  Re: IBM Internet Connection vs. Linux (kppp) (Bob Martin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: RAID1 Questions
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:54:07 GMT

It turns out that my kernel was not updated with the most current RAID
patch.  Afterwhich, I was able to make the RAID devices.  My current
problem is that RAID is not being autodetected on reboot.  I had
autodetection configured in the kerenel....The docs say that you need
to change the partition type to fd in order for autodetection to work.
fd is not listed in the partition type list.  Am I missing something?

Also, in order to rewrite lilo.conf to the new device, I have to
unmount my current /boot mount and mount the raid partion's /boot.  How
can I unmount my /boot if it is currently busy?

Thanks..

Phil

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 10:50:17 +1000
From: Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Netscape 4.61

> again i agree with the idea, but the particular example bugs me. i found
> netscape much more reliable

really? I found IE4 very unstable, especially for ftp and Java. But not
IE5. It hasn't crashed once since I installed it when it first came out,
and even on serious Java pages.

> IE5: i preffer lynx

which is fine, but many of us rather `enjoy' the multimedia experience
of the fancier browsers. Check out http://www.joecartoon.com/ with a
shockwave capable browser, and you'll know what I mean ;)

> MS-Office: vi will do

ha! fair enough, each to his own I suppose.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Subject: Re: Question: where can I download any LINUX?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 01:05:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Heeeeeeeez back! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Alexander Berezhnoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>
>> I have quetion about SUBJ. Better - smolest version.
>
>> (sorry for my bad English...)
>
> http://www.redhat.com (or is it org?)
Org? I wish.

> http://www.linux.org
> http://www.freshmeat.net
neither of these two have linux iirc, but are great for beginning with linux

Certainly, most of them (if not all) linked on www.linux.org

> Of course, if your planning on downloading a full distribution, it might be
> an idea to pick up a cheap CD instead. Distributions usually wiegh in in the
> 1 - 2 gigabyte range, or more.
Well, mostly 1 cd is enough, but still, unless you have a dedicated line,
I'd go for the cd.

--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert S Laramee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.help
Subject: Java Colors on Red Hat Linux 6.0
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:11:17 -0400

I'm having a problem with drawing (or painting rather) different colors
in
Java on Red Hat Linux 6.0.  We're using the Kaffe compiler and the
updated
jdk117_v3 (java version "1.1.7B").  The problem is, the only lines I can

paint are black.  I can't get any of the colors to work.  I can however,

set the background color of the canvas to any color.  Not that it will
help, but i'm using the following bit of code:

import java.awt.*;
public void paint(Graphics g)  {

    g.setColor(Color.orange);

    /*  map the viewpoint to the current world coordinates */
    mappedPoint = tree.mapViewPoint(eyePoint);

   /** tell the tree do draw itself here */
    tree.displayTree(tree.getRoot(), mappedPoint);
}

Nothing I do with setColor() will work!  It used to work on the previous

version of Red Hat Linux (and their window manager).  And this has been
the case ever since we installed Red Hat Linux 6.0.  Is there any
documentation on this?  Does anyone have a clue what the problem might
be?
Is anyone else having this trouble?

Also, is there away to set the amount of virtual memory the JVM may use.

(I know how to set the heap size).

-cheers, bob

--
Robert S Laramee             tel:    (603) 868-7831
14 McDaniel Drive            office: (603) 862-0350

------------------------------

From: Carl Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Capturing video from a digital camcorder/camera through the serial port
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:07:32 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999, Dr. Ram Samudrala wrote:
>Is there any software for Linux out there that can capture video or
>still images from a digital camera through the serial port?   I have a
>JVC camcorder and there exists a Windows program that can capture
>still images through the serial port.
>
>Thanks.

I found a package called gphoto that works eith my camera but I don't recall
the URL for it. May it was freshmeat.net

Carl

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting w/o root pass
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 19:06:12 -0500

Vidar Andersen wrote:

> Hi !
> Hmmz, I'm having _some_ trouble booting, when I lost my root pass :(
> So what I did, was asking around, how I could work around the problem, since
> I have "fysical access" to my computer..
> (I used SuSE 6.0 at the time..)
> I got several tips.. (at LILO BOOT (and my linux-partition was named
> "linux"))
>
> Linux S
> Linux Single
> Linux 1

linux single

works for us.

Under RedHat 5.2/6.0 at least, this won't require a password
unless you specified in lilo.conf that it do so.  The default
configuration does not so specify.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GDP
Date: 3 Aug 1999 19:39:18 -0400

On 3 Aug 1999 21:17:43 GMT, Richard Kulisz wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>IOW, trends in the GDP correlate with trends in unemployment.
>
>IOW, if your economy is based on slavery then the GDP is useful.

The social consequences of high unemployment are not something one
can just brush aside and ignore. No one wants to be unemployed.
A society with double digit unemployment is not a happy society,
slavery or no slavery.

>But the GDP doesn't tell you anything more than

.... I never said it did.

>>Leisure, health and the environment are very hard to measure.
>
>This is no excuse.

I never said it was.

> Assigning them a value of *ZERO* is vastly >more inaccurate

This is like saying that literacy rates are useless because they
assign a value of zero to infant mortality rates. The GDP is not
meant to be a complete picture of an economies well being.

>>The mistake that the conservatives ( or at least the "economic
>>rationalists" ) seem guilty of is a tendency to simply ignore
>>these things and concentrate on getting "good numbers".
>
>Yes. And what "numbers" are you referring to if not the GDP? It's
>simpler to just say the GDP is useless.

But it's not useless. It's a good indicator of unemployment trends, and
can be quite useful for forecasting unemployment figures.

Of course there are other numbers that economists use.
Annual GDP growth, inflation, budget deficits, foreign debt, tax revenue,
export/import growth, unemployment rates, interest rates, exchange
rate, etc etc.

Note that I point to all of these numbers because they (by and large)
only deal with the flow of money in and out of the national economy, but
do not address wealth distribution or the living standards of ordinary
people. My point is that conservative economists have invented an entire
*language* that dismisses the plight of ordinary people.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: Linux Games
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 21:41:51 GMT

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 17:47:22 GMT, Michael John wrote:

> [ ... ]
> What I'd like is some feedback on the games you all play.
> I have an overclocked P200MMx (to 225) and a voodoo 4 meg card as well.
> Please post your favourite games as this will immensly help a project of
> mine.
> Thank you very much!!
> Michael

Quake, QuakeWorld, Quake II, Q3A Test (soon to be the full
blown Quake 3: Arena, hopefully). My Machine is an ancient
P166 w/ 64MB and a Pure3D II (12 MB Voodoo^2).

HTH,
Thomas
--
=---        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        ---=
=--   "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw." M.C.   --=

------------------------------

From: David Frantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Java makes Netscape crash
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:26:10 -0400

jamie wrote:

> Rado Faletic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> www.uproar.com/picthis
> >
> >I'm running 4.51 on a SGI Octane running IRIX 6.5.4 and I have no
> >problem with this site. Occassionally I get a crash due to Java, but
> >actually quite rarely. It must be a Linux thing. Same on the Mac, not
> >very many Java crashed.
>
> It may be a Linux java thing, or a Linux java libc5 thing.  Roughly
> half the time Netscape hangs, closes itself, or spawns 30 or so "Xlib:
> unexpected ASYNX reply" error windows while loading the game.  The other
> half of the time it works fine, but might suddenly do any of the above
> during the game or especially when opening/switching to another Netscape
> window.
>
> The only thing I have been able to rule out is KDE, since it does the
> same thing under fvwm and WindowMaker.  (I've also tried almost every
> Netscape 4.x libc5 version, makes no difference).
>
> --
>   jamie  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>                 "There's a seeker born every minute."

jamie;

I've been running under gnome with the same problems.     To be honest I'm
not even sure its a Java problem as some sites work fine.     I haven't
checked in depth what is going on, I just know its very frustrating when
you can't get on to a site that should be straight forward.

Its a bit of a shame since I like the navigator 4.6 interface.

dave

------------------------------

From: Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: APS-UPS for Linux?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 01:19:57 GMT

Hi all
Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
Windoez.

TIA
PH

--
NT, now approaching 23x6 availability

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux reference OR bOOK
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 20:22:49 GMT

On Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:14:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Rod Smith) wrote:

>>I have.  O'Reilly tends to leave their books for years without updating
>them, so they lose relevance over time.  For instance, the O'Reilly book,

what about linux in a nutshell ?
i was thinking of buying it.
A sedentary life, as I have already said elsewhere, is the real sin against the Holy
Ghost.
-Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Vicherek)
Crossposted-To: uw.linux
Subject: Re: a (GUI) spreadsheet with Perl API ?
Date: 4 Aug 1999 00:58:20 GMT

 Thx for the tip, tho at the moment it seems that so far only Tcl and
scheme is supported .  Better than nothing, but to integrate it with
my existing stuff, I would have to rewrite everything ...

   I've sent a note into their mailing list of anybody knows anything
about a perl extension ...

    Thx,

       Jan

------------------------------

From: Captain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.irc.questions
Subject: Re: Good IRC client for Linux?
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:04:23 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Captain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I use a client called cIRCus.  Like others its not as good as mIRC, but
>>>you get a similar interface to mIRC, a window for each channel, private
>>>conversation or dcc session, just no scripting....... but if you're that
>>>desperate, you can always edit the code ;)
>
>"As good as mIRC"?!?
>
>Find me an IRC client as good as OPENCHAT and I'm sold! :>

I run it under SuSE 6.1 now (can't get it to compile) but the supplied
files work fine, and looking at it it does allow tcl scripts :))

The user doc is poor :(( but do a search for circus irc and give it a
try if you are bored one wet evening!

OPENCHAT?? I'll give this a search ;)

--
Capt
Admin for london.uk.eu.dreamwave.org:6667

------------------------------

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Help on WVDial
Date: 3 Aug 1999 20:33:12 -0500

biabi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just setup my internet dialup using wvdial-1.20-38 from SuSE-6.1
> distro.  Everything works just find, except after I terminated the
> wvdial and tried to use kppp, it said modem is in used.  Does anyone
> have any idea how to fix this problem?

I think that you have to choose one or the other. Anyhow once
someone has used wvdial I don't understand how he would want to
use kppp.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access

------------------------------

From: "Joffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.dev.config,no.it.os.unix.linux.diverse,no.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Apache and ASP
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 03:26:19 +0200

www.cpan.org has the Apache::ASP module...
I've installed it.. but no luck yet...

-joffer

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Robert J. Schweikert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple Newbie questions
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 23:35:21 +0000

Netscape?

Try typing netscape at a command prompt. if that doesn't work it's
prbably not there. then you can download it from
http://www.netscape.com, jsut follow the "Download links". Then unzip
and untar the file, ther you are. If you move or copy the netscape
executable into your /usr/bin directory you'll be all set.

Video display?
Check out the http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

Windows 98 clone?
There is no direct access to Windoze 98, however, there is a windows
emulator project goining on, check out
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/os/linux/answers/windows-emulation/wine-faq

search for WINE in Yahoo and follow the links.

Have fun,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert

From: "Tom Emerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Magic SysRq (was Re: Linux has finally crashed)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:22:29 -0700

William Burrow wrote in message ...
>On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:13:39 GMT,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:16:12 -0700, Tom Emerson
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>An interesting thing about this is that the net effect of all of this
>>is that the user does not actually communicate directly to the
>>mainframe; all communications goes through that "terminal controller"
>>proxy.
>
>Modern PCs are WinComputers to mainframers. :)  (Like WinModems....)

heheheh -- I used to get a good laugh out of the look on people's faces when
I tell them "all we use a PC around here is to connect to the 'real'
computer..."

>>With mainframe systems, changes are collected up at the "client end."
>>That 327x terminal is "smart enough" to allow you to do a fair bit of
>>editing of text and so forth aboard the terminal.
>>
>>When you press "RETURN," all of those changes are collected together
>>into a single block of data.
>
>I once worked on a puny HP3000 of late 80's vintage.  This machine had
>60 people hanging off it in the morning, while processing dozens of
>database requests.  Response time for editing was excellent, however.
>Mostly due to the fact that the hardware had (and used) blocking IO for
>the terminals.

Hmmm... "puny HP3000", "late 80's" -- that would be either the "mighty
mouse" [series 37?] or a tried-and-true series III -- my first "computer"
job was with a series III and a series 48 as a "timeshare" business --
leased lines and all.  (considering the series 48/58 was an entire DESK as
the "computer", I don't think this qualifies as "puny")  We eventually
started selling the series 37 mini-filing-cabinet system to companies as
stand-alone versions of our entire time-share-based accounting system -- as
configured they would manage between 8 and 16 concurrent users for data
entry, and actually used "curses-style" I/O rather than more traditional
"block mode"  (the difference being that the "mainframe" dealt with data a
field at a time rather than a screen at a time, but at least this is better
than dealing with things "a keystroke at a time...")

[then again, you might be talking about a series 44 -- same internal design
as a 48, but only half the size/capacity -- it looked like a compact washing
machine...]

>In comparison, a much more powerful similar vintage VAX with polling IO
>would be unusable for editing with just 30 people logged on.  DECserver
>terminal controllers were the order of the day for that installation.
>Much more efficient.
>

>Is anybody up for designing FreeMVS?  It seems a real pity to let the
>era of mainframe machines slip away to big backroom servers that only
>grizzled COBOL programmers get to use.... ;)

Who you calling grizzled? :) [ok, so what if I do have the beard for the
part???]

(oh, and BTW, "fujitsu" makes a pc-based version of Cobol, inlcuding [get
this] "visual" cobol...)

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Internet Connection vs. Linux (kppp)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:43:10 +0000

Kyler Laird wrote:

> I've been using IBM as a dialup provider for years,
> but I only use it when I'm on the road.  (At home
> I use ADSL/ISDN/cable IP.)  Today I was trying to
> use it (after successfully using it last week) and
> found that kppp kept dying right after connecting.
>
> Sometimes this happens when someone else is using
> my account.  (I let a friend use it sometimes.)
> It persisted, though, so I called IBM for help.  I
> was finally (after long waits) told that no one
> else was using it and that the reason I could not
> login was that I was using Linux.
>
> The support person told me that they'd changed
> their DNS server and that it caused manually-
> configured systems to be unable to login.  I told
> her I don't care about her DNS servers (I use my
> own.) and would like to speak with someone who
> knows more about PPP.  She told me that everyone
> else would say the same thing and that all she
> could do is send me Linux connection info.
>
> Grrrrr...
>
> So, I decided to stop using kppp because I was
> not able to get any useful diagnostics from it.
> (Yes, I had debug/kdebug on.)  I made all of the
> config files for plain pppd and I was able to
> connect without a hitch.  (And, no, I'm still
> not using IBM's DNS.)
>
> So...what gives?  What did IBM do to break kppp
> and why won't they just tell us?  Their Linux
> PPP setup document
>         http://help.ibm.net/helplib/linuxp.html
> was last updated in February, so it doesn't
> offer any help.
>
> I like having the command-line PPP dialup
> working, but kppp was pretty cool.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --kyler

Sounds like the kppp is buggy from what people have been posting, it's
hard to tell as I have never used it. I just edit the config files from
the command line and run a chat script to connect. No problem unless the
ISP is having problems, router went down and couldn't get past the
dialup server.