From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Subject: Re: Has anyone got ip masquerade working on SuSE 6.1?
Date: 19 Jun 1999 11:22:35 GMT

root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

< excellent post snipped >

I managed to get masquerading working just before going to bed last
night. I have to admit that I can't attribute all my problems to
SuSE, but I can wish that the documentation were better. I guess
I would buy another distribution by SuSE.

Here is my summary of getting masquerade up under SuSE:

Read the IP Masquerade HOWTO by Ambrose Au. Then:

Use ipchains instead of ipfwadm
        ipfwadm -F -p deny becomes:
        ipchains -P forward DENY
        ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.1/8 -D 0.0.0.0/0 becomes:
        ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 10.0.0.1/8 -d 0.0.0.0/0

Kernel config options for ip masquerade
        CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL,CONFIG_MODULES,CONFIG_NET,CONFIG_FIREWALL,
        CONFIG_INET,CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL,CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE
        CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG,CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP,
        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD,CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW,
        CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW,CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW

Enable IP_FORWARD in /etc/rc.config

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Date: 19 Jun 1999 11:27:20 GMT

Thomas Glanzmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Read the Ip Masquerading Mini HOWTO or read the SUSE handbook

>This information is provided as-is, without any guaranty of correctness.

So true. Your advice is generally sound, however if you check the index
of the SuSE handbook you will see there is *no* reference to masquerading.
Similarly the online help from SuSE is outdated, as is my copy of
the IP MASQUERADE HOWTO.

------------------------------

From: Chris Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HELP ! verrry slloooww reading DAT tape
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 11:29:17 GMT

Hi,

I have received a number of DDS-2 tapes that I have to read. They are
written on an AIX system. The format is 1024 bytes per block.

I have used the "mt" command and set "defblk" to be 1024. Now when I
"tar -xvf /dev/st0", the tapes read at about 5Mb/hr :(. Life is too
short for this.

I am sure that I have missed something fundamental. When the tape reads
it says blocks = 2. I have tried the -b command to read more blocks at a
time but it makes no difference.

Can anyone send me some suggestions as to what I can do to speed this up
a little.

My system: Dual Intel Pentium 133 / 64Mb / 2 x 4Gb Quantum on an AHA2940
/ Sony SDT-5000.

Kind Regards

Chris Wilson

[So long as the voices in my head tell me
 to "just act normal", everything seems to be OK]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Date: 19 Jun 1999 11:35:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder) writes:

>Doubtful.

But true, read the susehelp section on masquerading.

>This topic has been discussed for months now. Besides that,
>it is obligatory to take a look into /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
>when using a brand new kernel release.

I guess it is obligatory if it isn't in the 440 page manual.

>How should we know what you needed to enable ??

In context it should be clear that I was referring to what options
must be enabled for masquerading. The susehelp is wrong.

It should be clear that your experience comes from upgrading
an older SuSE distribution, as opposed to a fresh install.

>"echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" into the setup scripts.

Now let me help you out with this point:

if you enable IP_FORWARDING in your /etc/rc.config file you
don't have to add that line to your setup script.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Subject: Re: Help: Unresolved symbols error with ipv4 modules???
Date: 19 Jun 1999 11:41:23 GMT

Ken Kwasnicki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello,

>I've just installed SuSE 6.1 which I'm trying to configure as a firewall
>box. I did a minimal installation from CD. After I've compiled the
>kernel including all the firewall and masquerading stuff, and made and
>installed the modules I get the following errors when I run depmod -a...

>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.2.6/ipv4/ip_masq_autofw.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.2.6/ipv4/ip_masq_portfw.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.6/ipv4/ip_masq_mfw.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.6/ipv6/ipv6.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/ip_masq_autofw.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/ip_masq_mfw.o
>depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>/lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/ip_masq_portfw.o

>What's up? Does this mean I've not installed some libraries required by
>these modules?
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Ken.

My 6.1 version is a little different and uses 2.2.7 mods. If you go
to the web site suse.com you can find a discussion of the missing
modules, and you can download a 5.9Mb package kernmod.rpm which
contains the missing modules.

Be sure to enable IP_FORWARDING in your /etc/rc.config file. There is
a mediaone site that will help you in converting your old ipfwadm
instructions to the newer ipchains form.

Is this fun?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vu N Dang)
Subject: [help] Could not execute Perl script
Date: 19 Jun 1999 11:55:32 GMT

Hi all,

I am using RH6.0's web server. Whenever I access my perl script
through the web, I get an error in the the logfile:

[Sat Jun 19 07:31:24 1999] [error] [client 215.173.45.31] (2)No such
file or directory: exec of /home/httpd/cgi-bin/setup.cgi failed
[Sat Jun 19 07:31:24 1999] [error] [client 215.173.45.31] Premature
end of script deaders: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/setup.cgi

I already change the permission of all the .cgi to 755

Could anyone tell me what I have to do to fix the problem please.

Notice: if the setup.cgi is the output of the compiling a .c file
then it is just okey. It failed if setup.cgi is a perl script only.

Thank you very much in advance
VD.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:16:27 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:37:48 +0100, "mike ryder"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jeff Shern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Yeah, I remember double-DOS.  Anyone here ever been subjected to Pick?
>
>Yeah, I'm into Pick - a really clever O/S with its own database - minimal
>hardware with lots of users.

I have a vague recollection of LIST <dbname> WITH x = "y"
AND y = "z" <fieldnames>

Is that it?

>And now - you should see it zip running on Linux !

It runs on Linux?

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard C. Ferryman)
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:01:00 GMT
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Deryk Barker) wrote:

>Anyone recommend a card with decent sounding *input* facilities too?

The problem as I see it is that the good sound cards (I use event Gina
and Darla which are superp for audio recording and multi-track play
back) but few of the quality cards list any *nix drivers.
Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: OK, Whats wrong with this kernel configuration???
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:22:49 GMT

hi Jeld

        i tried this,  i got a little more disk activity but the system didnt
come up.
thanks

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:22:50 GMT

hello Colin

        ok i did change the items you said should be * compiled not as
modules, and i got more disk activity than before, but the system
still didnt come up,  i must be getting close to a working kernel.

thanks

------------------------------

From: "John Rappold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: How do I create a custom (Menuing) Shell?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:27:41 -0400

Our VMS system allows lets certain groups of users telnet into a custom
shell that has a menuing system....they can cursor to items to start an app
or press a number.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to setup something like
this in Linux? I'm a newbie.

Thanks,
John

The views and/or opinions expressed in this
article are not necessarily those of the
South Central Ohio Computer Association.

Direct comments to:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Subject: YASQ: yet another SUSE question: rsh commands broken
Date: 19 Jun 1999 13:04:10 GMT

I know about the change to /etc/inetd.conf changing -L to
-h on the rshd invocation. I know about the file /etc/hosts.equiv
and .rhosts. I can rsh login as root, but I still can't execute
remote commands:
rsh otherhost ls
returns permission denied.

Once again the susehelp and the book come up short. Now what am
I missing?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Date: 19 Jun 1999 13:07:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley) writes:

>I know about the change to /etc/inetd.conf changing -L to
>-h on the rshd invocation. I know about the file /etc/hosts.equiv
>and .rhosts. I can rsh login as root, but I still can't execute
>remote commands:
>rsh otherhost ls
>returns permission denied.

>Once again the susehelp and the book come up short. Now what am
>I missing?

I forgot to add that I know about the CONSOLE line in /etc/rc.config.
I have tried to defeat all suppression of root access on my home LAN,
but still the rsh commands are denied.

From: Gene Wilburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does glint still run on RedHat 6.0?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:08:55 GMT

My experience, on Intel, is exactly the same.

A shame really. While the newer gnorpm is pleasant looking, it doesn't
provide provide packages by category the way glint did. I miss that.

Gene

Gene Wilburn, Northern Journey Online, http://www.interlog.com/~njo