From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need to Reinstall Windows 98
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:57:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: > I installed Red Hat Linux 7 & accidently deleted the Windows 98
partition  > when I really wanted to have both operating systems on my Dell
Dimension  > 4100.  Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 98 at all.  Does anyone
know if  > there is any way that I can reinstall Windows 98 on my system?
Thanks very  > much for any help.  >  > -- > Posted via CNET Help.com >
http://www.help.com/ > use fdisk to see whether you are able to see the
deleted partition(Windows 98) if not then enable.and please send more info.
as to how you are going about reinstalling windows.Rupesh

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:26:57 GMT

Bob Holtzman wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 21:49:48 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ralph Sokel wrote:
> >>
> >> I have unfortunately arrived at the same place as you, although via a different
> >> route. After applying a number of Redhat package updates I cannot reboot into
> >> runlevel 5. In my case I checked the log file in /var/gdm and it appears that
> >> gdm is unable to connect to the X server, an authorization problem. My next step
> >> is to see if there may be an Xauthority file associated with gdm that needs to
> >> be recreated.
> >>

> >Check the permissions on /tmp/.font-unix  is set to 1777 then restart
> >the font server:
> >
> >/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
> >
> >Then try "startx"
> >
> Since the poster who you answered had the same problem as I did, I decided to
> try your fix. _That'll teach me!_ Now startx won't work when I'm logged in as
> user but continues to work for root. A giant step back.
>
> Permissions on /tmp/.font-unix are 1777. Anything else I can try (I don't mean
> that facetiously)?

I had the exact same problem the other day and this was the fix I found
in a NG and it worked the first try. Sorry! What distro are you using so
I will know to say it doesn't work on this distro. Again Sorry!

The .font-unix on my system is 1777
.font-unix  owned by   xfs.xfs

the fs-1 file inside .font-unix is set  777
fs-1  owned by   xfs.xfs

The .X11-unix is set to 1777
.X11-unix  owned by root.root

The X0 file inside .X11-unix is set 777
X0  owned by  root.gdm

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.975% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Mark D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Roaring Pengquin a showstopper in kernel 2.2.18
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 05:31:18 +0800

The first one is quite easy. When you configure your new kernel, there is a
loadable module support section. In there you must select kernel module
loader.

Then the kernel will load the module for you automatically instead of you
having to use insmod.

No clue on other problem.

Mark

news:IE746.5341$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:35:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed Red Hat Linux 7 & accidently deleted the Windows 98 partition
> when I really wanted to have both operating systems on my Dell Dimension
> 4100.  Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 98 at all.  Does anyone know if
> there is any way that I can reinstall Windows 98 on my system?  Thanks very
> much for any help.

You may have to do a complete re-install of both systems.

To un-install linux from a running system do the following.

     boot into linux.
     login as root
     /sbin/lilo -u
     fdisk /dev/hda    # or sda depending on your hard drive.
     delete all linux partitions
     quit and save changes
     reboot with a DOS/windoz boot disk.
     enter:  fdisk /MBR

Make a 2 partitions.
Then delete the second one to free that drive space for linux to install
into.

Install windoz  Note windoz won't see the free disk space.

Install linux using "Custom" install or it may use the whole drive and
overwrite windoz.

When you get to the partitioning of the linux install section DO NOT
mess with the size of the windoz partition.

Best of luck

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: How to change screen size in RH6.2 (KDE)??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:31:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have my screen set to 800x600 from the initial RH installation but > many
applications display windows which do not fit on this screen. > Often the
buttons are inaccessible outside the screen limits even! >  > So I need to
change the size of the screen, but I cannot find where. > If I rightclick the
background and select 'Display properties' a > multi-tabbed dialog pops up.
It contains much the same window stuff as > in Win95 except there is no sign
of a resolution setting page! >  > So I am just curious if this setting is a
one-shot during system > installation or if it can be changed later? If it
can be changed, do I > have to install some special program for this? >  >
And another thing: > Is there some setting somewhere that can make the
programs use only > the existing size of the screen instead of displaying
windows and > buttons outside the actual screen limits? >  > Bo Berglund >
[EMAIL PROTECTED] > try CTRL + ALT + [Plus sign / minus sign] on the
numeric keypad.hope this helps.Rupesh

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Setting return address in pine
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:41:44 GMT

"Christopher W. Aiken" wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2000 01:36:53 GMT, Mark J. Tilford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ->How do I set the value of the default return address (or Reply-To: ) in
> ->pine?  Thanks to anyone who can help.
>
> Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
> chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com
> Current O/S: SuSE 7.0 Professional Linux

>From the pine main menu go to Setup, then chose configure. Read what it
says to do.

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: sendmail saying "My unqualified hostname (localhost) unknown;
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:47:09 GMT

"Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:

> The subject describes the scenario. I've left the sendmail.cf file alone
> since the system was installed, but would like to fix the configuration
> to eliminate the above situation. It causes the mailer to freeze for
> about 30-60 seconds while sendmail "sleep[s] for retry". How do I fix
> this problem?
>
> --
> /**
>  *  @author   Darryl L. Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  *  @homepage <http://welcome.to/mcpierce>
>  *  @quote    "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"
>  */

Look in your /etc/HOSTNAME file and see if you have a hostname there. If
there's no hostname write one (something.com something.net, whatever you
choose). If you've changed your hostname since you install try and
change it back to the oringinal hostname.

jamess

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trouble installing macromedia shockwave player
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:50:06 GMT

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> It keeps saying that it does not detect it, but it lists it when I
> type about:plugins in the location bar.  I followed a test link that
> said "if you see the animation below, your installation was successful".
> I see the animation, but nonetheless when I load it I get the error
> message that I do not have the plugin.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?

click on
Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Applications

Check to see if these 2 lines are located somewhere in the list.

application/futuresplash        Plug In: Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash   Plug In: Shockwave Flash

If not then you need to add them.
The "application/futuresplash" and "application/x-shockwave-flash"  you
would enter in the MIMEType section. Only one per. Don't add both to one
edit box.

Then click on the "Plug In button and Add "Shockwave Flash" in the box.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.setup
Subject: Re: Only change login password via linuxconf --http
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:52:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would like to allow the POP3 users of my Linux system to change their
> password without telneting in.  Linuxconf can use TCP port 98  to allow
> this, but enabling this service also gives access to other linuxconf
> capabilities such as configuration with just a root password (security
> exposure).
>
> Is there a way to ENable linuxconf's ability to change a user password
> via port 98 but DISable all its other capabilities via port 98?
>
>   Alan Baker
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Try webmin it works better.

jamess

From: Kousik Nandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple e-mail "identities" under a single Linux user account?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:25:40 +0530

 > when I reply to a message, I want the reply message to as
 > my return e-mail address the same address to which the
 > original message was addressed, and then also use the outgoing
 > mail server associated with that e-mail address. Does
 > anyone know how to do this?

Don't know if Balsa can do this; but surely `Pine Roles' are
what you're looking for! If you don't mind text based tools, try
pine http://www.washington.edu/pine/ and its roles support. And
in GUI front mozilla http://www.mozilla.org/ supports multiple
mailboxes.

HTH
Kousik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: StarOffice 5.2 & JRE 1.3
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:55:45 GMT

aflinsch wrote:

> "J.W. Sargent" wrote:
> >
> > Good afternoon and Happy New Year. I recently installed StarOffice 5.2 that
> > came on a Storm 2000 disk. After that I downloaded JRE 1.3 (tar ball) from
> > Sun's site and following their instructions set it up in /usr/local. When I
> > go to the Java bookmark in 5.2 as a user and point the Java set-up to
> > /usr/local/jre1.3 I get a msg that there is no java runtime enviroment. I
> > think this is so to some configuration issue that I'm not aware of. Any
> > assistance that anyone may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> (cant respond to original followup, does not exist on this server,
> hope you find it anyway)
>
> check your ~/Office52/user/config/javarc file
> edit out the offending version in the exclude line

You have to use a different version of java. I don't think that the jre
will work. go to www.sun.com and log onto their Star Office newsgroups.
You'll find your answer there.

jamess

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: StarOffice on RH 7.0
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:58:02 GMT

Glitch wrote:

> "Sudhakar R." wrote:
> >
> > I have been trying to install StarOffice 5.2 on my RH 7.0 box. When i run
> > the .bin file(downloaded from sun.com), the setup program starts up fine.
> >
> > I want to use the Network installation option 'coz I want it to be used on
> > my standalone system by multiple users. But the setup program does not
> > give me this option anywhere.
> >
> > Can someone please help.
> > Thanx in anticipation
> > Sudhakar
>
> you specify that option when you issue the initial command to install
> the program i believe, using the /net switch but i could be wrong

Try this: setup -net or it might be setup /net, but it's in the
documentation that comes with Star Office.

jamess

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: HELP: Samba won't start!
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:07:27 GMT

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I don't get this - no matter what I do samba won't start. I can use
> SWAT no problem but as soon as I want to start samba it fails. No
> matter if I do it on the command line or through SWAT it simply will
> not start. And the only thing I can see in the logfile is:
>
> [2001/01/02 12:03:52, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(216)
>   file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
> available.
> [2001/01/02 12:03:52, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(821)
>   Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host linuxpc
>
> So it complains about the host being unknown???
> Where can I make my linux machine hostname 'linuxpc' known to samba?
>
> I have use SWAT to set the netbios name to 'LINUXPC'.
> I have entered 192.168.0.1 linuxpc into the HOSTS file
> I have restarted networking
> I have tried to restart samba a zillion times
>
> Nothing works! I must have done something basically wrong, but what???
>
> Bo Berglund
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is 'linuxpc' the hostname in the /etc/HOSTNAME file?

jamess

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Confusion over what is needed for 3dfx Voodoo 3 & X-4.0.2
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:09:19 GMT

Everything you need should be incuded in the
source files.  I am not sure why you want to build
from source when the binaries work just fine, at
least on my Athlon.  Since you are using a fairly
recent Redhat, the i386 binaries will work great.
And, just to be sure there is a utility to tell
you if they will.

I am using the VooDoo 3 3000)
Unless I am totaly waco, the 3000 and the 2000
both use the same driver, so the appropriate line
in your XF86Conig should look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "3dfx"
    Driver      "tdfx"
        # unsupported card
    #VideoRam    16384
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
#    Option       "SWcursor"
#    Option       "NoAccel"
EndSection

(the Ram is set automatically, so does not have to
be specified in the file, hence it is commented
out.)

This should be all you need.  X 4 does not use
servers for each type of graphics card, so don't
hunt for the 3dfx one.

Don't hunt around for anything on the
linux.3dfx.com site.  This will cause headaches
and confusion, and you will not find anything
current.

Go to http://www.xfree.org and follow all
instructions.  BTW XFree 4.0.2 is great.  Runs
smoothly, loads fast, even seems to use less
memory than 4.0.1  enjoy.

> Hi.  I'm afraid that this question is a RTFM,
but after doing so I'm
> still feeling lost in the dark.

Not at all, 'cause there ain't too much of a
manual at this stage of the game.

> I'm running linux 2.2.17 with glibc-2.1.3 on a
Pentium-II, with a 3dfx
> Voodoo 3-2000 agp card.  I'd like to build and
install X 4.0.2 from
> source.  What drivers or other files do I need
to accomodate my
> graphics card?  I'm not a hard-core linux gamer,
so I don't think I
> need DRI.  (Am I mislead to have assumed this?)
I see all sorts of
> drivers at http://linux.3dfx.com but I can't
figure out which ones I
> need.  Any guidance would be tremendously
appreciated.

> --Geoff

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:35:44 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:31:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> try CTRL + ALT + [Plus sign / minus sign] on the
>numeric keypad.hope this helps.Rupesh

Nothing happens when I do this....

Bo Berglund

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: suid root not working on RH7 2.2.16-22 ?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:33:30 GMT

[Please note FollowUp-To: header]

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>For example, in order to do backups, I run a client on the archiving
>machine. It asks the servers (on the account machines) for the files of
>each user in turn. In order to keep secrecy, the files travel across
>over an ssh conduit. To avoid root login, an ordinary account
>("backup") runs the conduit and does the authentication. But now
>we have the problem: "backup" must have access permissions to every
>file on the account machines. The solution is a suid root application
>to which only the user "backup" has access rights. It's a script.

OK. I see your point (though I'd do it differently, but that's
probably a question of personal taste).

[...]

>Their market is the same market as MS. They have to pose as being "more
>secure" because their market is what it is. Experienced admins can make
>a box secure without "help" from redhat. Or not. But they're not likely
>to make more mistakes than redhat.

Well, experienced admins should know that a box is only as secure
as you make it - yourself. I'd never trust a system as delivered by
any manufacturer , but then, I'm used to being called paranoid.

Michael

(F'Up-To set to poster, as this has no relevance to the group anymore)

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu