  Core files, how do I check them? (Walter Francis)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: SuSE vs Red Hat?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:23:14 GMT

On 29 May 1999 17:15:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 1999 06:31:03 -0500, Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:

>>> Depends on your level of skill.
>>>
>>> In a lot of places, I've seen a consensus that Red Hat is the best 'first'
>>> package, for someone who is new to Linux and to Unix.
>>
>>I suspect those opinions were formed by people who never used SuSE.
>>
>>It would be interesting to do a survey of people who have experience
>>with both RH and SuSE and hear their opinions on...
>
>First things first:  Linux - It's All Good! (TM)
>
>>1) Ease of install and configuration for 1st time user
>
>Red Hat has the easier install... YaST can be intimidating...
>but no matter what distribution you choose as a 1st time user, Linux will be
>intimidating (you are installing a UNIX-like OS, right?)

Dont go blaming UNIX for the installation problems of Linux.  Having
just done a round of installations (MacOS X Server, Solaris 7 and
SuSE 6.1 to replace a RedHat 5.2 installation) I can say that Linux
is unique in the pain it inflicts.

Neither RedHat nor SuSE are well suited for complex installations by
someone without Linux experience, and their 300-400 page manuals are
useless for the actual installation.  In SuSE's "Installation - the
details" section, there are NO details on either parititioning large
disks nor package installation.  If you have a large disk with another
operating system, and you want to do something semicustom, you better
know about things like the /boot partition from previous Linux installs,
because the manual isnt going to give you any useful inline information.
Package installation on SuSE is the worst, allowing you to select more
than one configuration concurrently and leaving you with the impression
that you are adding or replacing elements in the list rather than adding
or replacing actual packages with the Add and Replace buttons.  The
markers [i] and [X] are not explained anywhere in the installation text,
but in another chapter.  The most curious thing is that the [i] appears
anywhere, as it says these packages are already installed, when in fact
absolutely nothing is installed on the system.  The package sets are not
described anywhere.  Selecting everything results in conflicts, which
is unique in the 20 or so operating systems Ive installed over the years.
I suspect this is due to the inability to differentiate the core system
from additional packages.  SuSE didnt seem to give a lot of control over
which services were started automatically, so I ended up with a huge
number of processes, including four name servers even though I told it
to use another machine for name service.  Also, whats the deal on swap
partitions?  I thought that 2.2.x was supposed to support swap partitions
over 128M yet the SuSE manual and partitioning software still have
warnings about trying to use swap files over 128M.

As I recall, Redhat was different.  Partitioning was still worse (why
Linux cant allocate a single BIOS partition and provide the usual 8
slices that other UNIX systems provide is beyond me) but the rest of
the installation was smoother, you had more control over which services
ran, and the LILO configuration allowed me to reference the nextstep
partition from the installation routine instead of hand editing the
lilo.conf file and reloading it (something a novice would have to
dig to find out about with SuSE.)  I had to edit the /etc/modules.conf
file by hand to get my Turtle Beach Pinnacle sound card to work as the
UI based configuration just plain didnt work - this wouldnt go over
well with a novice either.  I havent configured this card with SuSE yet,
so I dont know if thats going to be easier or not.  I got the extra
stuff like the PowerTools, only to find that when I wanted to install
a package I got errors about missing packages, and had to fish them
out of the same disc by hand rather than being allowed to select an
"install all dependencies as well" button.  The commercial X server
should also be avoided at all costs if you have a Matrox Millenium
card.  I couldnt select valid display modes for my monitor and when
the screen saver activates the server trashes itself.  The XFree86
stuff worked flawlessly, though the configuration is still not well
setup for a novice.

I havent installed Slackware in years, but I remember is being much
easier to install than either SuSE or Redhat.  Unfortunately its been
too long to quantify why.

>>2) Ease of install and configuration for experienced user
>
>experienced 'Linux' user or 'Windows' user or 'computer' user?
>
>Red Hat will still be easier, but SuSE would be OK, too...
>
>both distributions have problems in installs for laptop users, and all Linux
>distributions' installation SUCK for laptop users... these problems include:
>
>1) not allowing for proper setup of the Card Services
>2) allowance, during Network setups, for pcmcia NICs
>3) although Red Hat 6.0 includes LCD monitor settings, COL, SuSE does not
>
>>3) Ease of post-install administration for 1st time user
>
>Red Hat
>
>>4) Ease of post-install administration for experienced user
>
>Any/either
>
>>5) Choice of included packages
>
>SuSE wins - hands down...

Four CDs worth.  It ate most of the 7G I had remaining on that drive..

>just my $0.02
>
>>In my case I have used RH (4.2 and 5.2), SuSE (5.3, 6.0 and 6.1) and
>>Slackware (3.6).
>>
>>I give SuSE top marks in all of the above. I found RH and Slackware to
>>be close in all the above categories. Slackware is just a little less
>>flashy.
>>
>>Of course RH and SuSE are not the only choices. Caldera has had good
>>reviews for its 1st-time user friendliness.
>>
>>____________________________________________________________________
>>Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
>>If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
>>inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

-Steve

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan E. Railsback" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: overviews of GUI architectures
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:20:32 -0700

does anyone know of any overviews of how GUI's work internally.
preferably something i could download for free.  I was naturally
thinking of X, but i couldnt find any info i could get free- the
opengroup (who controls the X spec) wants to charge $$$$ to download
their lousy pdfs.  i probably only need something general/architectural
anyway.

thanks

jon railsback

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:11:44 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3D Programs

Walter wrote:

>     Does anyone knows any 3d software REALLY good for linux?( something like
> 3dmax...)
> and... softimage was primarely made for unix, does it run on linux?
>
>                                                         Please, answer to
> this e-mail that follows:(and thanks!!!!!)
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you are after raytracers: PovRay.

Marc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Core files, how do I check them?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 01:25:09 -0500

In article <7k3u73$o7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ed Young wrote:
[standard Usenet ordering restored]
> Walter Francis wrote:
>> Basically, I have three core files that I'm not sure about, I would
>> *assume* a package would NOT have a file called 'core' that is used by
>> its programs, rather the core was dumped from the package into its'
>> current directory.
>>
>> But I want to make sure..  :)  Is there a core analyzer, or somesuch?  I
>> have three core files I'm not sure about, here is the ls -l from my cron
>> event to locate them:
>>
>> -rw-------   1 root     root       380928 May 17 09:32
>> /usr/lib/rhs/control-panel/core

> You can run a postmortem debugger on them and find out what
> created them.  The syntax is:
>   gdb --core core
> issued after cd'ing to the directory containing the core.

Will this work if the offending programs do not contain debugging
information?

You can find out which program dumped the core just by running
$ file /usr/lib/rhs/control-panel/core  # and so forth

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Ashley W Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:43:41 -0400

> Walter wrote:
> >
> >     Does anyone knows any 3d software REALLY good for linux?( something like
> > 3dmax...)
> > and... softimage was primarely made for unix, does it run on linux?

Sorry about the reply to a reply, but I think there is a high-end modeler
named something like Blender.

A good page with a listing of 3d software is
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/software.html

-Ashley Campbell

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:57:51 +0200
From: Thomas Ruedas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't boot linux anymore from HD

Hello,
last saturday I suddenly could not boot Linux from the HD anymore. When
booting, LILO begins the boot process correctly, but after that first
line "Loading linux..........." is written to the screen, the PC reboots
immediately. However, it is still possible to boot from diskette (which
takes an eternity), and LILO also lets me boot into DOS correctly (DOS
is on my /dev/hda partition). After booting from diskette, I seem to be
able to work absolutely without problems. Also, I don't remember any
essential problems during the last sessions or the last shutdowns before
the problem appeared.
I'm using Debian Linux 2.0.34 on a P100 PC.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions concerning possible causes of
the failure or any advice at which parts of the system to look for
fixing the problem.
Thank you,
Thomas Ruedas
Institute of Meteorology and Geophysics,
J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt/Main
Feldbergstrasse 47                      D-60323 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Phone:+49-(0)69-798-24949               Fax:+49-(0)69-798-23280
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geophysik.uni-frankfurt.de/~ruedas/

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Subject: Re: /etc/termcap question
Date: 14 Jun 1999 12:32:36 -0400

"T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > if it has more than 24 lines it is no longer emulating a vt100.
>
> let's not be too pedantic.  DEC's vt420 terminal can have page sizes
> other than 24 lines even when emulating a vt100.

the point being that since the original vt100 only had 24 line mode
there are no `how many lines have you got?' escape codes for it.
anything that resize could use would be an extension to the vt100
codes and therefore not covered under the rubric of vt100.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: "Andromeda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: red hat linux 6.0 + windows 2000
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:27:17 -0700

I have windows 2000 and I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 6.0 but when I
use the boot disk and restart the computer it gives me a message that boot
failed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help for MODEM
Date: 14 Jun 1999 12:59:16 -0400

"Emanuele Fabrizi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have an internal modem PCI called : SupraExpress 56i V PRO
> make by DIAMOND.
> Under Windows98 it works : Port = COM3
>                                                 Interrupt = 10
> and the 'DOS Support' menu (under 'Propriety') says :
> for DOS application :  COM Port = COM3
>                                        Base Address(Hex) = 03e8
>                                        IRQ = 4.
>
> Under Linux (SuSE 5.3) the modem don't work.

yes.  this is correct.  under linux, in any flavor, the modem will
never work.  i am sorry to have to break it to you, but you have a
_modem of lose_[1].

<URL:http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html>

[1] imnsho a much more accurate description than winmodem.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Mike Wooding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Databases are available for Linux
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:20:03 -0700

bowman wrote:
> Al wrote:
> > Which databases are available for Linux?
> > I want to connect Java to the database.
>
> mySQL and postgreSQL are two that are available. I'm using mySQL, and it
> seems to be almost a full implementation. Foriegn keys are not
> supported, though the syntax won't choke the manager. Embedded SQL is
> also lacking, though there is a fairly standard API that you should be
> able to get going with Java.

 We have UNIFY DataServer 6 running on
Linux (2.2.5-15)
 and are quite pleased with it. They are
busy porting
 their Vision tools to Linux, too.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Wooding)

 The secret to success is sincerity;
 when you can fake that, you've got it
made.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: 15 Jun 1999 06:20:05 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Latenar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> When I bought my computer, HP included a bunch of software that I never
>> use. Where is my refund for all of this software? Furthermore, I am a

Unfortunately for this argument, MS includes what they call a license
withtheir software, which claims that you must agree to the terms of the
license that if you do not your should return the software for a refund.
Now, one could argue that the terms of this "license " are invalid as it
tries to bind the purchaser to terms of an agreement after the fact.
However such an agreement is binding on the party that wrote it, even if
not on the party that received it, since they presumable knew what they
were writing. BMW never agreed to refund you the price of the ashtray if
you disagreed withthe terms of the license on that ashtray (eg that only
german cigarettes were allowed to be used in there).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: problems with glibc2
Date: 15 Jun 1999 02:14:24 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks for the help! I ask for it cause try to install java 1.2 and it ask for
> glibc 2.0.7. Netscape 4.5 for glibc2 ask for it, and oracle 8 for linux need
> only linux 2.0.34 and ask for the same glibc2 version also.  Is glibc2 2.0.7
> for linux 2.2.x only or...? and ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/glibc/ only has
> up to 2.0.6.  It is confusing.

You can run any glibc on any 2.x kernel.  You may need to have 2.2.x kernel
headers in order to compile glibc-2.1.x.

Apparently there will never be a glibc-2.0.7 release, but the pre-release
sources can be found at ftp.us.kernel.org/pub/software/libs/glibc.  (Those
outside the USA should substitute their appropriate country code for "us"
in the hostname.)

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.lang.java.databases
Subject: Re: What are the differences between mySQL and mSQL?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Baccus)
Date: 14 Jun 1999 11:13:00 PST

In article <7k1vru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
david parsons <o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Don Baccus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Not necessarily true.   If you have several related tables
>>that need to be logically updated at once, the atomicity of
>>the transactional model is, well, useful if there's a crash
>>while records are being inserted or updated.

>    Denormalize, denormalize, denormalize.
>    Yeah, you might bloat your rdb by a factor of 10 to do this,
>    but disk and core is getting cheap these days.

Denormalization is something sane folks do to increase performance,
not to avoid the need for a real database engine.

If you've denormalized checking balances into thirty tables,
don't have atomicity, and an update dies half-way through
updating these tables, which balance do you trust?

Or if another process reads these tables when processing
an order, which balance should it use if they don't all
agree?

I suppose you can start implementing all sorts of cross-checks
to help you unwind afterwards but...

Why bother?  Why not use a transaction-based db in the first
place?

--

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Core files, how do I check them?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:10:20 -0400

Basically, I have three core files that I'm not sure about, I would
*assume* a package would NOT have a file called 'core' that is used by
its programs, rather the core was dumped from the package into its'
current directory.

But I want to make sure..  :)  Is there a core analyzer, or somesuch?  I
have three core files I'm not sure about, here is the ls -l from my cron
event to locate them:

-rw-------   1 root     root       380928 May 17 09:32
/usr/lib/rhs/control-panel/core
-rw-------   1 root     root      6967296 May 27 01:43
/usr/lib/rhs/glint/core
-rw-------   1 root     root       929792 May 20 15:36
/usr/local/qt/core

The first and last I'm not too concerned about, but the one in glint is
rather *large* and makes me wonder..  :)

Appreciate it.. :)

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0