

Well, I can't make out what you are saying there, so I'm just be kind and
not call it nonsense and ask what you mean?

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.chinese.computing,chinese.comp.software,sci.lang,tw.bbs.comp.chinese,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: chinese pinyin no-tone entry method in linux?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 17:04:23 +0800

    Thomas> Laurent Neyret, Look into EMACS, and load the input type
    Thomas> for pinyin. I've done it before, but recently everything
    Thomas> is in Thai ( wish they had a 'pinyin' ). If I recall
    Thomas> correctly, there are input types for Mandarin and
    Thomas> Cantonese.

Yes,  you're right.   Moreover,  both BIG5  and  GB2312 encodings  are
supported.

    Thomas>   There's LOTS of steps ...  you have to install
    Thomas> the fonts you have to learn a bit of emacs you have to
    Thomas> install the input system you have to test & print and see
    Thomas> if you like it

Reading  and  following  the  installation  instructions,  I  have  no
difficulties getting  it to work.  Moreover,  most Linux distributions
(e.g. RedHat, Slackware)  have Emacs.  You just need  to make sure the
Emacs can find the fonts (Type "C-h h" before you try anything, it may
be already configured).  BIG5 fonts do not come with the distributions
and you have to find  and install them (freeware).  Most distributions
did not compile  Emacs with the inputting methods,  and so you'll have
to install the methods and  add some statements into your site startup
file.

    Thomas>  ( but you could always re-write the parts
    Thomas> you dont like ( huge code! )

The  huge code  is  not difficult  to  manage because  of the  modular
design.  Every now and  then, I modify a very very tiny  part of it to
suit my needs.   I think I don't even understand more  than 10% of all
its code.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:16:03 +0100

I'm trying to setup Internet connection sharing with OpenLinux 2.2

Ipchains 1.3.8-1 is installed.

I've followed Caldera's Doc. Ref:  991112-0009 for setting up a
gateway....

file ..../etc/rc.d/rc.local
modprob i_masq_ftp
modprob i_masq_raudio
modprob i_masq_vdolive
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0  # (my
network is 192.168.1.*)

file.../etc/sysconfig/network
IPFORWARDING=yes

file..../etc/hosts.allow
ALL:192.168.1.11
ALL:192.168.1.12
ALL:192.168.1.13
ALL:192.168.1.14

I've set up the windows NT machine with Default gateway 192.168.1.1 -
the linux box ....

what am I doing wrong ???

------------------------------

From: GianPiero Puccioni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.list
Subject: Re: Problems with Big partitions?
Date: 21 Aug 2000 09:28:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2000 13:49:13 GMT, GianPiero Puccioni wrote:
>>I am having some problem with a big (~ 50 Gbytes) ext2 partition, and I
>>wonder if there is somewhere a limit (I have heard that the limit is 2048
>>Gig but maybe there is something else...).
> [snipp]
>>Any idea what can cause this problem?
>
> Hmm.  IIRC, there were problems with filesystems > 32G in kernels before
> 2.2.14.  If you haven't updated the kernel since getting RH 6.1, you're
> running 2.2.12-something... it might be about time to get the latest
> version.  Hardware has just been going a little faster than software
> here, and I guess the sudden advent of Really Big Disks exposed a bug or
> 2 in the kernel....

Thanks for the help.

I upgraded it to 2.2.16, I'll see what happens...

Ciao,
      GianPiero
--
*  Istituto Nazionale di Ottica                        GianPiero Puccioni  *
*  Largo E.Fermi 6                           E-Mail :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          *

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ???
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:32:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Koball) wrote:

> how can i convert linux-text files to dos text files ???

It depends on what utils you already have.

Usually there are a 'unix2dos' command, there is a 'flip'
in Debian Linux, but if you don't have them, you can still
use the 'sed' program (it must be on every Unix-like system...).

Wtih 'sed' the solution depends on the shell what you're using,
so I copy here 3 from 'Handy one-liners for sed':

 # IN UNIX ENVIRONMENT: convert Unix newlines (LF) to DOS format
 sed "s/$/`echo -e \\\r`/"            # command line under ksh
 sed 's/$'"/`echo \\\r`/"             # command line under bash
 sed "s/$/`echo \\\r`/"               # command line under zsh

Similarly, you can convert the text-files in DOS:

 # IN DOS ENVIRONMENT: convert Unix newlines (LF) to DOS format
 sed "s/$//"                          # method 1
 sed -n p                             # method 2

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:50:59 +0800

Dear all,

I am using Redhat 6.2.
If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.

So I don't want to re-boot my linux.

How can I stop the XWindows and start again ?
Also, if I just have 1 linux in the network, is it possible ?

Thank very much!
Marcus

------------------------------

From: "Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:04:39 +1000

"Marcus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Dear all,
>
> I am using Redhat 6.2.
> If my XWindows hang, but I am sure that other service are still running.
>
> So I don't want to re-boot my linux.
>
> How can I stop the XWindows and start again ?
> Also, if I just have 1 linux in the network, is it possible ?

The good ol' <Ctrl><Alt><BackSpace> usually works.

Doug

------------------------------

From: "Dave Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do I get Num Lock on automatically in X?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:27:00 +0100

I thought it did. I've always started X from tty0. Alt-Ctrl-F0 switches from
X to the console. Alt-F7 switched back to X. I've assumed this to mean that
although X is started from tty0 it actually displays on the first
non-allocated tty. In fact, I seem to remember reading this somewhere

Dave Addison

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "William L. Rich Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can anyone tell me how to get Linux to recognize my PCMCIA modem?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:30:25 GMT

I have an NEC Versa 5060X laptop with a PCTel HSP 56kflex PCMCIA modem.  I
have no idea how to get it to work with Linux also.  If anyone could help,
it would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Doug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Regaining control of a process
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:36:05 +1000

> I don't want to kill it, I want to be able to control it again. It got
detached
> when I got disconnected from the net. It's now just sitting there, without
> being attached to any terminal.

You can't.
It's parent is dead and it's now a 'zombie'.
We all know what you have to do !

Doug

------------------------------

From: Eugene Kang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 10:50:40 GMT

Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I don't want to kill it, I want to be able to control it again. It got
> detached
>> when I got disconnected from the net. It's now just sitting there, without
>> being attached to any terminal.
>>
> You can't.
> It's parent is dead and it's now a 'zombie'.
> We all know what you have to do !

Awww shucks. Thanks anyway. :)

hmm, does screen support ANSI colour?

<goes to man screen>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: key configuration & bash/readline
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:47:40 GMT

I'm running RedHat 6.2, and I'm having trouble setting up
bash command-line editing as I'd like it.

I'd like to use Ctrl-leftarrow and Ctrl-rightarrow to move
the cursor to the next/previous word respectively.

However the Ctrl-arrow keys seem to give the same codes as
the arrow keys, e.g. leftarrow = ^[[D  ctrl-leftarrow = ^[[D.
(except for some reason under konsole, where leftarrow = ^[OD ???)

Is there any way to differentiate between the ctrl and
unmodified arrow keys?

TIA
--
Dave.

From: Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:56:53 +0800

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm pretty new to linux, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question :)
>
>I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the hard
>drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.  Sometimes when doing hard
>disk acess the drive will whine and clunk and eventually do whatever it's
>trying to do.
>
>Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors as bad (or
>however linux does it, I must look that up...)?

Try using fsck. For e2fs, you stat it with the command e2fsck :-)
For documentation: man fsck

--
Kichi Leung

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Trouble with Linux.
Date: 21 Aug 2000 10:31:48 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:29:06 GMT Davide Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:26:44 +1000, Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
>>install a module/component?
>>eg. make install
>>and also automatically install all its dependent packages?
>
>Basically no . . . With RedHat there is a "database" . . .

With Debian I can install any package that's part of my distribution
with

        apt-get install <name of package>

and it'll automatically resolve dependencies.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:10:54 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner),
  In a message on Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:27:36 -0500, wrote :

RS> Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RS> spake unto us, saying:
RS>
RS> >I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
RS> >it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
RS> >installed on my computer.
RS>
RS> USR (before purchased by 3Com) used to provide a DOS upgrade method as
RS> well as the Windows one.  I've upgraded my Courier V.E many times using
RS> their DOS software.
RS>
RS> You also used to be able to upgrade using ANY communications program
RS> (regardless of platform) that could do an Xmodem upload.
RS>
RS> Is this no longer the case?

No, you can still upgrade the firmware with xmodem.  The catch is that
although the firmware updates include the X2/V.90 code, this code is
'disabled' somehow.  The enabler magic is embedded in some MS-Windows
(or MacOS) program (unexplained by 3Com).

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 21 Aug 2000 11:14:50 GMT

On 20 Aug 2000 23:29:37 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Nonsense, nonsense, and more nonsense.  Users can and should set
>their profile to whatever they like, that is not a "fix", that
>is *standard proceedure*.  The "server" merely needs to have a
>minimal and functional environment, and nothing more.  And
>finally, Backspace does send Backspace, but what thet does on
>your terminal is entirely up to you.

You could help if you add a test in /etc/profile.  If the TERM is
linux or vtxxxx then set erase '^?'.  For other terminal types set
erase '^H', all using the stty command.  This is simple, and users
are still free to select something else.

case $TERM in
vt*)    stty erase '^?' ;;
linux)  stty erase '^?' ;;
*)      stty erase '^H' ;;
esac

This requires, though, that terminal emulators does not lie about their
terminal type, and for example pretends to be vt100 when it is in fact not.

BTW, TERM=ansi should be treated as unknown, as this type is defined
differently on various systems; on most unix systems TERM=ansi is the
common subset of TERM=vtxxx.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Fabian Gebhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:28:18 +0200

Really simple using 'duconv'
--
CU, Fabian Gebhardt

   E-Mail:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ICQ#:        77948091
   Homepage:    http://www.ki.tng.de/~gebhardt
   Schul-Seite: http://www.ebg.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Promo Materials
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:53:33 GMT

The Omaha Linux User Group (OLUG) is planning a installfest in October.
We usually have decent turnout for these (50+ newbies).

Does anyone know if the major distros (RedHat, Suse, etc) ever provide
promo materials for these things? If so, who would I contact?

Its a long shot, but worth a try.

Emailed responses would be appreciated.

jferguson3AThomeDOTcom

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 11:57:16 GMT

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>Not to mention, you must also do if ($?prompt), otherwise other
:>things might complain (scp, for instance).

: Well, I can't make out what you are saying there, so I'm just be kind and
: not call it nonsense and ask what you mean?

This is an old superstition (only set term related values if you are in
an interactive session, as evidenced by the presence of the $prompt
variable).  But I've been ignoring it for the last couple of years and
no bad luck so far ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 21 Aug 2000 11:54:05 GMT

(reformatted! Answer below the quote, please!)

In comp.os.linux.help Dave Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Au contraire.  X does not run in tty7.  X normally runs in tty1 (unless
:> started in one of the other virtual terminals).  You can "hot-key" back
:> to the X display using alt-F7, but that doesn't mean that it's
:> "running in tty7".
: I thought it did. I've always started X from tty0. Alt-Ctrl-F0 switches from
: X to the console. Alt-F7 switched back to X. I've assumed this to mean that
: although X is started from tty0 it actually displays on the first
: non-allocated tty. In fact, I seem to remember reading this somewhere

I seem to remember you're correct! You certainly used to be able
to launch X on any tty you like, with "X tty1", for example. I don't
think that's still true nowadays, however, and I think it just takes
the first free tty. Man Xserver might shed some light.