  Re: Email Signatures question (Gerald Willmann)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:46:35 GMT

On 15 Jun 1999 15:59:19 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry)
wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:06:53 +0200, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>It was the 13 Jun 1999 18:17:38 GMT...
>>>
>>> this is the most impressively patronizing, ivory-tower, silly,
>>> academic attitude I've heard in a long time.  it sounds like something
>>> that a wild-eyed leftist prof would have said in about 1960.
>>
>>Well, that being said, have you got any actual proof that his
>>assessment was wrong?
>>
>>mawa
>
>Caution mawa is the same leftist type.

If he has, that wasn't it.

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Testing for presence of files
Date: 16 Jun 1999 16:26:27 GMT

In his obvious haste, Giles Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Could anyone please help????

: I have encountered a difference between how Sco Unix and Red Hat Linux 5.2
: interprets metacharacters in script tests.

: E.g.

: if [ -f file*.txt ]
: then
:     echo files present
: fi

: This works in Unix if there is more than one file matching the criteria, but
: it doesn't in Linux. I get the error "Too many arguments".

: Is there any way around this ??

I don't know how a script would use it, but couldn't the output of
find <path> | -name <name> be used to determine if it exists or not?

(I've yet to get my teeth into shell scripting...)
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell Bsc   |                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: Al Spohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No .bash_profile settings on startup
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:24:33 +0000

Howdy -
Why is it that I always have to do a source ~/.bash_profile for any of
my settings to be in effect on login?  As far as I can determine my
setup is pretty much vanilla, i.e., nothing fancy happening on startup
other than the X stuff... and I' running kde for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance,
Al
--
Al Spohn
Publishing and Media Technology Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 16 Jun 1999 12:51:36 -0400

%% "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  >> IE ?  who cares. THe Solaris version is a POS.

  cm> Couldn't be worse that Netscape.

Hah hah hah!  You _obviously_ have never tried it.  I have.  Trust me,
no matter how bad you think Netscape is, IE for Solaris is much, much
worse.  I posted a review of my experience with it last summer.

  - It doesn't have any features except the browser (no mail, no news
    client, no editor, etc.)  It does have a way to invoke your own,
    though (I wish Netscape made this simpler!)  This is its _only_
    useful point :).

  - It's _huge_ compared to Netscape, both on disk and in memory--and
    this is compared full-fledged Netscape Communicator with all the
    trimmings, not the standalone Navigator, which is basically what IE
    for Solaris is.

  - It's _much_ slower than Netscape.

  - The first time it starts it creates a huge directory structure under
    your home directory with megabytes and megabytes of stuff in it (not
    cache files, either).

  - It died twice on me in one day.

  - It looks and works more like a Windows app than a UNIX/X app.  Yuck.

You may not like Netscape, but they do a far, far better job of writing
Windows apps than Microsoft does writing UNIX/X apps.

IMO, Netscape on UNIX isn't too bad.  It's big and kinda slow, and until
very recently would die on me much more than I expect from a UNIX tool,
but since I started using Navigator 4.08 it's been pretty stable.  (I
tried 4.5 for a while, but the bookmark drag-n-drop is busted so I went
back to 4.08).

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bartman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:30:36 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:30:20 GMT, John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>ajr-5 wrote:
>> > If we all smart as Bill Gates, he wouldn't be as rich as tody. Just
>> > because he noticed PC will have feuture before IBM did. So we got
>> > windows today.
>>
>> Actually, IBM hired Billy Gates to build them DOS, so actually, IBM thought
>> the PC had a future as well.

No, they didn't.

IBM thought micros were a passing fad and they ignored them completely
for several years.  During those several years the magazine articles
were filled with comments to the effect that the microcomputer
marketplace was just for hackers and kids playing games, and wouldn't
be approved for business use until IBM made a PC.  People kept asking
them when this would be, and they kept saying they weren't interested.

Then, eventually, they gave in to the presure and made a PC that
*proved* they weren't interested! :^)

They went about it by gathering a couple of dozen of their hardware
designers who were into playing with "toy computers" in their spare
time and asked them what a micro should have in it.  These folks made
a list of the features they would love to have in their home computers
(casette interface, 80 column character display, lots of memory (maybe
even as much as <gasp!> 256K!), floppy drive for the rich kids, etc.
IBM said, "Fine, go build it.  We want it ready to go to manufacturing
in 12 months, so work fast!"

It was a scramble, with little time for pondering the future of the
machine...they had to throw something together in a hurry.  They saved
a lot of time by grabbing a cashregister design they had done
recently, and doubled up the chips to go from 4-bit to 8-bit data
paths.  They'd wanted to use a 16-bit CPU, but quadrupling the path
width was not practical using the chips in the cashregister design, so
they settled for a 16-bit (sort of...) CPU with an 8-bit external data
path width (8088).   They exposed most of the CPU and memory bus lines
in the form of "expansion slots" (one of their few good ideas...though
poorly implemented in terms of upgradeability...there were other
busses around at the time that did it better), and they put in their
beloved cassette interface, along with a single-density, single-sided
5.25" floppy for those who could afford it.  They also got their 80
column text mode display (monochrome), and came up with a BIOS so they
could change things later without breaking too many programs (had it
been better designed for upgradeability fewer folks would have
bypassed it and gone straight to the hardware anyway...).

That's the way the hardware design was thrown together...the software
was similarly handled.  They knew you had to have a BASIC interpreter
to be a micro in those days, and Bill Gates' MicroSoft BASIC was one
of the more popular choices, so they went to him for their language.
They'd been having some problems with the folks who were selling
CP/M-86, they were not pliable enough to suit IBM, so while they were
there they asked if he wanted to do the OS too.  He said he knew
nothing about writing an OS (the truth, as history records...;^), but
they said they had lots of folks who did, and they'd help him get
started.  Then he remembered a local guy who'd done his own port of
CP/M to the 8086 chip.  I forget the guy, but seem to recall the name
"Seattle Computers" vaguely in relation to this...it's been a while!
:^).  Anyway, Billy calls him up and asks if he'd be interested in
selling his CP/M port for the 8086...the guy (knowing nothing about
IBM's interest) says he guesses so, how much?  Bill offers him about
$50,000, and the rest is history.

A year and a half later the IBM PC hit the streets at over $3500 a
copy (they stripped it down to an unusable system unit for $1795 to
stay competitive with other machines, but it was well over $3000 by
the time you added back in all the "unbundled" parts that you needed
to actually boot it and use it).  Two OSs were available, CP/M-86 and
PC-DOS.  IBM tended to stress PC-DOS, and it *was* slightly better
than CP/M-86, so CM/M-86 eventually went away.

>> And furthermore Windowz was copied from Mac so
>> don't give Gates too much credit. If Macs didn't have a GUI who knows what
>> we would have today...

Probably the Xerox Star interface...that's what Steve Jobs swiped to
create the Lisa and then the Mac...I thought it was hilarious when he
had the gall to object to Bill doing  the same thing to him that he
had done to Xerox.

>I think the TNT original movie "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" will illustrate
>this and all of Billy-boy's other underhanding, tactics in his quest to screw
>over Steve Jobs and the consumer quite nicely.

I'm not so confident they will get it right.  Journalists *never* get
the story right when it comes to high tech...it's just not something
they can understand...that's why they went to Journalism school rather
than engineering school...the fact that the title says it's about
Silicon Valley, yet the ads show a Bill Gates character, shows that
they have screwed up...Redmond isn't *in* the Silicon Valley!

I'm expecting much more of a tribute to Bill as far as the Microsoft
part of the show goes...even though he's not in Silicon Valley and
never was.  They'll have gotten their info from marketting hacks at
the various firms, not from actually living through the times and
reading the computer mags that carried the story month-by-month as it
happened, and by buying and using the products when they were new,
like I did.

>> BTW: I'm not defending Macs, that's just the way it is (was)...

Well, not quite. :^)

-- Mike "anybody got a good use for an complete Atari-800 system?"
Bartman --
  To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address.
  I'm getting sick of all the spam...

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:29:08 -0500
From: matth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.functional
Subject: Re: kernel mode programs (yes, this is on topic)

Frank Meisschaert wrote:

> Ketil Z Malde ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Okay, yet another silly thought, I'm sure, but...

Not silly to me at all.  A lot of work, maybe.  I once thought about
doing something similar to this in java, but now I believe that a
functional language would be much better suited.

> : Regarding the recent Linux http performance hack[1], which is kind of
> : an ugly beast, would it be possible to generalize and elegantize this?
>
> : I'm thinking of a way of making arbitrary code blocks run directly in
> : kernel mode, after the OS somehow verifies that they are harmless to
> : the OS itself - you naturally don't want to let user mode programs run
> : arbitrary assembly code in the kernel.  Is this possible?  What would
> : it take?
>
> : And has it been done already?  Would such a system be fast enough that
> : it would still see the performance benefit from avoiding to cross the
> : kernel/userland barrier?
>
> I think what you seek is some sort of interpreter in the kernel. You could
> of course develop another executable format like the elf and a.out modules.
> I believe that also shell scripts do have such a module which just executes
> the first line with the file as argument (You now: #!/usr/bin/bash and
> such). You could place an interpreter similar to perl in the kernel, which
> first compiles, i.e. checks if code is safe, and then executes with a high
> priority. (you are kernel, you state the initial priority level)

I don't think the interpreter/compiler would have to be in the kernel.
A compiler that ran as root could check the safety of the program,
compile it to machine code, then load it as a module, just like the
khttpd loads as a module.  The hardest part is checking the safety of
the code, but I think this is much easier with Haskell, or any pure
functional language.  The pure functional stuff is _always_ safe, only
the IO monad can be dangerous, so the checker only has to look at
actions performed in the monad.  In fact, could the kernel export only
authorized actions to the program so that an unsafe program couldn't
even be compiled?  I also think that pure FP avoids a lot of the locking
that's necessary in side-effecting code.  The biggest problem I see with
using functional programming (FP) in the kernel is the need to add a
garbage collector (GC) to the kernel; that would be a big hit in kernel
size and speed, I think.  Maybe the GC could be done in a user process,
outside the kernel (like the "cleaner" for a logging filesystem)?
Either that or in a kernel thread.  Is it possible to compile some
(nontrivial) FP code so that it doesn't require GC at all?

I also fear that any speed gains from not switching to user mode would
be lost in the inefficiency of all known Haskell implementations today.
I think future Haskell compilers can someday outperform C because there
are more potential optimization opportunities in Haskell code.  But
imagine someday having a complete kernel (not linux, some future OS)
that is _provably_ correct and bug-free!  Very exciting, I think.

> Now crossing the kernel/userland barrier will not be effective if the code
> is bound to a process. Code which isn't bound to any process is only run on
> demand of a certain process. So if you want performance (and stay within the
> OS) the only thing to do is to increase your priority level.

Actually I think that kernel threads can run independently of any
particular process (I guess they are processes themselves, sort of).  At
least, that seems to be what khttpd is doing.  Am I wrong?

> Frank
>
> PS: you can make use of the kernel debugger.

Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (klea)
Subject: TEST
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:35:27 GMT

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What are the differences between mySQL and mSQL?
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.lang.java.databases
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:43:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Doug DeJulio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8Gs93.60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >In comp.os.linux.development.apps Don Baccus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >: Why bother?  Why not use a transaction-based db in the first
: >: place?
: >
: >simple - cause not all the linux db's HAVE transactions.  that's why!

: That's not an answer.  Some linux db's (including free ones) *do* have
: transactions.  If you need transactions, why not switch to one of
: those instead of jumping through hoops to avoid it?

uhm, lesser of two evils, then?

I like the stability of mysql but dislike the fact that it has no transactions.

I like the trans. of postgresql, but it has some bugs that make me
want to avoid postgresql.

since I can structure my code (pretty much) so that transactions
aren't a MUST-HAVE, I choose mysql.  for now, at least.

--
Bryan [at] Grateful.Net
http://www.Grateful.Net

------------------------------

Subject: Re: automatic loading of sound modules - how?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:34:55 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Johan Kullstam wrote:
> > under 2.0.* kernels, kerneld would load up the sound modules whenever
> > i accessed sound.  for example
> >
> > $ cat /etc/passwd > /dev/audio
> >
> > would cause the sound modules to load (if they weren't already) and
> > some static to emanate from my speakers.
> >
> > now, under 2.[12].* with kmod, i get
> >
> > $ cat /etc/passwd > /dev/audio
> > bash: /dev/audio: No such device
> >
> > if i modprobe or inmod the sb driver by hand or in a script, then i do
> > get sounds and all seems well.  however, the force loaded modules are
> > not marked autoclean and they always clutter memory.
> >
> > how do i get the former 2.0.* behavior out of the newer kernels and
> > kmod?
>
> You need a line like
>   alias char-major-14  sb
> in your /etc/conf.modules file.  You will probably need to specify the
> proper options, too, in the form
>   options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5
> (please alter with the correct values).
>
> > why this regression from something that used to work?
>
> The sound business has been reorganized.  Now a kernel can be built
> with modules for more than one type of sound card.

here is my new /etc/conf.modules

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 tulip
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
options op13 io=0x388
alias char-major-14 sb
alias sound sb
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

sound still isn't autoloading.  i am not sure if kmod has picked up on
the changes or not.  depmod -a didn't do anything.  giving kmod a hup
is difficult since it doesn't appear in the process table.  must i
reboot?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:40:29 +1200

Philip Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> If you read the supplied URL above, you'll learn that microsoft doesn't
have
> to cheat, to give a better performance than linux on an SMP box.
> Personally, I'd like to see the results on the same machine, when
> linux is swapped out for solaris.

But Linux != Solaris, the benchmark is between Linux and NT.

Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: samba-server does not appear in the network neightbourhood
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:59:16 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, hauke.luethje@cybernet-
ag.de says...
> Hi, all together,
>
> I have a problem with a samba-server (version 2.0.3) with
> SUSE Linux 6.1.
> My network looks like this:
>
> 2 Windows NT 4.0 Servers (SP4) as PDC and BDC
> 1 Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (SP4) with Firewall-SW as primary DNS
> 1 Linux PC (SUSE 6.1 with Samba 2.0.3) as secondary DNS
> some Win95 and Win98 Clients.
>
> The samba-server work fine but he does not appear in the network
> neightbourhood windows of the windows servers and clients.
>
> With "search computer" the samba-server will be found and its shares
> will be displayed.
>
> The services smbd and nmbd are started through scrips in the
> file rc.config and not in the file inetd.conf.
>
> There is another fact that can be important for the solution of the
> problem:
> when i call "nmblookup -d 2 '*'", then i only receive an answer (got
> positive name query response) from the samba-server itself. The other
> machines in the network dont give a response, but they are in
> the same subnet ( net:172.16.x.x subnetmask: 255.255.0.0).
>
> does anybody have a solution for this problem?
> Hauke
>
> A copy of my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>    netbios name = teslixa
>    workgroup = TESCOM
>    guest account = nobody
>    server string = Samba Server
>    keep alive = 10
>    os level = 33
>    interfaces = 172.16.0.12/255.255.0.0
>
>    security = domain
>    password server = tesnt4b
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>
>    domain master = no
>    local master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    wins support = no

You may find it will work if you make the samba box the prefferred local
master browser. I had a similar problem and that rectified it.

Alternatively, youw could read the BROWSING.txt file that is in the samba
docs, for remote announce and things like that :)

Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

From: Arwen Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: MkLinux on LAN
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:50:45 -0500

I'm running MkLinux on a G3 Pwbk. The modem isn't yet supported, so I'm trying
to set up for a LAN- where do I start? Do I have to set up a server (not the
best, my IP address is currently variable) or setup outside of X-Win.... ?

Thanks.

Arwen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:53:03 GMT

I would agree, the AS/400 is not the best at DNS, routing and other
TCP/IP stuff. But IBM is getting their shit together and improving it.
When I get the chance as an AS/400 consultant I try to recomend using
Linux for the things the AS/400 lacks. Linux is actually a cost benifit
for an IT department. After 15 years in the IT business Linux comming
along was one of the best things for IT in years. IT people can do just
about anything with Linux and run it on cheap (inexpensive) hardware and
they don't have to pay Fee's $$$ out the butt like we do for everyone
else's stuff. The bean counters like good returns on investment. And
linux gives them a FAST return on their investment.

> Actually, I doubt that will ever happen.  I also am an IT person who's
> responsible for a number of AS400 computers with a number of my
clients.  I
> could argue that the AS/400 is one of the finest data base machines in
> existence.  And yep, I'd trust my mission critical data to one of
those vs a
> Linux/Oracle box any day.
>
> What Mr Amaru has missed though, is where Linux has strengths that the
AS/400

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:57:12 GMT

Except for the fact that Bill Gates didn't even write DOS. He bought one
form someone else. The story of Gates and Microsoft, since they can't
inovate, buy it, steal it or copy it. That's why M$'s stuff sucks so
bad. They didn't write half the products they release! They just hack up
the stuff the buy, and steal, the stuff the copy they haven't got a clue
on how to write in the first place!

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Email Signatures question
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:56:31 -0700

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Paul Jarvis wrote:

> We have a Redhat distribution of Linux on a PC configured as a mail server
> using sendmail 8.9.0 and a POP3 daemon.
> I have a requirement to attach a company disclaimer signature to all of the
> outgoing emails. Although this could be done on the client PCs (running
> mixture of outlook and Netscape) I'd rather handle this on the server not
> only for ease of administration but that the disclaimer is of a legal nature
> and could be changed on the client PCs

this is more of a sendmail question. Check out www.sendmail.org - they
should have a FAQ and a mailing list or even newsgroup. But you might want
to consider switching to a more secure MTA like qmail as sendmail has a
history/reputation of security holes before you invest any further work.

btw, what do you mean by client(???) PCs - you are not using some toy M$
OS on otherwise powerful hardware, are you?
                                                  Gerald