From: George Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with LA50 printer on RH 5.2
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:28:48 -0400

I have an old DEC LA50 printer that I can't seem to get working with RH
5.2. Everthing went okay as far as printtool goes except that it just
doesn't print. When I lpr something it just sits in the queue as active
and never prints. Lpc status says that it is printing. The printer does in
fact still work in that I tested it on another system this morning. I have
played with all the printtool options and have played with the dip
switches inside the LA50. I tried READY/BUSY instead of XON/XOFF, but no
luck. Has anybody gotten an old LA50 to work with RH 5.2?

------------------------------

From: Jeld The Dark Elf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: OK, Whats wrong with this kernel configuration???
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:20:13 GMT

OK Let's see. First thing I noticed is that you compiled ELF support as
module. Try to compile it into the kernel. Remove Co-Processor
emulation ( you do not need it ), remove SMP support if you didn't, set
processor type to PPro Intel Pentium, make sure that your IDE drive
support is compiled in. Try again.

Good Luck

Jeld The Dark Elf

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape and Massive harddrive swapping
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:35:30 -0700

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Farid Noujaim wrote:

> I have a cable modem connected to my linux box running windowmaker.  My box
> is a P200 with 16Megs of RAM (soon to be more).  WindowMaker runs fine as
> long as Netscape doesn't exist on screen.  I open netscape and surf the web
> for about 10-15 minutes at decent speeds.  After that time-frame going from
> page to page gets to be a taxing thing for me and my system.  All I hear is
> the harddrive spinning to catch up with the info coming down the pipe.  I've
> tried to decrease my cache space but that didn't help, increasing it doesn't
> either.  It's getting quite frustrating
> Any help would be appreciated.

buying more RAM should solve the problem. With 32 megs I still sometimes
experienced this problem, with 64 almost never. And this is on a P75. Once
you have more RAM, increasing netscape's memory cache should speed things
up. All this said, I'm still looking forward to mozilla.
                                                             Gerald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Wueppelmann)
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:33:32 GMT

In our last episode (17 Jun 1999 10:54:06 GMT),
the artist formerly known as Conrad Sanderson said:
>The first Mindcraft report was muddled in execution, and we were
>lucky that there was so much negative press about it, mostly for
>a good reason.  But it also showed that Apache and Linux both
>have performance weaknesses which need to be addressed.

As an aside, regarding Apache, I though it was interesting to hear what the
Apache folks had to say about the whole affair.  The main points were

- Apache wasn't designed to be a speed daemon; it was designed to be
  reliable, flexible and handle protocols correctly.   Apache would
  probably never win any speed tests.
- Speed is only useful up to a point, after than, it's just a marketing
  tool.  In tests, Apache running on a measly P166 could generate enough
  traffic to saturate a 10Mbps Ethernet connection, so it would seem to be
  fast enough that Apache itself wouldn't normally be the limiting factor.

Unix in general is like that too -- speed is almost never priority #1.
Instead, Unix focused on being clean, flexible and reliable.  Unix programs
aren't paradigms of speed, but if it's not going fast enough, you can
always buy faster hardware.  After all, the hardware to run Linux faster
as you want it is going to be affordable long before M$ is going to
get all of the bugs out of NT.

That's what bugs me the most about this Mindcraft thing.  Not that the
tests were conducted in a less than open, honest and fair manner, but that
what the tests were testing really isn't what's important.

>We know that we will lose this benchmark, so why on earth did
>Red Hat get involved ???

My view tool.  I think that the correct position to take is that benchmark
tests can be set up to generate any outcome desired, and that benchmarks
taken in one situation are meaningless in any other.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny Zhu)
Subject: The best IRC and ICQ applications for Linux?
Date: 18 Jun 1999 04:46:40 GMT

Hi I'm wondering what's the best IRC / ICQ applications for Linux (w/o KDE
GNOME). Please let me know. Thanks.

Kenny

--
                       __--------__
                     /      |      \

   "The most important thing is be true to yourself."
 $$$$  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ah190/Profile.html $$$$

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Curley)
Subject: Re: Wheel mouse
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 05:02:42 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:06:03 +0200, "Gabriele Frankemoelle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled:

>Good eve, everyone!
>
>Bad news? The manual says "Logitech Mouse Man - the Mouse that Scrolls in
>Windows 95" - but does it scroll in Linux, too? So far I haven't figured out
>the correct settings - if there are any - to assign any function to the
>wheel. Does anyone use a wheel mouse and has ten minutes to tell a newbie
>what to do?

Gee, with all the people bashing microsoft, you still should have
bought the Microsoft Intellimouse.  It works fine in Linux with NO
special settings or downloads in Linux.  Works perfect... wheel and
all.

Microsoft Zone ZSTAR  (*schrumby)
AntiSpam Email:  schrumby at hotmail dot com
Visit my homepage at http://surf.to/joes

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rifkind)
Crossposted-To: alt.folklore.computers,alt.usenet.kooks
Subject: Re: TAO: the ultimate OS
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 05:12:50 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:19:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher
Browne) wrote:
>On 11 Jun 1999 18:10:25 -0400, Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <7jrqn1$m4l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Indeed. This one's not the crank. It's "Viro".
>>                                      ^^^^^^^
>>I beg your pardon?
>
>They both have surnames that start with the letter "V."
>
>On Usenet, that's quite enough to establish identity...

You mean...that means...there are only 26 people on Usenet?  And I'm
Dennis Ritchie?

--
"Generally speaking, things have gone about as far as they can possibly
go when things have got about as bad as they reasonably get."

------------------------------

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:19:44 GMT

"J.R. Chaffer" wrote:

> I wonder if Gabriel is now guilty of a "hate crime" - inviting
> violence to someone with whom he disagrees.
>
> As far as slapping heads around, I doubt if many linuxites
> could slap around anything tougher than a pillow, at least
> the ones I have met.
>
> Here is my comment for those who honestly believe that
> Microsoft has anything to fear from the "free (taxpayer
> supported) software" movement:
>
>  hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
>
> x100 lines.

I find it outrageously hilarious that you are laughing at the thought of
Linux being tough competition for Microsoft. Yet Microsoft is basing
most of their case on the fact that Linux is a free OS that is a viable
competitor to them.  They have also on various interviews spread lies
about the OS. Bill obviously doesn't find Linux to be such a laughing
matter.

As far as "Linux-ites"  being able to to slap heads around. I've never
wrestled anybody I couldn't beat. The only time I was even tied was
against a 350 lb guy. I know 3-4 different ways to break any given bone
in the human body, and 2-3 ways to kill a man with my hands. And my
ability turn items such as sponges into lethal weapons has earned me the
title "The innovator of violence". If you think I'm just bluffing, ask
my sister's boyfriend, whose head I threatened to cut off with fishing
line, or my sister's friend's boyfriend, who won't even come into the
same room with me.

Windows users ain't nothing but a bunch of people to stupid to figure
out that computers aren't supposed to crash, that Microsoft could care
less about them, and that they do have a choice. How on earth is
somebody so stupid supposed to compete with a technical fighter like
myself.

So I have the same thing to say to idiots like you that I have to say to
Bill Gates:

"Leave me alone and think you're a man, or step to me and know that
you're not!"

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:21:30 GMT

Hi JR:

J.R. Chaffer wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I wonder if Gabriel is now guilty of a "hate crime" -
inviting
>violence to someone with whom he disagrees.

Give it a rest JR.

>As far as slapping heads around, I doubt if many linuxites
>could slap around anything tougher than a pillow, at least
>the ones I have met.

Are you allowed to use your Daddy's computer, gippy?

>Here is my comment for those who honestly believe that
>Microsoft has anything to fear from the "free (taxpayer
>supported) software" movement:

Where did you get the idea that Linux is taxpayer supported?
Linux isn't a USA (taxpayer supported) phenomenon, it is a
product of the Internet community.

What does Microsoft have to fear from a "free (not taxpayer
supported) software" movement?

Well, the fact that Linux is now reported to be the most
popular operating system for delivering content on the
Internet is reason enough to fear. It kind of puts a dent in
MS's marketing multi thousand dollar software packages when
Linux and Apache are available, installable and free for the
downloading.

Further, Linux and Apache have a superior track record of
reliability, stability, efficiency and economy (as regards
hardware requirements) compared to NT4.

Another point of concern for Microsoft is that Linux is
improving significantly on a monthly basis. Linux owns the
Internet service closet and is moving to the desktop at an
alarming rate.

Microsoft has everything to lose and little to gain from the
increased popularity and acceptance of Linux. Good cause for
fear.

> hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why are you laughing?

>x100 lines.

That makes it even more curious.

>gippy

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: neil tingley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: turning off the beeps
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:43:50 +0000

Hi

How to I supress all beeps when not using X (in X, a "xset -b" usually
works fine).

Using Bash shell, Suse 6.1.

Neil

Neil Tingley - Excite UK
Web Production Engineer
+44 171 447 1850 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Wine is cool, LINUX is HOT"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:28:21 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 06:02:54 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) writes:
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Some in testing environments (low budget variety)
>
>>You have a test machine with real data that you wish to keep
>>on? Brave...
>
>Don't forget the "low budget testing environment" Mindcraft had.... They
>dual-booted their Quad-Xeon box (which of course made for a lousy benchmark
>right there and then --- those hard disks are not really behaving the same
>over their whole capacity).

I'll admit, I'm curious as to how much of a difference that makes.

Does anyone have specs as to the difference in raw throughput
rate between Cylinder 0 and the last cylinder of, say,
an IBM DDRS-39130 (which is what I happen to have :-) ), or
any other disk?

If there is a significant difference (and I suspect that there is;
even assuming the same data density througout the entire platter --
and that would be hard to do without infinitely small sectors :-) ) --
more and longer seeks would be needed near the inside of the disk),
that might explain some of the performance difference.

(But NT was 2.7x faster.  I fail to see this being a *complete*
explanation by any means.  More likely it was the misconfiguration
of /etc/inetd.conf, would be my guess, choking the Linux box
with unused httpd daemons trying to figure things out....)

[.sigsnip]

----
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- next time Mindcraft, try using 2 identical disks :-)

------------------------------

From: tpage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Simple C programming/permission question
Date: 18 Jun 1999 19:30:50 GMT

I was writing a simple C program to make sure it worked on RH 6.0.  I
compiled it with:

$ gcc main.c

and this produced a.out like it is supposed to but when I tried to run
a.out I got a message stating, "command not found."  I checked the
permissions of both files and this is what they are set to:

main.c    -rw-rw-r--
a.out     -rwxrwxr-x

this appears right to me (a.out has execute permissions set) but a.out will
not execute.  Is there some system variable I have to set or do something
of that nature to have the shells (it does the same thing in bash, tcsh,
csh, ksh) understand a.out or is there something I have to install to
execute C programs?  From what I understand everything should be fine from
the beginning.  Thanks in advance...

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Never spam a hacker)
Subject: Linux Software Archive  + more
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:05:12 GMT

Hi

http://members.xoom.com/myvillage/linux

includes a new Linux Help Forum for beginners and advanced users. This
forum is still new, so start posting. But the main feature of this
site is its software archive for Linux. It will soon be having a
search engine but it currently neatly categorized.

Check out this site now.