Linux-Misc Digest #550, Volume #20                Wed, 9 Jun 99 03:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  RedHat 6.0 Hanging at boot ("Dale Bryant")
  Run time measurement with micro (or at least milli)-second (Virasit Imtawil)
  Re: Screen Saver In upper left corner (Dr Vincent C Jones PE)
  ISO image of LinuxPPC?? (Raja Wurttemberg)
  Re: How big can swap partition be? (Johan Kullstam)
  CGI-bin returns source not HTTP document? (Peter Salcius)
  Sound Problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Editing a 4.7Mb file (VI limit 2Mb) (Ben Short)
  Re: Typing tutor (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: power off under linux 2.2.x (Peter Caffin)
  Re: CD-writers on Linux (HP8100i) ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: my mouse won't work....getting out of xwindows... (Jay Daniels)
  Re: HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes? ("William B. Cattell")
  Re: crontab help (almost there!) (Les Cole)
  Re: redhat and my mouse (Joel Sloan)
  Re: Kernel Too Big Upgrade Problem ("tester")
  Re: Is it possible to copy a Red Hat CD on a Windows system? (Stephen Hammond)
  Re: Driver for HP Laserjet 4000N in WordPerfect 8 ??? (Rod Smith)
  Re: copying playstation roms...?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mosaic: is it dead?
  Still insalling RH5.2 after a year. (Rodney Loisel)
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (Wolfgang Schneider)
  US Robotics 56K FAX INT PNP modem problem (Michael Champagne)

From: "Dale Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.0 Hanging at boot
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:54:12 -0400

I'm having a small problem which just started today...my redhat 6 system is
hanging at Starting Linuxconf ...what could be the cause of this?

------------------------------

From: Virasit Imtawil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Run time measurement with micro (or at least milli)-second
Date: 8 Jun 1999 22:22:46 +0100

    Dear All,

    I am sorry if this is not where I should write but I would like your
help. I am a beginner here. I use Redhat linux (kernel 2.0.32). I would
like to know how to measure CPU executing time within the C source code in
micro (or at least milli)-second resolution. I tried clock() command but
it's just second resolution which is extremely coarse. For example, I have
a C code like

main() {
    double time_cnt = 0.0;

            --;
            --;
    x = time_start();
            ---;
            ---;
            ---;
            ---;
    y = time_finish();

    time_cnt += y-x;

    if ( time_cnt > limit )
        break;

}

Something like this....is it possible to measure the time in executing any
portion or loop within the code and print it out? Anyone who has some code
to do this? How can I implement it??  I really have no idea....help me
please. Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Virasit

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Screen Saver In upper left corner
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr Vincent C Jones PE)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:29:35 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason Bond  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For some strange reason when the screen saver goes on (after a specified
>amount of time), it only appears in a small (100x100) rectangle in the
>upper left hand corner of my screen.  The rest of screen is not
>affected.  Does anyone know why this might be?  Thanks kindly in
>advance,
>
>  Jason

FWIW: I have seen the same behavior with KDE. I didn't measure the exact
size of the rectagle, but running trn will cause it every time. Killing
and reloading the screen saver fixes it.

--
   Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Expert advice and a helping hand
   Computer Network Consultant           for those who want to manage and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raja Wurttemberg)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.help
Subject: ISO image of LinuxPPC??
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:12:50 GMT

Does anyone know of an ftp site that has an ISO or raw image of the
LinuxPPC CD? I've found lots of RedHat 6.0 for i386 ISO images but
none for the Mac. Arrghhh! Any information provided would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Raja Wurttemberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
/* To prevent SPAM my e-mail address been modified.*/
/* The spammers  have thwarted my  best efforts to */
/* stop them from sending me SPAM so my address is */
/* not available. Sorry.*/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How big can swap partition be?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Jun 1999 17:54:27 -0400

Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:
> >
> > yes, but the original poster specifically asked about linux-2.0.28.
> > it's ancient and should probably be upgraded, but there it is.
> >
> I thought 2.2.28 was a typo for 2.2.8?

egads, you're right!  it did read 2.2.28.  i think 2.2.8 sounds more
plausible now that i think about it.

in any event stay off 2.2.8 and either upgrade to 2.2.9 or revert to
2.2.7.  there was an immature buffer flushing auto sync problem with
2.2.8.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Peter Salcius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CGI-bin returns source not HTTP document?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:48:18 +0000

Hello people:

Another annoying beginner. I am trying to teach myself more about CGI
scripting for server side forms. Since my commercial ISP doesn't allow
access to a cgi-bin dir, I am trying to use the Apache server that came
with my RH LINUX. So far all I get back are the unprocessed source
documents. Anybody out there have the magical KNOW that will allow me to
process server side forms in/on the privacy of my own box?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Salcius

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sound Problems
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 01:31:15 GMT

It started yesterday.  The TIK client, which had played sound fine
previously, starting playing it inconsistently.  It would play the sound
for a few minutes, then stop, but now it has stopped completely.

When I try to play an mp3 in x11amp, it exits.  When I try to use play,
I get sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy.
RH 6.0's sndconfig now says it can't open /dev/audio when trying to play
the sample song.

The strange thing is I can still listen to mp3s using mpg123.  Ok, this
is getting stranger by the minute, now when I try to play them using
mpg123, they don't work either.  Licq's sounds stopped working
yesterday, so I used the PC Speaker, which stopped working a few hours
later.

My Audio Mixer settings are fine, and I haven't changed ANYTHING with my
configuration over this time, and it certainly isn't a problem with my
sound card.  WTF is going on here people?!  I'd GREATLY appreciate any
help.  (Sorry to be annoying like this, but could you please email all
replies, as my news server is down and roaming through dozens of
cluttered Deja pages would be hell, thanks.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.help
Subject: Re: Editing a 4.7Mb file (VI limit 2Mb)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:43:42 +1000

In article <7jkliu$7m4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hi,
>
> How do you edit large files with Linux ? The file we want to edit is
> 4.7Mb
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

Use another file editor :P
If you have pine installed on your box, then its more than likely you
will have pico too.  theres also joe and jed...

Hope this helps,
Ben
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Typing tutor
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:38:28 -0700

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Gerald Willmann wrote:

> since there is _no_ typist rpm on rufus.w3.org I doubt it's part of every
> distribution. Found it on the web, though, and tried to install the newer
> 2.2 version. Going to get 1.0 now since the newer one does not work, at
> least for me.

correction: 2.2a works but needs the shell variables TYPIST_PATH and
TERMINFO set. There is also a java version you can use on the web at
http://www.ocston.org/~simonb/typist30/
                                                 Gerald

------------------------------

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: power off under linux 2.2.x
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:17:53 +0800

tschmegg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How can I shutdown my PC since under Kernel 2.2.x the apm - power-off
> option does not work any more ?? (2.0.36 did it)

Can't help with your apm problem, but, to shutdown your PC, try:

`halt`                  (to shutdown)
`shutdown -h -t 0 now`  (to shutdown)

`shutdown -r -t 0 now`  (to shutdown and reboot)

The number 0 can be varied (it defines minutes to the commencement of
shutdown) as can "now" if you want to give your users a bit more warning
that you're about to force them off.

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-writers on Linux (HP8100i)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 05:20:31 GMT

s98tong wrote:

> Easy to install CD-writers under Linux? which one to choose? Anyone who
> has any recommendations?
>
> Thinking about buying a HP8100i CD-writer since it has got very good
> reviews
> in press. However, I´m wondering how it works under Linux? Anyone who
> has tested? Does the HP disaster recovery work under Linux as well? Is
> there anyone with another HP CD-writer model who has any experiences of
> running it and installing it under Linux?
>
> Yours
>
> Lars Tong Strömberg

It works like a champ under Linux (RH5.2-kernel 2.2.6).  I put
one in a month ago and have been using XCDRoast (which includes
mkisofs & cdrecord).  It works great.  I was able to burn the REd
Hat 6.0 bootable CD under XCDRoast no problem.

Bill

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: Jay Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,at.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: my mouse won't work....getting out of xwindows...
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:07:38 -0400

Larry Clark wrote:

> help...my mouse doesn't work...justr a generic mouse...and I start
> xwindows...and I can't seem to get the start button to open up...yes this is
> my first crack at red hat linux..thanks larry ,
> PS how do I close down xwoindows without the mouse...

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

--
Jay Daniels             email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage:  http://sdf.lonestar.org/~pctech/

------------------------------

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! How to get out when netscape 4.5 freezes?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 05:27:08 GMT

Alex Lam wrote:

> Alex Lam wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I'm using SuSE 6.0, netscape 4.5 came with it. Everything runs
> > fine until
> > I was browsing a web site, and suddenly all data transfer stopped and
> > netscape frozen
> > effect either. I was forced to power off (without shutdown command) to
> > reboot. Fortunity, linux lived through the process.
> >
> >       What should I do if this happen again?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Alex Lam.
> >
> > --
> > *remove the X if reply by e mail.
> > ** no more M$ Windoze.
>
> I believe java is causing the problem.
>
> But still like to know how to get out properly.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex Lam.
> --
> *remove the X if reply by e mail.
> ** no more M$ Windoze.

Use ctrl-alt-bksp to get out of X.  You can also open up a shell,
do a ps aux | grep netscape then kill the process ID that related
to netscape.

From: Les Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: crontab help (almost there!)
Date: 9 Jun 1999 05:31:18 GMT

jdw wrote:

> Les Cole scribbled manically:
> : I am trying to run anlog every day to update my web page stats and
later
> : each day archive these stats in the web page directory. I have tried
the
> : following script and have success with the first part (noosastat.html
is
> : created and updated) but not the second - what am I doing wrong? By
the
> : way should %D%M%Y be preceded by + DATE ?
> :
> : * 1 * * * /usr/bin/analog
> : * 3 * * * cp /home/noosastat.html /home/httpd/html/noosa/%D%M%Y.html
>
>       ?!  If I understand correctly, you want noosastat.html to be
> copied into a file named, for example, 05061999.html.  What you want is
> something like this:
> cp /path/to/noosastat.html /other/path/to/`date +%d%m%Y`.html
> The "date +%d%m%Y" part gives you the date in ddmmyyyy format, and the
> backticks are necessary to tell the shell "replace this stuff with its
output";
> that is, use the filename "05061999.html", not "date +%d%m%Y.html".  You
> also want to use %d and %m rather than %D and %M.
>       So, yes, you need to use "date +" (not "+ date"!).  After all, the
> shell doesn't know what the heck %D%M%Y means.  Try these things on the
> command line before putting them into cron!
>
> JD
>
> --
> I was thrown out of fourth grade because I couldn't write my own name,
and
> it's been all downhill from there.
>                 -- Linus Torvalds, in comp.os.mac.advocacy
Thank you too! JD
I see the error of my ways and everything is now aok, I must admit that I
fell into the trap of using '' quotes instead of `` back quotes but once
that was sorted out I was on my way.

One other thing that has me stumped is how to delete a file that I
inadvertantly put a back quote in front of the filename (during my trial
and error stage)i.e `date - I have tried rm `date and also rm *.* but to
no avail.

I know its got to be easy!

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Joel Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: redhat and my mouse
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 05:45:19 GMT

Larry Clark wrote:

> can't get my mouse to work....dud.,......usiing redhat 5.1 and a generic 3
> button. then tried a MS 2 button and then a logitech 2
> buttons...nothing.....help

After installing the mouse, did you run "mouseconfig" as root?

I would also suggest upgrading to Red Hat 6 - 5.1 will be hard to get support
for...

jjs

------------------------------

From: "tester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Too Big Upgrade Problem
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 06:28:21 GMT

Try making it a bzImage, and make stuff modules as much as possible.

David Janes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Hammond)
Subject: Re: Is it possible to copy a Red Hat CD on a Windows system?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 22:43:48 GMT

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:40:34 -0700, "Steve Hiner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I bought a CheapBytes Red Hat 6.0 CD and I have a friend that wants me to
>copy it for him (saves him a little money since he already has the blank
>CDs).  My problem is that the only CD burner I have is at work and it is on
>a Windows NT machine.  I am using Easy CD Creator Deluxe.  I have searched
>quite a bit about creating Linux CDs on Windows machines and everything I
>find is really talking about creating one from scratch using downloaded
>files (most say it is not possible without using Linux).
>
>The thing I am interested in finding out is if I can copy an existing CD.  I
>don't know a whole lot about how CD burners work with respect to ISO images
>but it seems to me like I should be able to make an ISO image of the
>original CD and burn a new one using the image.  If I were using Linux I
>would trust that but in my experience Windows programs like to "help" you
>out without telling you so I was wondering if it would try to convert the
>file system to Joliet or if an ISO image is a bit-for-bit image of the CD.
>
>If it were my disc I would just burn one and find out if it works but since
>it is my friends CD I don't want to ruin one if I can avoid it.
>
>Thanks for the help,
>Steve Hiner
>developer AT isiaz DOT com

I had some problems burning a CDROM of Linux files because of the
really long filenames and such.  Here is what I did.

I started with
ftp://www.guug.de/pub/members/truemper/cdr/txt/CD-Writing.txt

Using a RedHat 5.2 machine and a Win95 machine with CD burner running
Adaptec Easy CD-Creator Deluxe 3.5b:

On RedHat box, create a tree (e.g. /tmp/cdsource) and put all the
files you want burned into the tree.

then do a: mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage.iso /tmp/cdsource/

This creates an ISO image with rock ridge extensions of the cdsource
tree.  Then ftp the cdimage.iso file to your win95 box with the
burner.

(***IMPORTANT***)
On the win95 box, double click on the cdimage.iso file.  This is
because if you open CD-Creator Deluxe and say file/open/cdimage.iso
things don't work correctly, but if you double click the file and that
causes the application to open, CD-Creator will do the right thing.
Lastly, I had the best luck if I burned the CD using Disc-at-once.  I
think that should be the same as Track-at-once on a data CD, but my
results were better with the Disc-at-once selected.

Hope this helps.  I was able to burn a copy of RedHat 5.2 with all of
the updates onto a single cd using this method.

Regards,

-Stephen Hammond

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Driver for HP Laserjet 4000N in WordPerfect 8 ???
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 22:43:41 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Nguyen-Dai Quy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
> I just installed WP8 on my Linux box (RH-5.2). But I con not found
> driver for my Printer HP Laserjet 4000N.
> You have any ideas ?

I've got the same printer.  (Background for those not in the know: The HP
LJ 4000 series auto-detects and switches between PCL 6 and a clone of
PostScript Level 2.)  I've got it installed with two drivers, both of
which work equally well in most instances: (1) A PCL 6 driver from HP's
web site (http://www.hp.com); and (2) a PostScript driver for the Lexmark
Optra S+ from Lexmark's web site (http://www.lexmark.com).  IIRC, both of
these are located on their respective sites' DOS drivers section; they're
labelled as drivers for WP for DOS 6.x.  I use these because they both
support the HP's 1200 dpi resolution, which many drivers for "lesser"
printers won't.

For more information on selecting and installing WP printer drivers, check
my web site on the subject:

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/wpfonts.html

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: copying playstation roms...??
Date: 8 Jun 1999 22:39:58 GMT

In his obvious haste, Greg Hookey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Hi,
:      Does anyone know how to copy a sony playstation cd-rom using
: cdrecord.

Translation:
Please! Could someone tell me how to pirate Playstation games????
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Mosaic: is it dead?
Date: 9 Jun 1999 06:03:12 GMT

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:55:38 -0230, Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, is Mosaic still around?

It's around somewhere. Archie or something like Yahoo
can find it for you. I was playing around with it a
couple of months ago, but it was a casualty of my
new MB.

>How does it compare to Netscape?

It doesn't, but it's still fun to mess with.
--
Brien
{[EMAIL PROTECTED]}

------------------------------

From: Rodney Loisel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Still insalling RH5.2 after a year.
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:46:10 -0400

I bought Redhat 5.2 about a year ago and am still tying to
get a working environment (Redhat bounced back my requests
for help even tho' I registered with them and their ridiculous 32
character registration number.)
I have spent many, many, hours on the linux.misc news group looking
for information. I finally got my HP722c working with 'pbm2ppa' after
several months, I can actually play a CD after buying a commercial
driver for my sound card. Netscape never worked and apparently
hasn't for many people. Haven't figured out what to do with the
default desktop and the really ugly icons and the thing in the
right hand corner that won't go away.
I've had 13 years experience, mostly on the Amiga. Some beginning
'C' and assem programming, and spent much time using a unix account
at a local college.

I got off to a bad start with Lilo just getting to LI... so after a
year I'm still booting from a floppy. I thought it was the dreaded
1023 block limit but I've since found out that that is 8 GB and my
drive is only 4. ( had to reformat, repartition and reinstall windows
three times.)

I'm not complaining, just letting you know where I've been. I was told
by a couple of local linux 'gurus' that Linux would be the easiest thing

in the world to let up and use (just before they left town with no
forwarding addr.)

My question, finally, is this:
I really need an alternative to the Amiga and the thing I do most on
that is graphics and presention programming (a basic-like program
called the Director2 [not to be confused with the $1000 program for
Windoze]). Also have a HP cd writer but I gather from the ng's that
one has to get several programs to do anything useful with that.

A fair number of post on the linux.misc group are complaints
about how this and that no longer works under RH6.0. That is not
encouraging even if I could figure out how to upgrade/install the
new kernal. Yes, I read the HOW-TO several times. (Info overload)
I have had no problems with file system access. I even heard there
was an Amiga ffs file system but cannot find it on the RH cd.
(also haven't found any of the *.c files so that I could figure out
stuff for myself). Well, that's my sad story. I have made a lot of
progress but a year is a long time to set up a working system. Any
suggestion? I want Linux to work but I'm running out of ideas and
there just isn't enough time to read the thousands of posts on the
newsgroups. I can only manage a hundred or so a day and so many
posts leave out much of the details that a new user needs.

I used to be considered the computer expert where I worked but
this experience has made me wonder if I really want to use
computers at all any more.

Thanks for reading. I guess there's just too many problems for
a response but I needed to have my say.

Rodney Loisel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Enfield NH USA.

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 22:55:34 +0000

> W Canedigh wrote:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > microsoft wants you to run linux.  really!
> > >
> > > --
> > > johan kullstam
> >
> > Hey ... they sold me a copy! In fact, RH 5.2 was so nice I tried Cladera
> > OpenLinux 2.2 just to see what else was possible! Those guys in Redmond
> > are masterful marketers! Ah, Billy m'boy ... you've done it again!
>
> If you really want to see what's possible, try SuSE.
>
> Rick

Or go to go to linuxcentral.com and try Mandrake 6.0 and Debian and .....
At $1.95 a copy just try all of them.

Wolf

*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Champagne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: US Robotics 56K FAX INT PNP modem problem
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 22:53:47 GMT

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get this modem to work with my
Redhat 6.0 system.  I believe this modem uses the 3Com Akita drivers
and I don't think that it is a winmodem.  I see a 16550A UART on COM1
using setserial and since my mouse is PS/2 I believe that this is my
modem -- it uses COM2 in Win98, but I'm sure plug and play may set it
differently under Linux.  However, linking it to /dev/modem or trying
to access /dev/ttyS0 directly using minicom yields no response.
Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Michael Champagne, Software Engineer
Capital Institutional Services, Inc.
Dallas, Texas