Linux-Misc Digest #316, Volume #21                Sat, 7 Aug 99 01:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: users can't mount cdrom (Robert V. Grizzard)
  Re: COMMERCIAL: Micro-ATX Linux Boxes from Sunset Systems (Rod Roark)
  Re: Sound Blaster PCI128 Sound Card with Mandrake 6.0 (Mike Simos)
  Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!? (Steve - RH Linux User)
  Re: Installing Staroffice 5.1 on Slackware 4.0 (Mike Trettel)
  Re: /etc/bashrc file (Big Daddy)
  Re: XFree86 : Trident 9750 3DImage. (David Pace)
  Re: Add Compaq LJ700 printer and what quality (David Pace)
  Re: Printing on Linux (DHobbs)
  Re: Printing on Linux (DHobbs)
  Re: APS-UPS for Linux? (fred smith)
  Re: helping the Third World (Richard Kulisz)
  Re: Converting from vfat to fat32 (John McKown)
  Re: GNOME log-out (notbob)
  Re: guaranteed annual income (Richard Kulisz)
  Re: How to download Linux? (Ed Wilts)
  Re: Cyrix MII processor (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: where to get package recode (John McKown)
  Re: guaranteed annual income (Richard Kulisz)
  Re: Boot-up error messages (David Pace)
  Re: "starve the rotten little bastards" (Richard Kulisz)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert V. Grizzard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: users can't mount cdrom
Date: 7 Aug 1999 00:17:35 GMT

In article <37acc7aa.51838156@news-server>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:35:19 -0400, "gus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I ain't the big linux expert, but as a Net Admin in a corporate environment
>>with 150+ users, there are arguable reasons for making it difficult to
>>freely use CD-ROMs:
>
><snip>
>
>I agree with leaving in the flexibility and it is needed, but I
>am speaking about the desktop arena, which is not the same as the
>large network arena.
>
>Linux is useless in the desktop arena because it has far too much
>uneeded complexity.  Making easy ways to do things for desktop
>users will in no way diminish Linux's power and flexibility.  The
>complexity and power would still be there, but users would have a
>choice in doing things the easy, default way or the harder more
>flexible way.

May I make a *small* suggestion, Jeff?

If you don't like the way the "mainstream Linux distros" do it, why not
release your own?

You could call it, "Jeff's Way" and go IPO like Red Hat just did once it
became well-known.

OBTW, how many responses have ytou \gotten to your query from Red
Hat/Slackware/Su

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COMMERCIAL: Micro-ATX Linux Boxes from Sunset Systems
Date: 7 Aug 1999 01:08:03 GMT

Tony Beaumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Sunset Systems announces brand-new availability of Celeron-based
>> Linux boxes in high quality AOpen Micro-ATX tower cases measuring
>> only 14x7x14 inches.
>
>You fail to mention the physical location of Sunset Systems. I'm looking for
>a Linux box supplier in the UK.

The web site does provide the address... we're in Arizona, USA.
Sorry.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Mike Simos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster PCI128 Sound Card with Mandrake 6.0
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 01:58:46 GMT

Jeff Strunk wrote:

> When I run Red Hat's sndconfig, it detects that I have a PCI128 installed but
> gives an error when it tries to test it.
>
> sox: Effect '/dev/dsp' is not known!

Try doing ls -l /dev/dsp if it says No such file or directory. Then
change to /dev and type MKDEV audio

Mike

------------------------------

From: Steve - RH Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:04:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Greetings all. You are my last Court of Appeals.
>
> I just got off the phone with Gateway.net (the ISP side) trying to get
> an DNS IP address so that I can fill in the blanks in my resolv.conf
> file. What frustration!
>
> I have installed Debian (Hamm), and "pon" will dial Gateway.net, and I
> can even log-in. (Gateway doesn't hang up on me, anyway.) But Netscape
> can't find it's way outside of my computer because I have no DNS IP's.
>
> Gateway.net says they "no longer use" DNS IP addresses.
> I hardly think this is true.
>
> Is there _ANYONE_ out there (Please!) that uses Gateway.net as their
> ISP with Linux?!? If so, please e-mail me a usable DNS IP.
>
> Please assist! This is the last hurdle I need to jump before
> eliminating Win95 from my hard drive!
>
> Otherwise, (and my absolute LAST choice)
> can someone recommend a "Linux Friendly" ISP?
> (i.e., Someone who doesn't mind giving out their DNS IP's.)
>
> Thanx--
> james carpenter
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On a Linux machine, you just type "whois gateway.net" to get all
kinds of good info:

Registrant:
Gateway 2000, Inc. (GATEWAY16-DOM)
   610 Gateway Drive Y-04
   North Sioux City, SD 57049-2000

   Domain Name: GATEWAY.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      Corporate Hostadmin  (CH321-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      18008462000
Fax- 16052322614
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Corporate Hostmaster  (CH322-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      18008462000
Fax- 16052321315
   Billing Contact:
      Corporate Hostadmin  (CH321-ORG)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      18008462000
Fax- 16052322614

   Record last updated on 10-Apr-99.
   Record created on 23-Sep-97.
   Database last updated on 6-Aug-99 03:54:49 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   DNS1.GATEWAY.COM             63.66.78.33
   DNS2.GATEWAY.COM             63.66.78.35

  Since you're obviously trying to get a Linux box working, then the
"universal" solution is to telnet to internic.net and login as whois...
anyway, you used to be able to do that.  I'm not 100% sure you still
can.  I just tried and all I got was "Trying 198.41.0.6..."
Hmmm...

--
Steve Ackman
Manager, New Age Forum                     http://www.delphi.com/newage

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Trettel)
Subject: Re: Installing Staroffice 5.1 on Slackware 4.0
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 02:27:23 GMT

On 05 Aug 1999 23:05:01 -0700, Noah Roberts (jik-) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Trettel) writes:
>
>> I'm trying to install SO 5.1 on slack 4.0, and keep getting a segfault
>> when I run the install script.  Glibc 2.0.7 is installed properly, as per
>> the SO 5.1 directions, so I imagine some other library is out of whack,
>> and/or some link somewhere is incorrect.  Any pointeres and/or tips would
>> be appreciated.
>
>rm /lib/libpthread.so.0
>ln -s /lib/libpthread-0.7.so /lib/libpthread.so.0
>
>You will have to do this every time you reboot unless you remove the
>other libpthread.

That works nicely.  Thank you!
--
===========
Mike Trettel    trettel (Shift 2) fred (dinky little round thing) net

I don't buy from spammers.  No exceptions.  Fix the reply line to mail me.

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: /etc/bashrc file
Date: 7 Aug 1999 03:20:30 GMT

Scribbling furiously, Jose managed to write....
: I know that the /etc/bashrc file can be used if the for "system wide"
: initializing before the person logs into the the system, but is there
: a file I can use for when the person logs out?  I don't want to use
: the files that are in the person's home directory.

So far as individual accounts go, I've got a .bash_logout file, which is
executed upon logout... Perhaps create one in /etc?

--
Big Daddy

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: XFree86 : Trident 9750 3DImage.
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:08:48 -0400

Gorka wrote:

> My graphic card is a "Trident 9750 3DImage" with 4Mb and I can't
> configure X-Windows to work with it. In the list of drivers of the
> installation program this card does not appear and when I choose another
> one, the monitor switches off when running startx ( and I heard an
> extrange noise )...
>
> Could anyone help me???,
>
> Thanks Anyway,
>
> GPA

Check out:

http://www.Xfree86.org

to see if your card has a driver.

--
Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.linux.os,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Add Compaq LJ700 printer and what quality
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:34:59 -0400

Richard Nunez wrote:

> I have a question or two.  I want to setup a linux box to serve a few
> computers for home use.  I want to know what would the quality of printing
> be if I would let my Linux box server as a print server to a Compaq LJ700
> Color Printer.  Right now I have it shared off of my NT box.

Check out ghostscript and see if it has drivers for that printer.
If yes, then the quality will probably be excellent.

> I know I could just put some sort of box and have all the computers
> connected with parallel cables, but I know that is overkill.  I also have an
> HP DeskJet 520 (black & white) and I know the quality is of no consiquence
> since I use it only for printing B/W and text documents.
>
> P.S.  Could someone point me to someone or document that isn't so
> technically inclined so I get this box up as a proxy server so my wife and I
> can both use the internet at the same time.

Here it is:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade-2.html#ss2.1

From: DHobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Printing on Linux
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 10:50:19 -0400

K Kal wrote:

> Linux Gurus,
>      Does anyone know how to configure a printer on LINUX??  All I know
> is the printer's IP address.  Can anyone help?
>
> I have RedHat6.0
>
> I've downloaded a printcap file which I place in the /etc directory.
> This seems to do the job only when I print from the console, i.e.:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html

Dan

------------------------------

From: DHobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 10:51:31 -0400

K Kal wrote:

> Linux Gurus,
>      Does anyone know how to configure a printer on LINUX??  All I know
> is the printer's IP address.  Can anyone help?
>
> I have RedHat6.0
>
> I've downloaded a printcap file which I place in the /etc directory.
> This seems to do the job only when I print from the console, i.e.:
>
> lpr <filename>
>
> but in ineffective when I try to print from applications like
> StarOffice.

I just posted the printing how-to, but you might also consider using
'printtool' as root and seeing what you can get going.

Dan

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fred smith)
Subject: Re: APS-UPS for Linux?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 01:10:36 GMT

Dennis Burke ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 01:19:57 GMT, Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >Hi all
: >Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
: >during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
: >Windoez.
: >
: >TIA
: >PH

The software that comes with Tripplite UPSes works with Linux. AFter you
figure out that:
1. the install script is broken
2. if you have your kernel set up to do IP Masquerading you need to
modify the kernel and recompile since their software wants to use
one of the same ports as IP Masq.

Neither of which is documented, you have to cry to tech support and
they will then tell you how to make it work.

The stuff will work as either a 'server' (i.e., runs on the machine
whose serial port is connected to the UPS) or as a client (i.e., runs
on a machine other than that one, but which is networked with the
server). The client and server can be different OSes.

So, once I got the server working on Linux, I then tried to run the
client on the Windoze box. Needless to say it didn't work. Off to
tech support again who came thru with the procedure to make it work.
Basically (again!) the install is broken so you have to hack at it
a bit.

But once it is all done it seems to work nicely.

The same software supposedly also works with a number of other manufacturers'
UPSes, including APC, though I've not tried it with one. You can download
it from the tripplite web site, though I don't recall for sure but there
may be a charge if you're not a registered owner.

Fred

: APC promises to have some Linux software for shutoff.  Have you check their
: site?  They advertise this in the bulletins they send out.  I checked a
: couple of months ago and it was not ready yet.  Maybe soon?
: Dennis
: --
: Dennis Burke        %        http://notCH.mathstat.muohio.edu
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      %       Office PH: 513 529 3508
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      %     FAX: 513 529 1493

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: helping the Third World
Date: 7 Aug 1999 03:40:03 GMT

In article <LDHq3.14$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>MK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>Or labor
>> theory of value, i.e. that the labor value is the price minus the
>> gross profit. By the LTV, the more expensive product contains more
>> value, so it should be preferred.
>
>This does not seem to be true, and I don't know where you get it from marx,

What's hilarious is that the Labour Theory of Value is implicit in the
GDP. The GDP basically measures the total labour invested by the nation
and assumes that this is a Good Thing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: Converting from vfat to fat32
Date: 7 Aug 1999 04:00:01 GMT

On 06 Aug 1999 20:03:16 GMT, Harvey Scobie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I know that Linux supports fat32. What I would like to know is if it possible
>to convert an existing windows partitioned drive to fat32  and what effect if
>any this would have on the Linux partitions.

The vfat in Linux supports fat32 as well as the older fat16. I don't know
of a Linux utility which will convert a fat16 to fat32. Perhaps the latest
fips? Partition Magic will do a convert-in-place. I think that Windows98
comes with a way to do it also.

Converting a Windows partition from fat16 to fat32 will not effect any
Linux partitions.

John

------------------------------

From: notbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GNOME log-out
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:45:18 GMT

I first ran into this same problem w/ Redhat's Gnome .99 beta (5.2)
release.  It was guaranteed.  The more times I used Gnome's desktop, the
more features I lost and the more often it would freeze up.  Eventually,
the whole gui would fail to boot and I would have to create a new user
account to get a good gui.  The failures would soon follow.

I have had no problem's with RH's 6.0 release as long as I stick with
Gnome's desktop.  I changed to the fvwm desktop for one user account and
the failures with that account began to appear.

I suggest you stick w/ gnome, or go to Mandrake 6.0 w/ KDE, which I now
prefer.

enjoy  =D
nb

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: guaranteed annual income
Date: 7 Aug 1999 03:41:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jo  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The both of you are talking about two different social systems. Social
>security in countries like Holland and Belgium is totally different from
>social security in the States,

What the hell are you talking about? We are *both* talking about
Europe since there isn't any social security in the States.

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to download Linux?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:23:49 GMT

Ted R Shoemaker wrote:

> I'm new at this and have a couple of questions...
>
> 1.  Somebody referred me to a website from which I can download linux.
> I checked there, and the download is around 500 megs.  That's not
> realistic for me.  Please tell me that most of that 500 megs is
> "application", and only 20 megs or so is true "linux OS".  If so,
> how/where can I get the 20 megs of "true linux"?

Well, you can download just the kernel, but what are you going to do
with it?  You won't have a shell, you won't have any utilities to
connect to the net, you won't be able to print, etc...

My recommendation, if you're trying to cut costs yet still play with
Linux is to go to http://www.linuxmall.com.  They sell distributions
there for $1.89.  I've personally purchased one (RH 5.2 last year) and
it really is the complete distribution.  You'll also pay $5 for shipping
and handling.  If you purchase anything valued over $11, you can get a
distro for free.  A Linux book might be useful.

> 2.  Right now I'm running Windows 98.  If I download linux onto my
> windows-formatted HDD, how can I then use the linux?  Or, in the
> alternative, how can I format a HDD for linux ... *before* I have linux?

You'll need to create a partition for Linux.  If you've got Partition
Magic, use that.  Alternatively, you can use FIPS to move some stuff
around so that a partition can be peeled off your live W98 distro.  Your
other choice would be to buy a low-cost drive (check
http://www.pricescan.com and you'll find a 3.2GB drive for $72.95) and
you'll have a new drive with oodles of space plus a complete Linux
distribution for less than you'd pay for a Windows upgrade.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Cyrix MII processor
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:10:04 GMT

Chetan Ahuja ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
:    Are there any known issues with the Cyrix MII processors running linux?
: I am noticing strange breakdowns of bzip2 decompressions using the
: tomsrtbt distro ( its a small floppy based distribution) on a machine
: with Cyrix MII 300,  48 MB RAM and no swap. ( But I think bzip2 works with
: a block at a time and hence doesn't require much RAM right ??) The file I
: am decompressing is rather large ( about 40 Megs)
:
:  I'll run more experiments with different sized files later but  I just
: wanted to check whether there's  a commonly known problem with this
: CPU...
:
: I have checked the bzipped file and it expands OK using another machine
:  with a Celeron. The Cyrix  processor seems to work OK in other respects.
:  I don't know whether the tomsrtbt has ben compiled with p5 or p6
: optimizations or not. But even if it was, aren't the latest Cyrix and AMD
: processors instruction by instructions compatible with the Intel p5/p6
: architecture???

In my home, I have several PCs, and they all use Cyrix processors of varying
speeds.  I bought a new motherboard and 300Mhz MII processor and installed it
in mine, took out the PR233 6x86MX and put it in my wife's PC, and took out
her PR166 6x86MX.  That's all that I changed.  Her PC hasn't worked right
since then, even though the processor in her machine had been running in my
machine for over a year.

Well, I noticed that the fan on the PR166 was a lot smaller than the fan on
the PR233, so I shut her machine down put a larger fan on it, and severely
burned my fingers in the process.  It turns out that since the heatsink and
fan weren't large enough for the PR233, it "burned up".  I put the PR166 back
in, and it works just fine.  Likewise, I put the 300Mhz MII  in it, and it
works just fine, too (although the motherboard will only run it as a 266Mhz).

The moral of the story is to make sure that you have LOTSA heatsink and fan on
the processor.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: where to get package recode
Date: 7 Aug 1999 04:00:03 GMT

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999 16:57:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would like to use the commands dos2unix and unix2dos and what I

I got that in the rpm package dos2unix-3.1-2.i386.rpm . I'm fairly sure that
I got this package from http://metalab.unc.edu and then searched their
ftp archive. I think (but am not sure) that this was in
/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/contrib/libc6/i386

Hope this helps,
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 7 Aug 1999 04:12:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.T.Z. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Kulisz schreef:
>> If people are dying in a tidal wave, are you gonna complain they didn't
>> "do a single thing to get" to higher ground?
>
>You know much better then to place this comment.

Do I? Unemployment is just as much a force of nature as a tidal wave; it
is inescapable, crushing and inhuman. You complain about people who "don't
do all they can" to escape their situation. *BULLSHIT*!

There is a maximum number of goods most people will consume, there is a
plateau to the total amount of goods consumed by society and this fact
should be obvious; most people will be satisfied with adequate food,
shelter, clothing for themselves and their family. But Consumerism is
predicated on society wanting and consuming an infinite amount of goods.

So the facts are that
        1) the total amount of goods consumed by society is fixed,
                has plateaued (if you ignore developing nations).
        2) productivity is still rising, and will continue to rise
                forever.

What this means is that in order to /produce/ this total amount of
goods consumed by the whole of society, there is less and less need
for labour. What it *should* mean is that everyone works less and
keeps the same standard of living but what it *actually* means is
that some portion of the population becomes unemployed. And because
productivity will rise forever, this segment of the population will
rise as a proportion of the whole population.

Unemployment is real and it is inescapable. Most people realize that
from their own personal experience. The only option available to
people is to fight against each other for the shrinking number of
jobs available, and that's what you want them to do; to become anti-
social monsters who "do all they can" to secure a job.

>> And this "everything", does it involve organ selling, pushing drugs, or
>> prostitution?
>
>Do I really have to spell it out for you. Alright, someone should do everything
>but may not do anything which is against the law.

Whoring out for your boss is not against the law. Neither is selling your
body for medical research in the USA; I saw a news article where a woman
was proud of the "ingenious" ways she got health coverage, it was fucking
horrifying!!

>> And you determine this how? "Hmmm, I don't think I like your face ..."
>
>No by clear regulation a person must write at least x (I think it is 10, but
>I'm not sure) letters in one month. Perhaps you don't like this.

Perhaps I think it's futile, braindead and demeaning. Perhaps I think
unemployed people should be encouraged to better themselves instead of
forcing them to *BEG* and *GROVEL*!

It's obvious from your attitude that you think being unemployed makes
someone Total Scum, and you don't think unemployed people catch on
to your attitude?

>> So your proposed solution is to beat people. If they aren't sufficiently
>> obsequious then you whip them until they are.
>
>HUH

"Social security" in capitalist nations is just a system to prevent
the poor from dying and to force them into the labour pool so they
can push down workers' wages.

You complain about people who "don't get a real job" and instead of
trying to help them better themselves so they *can* get one, your
proposal amounts to starving them out. You're just a modern-day
slave-master.

>> Helping people get jobs is possible, but it takes a lot of money; a
>> hell of a lot more money than the pittance "welfare" gives people.
>> So on the one hand, you're complaining about people being on welfare
>> but the only reason they're on welfare is because you're a selfish
>> stingy rat bastard.
>
>You can help by not giving to much money if they're unemployed. This causes

You think people *want* to remain unemployed? You scorn them and tell
them they should be ashamed of themselves and now you're going to treat
them like *ANIMALS* who can't think for themselves?! You evil-minded
selfish turd!

>some people to stop searching for a job. If you are unemployed you can get
>education and the government reduces the cost if you hire people who are
>unemployed for more then one year.

The starving have hospitals and prisons so your conscience is clean, is
that your position? You don't seem to be getting my point you stingy rat
bastard; *it* *isn't* *enough*! Besides, why the fuck should business get
the tax breaks?!

>What is inhuman and immoral if you require people who have good health and are

The total lack of any human dignity. The scorn and shame you heap on them.
Your treating unemployed people like *animals* who can't think for themselves;
who can't be given too much food lest they become fat and lazy. Your treating
all of the bloody population as amounting to nothing more than robots whose
value is measured in their Job instead of as human beings.

>unemployed to do everything to get a job. Well, NOTHING. If they don't want to

Like I said, you're an inhuman immoral creature with no empathy whatsoever
for the plight of your fellows.

>find a job then it is their own choiche and I think they shouldn't get more
>money from the government then the minimum required to stay alive. And perhaps
>they shouldn't get money at all.

You should've conceded the point and just admitted "Yes, I am selfish scum."

------------------------------

From: David Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Boot-up error messages
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:13:18 -0400

Ray wrote:

> I don't know why, but I'm suddenly getting the following error
> messages when I boot up my Linux (i'm using SuSE 6.1):
>
> Setting up      /etc/ld.so.cache        failed
> Initializing random number generator    failed
>
> and when I shut down, I get a *slew* of error messages (all of which
> pass by too fast for me to write down).  Can anyone explain to me what
> the above error messages mean?  Is my Linux install screwed?  Will I
> have to start from scratch all over again (not a disaster, but not
> desirable, either)?
>
> TIA,
> Ray

i messed up the /etc/ld* and /lib/ld* files once by running
some utility that is supposed to properly edit them but
instead it damages them.

I was lucky enough to have a copy of them
on another machine and I booted with a floppy
and over-wrote them.
Otherwise, I would have had to do a re-install.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: "starve the rotten little bastards"
Date: 7 Aug 1999 04:27:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.T.Z. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Richard Kulisz schreef:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.T.Z. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is inhuman and immoral if you require people who have good health and are
>unemployed to do everything to get a job. Well, NOTHING. If they don't want to
>find a job then it is their own choiche and I think they shouldn't get more
>money from the government then the minimum required to stay alive. And perhaps
>they shouldn't get money at all.

And what if they have kids? Oh, but that's Not Your Problem; sins of the
father and all that. Or maybe you want a special dispensation for families;
but that would just encourage those dirty welfare people to breed, wouldn't
it? Ahhh, that's the solution; forced sterilization!! All the problems are
solved that way, aren't they?