Linux-Misc Digest #689, Volume #26                Tue, 2 Jan 01 14:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: StarOffice 5.2 & JRE 1.3 (aflinsch)
  Re: Linux Networking Port Monitoring ("Darren S Paxton")
  Re: samba password issue. ("Darren S Paxton")
  Re: RedHat 6.2 egcs problem (Bosco Tsang)
  Re: 2gig filesize limit :( (Mr. M.J. Lush)
  Re: Setting return address in pine (Eduardo Chappa)
  LILO version 21.6.1 released (John in SD)
  Re: Roaring Pengquin a showstopper in kernel 2.2.18 ("D. C. Sessions")
  Re: Reinstall Win98 ("Dan White")
  Re: 2gig filesize limit :( ("Dan White")
  Re: help getting started ("Dan White")
  Problem running JDK1.3 on Linux2.2.15 (sanjay magal)
  X-Windows configuartion problem ("William T. Trotter")
  Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI (Ralph Sokel)
  Re: unable to mount drive (Ellen Geertsema)
  Re: Samba won't start! (Bo Berglund)
  Re: Samba won't start! (Bo Berglund)
  A few newbie questions (ChrisB)
  Re: Hidden gnome taskbar. ("LoTekGuru")
  Re: 2gig filesize limit :( (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: samba password issue. (Bosco Tsang)
  Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this... (Eric Heglin)

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: StarOffice 5.2 & JRE 1.3
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:56:52 -0600

"J.W. Sargent" wrote:

> Good afternoon and Happy New Year. I recently installed StarOffice 5.2 that
> came on a Storm 2000 disk. After that I downloaded JRE 1.3 (tar ball) from
> Sun's site and following their instructions set it up in /usr/local. When I
> go to the Java bookmark in 5.2 as a user and point the Java set-up to
> /usr/local/jre1.3 I get a msg that there is no java runtime enviroment. I
> think this is so to some configuration issue that I'm not aware of. Any
> assistance that anyone may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

(cant respond to original followup, does not exist on this server,
hope you find it anyway)

check your ~/Office52/user/config/javarc file
edit out the offending version in the exclude line

------------------------------

From: "Darren S Paxton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems.cable,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Linux Networking Port Monitoring
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:13:52 -0000

freshmeat.net
news:92sqad$utv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Darren S Paxton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba password issue.
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:15:34 -0000

the SMB-Howto refers to either telling windows to use unencrypted passwords,
or telling samba to use encrypted passwords from a file (most likely, in
your case, /etc/smbpasswd )

I opted for the plain passwords option on my win98 box and it works fine

Darren

"Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bosco Tsang wrote:
> >
> > I have just setup samba on my Linux box (RedHat 6.2) on the lan. My
Windows

------------------------------

From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.2 egcs problem
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:11:12 GMT

How to fix it? ...as I've installed from fresh already? Do I need to rpm back
the kernel? which package I will need?

--
/+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr. M.J. Lush)
Subject: Re: 2gig filesize limit :(
Date: 2 Jan 2001 17:29:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Heiming  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  We are using VAlinux 6.2.1 and I have noticed that for some strange
>> reason, we cannot create files larger than 2gig (Several of our website
>> logs exceeds 2gig per month) and I was wondering if anyone could shed
>> any light on what configuration would control the file size limit?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>>  - Trevor
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com
>> http://www.deja.com/
>
>Hello,
>
>IMHO the 2 GB file size is max in linux 2.2.x. maybe the 2.4 series will
>change that?

        AFAIK 2GB is the limit but <http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html>
says that its to be a part of 2.4 (and some support is available in 2.2).

        Is there any way to create a virtual 2+GB file by merging two smaller
files?  (I work in genomics for some reason and a lot of my files seem to
be >2GB)

--

Michael              Ban DHMO Now!!   <http://www.dhmo.org/>
NPC rights activist  |  Nameless Abominations are people too.

------------------------------

From: Eduardo Chappa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting return address in pine
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:31:50 -0800

*** Mark J. Tilford ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote in comp.os.linux.misc...:

:) How do I set the value of the default return address (or Reply-To: ) in
:) pine?  Thanks to anyone who can help.

Press M S C and add to your customized-hdrs the following value:

customized-hdrs                  = Reply-To: "Name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You can also change the from header. In order to do this, you should add
the From: header to the list above. You can also add From: to your list of
default-composer-hdrs =. The difference between customized-hdrs and
default-composer-hdrs is that the latter are always visible when you
compose, but the first are only visible when you press ^R in your headers
section of the mail message.

  Depending on the version of pine you are using, if you decide to edit
your From: field, you may need to add manually in your .pinerc file
"allow-changing-from" under your "feature-list" configuration option.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO version 21.6.1 released
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:38:19 GMT

LILO release 21.6.1 is based upon Werner Almesberger's LILO version 21.

Version 21.6.1 is a maintenance release, fixing a few minor problems.

Version 21.6 is an upgrade for users of the Reiser File System, and adds
new diagnostic capabilities.  Internal changes allow booting kernels with
larger real-mode setup codes (2.4.0 and later).  This version is fully
backward compatible with version 21.5, which added the customizable boot
menu interface, and versions back to 21.2, which allowed booting beyond
the 1024 cylinder limit on disks >8Gb.

Source code is available for download from:

   ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo          (developer's site)

Or from the main distribution site:

   ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo    (please use)

See the distribution file 'CHANGES' for details of the differences between
21.6.1 and prior releases.

--John Coffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

LILO version 21.6 (04-Oct-2000) source at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
patches at ftp://brun.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: "D. C. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Roaring Pengquin a showstopper in kernel 2.2.18
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 08:08:43 -0700

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Can't comment on your scsi, try to build it in the kernel, I have / on scsi,
> module is
> not an option for me.

Of course it is.  That's what initrd is for.

--
|   Engineers solve problems -- it's what we do.  |
|            Do you want to be a problem?         |

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reinstall Win98
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:56:55 GMT

In article <92t0hd$ki0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric Ho"

> I have a dual boot machine (Win98/Linux), but recently something is
> wrong with Win98, so I want to re-install it. After I re-install it, do
> I have to use floppy to boot my Linux  and re-run LILO ?
>
> The reason I ask is because my floppy drive is not working properly :(
> So, if I need to use my floppy to boot Linux, then I have to buy
> another floppy drive first before I do anything stupid :)
>
> Best Regards, Eric Ho

Depending on your distribution CD, you should be able to boot from it and
jump over to a console (type 'rescue' from redhat, or try alt-f2 or
alt-f3).

Mount your linux partition on /mnt (for instance), and mount your /boot
partition on /mnt/boot (if it is in it's own partition). Then run lilo -r
/mnt.

Something you might consider, if you think you'll need to reinstall win98
in the future again is to install lilo into the boot record of your root
partition by changing the boot= to /dev/hda? (partition number). Then
install the DOS boot loader into the MBR (fdisk /mbr from DOS mode), and
set the active partition to the linux partition.

The advatange of this, is that if you reinstall Windows in the future,
all you need to do to get Linux back is to do fdisk /mbr and set the
active partition again.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:01:11 GMT

In article <92sno6$sku$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  We are using VAlinux 6.2.1 and I have noticed that for some strange
> reason, we cannot create files larger than 2gig (Several of our website
> logs exceeds 2gig per month) and I was wondering if anyone could shed
> any light on what configuration would control the file size limit?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>  - Trevor

Give VA tech support a call. Even if you're not a customer, they may
point you in the right direction.

I know in the past, they included a beta 2.2.x kernel on their ftp site
which includes large file support. However, you'll also
need to recompile glibc or install glibc which has been compiled for
large file support.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help getting started
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:02:44 GMT

In article <3a51de33$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "saint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi. I am a Windows user and would like to get into that whole linux
> thing...... Now what I need is a dumbass-foolproof guide how to install
> linux (i.e. which distribution, where/what to download, how to install).
> I'd be glad if u could help me out or "redirect" me to a site with auch
> a dumbass-guide.
>
> -StoffMan

http://www.linux.com/firststep/
http://www.linuxdoc.org

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: sanjay magal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Problem running JDK1.3 on Linux2.2.15
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:56:47 -0700

Hello,
I downloaded JDK 1.3 for Linux from www.javasoft.com and followed
their instructions for installing Java on a linux machine.
Following is the output from %uname -a
on this machine"

Linux ndd 2.2.15 #1 Thu Jun 1 10:47:16 EST 2000 i686 unknown

I also set the environment variable for JAVA_HOME, in this case

JAVA_HOME=$HOME/jdk1.3
export JAVA_HOME

and PATH="$HOME/jdk1.3/bin:$PATH"

so that when i do %which java or %which javac, i get back

/home/magal/jdk1.3/bin/java
/home/magal/jdk1.3/bin/javac  etc.

However, when i actually try to compile some Java code or
run a Java class, i run into problems. Looks like the Java Virtual machine
doesn't get initialised or something, for example i get the following:

%javac MonitorServer.java
/home/magal/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/javac: error in loading shared
libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No
such
file or directory

I compiled the code on another machine and got the .class file, then

%java MonitorServer
/home/magal/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error in loading shared
libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No
such
file or directory

I cannot figure out what's going on. Am i missing something obvious or
is there something specific that needs to be configured.
Has anybody run into this problem before? Any comments,
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanjay Magal

From: "William T. Trotter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-Windows configuartion problem
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:14:26 -0700

None of the FAQ's quite seem to address
my specific problem  ... although this must
be simple.

Running RedHat 7.0 on a Dell with a
Riva graphics card on the motherboard.
However, I added a ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP
1x/2x with 8 MB video ram.
Monitor is ViewSonic VP151 flat screen.
When I run Xconfigurator, it correctly detects
the ATI card, the ViewSonic monitor and
the video ram.  But it reports an error
when attempting to start the server.

Tried using console tool xf86config also,
but with no luck.

Could this be a problem with screens?
Can I solve it by hand editing the file
produced by Xconfigurator?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Tom Trotter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s.  Sent from my Win 2000 box.  Proof of how
anxious I am to get my Linux box running too.

------------------------------

From: Ralph Sokel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:02:32 -0600

I have unfortunately arrived at the same place as you, although via a different
route. After applying a number of Redhat package updates I cannot reboot into
runlevel 5. In my case I checked the log file in /var/gdm and it appears that
gdm is unable to connect to the X server, an authorization problem. My next step
is to see if there may be an Xauthority file associated with gdm that needs to
be recreated.

--
Ralph Sokel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ellen Geertsema)
Subject: Re: unable to mount drive
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:26:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 01:16:07 +0000, Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I recently seem to be having problems accessing my floppy drive.
>Enclosed is the results of an attempt.  Any suggestions as to what the
>problem is are welcome!
>
>[sean@mrbenn sean]$ cat /etc/fstab
>/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     vfat
>sync,nosuid,noauto,user,nodev,unhide0 0

This, of course, needs to be on a single line, and there has to be at
least a space or tab after "unhide".

>[sean@mrbenn sean]$ mount /mnt/floppy
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
>       or too many mounted file systems

Is the floppy formatted correctly?  Does /mnt/floppy exist, and do you
have proper access rights to both /mnt and /mnt/floppy ?  How about
/dev/fd0 ?  Is vfat support compiled into the kernel, or loaded as a
module?

Comment out the corresponding line in /etc/fstab, and then try
mounting your floppy with as few options as possible.  If that
works, add options until it stops working...

As in: mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt

Ellen
--

Ellen Geertsema               "All my life I wanted to be someone;
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            I guess I should have been more specific."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Samba won't start!
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:28:30 GMT

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:58:40 +0100, "Roy Batty"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What Linux distribution are you using?
>Are there more error messages in the log file, or
>is the unknown-hosts one the last?
>You may also want to post the [global]-section of your
>smb.conf file (it is probably located in /etc) to help
>diagnosing the problem.
>- Roy

If you can make anything out of that I would be really grateful!
Here is the smb.conf file after SWAT removed all comments from the
original file....:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.30 (192.168.0.30)
# Date: 2001/01/02 11:59:02

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = AGIUSA
        netbios name = LINUXPC
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        remote announce = 192.168.0.255
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.0. 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        print ok = Yes
        browseable = No

[root]
        comment = LinuxPC root
        path = /
        valid users = root bosse
        read only = No
        create mask = 0765

My problem is that the root share does not even exist when I try my
Map Drive command in Windows explorer. So I don't reach the login. But
that is of course understandable since the deamon is not even started
and fails when I try to start it.
I have now followed other advice and added a bogus domain just to make
a try at defining the hostname which samba keeps complaining about.
Doesn't work though....

Bo Berglund

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:29:54 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What Linux distribution are you using?
>Are there more error messages in the log file, or
>is the unknown-hosts one the last?
>You may also want to post the [global]-section of your
>smb.conf file (it is probably located in /etc) to help
>diagnosing the problem.
>- Roy

Oh, I forgot to mention the distro:
RedHat 6.2 installed as workstation using KDE and expressly checking
Samba on the setup screens.

Bo Berglund

From: ChrisB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: A few newbie questions
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:17:06 GMT

I installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 over the weekend on my laptop and have a
few questions that I'm hoping the more experienced out there can help
me with:

1. I used Partition Magic to set up my partitions, and am using
BootMagic for dual booting with Win98. I followed the instructions very
carefully, making sure that I did not install LILO into the Master Boot
Record. However, when I boot up and select Linux, another screen comes
up where I have to choose between dos and linux. Is this normal? If I
have to go through LILO anyway, what's the advantage to using
BootMagic?

2. Given the relatively limited hard drive space on my laptop, I didn't
want to make the Linux partition too large (I'm really just using it to
become more comfortable with Unix commands and emacs since I need to
use these at work). I set it up with 1004 MB for the Linux native
partition and 133 MB for the swap partition. But there's now about 280
MB free, and to be honest, I don't expect to fill that up anytime soon.
Is there any way to resize the Linux partition (extended primary
partition containing 2 logical partitions)?

3. I read through the Getting Started manual and found the information
on mounting my Windows partition so that I can access it in Linux. Will
this allow me to copy files from Linux to Windows? I assume that I
don't need free space equal to the size of the Win partition - it's
just mounting it as another volume, like a CD-ROM or floppy, correct?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "LoTekGuru" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Hidden gnome taskbar.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:32:26 GMT

so I suppose that there would not be an option to turn *off* hiding the
panel under apps in the hiding policies right?

don't call someone an idiot until you actually look at what someone is
suggesting, lest you look like the idiot yourself.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:46:24 +0100

Read http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html
--
Markus Kossmann

From: Bosco Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:44:56 GMT

Do I need to use /etc/smbpasswd? I haven't set this up ...I expect it to use
/etc/passwd to get the password (use /etc/smbusers to convert the username).
Doesn't this working?

Btw, when I try to connect, WinME (or Win98 ...have tried it on 2 machines)
report share as /ipc$ and just ask me for the password. I recall in WinNT, it
will ask connect as and password, where connect as is the username. Wonder if
it is possible to set so that it will ask for connect as and the password,
instead of just the password?

From: Eric Heglin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this...
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:59:16 GMT

===============_4D4800A186C808666AA0

I'm having trouble posting to newsgroups with the
StarOffice 5.2 newsreader module. So, did it
work this time?

                                 Eric
===============_4D4800A186C808666AA0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8=
859-1">
        <TITLE>Just testing the Staroffice Newsreader, so ignore this...</TITLE=

        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.2 (Linux)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"20010102;10564900">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"Eric Heglin">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"20010102;10585900">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE><FONT SIZE=3D3><FONT FACE=3D"Arial, sans-serif">I'm having trouble =
posting to newsgroups with the</FONT></FONT>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial, sans-serif"><FONT SIZE=3D3>StarOffice 5.2 newsreade=
r module. So, did it</FONT></FONT>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial, sans-serif"><FONT SIZE=3D3>work this time?</FONT></=
FONT>

<FONT FACE=3D"Arial, sans-serif"><FONT SIZE=3D3>                        =
         Eric</FONT></FONT></PRE>
</BODY>
</HTML>
===============_4D4800A186C808666AA0==