Linux-Misc Digest #964, Volume #20                Thu, 8 Jul 99 10:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  2 x 3c905 @ same I/O ??? (Guy)
  Re: format >2GB hard ("Dave Burley")
  system.map ("Sigurdur Hannesson")
  Re: VMWare, need help with internet connection! (Mircea)
  Re: Kernel compile: 'make dep' errors: .h files are not being found... ("Michael
Smith")
  Re: Gnome and window manager (Richard Corfield)
  Re: converting emails ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Where is $PATH set in RH 6.0? (John Strange)
  Re: linx vs hurd (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Selecting GUIs? (Silviu Minut)
  Bash vs. tcsh (Matthew W. Roberts)
  Re: Where is $PATH set in RH 6.0? (Silviu Minut)
  Re: a good POP3 email client? (Peter Caffin)
  Re: cp/m86 file system originally Re: Accessing dos files from Linux. (Peter Caffin)
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Peter Caffin)
  Re: ANSI term type in linux doesn't behave properly? (Peter Caffin)
  Re: how can i print a "window" (easily) :) (Peter Caffin)
  Re: es1868 under mandrake-red-hat 5.3 and 6.0 (Peter Caffin)
  Re: How to capture linux install screen? (Peter Caffin)
  Re: BSD Process Accounting question (Peter Caffin)
  Re: Is there a variant of telnetd which logs in users? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (John Imrie)

From: Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: 2 x 3c905 @ same I/O ???
Date: 8 Jul 1999 11:30:53 GMT

I have two 3c905 cards in a router, which I cannot get working together.
Further investigation reveals that the 2 cards are reported as having the
same IO, but different IRQ.

According to the DOS config util, they are configured at different IO and
IRQ, but when after loading 3c59x.o they are reported as above.

Linux does not find them on boot, so 3c59x.o is loaded manually. IP
addresses can be bound to both adapters, but only one will work at any
given time. Have enabled/disabled PnP BIOS, lilo.conf has:

append = "ether=11,fc80,eth0 ether=9,fc00,eth1"

No idea what to do!! Help!

Thanks,
Guy

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Dave Burley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.msdos.misc
Subject: Re: format >2GB hard
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:32:31 +1000

Make sure that you set LBA mode on for the drive, in the cmos setup...

then re-run fdisk, it should prompt for large disk, say yes & away you go,
as someone else stated, FAT32 has fixed cluster size for disks up to 8Gb,
but the ID byte in the partition table is different for FAT32 LBA & FAT32
CHS

0x0B00 = Windows 95 FAT-32

0x0C00 = Windows 95 FAT-32 (LBA)

FDISK checks the bios(from cmos setup) table for Large Block Access, if it
didn't ask I would presume it is turned off, Worth a try anyway, by the way
as FATS are dynamic under FAT32, the size is dependant on disk size, it
would be easier to delete the partition of 2GB you created!

Best regards Dave B...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Sigurdur Hannesson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: system.map
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:23:04 -0000

Hi,
I have just installed a new kernel (2.2.9) and all is well until I
reboot the machine it complaines about the system.map referencing
a different version.  The system.map points to system.map-2.2.5-15
which is the original kernel(RedHat 6.0).  I have changed kernels often but
this error is a first.  I did all the ordinary things(make mrproper, make
xfonfig,
make dep, make clean, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install,
vi /etc/lilo.conf, lilo).
Any ideas??

regards,
Siggi

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VMWare, need help with internet connection!
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:26:46 -0400

You need to setup IP-masquerading on the Linux host. For a comprehensive
walk-through, go to:
http://members.home.net/ipmasq/

MST

------------------------------

From: "Michael Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel compile: 'make dep' errors: .h files are not being found...
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:40:08 -0400

Thanks to all of you guys for the help!!!  After 're-installing' these c
libs, make dep worked, but a few files were still not located.  make bzImage
ran for a long time, then bombed with little indication as to why.

Well, I booted to my Caldera Lisa / fdd install img, and formatted by little
300MB hdd.  To make a LONG story short I got base installed, recompiled
kernel with ipmasq support, etc.  My LAN
(http://www.awtechnologies.net/mynet.html) has Internet access!  There is
still some strangeness going on: many modules (that I did NOT select in make
config) attempt, and fail, to load.  Everything that I intended to install
works fine, but from every filesystem supported to every 3com nic driver and
everything in between, all of these modules 'fail to load'.

Oh, well...  my wife and I have shared access to the Net, and I have a new
challenge!

// Michael

------------------------------

From: Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Gnome and window manager
Date: 07 Jul 1999 17:39:00 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter) writes:

> pico enlightened this group thus:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to start Gnome with another window manager then
> > enlightenment? If so, how do I change that. What file do I have to edit? I
> > have looked around in Xclients, but there I can only change the window
> > manager I prefer. But where can I change the window manager Gnome is using?
>
> Icewm is a good and simple window manager that is Gnome compliant.  I installed
> icewm but not enlightenment, and gnome-session defaulted to icewm automatically.

I'm now running Gnome/WindowMaker which is noticebly faster on my low
memory (48Meg!) system than Gnome/Enlightenment and quite a nice
interface. I just installed wmaker-gnome and found it on the Gnome
desktop/Window Manager settings, selected it and pressed Go.

Linux is not only a system that lets you choose your window manager
but it lets you change it on the fly.

 - Richard.

--
   _/_/_/  _/_/_/  _/_/_/ Richard Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  _/  _/    _/    _/      Web Page:       http://www.littondale.freeserve.co.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: converting emails
Date: 8 Jul 1999 12:28:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
= e.g. I have many problems with emailswith attachements  that are sent
= by outlook express under Windows NT

Attachments should be no problem. Most e-mail programs call metamail, which
should be able to handle most MIME types.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |   *ZAPP* *SCREEeeeeee* *POW* *ZAPZAPZAPZAP* *BOOM* |
|Andrew Halliwell       | "Don't run away.... We are your friends."          |
|Principal subjects in:-| *ZAP*  "AAAAAARGH" *BOOOM*                         |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |    - The translator device... Mars Attacks         |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Strange)
Subject: Re: Where is $PATH set in RH 6.0?
Date: 8 Jul 1999 12:06:03 GMT

Have you looked in    /etc/bashrc

Bruce Fletcher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I have recently installed RedHat 6.0.  One small problem I am having is
: that the $PATH environment variable is a little absurd:

: > echo $PATH
: /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/bruce/Pytho
: n-1.5.2:/home/bruce/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/bruce/Python-1.5.2:/home/bruce/
: bin

: (manually re-entered, but hopefully correct)

: The only places I have found where PATH is set are in /etc/profile:

: PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

: and in .bash_profile:

: PATH=$PATH:$HOME/Python-1.5.2:$HOME/bin

: What else am I missing?  How do I set up a clean PATH?

: Thanks for any pointers,
: - Bruce

--
While Alcatel may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
Alcatel does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when u

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linx vs hurd
Date: 07 Jul 1999 20:32:16 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Benkmann) writes:

> It's really hard to become a Linux driver programmer. As I perceive it
> you have to dig your way through too much code you don't really need
> to see and mess with too many things you better not mess with.

that's pretty funny considering some of the comments from the
Halloween doc.  The one I'm thinking of in particular was something to
the extent of "....Any fool can buy a copy _Writing Linux Device
Drivers_ and get a working driver in no time; compare that to
developing drivers for NT."  Well, I guess MS doesn't claim NT has a
microkernel anymore.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Selecting GUIs?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:25:01 -0400

For each window manager you want to start from AfterStep there is a file in
/usr/local/share/afterstep/start/Quit.
For instance, for fvwm2, I have a file called 6_restartfvwm2 which contains the
only line

Restart "Restart with Fvwm2" fvwm2

Make a similar file for gnome. You have to be root. Then from the start menu ->
desktop -> update all. If it doesn't work, exit X and restart.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew W. Roberts)
Subject: Bash vs. tcsh
Date: 8 Jul 1999 08:18:32 -0500

>Of course, you could just make csh your default...but why?

Not looking to provoke a flame war, but is there a web page
anywhere that compares bash with tcsh.  I've been using tcsh
for a long time, but am considering switching to bash.

Matt

Matthew Roberts                             http://matt.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I just bought a microwave fireplace... You can spend an evening in
front of it in only eight minutes.
   -- Steven Wright

------------------------------

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:30:44 -0400

Under RH6.0 the path is set for the first tyme in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Believe
it or not. Then it's appended in  other files: /etc/profile, .bash_profile,
possibly others.

------------------------------

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: a good POP3 email client?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:31:59 +0800

Matthew Bafford <*@dragons.duesouth.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time (Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:49:20 -0400), Dave Howland
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted the following to our fine group:
> : I'm looking for a good email client basically just to download my email to
> : a local inbox... (so it doesn't take up so much space in my shell account
> : on my school's server) a work-a-like to the eudora client for window's 95

If you're after a work-alike to Eudora, I'd suggest Arrow at
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~glenn/arrow/. Very nice implementation (though
it's more equivalent to Eudora's 1.x.x series). The bonus is that it uses
pine-compatible folders, too.

[...]
> If I understand you correctly, look into fetchmail.  It'll download the
> mail from the server, do some basic filtering, and deliver it to sendmail
> (installed on your system).  sendmail then delivers to procmail (if set
> up correctly), allowing you to use one of the most popular mail filtering
> packages available.

Using Fetchmail to download your mail to your box allows you to use a
myriad of email clients under Linux. The big names are, of course: Elm,
Pine, Mutt (console mode), Netscape Mail, Arrow and Xmh (X11).

[...]
--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cp/m86 file system originally Re: Accessing dos files from Linux.
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:13:49 +0800

B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Caffin wrote:
>>B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Too bad that does not work with mounting my cp/m-86 partitions.
>>> only my drdos 7.02 ones. Does anyone have a cp/m-86 file system for linux?
>>> I am using Personal CP/M86 ver 1.1. it is located on my /dev/sdb2
>>> partition.
>>
>>You'll be able to do this with cpmtools, no doubt. It's available as
>>a tar-ball from Sunsite, and IIRC, there's a .rpm version floating
>>about somewhere.

> Does that work with CP/M 86 hard drive partitions?

I believe it will allow you to read and write files on CP/M-86 partitions;
I cannot confirm this from personal experience, however ;).

> I wanted
> something that mounts like a traditional dos/ext2 file system. I knew
> someone in Comp.os.cpm was working on a linux filesystem. does anyone
> remember who that was?

I've crossposted this message to comp.os.cpm in the hope that someone
will be able to help you more on this.

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Unix
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:03:50 +0800

Chris Raper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I can understand that if you are a real techie and like to 'roll your
> sleeves up' and get into the OS then there is no comparison. But if
> you need to get an installation up and running quickly; and perhaps
> support it remotely, via modem; and you don't mind paying - I would
> rather have SCO.

For me, the killers are the excessive hardware requirements (it won't
like anything less than a Pentium with 16M RAM) and the very expensive
licensing costs. The poor performance merely ices the cake.

I managed to install Openserver 5.04 onto a 486DX2-66 with 16M RAM and
then dropped its RAM to 12M afterwards. Linux would have no problems with
such a configuration, but, SCO limped like a (sick) dog. Even with the
16M RAM, the install took roughly three and a half hours (this was the
non-interactive disk transfer time) while a comparable Linux install
would be about 30 minutes for similar software options.

On a price:performance basis, SCO is *not* worth considering, IMHO ;).

[comp.os.linux.setup removed from the newsgroups line]
--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ANSI term type in linux doesn't behave properly?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:13:24 +0800

DET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I telnet into linux (redhat) using ansi terminal emulation, I get a
> proper screen display but no function key or arrow key support. This
> behaviour happens with several different telnet clients, all of which work
> with other os's like SCO. I've taken a brief look at the termcap and been
> flummoxed. Any advice? (Keep it clean!)

SCO ANSI != Real ANSI.

Login to Linux from SCO:

 `export TERM=scoansi`

Login to SCO from Linux:

 `export TERM=vt100`
 `stty erase ^H`

You can, of course, automate the above into your configuration files
to load at login time -- which will save you typing in the long run ;).

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can i print a "window" (easily) :)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:36:44 +0800

btoc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i am looking for a (kiss) program that will allow me to click on a
> window and/or crop it and send it to my printer.

Probably the best for this is The GIMP. Its screen capture allows you to
capture the entire screen or a window. If you choose a window, you then
just click on the window you want captured. Then print it.  Or save it
or whatever.

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.harware
Subject: Re: es1868 under mandrake-red-hat 5.3 and 6.0
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:18:28 +0800

benoit Rolland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> could anyone help me to use  the es1868 sound card under red hat 6.0 ?
[...]
> problem is that when i reboot the computer the system claim that there
> is a I/O conflict ! and the setup/sound configuration sound is not of
> any help either,

There are a few pages out there that deal with the ESS range (including
the ESS1868), though they're not Redhat-specific.

http://www.searchlinux.com/CATEGORY/HARDWARE/SOUND_CARDS/ENSONIQ/index.html
http://www.netspace.net.au/~bmiller/linux/ess1868.html
http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~masa386/linux/Documentation/sound/ESS1868
http://it.net.au/~pc/comp/linux/ess1868.html

Best of luck.

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to capture linux install screen?
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:23:48 +0800

cliff ahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am making linux install guied (RedHat 6.0).
> I need some images from install process.
> How can I capture ?

I don't know that you can. You may need to mock up the install screens
by hand. Unless you want to go to the effort of creating your own boot
floppy and adding something that inserts something to capture a PRTSCR
and outputs to a textfile.

I have no idea if there is such an app, though. Maybe someone else here
knows of one.

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Peter Caffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: BSD Process Accounting question
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:41:43 +0800

> I have a cgi (correo.de) that executes 119 real time seconds but spends
> 51.92 cpu seconds. What I can not understand is, why sendmail spends
> almost the same amount of real seconds but much less cpu seconds. What
> is the big difference between "cp" and "re" ?

>   242      671.68re       0.52cp   httpd*
>  2049      119.07re      51.92cp   correo.de
>   842      108.00re       0.69cp   sendmail*

Because Linux is a multi-tasking operating system, it shares the CPU with
a number of other concurrent tasks. The "real time" refers to how long it
took for the operation to finish; the "CPU time" refers to how long it
would have taken to do if it had had full control of the CPU.

If you want to give a process a higher priority (so it uses more CPU at
the expense of other processes), investigate the `nice` utility with
`man nice`.

--:     _           _    _ _

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a variant of telnetd which logs in users?
Date: 07 Jul 1999 20:25:14 -0700

it's free for Unix and Linux, Mac and Windoze clients are ~$100.
There was talk of some free clients a while ago, not sure of the
status though.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
Date: 8 Jul 1999 13:16:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc John Imrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
= "Fredrich P. Maney" wrote:

= >
= > That has far more to do with the fact that Baseball was invented in the
= > USA than any sort of national egotism.

= Rugby Football was invented in England ... dito Circket.

I thought Rugby was invented in Wales...
(Probably wrong though)

Besides... What's American football but an over-complicated version of
rugby for wimps?

--
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |

From: John Imrie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 14:26:44 +0100

Darren Winsper wrote:

> > That has far more to do with the fact that Baseball was invented in the
> > USA than any sort of national egotism.
>
> You have a funny definition of invented.  It looks more like a
> derivative of rounders to me.

No. No. No.   Base ball and Rounders are fundermentaly different.

You can play rounders for the price of a small round ball. (it you are prepared to
use a stick as a bat).

Base ball requires vast amounts of mony spent on shirts, caps, bats etc :)