Linux-Misc Digest #708, Volume #23               Tue, 29 Feb 00 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Max logical drives supported (Achuthan)
  Gnome Problems (Roddy)
  Re: Non-X GUI? (Harri Haataja)
  Re: OpenSSL version 0.9.5 released (Harri Haataja)
  Re: Hard drive upgrading? (Michele Beltrame)
  What is the upper bound of the number of files in a directory ? ("Æë±Ï³ª¶ó")
  Re: Internet Radio (tony)
  RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?! ("Elder V. Costa")
  PINE-like prog ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  autofs automount REDHAT6 (paul)
  Re: RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?! (Frank Elsner)
  Re: RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?! (Paul Black)
  Re: How can linux recognize a unlisted SCSI card? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux+NTFS ("FJM")
  Linux Cluster (albert)
  Re: PINE-like prog ? (Dewey Chan)
  Re: Realtek ethernet cards ("george wilson")
  Switching Window Managers ("FJM")
  Re: Old versions of Slackware ("WME")
  Re: What is the upper bound of the number of files in a directory ? (Lew Pitcher)
  compile/link error gcc with c++ (Martijn Brouwer)
  updating rpm database (Martijn Brouwer)
  Re: please help!  can't login! (Charles Saliba)

From: Achuthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Max logical drives supported
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:30:15 GMT

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Achuthan

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 06:30:12 GMT, Achuthan
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> shouted forth into the ether:
> >I would like to know the maximum logical drives supported by Redhat
Linux

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:31:45 +1100
From: Roddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Gnome Problems

Hi Linux people,

My gnome window manager is very problematic. Every time i log in i get a
host of error messages relating to gmc and the "panel". If anyone else
has had the same problems and knows how to solve them i'll be very
grateful.

Cheers

--
   __      __     ___    ___    _     _
  |    \    /     \   |      \  |      \   \ \_/ /
  | *  /   |  *  |   |  *  |  |  *  |    \   /
  |_/\_\   \__/   |___/  |___/     |_|
Roddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (MCSE)
MCSE - My Computer Sends Email

From: Harri Haataja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Non-X GUI?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:13:13 GMT

Rando Christensen wrote:

> B'ichela([EMAIL PROTECTED]) posts on:
> Re: Non-X GUI?
> >On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 01:20:20 GMT, Antryg Windrose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Keep in mind that you can drastically change the look and feel of the
> >>interface depending on the window manager you use. Fvwm has a
> >>configuration that looks an awful lot like Win98, or you can go with
> >>Gnome or KDE. I use LessTif myself.  Or, you can play with the X and Xt
> >>libraries and write your own window manager. The same batch of
> >>applications will run in all these different environment. (Well, I think
> >>Gnome provides a bit of functionality that the others ignore, IIRC.)
> >       Reguarding look and feel, is there a windows manager that
> >looks like Microsoft Windows 3.11? I kinda like that style.
> >
> IceWM has a couple win3.1 themes.. It's also not very resource intensive.

Since Win3.x looked a lot like motif, you could look at fvwm and mwm
(lesstiff).

Personally, I think it's the ugliest and clumsiest WM and desktop,
widgets (Motif) and overall look ever.

--
Harri Haataja                           Smilehouse OY
Systems Administrator                   Lauttasaarentie 54B, 4 krs

------------------------------

From: Harri Haataja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenSSL version 0.9.5 released
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:23:41 GMT

I think this kind of thing should go to freshmeat and .announce.

From: Michele Beltrame <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hard drive upgrading?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:30:05 GMT

Kenny Leong wrote:

> 1. How do I backup all the data in hdb or how to transfer to new hard
> drive?

Make a tarball and store it somewhere (another hard disk or backup
device)...

> 2. Does RH5.* support 8G disk space?ù

Sure.

> 3. Does RH5.* will auto detect the new drive as hdb after replace the old
> one?

Yes, there should be no problem with that.

> 4. What are the step that I need do in-order to keep all the setting
> (esp. Samba) to the new hard drive(sharing)?

You probably need to no nothing except unpacking the tarball on the new
hard drive. Be sure to pass the appropriate parameters about file ownership
to tar.

Michele.

From: "Æë±Ï³ª¶ó" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is the upper bound of the number of files in a directory ?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:31:09 +0900

Hello , I am Korean people.

I have some question.

What is the upper bound of the number of files in a directory in Linux ?

For example,

/home/ilnyun/

   a1.txt
   a2.txt

   a100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.txt

Is that possible ?

Thanks for reading my posting.

^^

------------------------------

From: q_49@hot#####mail.com (tony)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Internet Radio
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:45:05 GMT

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:30:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> With Xmms you can listen to the Shoutcast (shoutcast.com) stations -
>> there're quite a few. There's a Linux version of Spinner -
>> (spinner.com) - excellent selection of music channels. Skip RealPlayer
>> 5 and get the G2 - on my RedHat6 box it's stable and 'easily'
>> configurable with Netscape.
>
>How did you configure it with netscape?

Also can you post the link for G2  on the real audio website. RA sure
dont make it easy to find. Also they contract out support for the unix
versions and the company will only support version 5.

------------------------------

From: "Elder V. Costa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?!
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:09:40 -0300

Kernel rpm package version in RH6.2 beta is 2.2.15. How can it be? AFAIK
the newest kernel version is 2.2.14. What's the catch?

Regards

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PINE-like prog ?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:16:14 -0500

Hello

I've installed PINE on my Linux RH6.1, but unfortunaltely,
it seems that there are no filters for the incoming mails...
that's a pitty because otherwise, this prog is really
what I was looking for. Do you know another PINE-like
prog which provides more features, including filters,
spelling, multi-level directories and so on. And maybe also
news functions.

Hope someone knows. Thanks a lot.

Sacha

------------------------------

From: paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: autofs automount REDHAT6
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:30:30 GMT

Hi,

I'm using Red Hat 6, kernel 2.2.5-15 and kernel 2.2.12, and autofs don't
work. I already read the LG#24 & LG#42, the HowTos, and man's pages.

Where are more info about autofs.

Syslog says something like 'cannot connect to socket...' (I'm not remenber
well).

There are not other errors messages. I'm trying to mount a iso9660 cdrom
and a floppy drive.

From: Frank Elsner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat kernel v. 2.2.15 ?!?!?!
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:35:52 +0100

"Elder V. Costa" wrote:

> Kernel rpm package version in RH6.2 beta is 2.2.15. How can it be? AFAIK
> the newest kernel version is 2.2.14. What's the catch?

In fact it is a 2.2.15preX

> Regards

-Frank

------------------------------

From: Paul Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:39:44 +0000

"Elder V. Costa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kernel rpm package version in RH6.2 beta is 2.2.15. How can it be? AFAIK
> the newest kernel version is 2.2.14. What's the catch?

Pre-release versions of 2.2.15 are available. It's not a full release
(yet).

Paul

------------------------------

Subject: Re: How can linux recognize a unlisted SCSI card?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:49:14 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My computer have a SCSI controllers, described as following:
>   Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller

this doesn't look like a scsi controller description to me.  this is
an EIDE (ATA) contoller.

> When I was installing Redhat6.0, It's not in the SCSI card list.

not surprising in light of the above.

> So Linux
> can not find the hard disk in my computer.

do you have a scsi disk?  if you were able to attach the ribbon cable
from the promise card (without violence to the drive or cable) then
you do not have a scsi disk.

>   Can anyone tell me how to config a unkown SCSI card in Lunux?

figure out what kind of hard disk you have.  if it's scsi, what kind
of scsi?  50pin, 68pin, 80pin?  single-ended, low-voltage
differential?  if it's not a scsi disk, you might not need (or want) a
scsi controller card.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "FJM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux+NTFS
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:55:10 -0000

Look at SAMBA (comes with RH6.1)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: albert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Cluster
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:02:14 -0500

Hi All,

I have 2 PCs and i want to try to make a cluster with them just for fun.

i need some information about this subject, i found some articles on the
net, but i was not able to find some kind of how-to. my goal is to make
the 2 nodes execute tasks  in parallel ( i don't want a network with 2
workstations, i really want to make a cluster).

are there any " tutorials" on this matter or anyone who made such thing?

i need to know how to configure the 2 systems and what software i should
install.

the boxes are with the same hardware configuration:

pentium 200 MMX
32 MB
2 GB
Ethernet

I will use a data switch box for  the monitor and  keyboard.

the Linux distribution is RedHat 6.0

i will appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

albert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dewey Chan)
Subject: Re: PINE-like prog ?
Date: 29 Feb 2000 13:09:46 GMT

In article <89gda6$8d4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I've installed PINE on my Linux RH6.1, but unfortunaltely,
>it seems that there are no filters for the incoming mails...
>that's a pitty because otherwise, this prog is really
>what I was looking for. Do you know another PINE-like
>prog which provides more features, including filters,
>spelling, multi-level directories and so on. And maybe also
>news functions.
>
>Hope someone knows. Thanks a lot.
>
>Sacha

Take a look at procmail and qmail, filtering you can use for your emails
that comes in /var/mail/$USER.

-dc

------------------------------

From: "george wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Realtek ethernet cards
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:18:30 -0500

> I'm having some trouble with a RealTek ethernet card under SuSE 6.3.
> Anyone have any experiences bad/good?
> --
> Robin Becker

..I've had an initialization problem with a RealTek 8019 on RH6.1.
  Probably the driver is my guess.

------------------------------

From: "FJM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Switching Window Managers
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:14:54 -0000

Hi,

I am using RH6.1 and Enlightenment.  How do I choose a different window
manager?

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old versions of Slackware
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:33:17 -0500

> I think it knows what has to be written, since it ought to be the filename
> given when one starts debug, e.g.

Yes. I think you have to specify the file name using the 'N' which I think
stands for new and then u specify the number of bytes to be written to that
file. Where is your starting point. This is what I don't remember, but I
have Norton's "Advanced Assembly language" and I can check it out today. I
don't want to give you wrong information.

> The L command has the same syntax as the W command. I think L 0 0 0 1
> means load the stuff from record 0 0 to record 0 1 into memory. That
> suggests to me that the sequence to write the file foo.bar to the boot
> record is:

Wait a little bit. I think I can get the answer to that.

> How badly can I screw up the disk if I get it wrong?

It depends on where you overwrite stuff. If it's the boot sector, then the
computer will not boot, but can probably be repaired. If you overwrite the
FAT, then things become more difficult although if i recall correctly, there
are two copies of that FAT. It is better not to mess up with a system that
has important info. You can also use a floppy disk, but even if u use an FDD
it is still dangerous because you can accidently write to the HDD instead of
the FDD. It's a matter of typing the wrong number.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:30:38 GMT

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:31:09 +0900, "Æë±Ï³ª¶ó" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello , I am Korean people.
>
>I have some question.
>
>What is the upper bound of the number of files in a directory in Linux ?

The upper bound is not fixed, and is proportional to the number of
inodes on your filesystem. Directories are just special files, so
their contents can grow until there's no more space left on the
filesystem. In theory, you could fill your entire filesystem with
directory.

>For example,
>
>/home/ilnyun/
>
>   a1.txt
>   a2.txt
>
>   a100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.txt
>
>Is that possible ?

Yes, if you had a hard drive large enough to hold
100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001
files

>Thanks for reading my posting.
>
>^^

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martijn Brouwer)
Subject: compile/link error gcc with c++
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 00 13:46:23 GMT

When I try to compile a very simple test program written in c++ (Hello World!)
gcc gives the following output:

/tmp/ccLFx9IU.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccLFx9IU.o(.text+0xf): undefined reference to `cout'
/tmp/ccLFx9IU.o(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `ostream::operator<<(char
const *)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

the C and fortran compiler work well. I upgraded to gcc 2.95.2 lately, but I
am still using the binutils from 2.7.2.3. gcc includes the libstdc++, which
has been compiled at the same time. I have also installed libgpp (after the
compilation failure, but the results are unchanged).

Does anybody know where the problem is and how I can solve it?

Martijn Brouwer               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martijn Brouwer)
Subject: updating rpm database
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 00 13:50:01 GMT

Is there a way to update the rpm database? Recently I compiled a new gcc
myself, and uninstalled the old version, about which yast (=rpm) complained. I
got around it to install the minigcc, but a more elegant way to solve this
kind of problems would be appreciated, since I plan to install more
sourcepackages.

Thanks,

Martijn

From: Charles Saliba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help!  can't login!
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:57:48 -0500

==============094F50ABEB9677D2B1A4E160

Yonatan Mittlefehldt wrote:

> help!!!  i'm running redhat linux 6.0.  when i try to boot linux, during
> the normal boot process, it tells me that the kernel logger fails (so does
> http).  and when it comes to a login prompt, it won't let me log in with
> any users... not even root.  how can i fix this?  thanks in advance!
>
>                                 yono

I don't know if you got in by now, but here it is:

Option 1: if you have a lilo prompt at boot time, you can tell it to boot at
level 1 "vmlinux 1". This will put you in maintenance mode and you can check
the logs under /var/log/* for further pointers. OR

Oprion 2: if you cant tell lilo to boot level 1, you need to use a rescue
disk, or a bootable Linux cdrom and then mount your root file system, which
will give you access to the logs and /etc files.

I would check the logs in /var/logs/, the /etc files inetd passwd rc.d/ for
any errors in these scripts based on what you have modified last, and on what
the log files tell you.

good luck

==============094F50ABEB9677D2B1A4E160

begin:vcard