Linux-Misc Digest #729, Volume #24                Tue, 6 Jun 00 14:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  change ctime (John Hunter)
  Re: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true????
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Corel Office 2000 for Linux (Deluxe) (Isabelle Banville)
  Re: Netscape 4.73 - problem with time/date in mail ("yaya")
  xconsole is running full (Bram Baptiste)
  Re: Red Hat 6.2 and Old a.out Binaries (fred smith)
  Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98 (Leonard Evens)
  info files (=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= SCHILDKNECHT)
  Does Linux support Multiprocessors? ("jmt")
  Ctrl-C doesn't work in single user mode (Bernd Eggink)
  LILO in partition rather than MBR (Christoph Kukulies)
  Re: Does Linux support Multiprocessors? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Does Linux support Multiprocessors? (Martin Herrman)
  Re: RedHat on Sparc 20 (Pete Zaitcev)
  Re: Does Linux support Multiprocessors? (mike burrell)
  Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98 (John Hasler)
  Re: How to create device on diskette? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: loading module on red-hat 6.2 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Freewwweb slow ? ("Zbigniew Sienkiewicz")
  Re: Can a 486 handle PPPoE + ipMASQ for 3 comps ? (Neil Wolvin)
  Re: problems with dump & cron (Dances With Crows)
  Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98 (Grant Edwards)
  Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98 (Grant Edwards)

Subject: change ctime
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Jun 2000 10:19:54 -0500

I have some tar archives of files from a MS Win98 system with
timestamps where the year is 2028.  Is there any way I can change the
creation time stamps in my linux system after I unpack the archive.

Thanks,
John Hunter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true????
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:34:17 GMT

In article <8gtb9p$eks$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security
Engineer) wrote:
> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]
>
>         40MHz SuperSPARC is faster than a 50MHz LX)
>       - the only thing faster in the LX is memory bandwidth; being a
>         single CPU system, memory and CPU are closer and so is the
>       bandwidth.

No, you mean "latency". The LX has a lower latency to main memory
than the SS10, but the SS10 has a much higher bandwidth.

From: Isabelle Banville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corel Office 2000 for Linux (Deluxe)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:42:06 -0500

Has anyone else tried this product?

Here is my experience with it...

I run under RedHat 6.1 on an Athlon 700 MHz with 256 MB Ram, etc.

It is very easy to install Office 2000.
-The applications are not stable.  I can make Quattro Pro crash in less
than 30 seconds by doing very simple manipulations.
-Tech support was quick in calling me back but could not reproduce the
problem (not running under Red Hat).  So Corel "engineering" is supposed
to call me back (it's been 2 weeks already!).
-I asked for my money back, but will wait to see if they can fix the
problem before making the claim (I wonder if the 30-day money back
guarantee was a good thing for them).

So far, I am very disappointed in this product.  I was hoping to get rid
of my second computer with Windows all together.

Isabelle

------------------------------

From: "yaya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.73 - problem with time/date in mail
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:50:09 -0600

I have also found a nice little POP bug.  If you set netscape mail to leave
the mail it gets on the server, it doesn't remember and will continually
get the same messages over and over again.
yaya

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:54:52 +0200
From: Bram Baptiste <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xconsole is running full

Hello,

I 'm logging a lot of stuff to xconsole.  How can I set a maximum of MB
of lines to this window.

I 'm using fvwm2.

Thanks in advance,  Bram

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2 and Old a.out Binaries
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 01:56:17 GMT

Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 5 Jun 2000 11:57:16 GMT, Bastian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>On 5 Jun 2000 03:20:17 GMT, Jim wrote:
:>>I just upgraded Red Hat 6.1 to 6.2, and lost the ability to execute ancient
:>>a.out type binaries. The "6.2" a.out compatibility library package IS
:>>installed, so that's not the problem. I may have lost the path to it
:>>somewhere though. As I recall, I had the same problem for awhile with 6.1,
:>>and finally found how to make the libraries available at run time. But I
:>>can't locate the notes for that.
:>>
:>>Does anyone recall the trick to this, making these libraries available, or
:>>is this possibly some new problem?
:>
:>Make sure your kernel has enabled support for "a.out binaries". If the
:>libs are where they are supposed to be, they don't have to be loaded
:>or declared additionally.

: Also, try insmod'ing the binfmt-aout.o module.  A recent kernel change
: make the kernel request the modules using a different magic number from
: what it used to be.

On my 6.2 (upgrade from 5.2) I noted that a.out binaries will run, but
only if I manually insmod binfmt-aout.o. It does not seem to want to
autoload that module. Is this a bug, or a feature?

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 09:50:52 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can anyone answer this one? Why is the price for a Dell running Linux
> more that the price for a Win98 box. It should be cheaper considering
> it is a FREE OS!!! I checked the Dell web site and configured a "Dell
> Dimension XPS T" and for Win98 the price was $1,658 but for RedHat Linux
> 6.1 (The older Version) $1,737. I have listed the Dell options below:
>
> Date: 6/5/00 @ 8:00AM
> Dell Dimension XPS T PIII Mini Tower: PIII @ 700MHz [220-2135]
> Memory: 128MB 100MHz SDRAM [311-8410]
> Keyboard: QuietKey Keyboard [310-7002]
> Monitor: Dell Ultrascan P780 17" [320-4501]
> Video Card: 32MB NVIDA geFORCE 4X AGP Graphics Card [320-0131]
> Hard Drive: 20.4 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive [340-2409]
> Operating System: Win98 [310-8921] or Linux [420-2250]
> Mouse: MS IntelliMouse [310-0050]
> Network Card: 3COM 3C905C-TXM 10/100 Remote Wake Up [430-3280]
> Modem: No Modem [313-3607]
> Optical Drives: 48X Max / 20X Min CDROM [313-3922]
> Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live! Value Digital [313-7869]
> Speakers: Harmon/Kardon Speakers [313-3925]
> Bundled Software: No MS Office [412-1397]
> Iomega Zip Drives: No Zip Drives [460-8320]
> Norton Antivirus: NAV 2000 [412-5620] ONLY ON THE MS SYSTEMS FOR FREE!!
> Service: 1 Yr. Next Business Day On-Site P&L, Yrs 2&3, BSC [900-1590]
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Another likely theory: Dell may just have compared their prices
to vendors like Penguin, Indybox, etc., and come up with a price
that is in line with those vendors.   Since they have such an
advantage in hardware volume, they may be able to boost their
Linux profit margin thereby.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= SCHILDKNECHT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: info files
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 18:37:28 +0200

Hi,

    Could someone help me ?

I've installed some new program on my PC (linux kernel 2.2...) and I
wonder where I could add some pathes or filenames, so that the command
info could see the info files that came with that stuf...

Thanks.

S@S

From: "jmt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Does Linux support Multiprocessors?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:49:56 GMT

I gots me a dual processor motherboard running 2 pentiums II's. Will Linux
use them? If so,  is there anything extra has to be installed to have the
kernal see them or special bootup cmds?

From: Bernd Eggink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ctrl-C doesn't work in single user mode
Date: 6 Jun 2000 16:56:42 GMT

I'm running SuSE 6.4. After booting to single user mode, Ctrl-C has no
effect, which makes it impossible to cancel running commands. Playing
with the tty settings doesn't change anything. Dows anybody know the
reason for this behavior, and possibly how to change it?

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO in partition rather than MBR
Date: 6 Jun 2000 16:59:21 GMT

I'm fighting to install Win98 concurrently with Redhat Linux 6.1 on the same
(39GB) IDE disk.

After the Redhat GNOME installer messed the partition table several times
I now installed a plain DOS 2GB partition (to install Win98 later)
having Linux on a partition after the 2GB (in reach of the 1024 sectors
of BIOS)

After installing Linux (had installed the DOS partition and DOS first)
the Linux installation overwrote my MBR with Lilo, obviously.

I then fdisk/mbr'ed the partition again and installed a boot manager
which I know from older times, OSBS208BETA (or something like that).

When I choose the first partition labeled 'linux' in the boot manager
I cannot boot that partition. It hangs.

Not knowing very much about the LILO architecture, is it possible to
install LILO such that it sits only on the Linux partition and not in
the MBR?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Does Linux support Multiprocessors?
Date: 6 Jun 2000 16:55:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help jmt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I gots me a dual processor motherboard running 2 pentiums II's. Will Linux
: use them? If so,  is there anything extra has to be installed to have the
: kernal see them or special bootup cmds?

No, nothing special is needed. Just a kernel compiled for smp.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Herrman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Date: 06 Jun 2000 17:07:34 GMT

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:49:56 GMT, jmt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I gots me a dual processor motherboard running 2 pentiums II's. Will Linux
> use them? If so,  is there anything extra has to be installed to have the
> kernal see them or special bootup cmds?

Recompile your kernel. Enable the SMP option at one of the first options in the
configuration screen and have fun.

Martin

--
Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://2mypage.cjb.net
Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: RedHat on Sparc 20
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:13:50 GMT

>    I have a Sparc 20 that I've been trying to install RedHat 6.1 on
> but it dies at the point where you get to make a selection on what
> type of installation you want ( Workstation , Server, etc. ) I've also
> not been able to install 6.0 on it.  I'm starting to believe that the
> problem lies in the fact that I have an SX frame buffer ( 8 MB VRAM)
> instead of some other more common frame buffer. Any one successful
> in installing RedHat on a machine with this frame buffer ?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcelo

I would suggest installing over the serial port, with keyboard
disconnected. Once you have the system installed, you may
reconfigure your kernel or apply any necessary patches to make SX
(cg14) work.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: mike burrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:16:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help jmt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I gots me a dual processor motherboard running 2 pentiums II's. Will Linux
> use them? If so,  is there anything extra has to be installed to have the
> kernal see them or special bootup cmds?

depending on your distribution, you may have to a kernel recompile.

talking from a 'make menuconfig' perspective ('make xconfig' may use
slightly different names), go to "Processor type and features" and then make
sure that "Symmetric multi-processor support" is set.

that's it.  if "Symmetric multi-processor support" is already set, then you
probably don't need to recompile the kernel (since your present kernel more
than likely already has support compiled in).

--
             /"\                                m i k e    b u r r e l l
             \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:01:10 GMT

> Can anyone answer this one? Why is the price for a Dell running Linux
> more that the price for a Win98 box.

Because Dell figures that people will pay more for Linux.  Evidently Dell's
marketing people have determined that their customers are prepared to pay a
premium for not having Windows.

> It should be cheaper considering it is a FREE OS!

The cost of manufacturing a copy of Windows is the same as the cost of
manufacturing a copy of Linux.  Linux, however, is worth much more.

"Cost" only determines price insofar as it sets a lower limit.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How to create device on diskette?
Date: 06 Jun 2000 13:36:08 EDT

On 06 Jun 2000 14:30:59 +0200, Sverre Torjussen
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I have a PC running RH 6.2(Zoot)/WIN NT 2k. I use a boot diskette to
>load the Linux environment and would like to take a back up of the
>boot diskette. But I have some problems trying to do this...  The
>device properties/attributes I would like to create on diskette are:
>  [root@wst_pc /dev]# ls -l hdb1 fd0
>   brw-rw----    1 root     floppy     2,   0 May  5  1998 fd0
>   brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  65 May  5  1998 hdb1
>   [root@wst_pc dev]# cd; umount /mnt/floppy/; mount
>    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy; cd /mnt/floppy
>   [root@wst_pc floppy]# cd dev/
>   [root@wst_pc dev]# mknod -m 660 hdb1 b 3 65
>   mknod: hdb1: Operation not permitted

Several possiblilties exist.  First, the filesystem on the floppy may not
support device nodes.  You can't use mknod if the floppy has a DOS
filesystem on it.  Second, the disk itself may be mounted with the
"nodev" option.  Check the fstab line for /dev/fd0 and make sure the
"nodev" option isn't there.  The man page for mount also states that if
the "user" option is present, "nodev" is assumed, and you must change the
option line like so:

/dev/fd0   auto    /mnt/floppy    noauto,user,dev,suid  0  0

Or you can mount the floppy manually as root, giving it the options you
want instead of allowing fstab to determine things for you.  This is
probably the safest way to go.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: loading module on red-hat 6.2
Date: 06 Jun 2000 13:40:36 EDT

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:43:18 +0000, Guy-Armand Kamendje
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I'm trying to let my kernel load the imm driver for my Zip250 at boot
>time. I use following line in my fstab and for the case mount the disk
>inserted in the drive.
>/dev/sbd4  /mnt/zip auto notauto,rw 0 0
>unfortunately, this does not work and I have to do it manualy using
>modprobe imm
>and
>mount /dev/sbd4 /mnt/zip
>I have also tried some entries like
>probe imm
>in conf.module but without succes
>Is there any way to automate this job?

Put the modprobe and mount commands in /sbin/init.d/boot.local
(/etc/rc.d/rc.local for Redhat and derived.)  This probably won't do what
you expect, though, so just put the modprobe command in and mount the
disk manually when you want to use it.

From: "Zbigniew Sienkiewicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Freewwweb slow ?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:46:59 -0700

I agree that email is the worst part of freewwweb but they're getting (most
likely) enough money from advertising to fix it. They claim to have
membership growing by 10000 per day! I'm sure that's the perfect opportunity
for advertisers. It would be nice to have less busy signals during prime
time.
But - as far as I know - that's the only free ISP without banners. You can't
beat that!
Zbigniew

------------------------------

From: Neil Wolvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can a 486 handle PPPoE + ipMASQ for 3 comps ?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:45:07 GMT

I have a 486 dx33  520 mb hdd with 20 meg ram firewall for 4 computers, 3
windows 1 linux with bellatlantic dsl.  On occasion all 4 are connected to the
internet at the same time and I find no slowdown in performance.  Before I set
this box up as a forewall I used it to experiment and I had 8meg or ram and was
running X.  I found 8megs were not enough with X so I added some more memory and
performance improved a little.  I later removed X and set up this box as my
firewall for a 56k dialup.  When dls became available, I installed pppoe and
made the switch.  I suspect you will be ok with 8megs of ram. If not, you can
pick up some additional memory.

Good luck
Neil Wolvin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: problems with dump & cron
Date: 06 Jun 2000 13:46:18 EDT

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:17:31 +0200, Peter Buzanits
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I have a cron-job which should schedule a dump.
>In /var/log/messages it says that the cronjob has been executed, but the
>dump did not run.
>root@filez:~/bin > crontab -l
># DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
># (/tmp/crontab.20539 installed on Tue Jun  6 15:17:50 2000)
># (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
>0 2 * * *  /root/bin/fullbackup
>
>root@filez:~/bin > cat /root/bin/fullbackup
>dump -0au -f /dev/st0 /dev/sda3
>
>When I call /root/bin/fullbackup manually, it works great...

As a shot in the dark, try putting /sbin/dump in there instead of just
"dump", make sure the fullbackup script is chmodded +x, and put the
#!/bin/sh in as the first line.  Calling a shell script from a cron job
can and will cause the normal environment settings to get lost, so full
pathnames to all commands are your friend here.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:47:29 GMT

In article <8hipta$r2e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Can anyone answer this one? Why is the price for a Dell running
>Linux more that the price for a Win98 box. It should be cheaper
>considering it is a FREE OS!!! I checked the Dell web site and
>configured a "Dell Dimension XPS T" and for Win98 the price was
>$1,658 but for RedHat Linux 6.1 (The older Version) $1,737.

Generally, whatever most people buy will be the cheapest since
the process will be otpimized for that. Exceptions cost money.

A company where I used to work sold a widget that came standard
with a mounting bracket.  You could also order the widget
without the mounting bracket. But, the price without the
bracket was higher: somebody had to take a unit off the shelf,
open the box, remove the bracket, close the box, print a new
label, stick it on the box, and ship it.  If you ordered it
with the bracket, all they had to do was pull it off the shelf
and ship it.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Dell's drives have Windows
installed by a highly automated process.  If you order Linux,
they have to manually reformat the disk and install Linux.
Just guessing...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hello? Enema
                                  at               Bondage? I'm calling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 17:50:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hasler wrote:
>> Can anyone answer this one? Why is the price for a Dell running Linux
>> more that the price for a Win98 box.
>
>Because Dell figures that people will pay more for Linux.  Evidently Dell's
>marketing people have determined that their customers are prepared to pay a
>premium for not having Windows.
>
>> It should be cheaper considering it is a FREE OS!
>
>The cost of manufacturing a copy of Windows is the same as the cost of
>manufacturing a copy of Linux.

That is probably not the case.

Manufacturing costs depend hugely on volume.  If the volume of
Windows copies is a lot larger than the volume of Linux copies,
then the per-copy manufacturing cost of Windows copies is going
to be lower.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Do you like "TENDER
                                  at               VITTLES"?