From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:06:54 -0500

Frank Sweetser wrote:

> > >Win 98 was a fix for Win95 don't try to tell me they don't sell them.
> >
> > Wrong, 98's sole purpose on earth is to force IE4/5 upon every user
> > possible.  IE is the most important peice of software ms has right now.
>
> tell that to the hundreds of MIS managers who asked MS "how do we make 95
> y2k compliant?" and got told "windows 98."

Actually the line was "buy NT".  98 is so unbelieveably horrible I doubt
that too many businesses are using it.  "Upgrading" to NT from 95 is
also very painful and costly.

------------------------------

From: "Mark P. Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: bash feature in ksh
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:44:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc J.D. Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Chung
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Somehow typing partial file name and then typing TAB key
:> automatically prints full file name in bash but not in ksh.  For
:> example, typing ".prof" and TAB prints out ".profile" in bash.  I am
:> wondering what switch turns this on in bash, and if it is possible
:> to do the same in ksh.  Thank you in advance.

And the default method of doing name-completion in ksh is to use ESC-\,
that is, the ESCAPE key, followed by a backslash.

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:45:06 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:15:16 GMT, wrote :

m>
m> YO YO YO!
m>
m> I'm looking for some reommendations for modems that work well under
m> linux.  Now that I'm in the process of ditching windoze, I gotta get rid
m> of that crappy win-modem. I'm running on a pretty standard P100 system.
m> Kinda looking for something that is reliable, fast and easy to setup
m> under linux. Thanx!

Any Hayes AT command set RS232 (serial port) external modem will work.

I believe ISA internal modems that have jumpers may also work.

Some ISA internal PNP modems may work, if PNP is disabled (or possibly
the PNP utilities will find it).

There are a couple of PCI internals that are 'real' modems, but here you
are entering needle & haystack land...

But a good, serial-port type external modem will work.  I believe all
current consumer-grade models are Hayes AT command set compatible (only
the odd rack-mount 'industrial' types might be not Hayes AT command set
compatible, or certain really old 1200 and 2400 bps models).

For super long term reliability, a US Robotics Courier V.Everything works
great (and costs $300.00+).  For light-duty use a US Robotics sportser
external should be fine (and priced < $100 I believe).

m>
m>
m> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
m> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
m>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux: now or never
Date: 21 Jun 1999 19:06:21 +0100

JHB NIJHOF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [about the Net Tamagotchi server]
> The Priority is optional, so I don't think it will be installed by
> default.

According to the description you access it over telnet. I think
I'll give it a go - a nice curses tamagotchi could be interesting to
play with, for a bit.

 - Richard.

--
   _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/ Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  _/  _/    _/    _/      Web Page:       http://www.littondale.freeserve.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Transferring /home from another disk???
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:06:09 -0400

I wonder if you'll have a name conflict between /home on the new HD and
that on the new HD.   You might have to rename /home on the old HD.

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I Obtain Drive Geometry?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:10:16 -0400

Try downloading PARTINFO.EXE from the Powerquest website.

------------------------------

From: Tarkaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EZ Drive and LILO?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:08:57 -0400

Is it possible to install LILO and EZ Drive on the same machine?  I'm
using an old Packard Bell for my linux box and I can't seem to get past
LI.  I already have LILO installed in the MBR...  I theorize that if I
put EZ Drive in the MBR and LILO on hda1, then EZ Drive can hand off to
LILO and boot Linux.

If this is possible, how do I put lilo on the partition instead of in
the MBR?

Thanks in advance.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: How to config the linux to become a proxy server?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:30:06 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:12:45 +0800, wallace wong wrote:

>Can you tell me how to config the linux to become a proxy server?  Or
>Where can I find the information?

I use Squid here. It came with my SuSE 6.0 distribution, and was fairly
painless to configure. Granted, if I were serving for more people than
myself I might spend more than 15 minutes in the config file, buuuut.. ;>

Surf over to http://squid.nlanr.net and grab a copy.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:57:40 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:19:25 -0700, Ronald Haynes wrote:
 >Hi, I just purchased a new system with a big drive and I want to
 >transfer my /home partition from another disk.
 >I have linux installed in a partition on my new drive.  So I install the
 >old drive in  my system so
 >that it is recognized by the BIOS and then what???  I assume I would
 >mount the drive and then transfer
 >the files??

Before mounting, you have to mke2fs on the partition.
Copy the files so that permissions etc are preserved:

cd /home
tar cvpf - * | (cd /newhome; tar xvpf -)

where /newhome is where the new drive is mounted.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: David Frye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Debian advocates
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:05:33 GMT

> I don't think he's asking for security updates for *all* past versions.  Just
> for all past _minor_ versions of the current _major_ version, 2.x .  Many open
> source developers seem to forget that a large part of their target audience
> is on _production_ machines that can't/won't/shouldn't be subjected to every
> *minor* OS upgrade as soon as it comes out if it can be avoided.  Hamm is a
> fine, solid release; why abandon it so soon just 'cause slink is sexier?
>   -- John Girash --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --- http://skyron.harvard.edu/ --

True, only the last release prior to the current one. Why upgrade a stable,
production machine to the current release when all that you need is a security
update or two to keep the machine running smoothly and protect yourself.  Granted,
there comes a point in time when you are better off upgrading to the most recent
release, but there usually is not that much of a difference between point releases
to warrant the upgrade to a production machine unless it will provide capabilities
that are not provided in the release that it is running.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Date: 19 Jun 1999 21:18:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Salman Ahmed wrote:
>(1) Is there a version of Debian that comes with a 2.2.x kernel ?

At any time, there are two Debians available, stable and development.
Currently, Debian 2.1 is stable.
The kernel is available separately.

>The
>Debian website says that 2.1 comes with the 2.0.36 kernel and I do
>want to make the switch to a 2.2.x kernel.

I run Debian 2.1 on linux-2.2.9.  I didn't notice
anything not working.  But the reason to install Debian instead of a
"bleeding edge" commercial release is to get the extra testing and
stability.  When Debian 2.2 comes out, you can be pretty sure everything
will work.

>(2) How easy is it with Debian to upgrade from the 2.0.36 kernel to
>one of the 2.2.x kernels ?

That will depend on your needs.  The kernel is a collection of a huge number
of drivers, written by many different people with different coding styles.
I had no problems, but I use only the most popular drivers.
You may find sound cards or ISDN adapters you can't build yet.

>I have avoided so far trying to upgrade my
>RH 5.2 kernel 2.0.36 to one of the 2.2.x ones because of horror stories
>from other people about problems with glibc 2.1 and the new egcs.

Good reason to go with Debian 2.1.  When Debian supports glibc 2.1 and
egcs, they'll have an upgrade kit that actually works.  I don't have
that same confidence in the commercial releases.

>(3) When is the next stable release of Debian going to be released ?

When it's good and ready.  This is the reason for Debian's high quality.
No rush.

>(4) What does Debian offer to the power user over a distro like say
>RH ?

Superior technical support.  I have never gotten useful support
from Red Hat.  I've called them with simple questions and a paid-up
license number, and been told things like "Sorry, we can't support sound
cards."  With Debian, as long as you have the attitude that as a user
you are part of the development team, and never whine, you will eventually
get any problem solved.  But to get that support you have to participate
in the Debian project to some degree.  You may have to join a busy
mailing list for a week to get a question answered.
That's a decision you will have to make.  If you want a paid-for
telephone support desk, SuSE might be a better choice.

>I would really like to hear people's positive and negative experiences with
>Debian, and also arguments in favor of switching to Debian.

Debian negative: The install procedure for media other than CD ROM
is poorly documented.
Some old favorites like Netscape and xv are "non-free" and you'll have to
rummage around for them.
You can take wrong turns in the installation and get lost, or make a
nonworking system.  It is safer to select a default assortmment of
packages and then add or remove from that than start from nothing and
rely on the dependencies to pull your system together.
And if you start reading the package descriptions, your initial dselect run
can be three hours or more.  It's a *big* distribution.
Many of the packages, especially development libraries, do not have
meaningful descriptions.  "This is libwhozitz.  It's good for developing
libwhozitz-dependent things."
The package search on www.debian.org is usually broken.

>My system configuration is :
>
>Celeron 300A (at 300MHz)
>128 MB Ram
>Quantum 10.2 UDMA HD
>Creative Labs 36x CD-ROM

That stuff is all fine.  Be sure to select Linear Block Addressing before
partitioning the drive.

>SoundBlaster PCI 128 sound card

Check the Sound HOWTO.  I see Soundblaster AWE64 in the kernel menu,
but not 128.

>Acer 56k internal ISA modem

This will work if it is not a "Winmodem."

>Matrox Millenium G200 video card

Works great.

>ADI MicroScan 6P monitor

Any monitor that works with the video card is fine.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question about source code
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:19:29 GMT

  Michael Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 21 Jun 1999 16:42:09 -0400, wrote :

MD> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
MD> Daniel P. Katz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
MD> >Hi.
MD> >
MD> >   I'm new to linux and am having a bit of trouble locating
MD> >source code.  I'm running RedHat 6.0, and I have found the source RPMs
MD> >and installed them, but they seem to bundle a lot of stuff per RPM.
MD> >So if I want to find the source for uniq or sort or cat (as examples),
MD> >how do I figure out which (of the several tens of) RPMs they're in?
MD> >
MD> >   Sorry if this is a REALLY FAQ, but I just couldn't seem to
MD> >dope out the system.
MD> >
MD> >Dan
MD>
MD> You're probably looking at the kernel source code, you definitely
MD> are if it's under /usr/src/linux (If I remember correctly).
MD>
MD> I don't think RedHat comes with the source for all the little
MD> utilities like cat or ls. Even though they're commonly found
MD> on just about every Unix system, they are not part of the heart
MD> of unix (i.e. the kernel).

Yes, RedHat does come with all of the sources for everything in a base
distribution.  Both on the various ftp sites (in a 'SRPMS' directory
paralleling the <arch> directories), or on the *second* CD if one buys
the RedHat box.  There is a one-to-one (with a few random exceptions)
coorespondence between the binary RPMs in the RPMS directory on CD 1
and the source RPMs in the SRPMS directory on CD 2. There are no
'sources' for things like fonts or configure files or documentation
files (except maybe things like LaTeX or texinfo source files in some
cases) and the kernel sources (and stuff like sendmail configure
sources) are included in with the 'binary' RPMS.  A few things, like
inews, have the binary excerpted from the base package (inn), since it
makes sense to have only one news server box in a grouping of
workstations and each workstation needs inews to talk to the news
server box.

--
                                     \/

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:19:25 GMT

  In a message on 21 Jun 1999 20:00:30 GMT, wrote :

DPK> Hi.
DPK>
DPK>    I'm new to linux and am having a bit of trouble locating
DPK> source code.  I'm running RedHat 6.0, and I have found the source RPMs
DPK> and installed them, but they seem to bundle a lot of stuff per RPM.
DPK> So if I want to find the source for uniq or sort or cat (as examples),
DPK> how do I figure out which (of the several tens of) RPMs they're in?
DPK>
DPK>    Sorry if this is a REALLY FAQ, but I just couldn't seem to
DPK> dope out the system.
DPK>
DPK> Dan

What you need is to map a program file to a RPM:

% rpm -q -f `which uniq`
textutils-1.22-7

(This is on a RH 5.2 system, so you'll get a different version number.)

This says that textutils-1.22-7.<arch>.rpm is where uniq came from
(<arch> for me is i386, and probably the same for you).  Somewhere on
the *second* CD you got from RedHat is a file named

textutils-<version>.src.rpm

This RPM contains the sources to uniq (along with a bunch of related
utilities, probably sort and cat and a few others).

Get this RPM off the CD and install it.  This will put the sources in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/, probably a file named
textutils-<version>.tar.gz, along with some patches and related stuff
needed to build it under Linux.  The textutils-<version>.tar.gz can be
unpacked with a command like:

% tar xzvf textutils-<version>.tar.gz

Which should create a directory named textutils-<version> with a pile of
.c and .h files, a Makefile.in, a configure script, a README, and an
INSTALL file.  Probably some other stuff as well.  And there you are.
Fire up your virtual light saber and Use The Source Luke...

--
                                     \/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H. Peter Anvin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux uid limits!
Date: 21 Jun 1999 02:02:46 GMT

Followup to:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
By author:    Justin Vallon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson) writes:
>
> > Nope.  I cannot quote chapter and verse, but I think ANSI (and ISO, by
> > extension (no pun intended)) says something like this:
> >
> >   sizeof(char)==1
>
> I think sizeof(X) returns the sizeof an object of type X in chars, so
> this is essentially the definition of sizeof().
>
> >   sizeof(short int) >= 2
> >   sizeof(int) >= 2
>
> I don't think so.  You could have 8-bit short, 8-bit int, 8-bit long.
>
> >   sizeof(long int) >= sizeof(int) >= sizeof(short int)
>
> This is true.  I believe this is the only guarantee.
>
> >   sizeof(long long int) is undefined since `long long int' is undefined
> >
> > I understand C9X, bowing to popular convention, will define `long long
> > int' to 64 bits, or at least define it at all.  Currently it's a GNU C
> > (and maybe others) extension, not a standard.
>
> [ I've used it on Solaris. ]  The only thing a standards organization
> will say, most likely, is that sizeof(long long int) >= sizeof(long
> int).

Not so.  Per the C9x draft:

char is specified to be at least 8 bits.
short is specified to be at least 16 bits.
int is specified to be at least 16 bits.
long is specified to be at least 32 bits.
long long is specified to be at least 64 bits.

*In addition*,

sizeof(char) == 1,
sizeof(long long) >= sizeof(long) >= sizeof(int) >= sizeof(short) >= sizeof(char).

        -hpa
--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with