Linux-Misc Digest #592, Volume #20               Fri, 11 Jun 99 20:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: RxErrs on ppp0 (Ted Sikora)
  Serial problem [SuSE 6.1/IBM Thinkpad] ("H. Wade Minter")
  A real dumb question (J.C.)
  Re: libjpeg compile/link problem suse6.0 (David Vrabel)
  Tape Library Support (David Christensen)
  cannot chown or chgrp vfat directories/files ("Stephen E. Watts")
  Re: 'ls' command: how to show all files in all directories? (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: Cable Modems (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: duplicating a whole hd ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do i know if i'm running the new kernel?????? (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: Standard 'Vi'? (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: cannot mount floppy (Antonio Martinez-Alcantara)
  more Mitsumi CD-ROM install problems (David Brode)
  Re: first/second/third world (Richard Hickling)
  Re: A real dumb question (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: FAT32 Support for linux (Charles M)
  Re: Still insalling RH5.2 after a year. (root)
  Re: Microsoft =?iso-8859-1?Q?FrontPage=AE?= 2000 Server Extensions for Linux...
(Stewart Honsberger)
  cache problem with MO 640MB under ext2 (Ewald Pfau)
  Re: COL225: LILO says: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)
(Collin W. Hitchcock)
  help: cdrom on ide on SB16 pnp (Indicatrix)

From: Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RxErrs on ppp0
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:29:02 GMT

Pat Crean wrote:

> There were some changes to the /proc filesystem in the network area.  An
> older ifconfig would exhibit exactly the same problem you're seeing with
> tkppp.  Either 'use the source' nad fix it yourself, or grab the latest
> version and see if it's been fixed.
>
> Pat
>
> Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > For several years I was running a http server with a dial-up
> > ISP connection and 56k sportster modem. This was under Slackware
> > 3.x and kernel 2.0.36(last update).
> > I recently upgraded to Slackware 4.0 and kernel 2.2.9. All works well

All fixed. /proc/net/dev has changed with more info so rxerr was in fact
showing rpac(packets). Tkppp is no longer maintained so if anyone wants
the fix let me know. The fix is required for 2.2 kernels.

--
Ted Sikora
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "H. Wade Minter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial problem [SuSE 6.1/IBM Thinkpad]
Date: 11 Jun 1999 20:02:25 GMT

I'm having a strange problem with a serial port on an IBM Thinkpad
running SuSE 6.1.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial script is set to run in runlevel 3 to set up
the serial port for use.  However, after the machine boots, running:
scooby:/ # setserial -v /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
shows that the UART is unknown.  However, if you go right back and
manually run /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial start, it sets the port correctly
and everything's fine.

Redirecting the output of the serial script shows the following error:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Wild interrupts found:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Wild interrupts found:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Wade

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.C.)
Subject: A real dumb question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:29:32 GMT

I am running Linux 2.0.36.

I'm reasonably new at this and have successfully recompiled the kernel a
number of times.

I now want to try recompiling other daemons, starting with apache.

I have installed the apache source package and tried make config only to be
told that there were no rules.

Now the question:
    How does one compile under Linux?

    I tought that I would use the same
    sequence of commands I used for the
    kernel.

------------------------------

From: David Vrabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: libjpeg compile/link problem suse6.0
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:05:14 +0100

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, hernan silberman wrote:

> hej alla...
>
> i get this when i #include <jpeglib.h> in a program, use a few of its
> functions, and try to compile:
>
> >gcc grab_mm.c
> /tmp/ccRmNmoJ.o: In function `write_jpeg':
> /tmp/ccRmNmoJ.o: undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
> /tmp/ccRmNmoJ.o: undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateCompress'
> /tmp/ccRmNmoJ.o: undefined reference to `jpeg_stdio_dest'
> /tmp/ccRmNmoJ.o: undefined reference to `jpeg_set_defaults'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
You have to give the library on the command line so it knows where to find
the symbols.
eg
   gcc grab_mm.c -ljpeg

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: David Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape Library Support
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:40:15 GMT

==============94C2A0933E5CDE9917F73CB0

Just wondering if anyone knows if Linux supports tape libraries or
stackers.  I'd like to implement Linux as an Enterprise solution, but am

lacking this one crucial service... BACKUP!

--
David Christensen
Senior Systems Engineer

Dynamic Systems, Inc.
120 West Bellevue Drive Suite 10
Pasadena, CA  91105
(626)795-4101 x200
(626)683-2768 Fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============94C2A0933E5CDE9917F73CB0

begin:vcard
n:Christensen;David
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Dynamic Systems, Inc.;Engineering
adr:version:2.1;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Senior Systems Engineer
note:The Man!
x-mozilla-cpt:;-26464
fn:David Christensen
end:vcard

From: "Stephen E. Watts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cannot chown or chgrp vfat directories/files
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:58:24 -0400

I am running SuSE 6.1 with kernel 2.2.5.

I have a fat32 partition mounted as /files.

This is my fstab entry for /files
  /dev/sdb1  /files  vfat  auto,rw,user,exec,umask=000 1 1

bash-2.02# ls -l /files
drwxrwxrwx  4 root    root   4096 Jun 11 16:00 directory

I can read, and (usually) write to /files/directory as root and as other
users

I wish to chown and chgrp /files/directory.

When logged on as root when I try to do this, I get the following error
messages:

bash-2.02# chown username /files/directory
chown: /files/directory: Operation not permitted

bash-2.02# chgrp users /files/directory
chgrp: /files/directory: Operation not permitted

I also seem to have permissions problems when some applications try to
write to /files/directory even when logged in as root.

***

What do I need to do so that I can chown and chgrp vfat
directories/files and solve my permissions problems with a vfat
partition?

-Steve

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 'ls' command: how to show all files in all directories?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:02:50 +0100

Try: ls -lR

Mich.

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable Modems
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:12:07 +0100

My cable modem is an external, serial device which quite happily attaches to
ttyS1. Instead of dialling a number proper, it "dials" 4 and I'm in business.
In fact, mine's Hayes compatible and I really can't see much difference between
this and an ordinary modem.

Mich.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: duplicating a whole hd
Date: 11 Jun 1999 16:00:59 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sid Boyce  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>umask 000
>(cd /; tar -cf - . --atime-preserve -p --exclude=proc --exclude=mnt) | tar -xvf -
>--atime-preserve -p
>umask 002

You might want to add  '-l --same-owner -S' to your options for both the reading and
writing tars.  Sparse files can be a killer, e.g., databases.  Setting the blocksize
can help tune this.  If this is supposed to be a backup, a -W on the writing tar
will verify after write.
--
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do i know if i'm running the new kernel??????
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:25:26 +0100

uname -a tells you a lot: hostname, kernel version etc.

Mich.

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Standard 'Vi'?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:28:33 +0100

Admittedly, I use a pretty basic set of vi commands (can't remember the rest of
'm) but they're the same on all systems I've ever used. Maybe it has to do with
the fact that vi is quite " configurable"???

Mich.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Antonio Martinez-Alcantara)
Subject: Re: cannot mount floppy
Date: 10 Jun 1999 22:54:21 GMT

I am still having problems with my floppy. I am sending you an update
about my troubles.

I wrote before:

>I am  new at linux and I cannot mount a floppy disk with msdos files.
>I am typing
>
>mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

Look, I still have the problem. I actually did mkdir /floppy
and I always make sure the floppy is in the drive.

I am using Red Hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.32

I have done some things and I cannot mount the floppy as yet.
Some thing I have done are:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

(I have also tried umsdos and vfat instead of msdos)
The message I get is "the kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block
device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)

I have also tried (and failed!) to do

fdformat -n /dev/fd0H1440

the error message is

"Operation not supported by device"

I have checked the start-linux messages and it says that there is a
floppy 1.44 M present. however in other part says "floppy 0 no controlers
found"

Thanks again and I hope you can help me.

Antonio

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Brode)
Subject: more Mitsumi CD-ROM install problems
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:22:03 GMT

My goal is to get dselect to recognize my cdrom drive so that I can
install applications.

After booting the OS & logging on as /, I enter dselect. I choose [0.
Access] and select multicd. The cd is in the drive. System responds:

>I see that /dev/cdrom exists and is a block device. Insert the CD-ROM and
> enter the block device name [/dev/cdrom]:

So I accept the default. System doesn't like that and responds:

>mount: the kernal does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device.
> (maybe 'insmod driver'?)
> unable to mount /dev/cdrom on /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt, type iso9660
>Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device name [/dev/cdrom]:

And from there I'm stuck. I'm a linux newbie; yesterday was my first
attempt to install a system. Since I couldn't get the cdrom working,
I made installation floppies of Debian 2.1 (slink) from the debian.org

site. Installation went smoothly. I even successfully installed the
cdrom driver correctly after divining the port address, DMA, and IRQ
settings from the interface card. When I boot the OS, the boot banner
says:

> mcd=0x320,9: Mitsumi status, type and version: 10 D 2 Double Speed CD ROM

and it also says:

> Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
> scsi: o hosts
> scsi: detected total

which may or may not be a red herring.  I'm beginning to believe that
my CD isn't SCSI or ATAPI, but some pre-ATAPI proprietary interface.
And my guess is that proprietary interface requires some kind of
different setup.

More hardware info: Micron 486DX 100, CD is Mitsumi FX001D. The
interface card on the CD says CD-ROM Drive 16BIT I/F Card 74-1881A.
I'm kind of confused about the SCSI failed initialization msg, b/c my
HD is IDE and seems to work fine. The Mitsumi manual says nothing
about the interface card being SCSI or IDE. Did I leave out any other
relevant information? Oh yeah, I'm a Gemini.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

------------------------------

From: Richard Hickling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:08:25 +0200

> >US, Western Europe and Canada are First World. East Block (including
> >Italy IIRC) used to be Second World but they're now back to Third World.
> Old World:  Europe and the Mediterranean
> New World:  The Americas
> Third World:  Everywhere else
> but nowadays people seem to use 'Third World' to describe any
> developing country.

These are all fuzzy sets surely.

I thought there was a distinction between 'developing countries' and
'third-world countries' (although perhaps it depends on who is listening).

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A real dumb question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:04:36 +0100

Ohoh, it's not that simple but you'll find similarities! In general, these
source code directories will contain a makefile which contains all the rules
necessary to create the required object files, executables etc. I can offer
only one advise: look for README files and other docs that come with the
package which describe whether you have to do more than just type "make" at the
command line.

Mich.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles M)
Subject: Re: FAT32 Support for linux
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:19:29 -0500

says...

> Hi,
> Can somebody tell me how i can access fat32 partitions from linux?
>
> thanks, Andreas

mount -t vfat /dev/whatever /mountpoint

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Still insalling RH5.2 after a year.
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:02:10 -0500

Rodney Loisel wrote:

> I bought Redhat 5.2 about a year ago and am still tying to
> get a working environment (Redhat bounced back my requests
> for help even tho' I registered with them and their ridiculous 32
> character registration number.)
> I have spent many, many, hours on the linux.misc news group looking
> for information. I finally got my HP722c working with 'pbm2ppa' after
> several months, I can actually play a CD after buying a commercial
> driver for my sound card. Netscape never worked and apparently
> hasn't for many people. Haven't figured out what to do with the
> default desktop and the really ugly icons and the thing in the
> right hand corner that won't go away.
> I've had 13 years experience, mostly on the Amiga. Some beginning
> 'C' and assem programming, and spent much time using a unix account
> at a local college.
>
> I got off to a bad start with Lilo just getting to LI... so after a
> year I'm still booting from a floppy. I thought it was the dreaded
> 1023 block limit but I've since found out that that is 8 GB and my
> drive is only 4. ( had to reformat, repartition and reinstall windows
> three times.)
>
> I'm not complaining, just letting you know where I've been. I was told
> by a couple of local linux 'gurus' that Linux would be the easiest thing
>
> in the world to let up and use (just before they left town with no
> forwarding addr.)
>
> My question, finally, is this:
> I really need an alternative to the Amiga and the thing I do most on
> that is graphics and presention programming (a basic-like program
> called the Director2 [not to be confused with the $1000 program for
> Windoze]). Also have a HP cd writer but I gather from the ng's that
> one has to get several programs to do anything useful with that.
>
> A fair number of post on the linux.misc group are complaints
> about how this and that no longer works under RH6.0. That is not
> encouraging even if I could figure out how to upgrade/install the
> new kernal. Yes, I read the HOW-TO several times. (Info overload)
> I have had no problems with file system access. I even heard there
> was an Amiga ffs file system but cannot find it on the RH cd.
> (also haven't found any of the *.c files so that I could figure out
> stuff for myself). Well, that's my sad story. I have made a lot of
> progress but a year is a long time to set up a working system. Any
> suggestion? I want Linux to work but I'm running out of ideas and
> there just isn't enough time to read the thousands of posts on the
> newsgroups. I can only manage a hundred or so a day and so many
> posts leave out much of the details that a new user needs.
>
> I used to be considered the computer expert where I worked but
> this experience has made me wonder if I really want to use
> computers at all any more.
>
> Thanks for reading. I guess there's just too many problems for
> a response but I needed to have my say.
>
> Rodney Loisel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Enfield NH USA.

I had a lot of problems with RH 5.2 also but when I decided to upgrade to
RH 6.0 a lot of those problems had been fixed. I have also tried Slackware
Linux because it is by far the best documented in the books that are
available at most book stores.
Good Luck.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To:
microsoft.public.frontpage.extensions.unix,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Microsoft =?iso-8859-1?Q?FrontPage=AE?= 2000 Server Extensions for
Linux...
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:01:48 GMT

On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 11:23:38 -0700, test <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/ is the official website
>for the extensions...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HISS!

{ahem}

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ewald Pfau)
Subject: cache problem with MO 640MB under ext2
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:53:22 +0200

Within a session of moving mass-data to several MO-640 disks, I ran into
a problem: One of the tools or drivers involved seemed to forget to mark
some cashed data as invalid after unmount. When swapping a disk, I was
presented the top-directory from a previous disk after having inserted
the next (unmount the previous, mount the next). To prevent damage, I
called 'pcmcia restart' with each disk-swap so everything went fine.
This was with Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA SCSI-card, running on kernel 2.2.9
with mount version 2.9i and pcmcia-cs version 3.0.10. Used mostly mc for
moving of data (backupping via the 'update' function inside its copy
utility).

With ext2, use of the MO-drives is pretty fine (with fat one should not
even try - too slow). For comparison: Could not convince Win95 of having
a disk swapped, instead it would write a false FAT to a next disk
(similar problem as above but more perfectly destructive... has cost me
some unique data). DOS 6.22 would handle the media mostly fine; DOS 7
cannot retrieve correct overall-sizes after swapping (one needs to
switch off/on smartdrv and call chkdsk so it restores most information
for next disk but obviously not all). So Linux looks pretty well here.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Collin W. Hitchcock)
Subject: Re: COL225: LILO says: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)
Date: 11 Jun 1999 19:36:18 -0400

Chris Raper wrote in message <37680405.9672642@wingate>...

>geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)

>From your description your problem isn't lilo or your kernel.

The problem is that you are telling lilo to set things up to load your
kernel from a disk partition that contains cylinder numbers over 1023.
The kernel itself is loaded by BIOS disk routines that have trouble
with cylinders over 1023 (long story involving very shortsighted
harware designers in the 80's).  Your new kernel is, in part or in
full, physically located on at least one of these cylinders.

Possible solutions

1) Put the kernel on a partition with cylinders less than 1024.

2) Make a bunch of copies of your new kernel, try running lilo with
each one, possibly delete some things you don't need on the partition,
make more copies of your kernel, keep repeating this till one of the
copies works, then delete all of the copies except the one that worked
(eventually one of the copies you make will be entirely below cylinder
1024).

Collin

------------------------------

From: Indicatrix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help: cdrom on ide on SB16 pnp
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:37:40 GMT

I did not see the previous post on the newsgroup, so I am rewriting it.
Sorry if you got this twice.

I have a cdrom (ide/atapi) connected to the ide port on a Soundblaster
16 PnP. That can not be changed, since I have two hard drives on the
other ide port. If I boot into dos the PnP card gets initialized. Then I
can soft reboot into Linux and access the cdrom. (it shows up as hdd)

If I do not boot into Dos first, then the disks get recognized before
the PnP is set up, so Linux does not see the cdrom. I have been able to
successfully configure the PnP using isapnp.conf.

Is there any way to get the PnP card initialized before Linux looks for
the disks?

Is there any way to find/recognize the cdrom after the PnP is
initialized? (it would have been missed when Linux found the other
partitions)

Thanks in advance.

Stephen