From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (lloyd)
Subject: Survey  (DON'T READ IF NOT INTERESTED)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:13:48 GMT

I don't wish to upset anyone but a part of a small business course I
am undertaking requires me to do a small market survey as such this
only for academic use but honest responses would be great, I only need
around 50 responses.

Could you email me privately with your responses as it would be better
than cluttering the newsgroup?

My e-mail address is spamme@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (remove the
spamme@)

I have four questions..

Q1.     Would you use a CD-Rom database listing all messages in this
newsgroup filtered through so it contains only relevant information
rather than clutter?
A1a     Yes
A1b     No
A1c     Maybe

Q2.     Would you use a CD-Rom library containing such database and
also having possibly multiple CD-Roms of web related information,
pictures, documents. FAQ Sheets, etc.
A2a     Yes
A2b     No
A2c     Maybe

Q3.     Would it help you if you had access to such a library?
A3a     Yes
A3b     No
A3c     Maybe

Q4. What would you consider a fair payment for such a library?
A4a     $25 - $49
A4b     $50 -  $74
A4c     $75 - $99
A4d     $100 - $149
A4e     $150 - $199
A4f     more than $200

A quick way to respond would be to cut your answer from this message
end paste it into your email message.

Thankyou In Advance for any responses.

****   Again please reply privately via email   ****

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Best dual cpu board for Linux recommandation needed. Thx.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:34:07 -0700

Hi,
     I am building a server, want some recommendations on dual cpu
board,
scsi adapter and cd-rw. Stability and speed are the #1 concerns, no
over-clocking.

Thanks.

Alex Lam.

------------------------------

From: David Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Login
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:36:14 -0700

Louis Dupree wrote, at some point:

> How do I install a new user on Red Hat 5.2. The ROOT longin works great, but
> when I go to X Window I do not get the icons that my 5.1 manual shows. It
> shows how to make a new user. If had a 5.2 manual might help!!

at a prompt, type adduser <username>.  then, passwd <username> to set a
password.

David Greer
Ordained Priest of the Church of Linuxology

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux viruses
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:55:41 -0700

How many times has this question got to be asked in a week?  I though we
had already had the recomended daily allowance of "Linux Viri"
questions.  Has this question made it to #1 in the FAQ yet?

------------------------------

From: Eric George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xdiff / graphical merge utility?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:02:46 -0500

Hi,
On SGI's the is a nice utility called xdiff.  It brings up to text files
in side by side windows and highlights the differences between the
files.  You can the scroll through and choose which version of each
difference you want to keep and save the result.  Very handy for looking
at different versions of source files and such!

I've looked at several sites and haven't found anything like this.  Does
it exist for Linux?  If so, where??
Thanks
Eric

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xdiff / graphical merge utility?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:20:46 GMT

        http://www.ede.com/free/tkdiff/index.html

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Help for MODEM
Date: 20 Jun 1999 19:23:26 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>All the PCI modems I've ever looked at are actually 'Win Modems'.  As
>far as know there is still no support for any of these modems under
>linux.  Bummer, it'd be nice if they'd make a PCI modem that was non
>'win modem'.

Multitech does make a non-winmodem PCI modem.

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Debian advocates
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:48:34 GMT

Am 19.06.1999, 21:29:41, schrieb Benoit Goudreault-Emond:

> > (3) When is the next stable release of Debian going to
> >     be released ?

> Dunno.  Can't wait.  But it's not even frozen yet.=20
> I have several packages from 2.2, though (glibc2.1 and
> the latest egcs, off the top of my head), and there
> weren't any big problems except with StarOffice (and
> that's because 5.0 won't run on glibc2.1 because they
> do some rather stupid things with respect to use of
> the library)

Well, there have been quite /enough/ discussions about the questions=20=

whether these 'rather stupid things' really were 'stupid' and i do not=20=

plan to start a new one right now. ;-) But i would like to mention=20
another fact that might help in here:

   StarOffice 5.1 is available !

Just in case you didn't here of it: this is a very fine release that=20=

we are really proud of! :-)

Much time has been spent to make it *stable* and of course it also=20
will run very fine on Slink and (as i deeply hope) an POTATO.

Those of you who are interested in a useful product that has actually=20=

been tested by a cadre of testers are encouraged go to the download=20
section (http://www.stardivision.com/office/so5linux_body.html) to get=20=

StarOffice 5.1 as soon as possible.  Up to now the following languages=20=

are available: dutch, english, french, german, italian, spanish,=20
others are to follow soon.
(in order to minimize downloading costs you should use an ftp client=20=

with the 'resume' option and get the 70 MB tarball in little slices=20
whenever you are online anyways)

Greetings,

Karl-Heinz
--=20
(posting _privately_)

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problems with Slackware 4.0 Install
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:59:03 -0400

I've just installed Slackware 4.0 on my machine.  After fighting through
a couple of problems, I have one at the moment that has me stumped.
When I run the date command, it gives the correct date and time but also
issues a messages telling me to run zic to set the local time zone.  I
run zic, but nothing changes.  I tried reading the man page, and tried
using the -l option as well as sym-linking /usr/local/zoneinfo to
/usr/share/zoneinfo since the zoneinfo database seems to be under
/usr/share and the man page indicates that zic looks for it under
/usr/local.  Nothing has worked.

A more major problem is that when I boot, the last 2 extended partitions
take a minute or so to get mounted.  Also, I started to notice a strange
noise from one of my hard disks on bootup.  I ran Norton Disk Doctor
under Win95 and it indicated that their are errors in my extended
partition table.  This does not seem to affect anything (the system
still seems to work), but I am in the process of backing up the logical
partitions, so I can delete and rebuild the extended partition.  If
anyone has a better idea or any experience with at similar issue, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

------------------------------

From: David Frye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:31:23 GMT

My number 1 and 2 reasons for *not* using Debian

1.  deselect - sucks big time, outdated, takes forever to run through and
install anything with it. Granted, apt is now available, but you still must use
deselect when you install Debian.

2. updates - security updates from Debian only support the current release. If
you are running on 2.0 and it is working fine for you, why must you update to
2.1 just to get a simple security update (i.e. wu-ftpd). Security updates seem
to be compiled with the most current versions of system libriaries that the
developer maintaining that package has on his system, and there is little, if
any, support for previous released versions of Debian.

Granted, I could use apt - get update etc. etc., but on a 33.6 modem, It could
take forever and a day to get all the libraries that I would need just to
update one package due to a security problem.

Having said that, I firmly beleive in Debian's Free Software Guidelines, and
what they are trying to accomplish. But, until they offer support for previous
versions or take into account that not everyone has the resources to update
their system to the most current release via  dial-up, I will not use their
product again.

I did use Debian 2.0 for a long time, but it got impossible to update it with
security updates without upgrading the entire system to the most current
release. Therefore, I switched to another distribution that does not require
you to be running the most current release to get security updates. If it
works, why should I constantly update to the newest release?