Linux-Misc Digest #325, Volume #21                Sat, 7 Aug 99 22:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux has finally crashed (James Knott)
  Re: NC like program (Norton Commander) (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: Max files sizes under ext2? (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: NC like program (Norton Commander) (Stefan Ehlen)
  Re: NC like program (Norton Commander) ("Donald E. Stidwell")
  Re: I think I have a convert IF.... (Robert Heller)
  Re: Linux assembly, etc (brian moore)
  Re: APS-UPS for Linux? (Cokey de Percin)
  NC like program (Norton Commander) ("c64")
  Re: Evergreen Spectra Processor Upgrade and Linux? (Cokey de Percin)
  Random thoughts re: RH 6.0 (Kernel 2.2.x), IDE, filesystem failures... (Robert
Heller)
  Re: Howto check if Port # is block by ISP? ("Cliff")
  Re: kernel paging problem (Glitch)
  Re: How to install StarOffice 5.0 (Bob Martin)
  Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server!! (Fisch)
  Re: sethostid using redhat6.0 (kernel2.2) (Bob Martin)
  Re: X via telnet from imac to linux/intel? (Fisch)
  help recovering disk space (gcwesley)
  Re: Kernel error messages (Paul Thompson)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux has finally crashed
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 18:37:19 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku) wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:11:32 +0100, Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Isn't there some new file system on the horizon using B-trees which is
>>journalling and yet faster than ext2fs?
>
>What would be the advantage of using B-trees? They are a rather complicated
>structure.

Faster file search, which becomes important on larger drives with
lots of files.

--
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: NC like program (Norton Commander)
Date: 8 Aug 1999 00:07:54 GMT

"c64" ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Are there any Nc like program in linux. I find NC a very good tool to use.
> tks

Yes there is!

mc   (Midnight Commander)

You probably already have or can get it really easily.

man mc  for more info.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: Max files sizes under ext2?
Date: 8 Aug 1999 00:01:24 GMT

Phil Launchbury ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Hi,
> I have a problem - I am trying to back the rest of my network (2 Win98 &
> and NT server) up to my linux box.
> The problem seems to occur when the size of the backup file on the linux
> backup drive exceeds 2G - Win98 backup fails with a 'reached media
> capacity' error and NT backup just quits!
>
> Is there a max size of a file under ext2? I am running kernel 2.0.36 on a
> RH 5.1 box and something like 12G of free space on the backup partition.

I think the 2GB limit is an Intel platform problem (unlike Alpha or other
type of architectures). I am not sure how you would deal with this. Do a
search via deja.com as this issue has been raised before.

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   RULES!! * LINUX RULES *
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     Justin Willoughby

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 8 Aug 1999 00:20:33 GMT

In article <7oih49$7t8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "c64" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Are there any Nc like program in linux. I find NC a very good tool to use.
> tks

There are quite many - the best (mightiest) one I know is mc.
For an overview see http://www.linuxberg.com/conhtml/fil_managers.html
If X11 applications are OK, too, you should also have a look at
http://www.linuxberg.com/x11html/fil_managers.html

It's not complete (e.g. git and TKDesk are missing), but a good start.

CU
Stefan

------------------------------

From: "Donald E. Stidwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:13:10 GMT

c64 wrote:

> Are there any Nc like program in linux. I find NC a very good tool to use.
> tks

Use MC (Midnight Commander). It comes with every distribution I've used
except for COL 2.2. If you're an old NC addict like me, you'll have no
problem using it.

Don

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I think I have a convert IF....
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:43:52 GMT

  Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 6 Aug 1999 07:08:07 GMT, wrote :

JS> I have a customer who has a laptop computer and I am trying and failing to install
Windoze on it.
JS> I talked him into trying Linux on it ... IF... I can find a program which will run
under Linux which
JS> will convert between HTML and MS-Word/97 DOC formats.
JS>
JS> SO.... does anybody know where I can find a program that will run under Linux that
converts between
JS> HTML and MS-Word/97?

Word Perfect 8 might do that.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
Date: 7 Aug 1999 22:54:41 GMT

On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:44:49 +0200,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:30:39 GMT, JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >(This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
> >
> > Please fix your news posting software so that it does not add carriage
> > return characters to the ends of you lines.
> >

> Please fix your software, adding CR-LF is mandatory
> from rfc 977

Yes, but the original poster posted with CR-LF-CR... hence, adding a
carriage return to the end of each line.

This is not proper, though certain braindead newsreaders do it,
especially those simulated newsreaders that are merely a CGI interface
to Usenet.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: APS-UPS for Linux?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:36:58 +0000

fred smith wrote:

> Dennis Burke ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 01:19:57 GMT, Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : >Hi all
> : >Is there a program that interactes with APC-UPS to shut off the computer
> : >during power outages? The software the comes with the UPS is for
> : >Windoez.

I don't believe that the APC software is available yet; sometime in
the third quarter... probably late third quarter.

There is a GPL package - APCUPSD; current version is 3.4.7.  I'm using
it now with a Backup Pro 1400 and it works well.  I'm not sure where
the current support site it, the original one at a university is no
longer supporting it.  Try doing a search on apcupsd-3.4.7 and see
what you get.  If need be I have the rpm version if you want it.
Mail me off line if so.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Policy Management Systems Corp.  Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "c64" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: NC like program (Norton Commander)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 08:06:46 +0800

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Evergreen Spectra Processor Upgrade and Linux?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:57:27 +0000

Steve Nospam wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the Evergreen Spectra Pentium
> processor upgrade running under Linux?  I am considering this in
> conjunction with the soon to be available 400 MHz model, but am
> curious if anyone has had any problems with Linux with kernel 2.2 (or
> anything else).

I believe these are non-Intel processors.  We have several machines
at work runing RH 6.0 with no problems on an earlier version (300mhz?).
Just don't recompile for Pentium.

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Random thoughts re: RH 6.0 (Kernel 2.2.x), IDE, filesystem failures...
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:43:51 GMT

I have been following the various threads about systems being trashed
under Linux due to power failures / abrupt resets.  I have also had
private E-Mail relating to RH 6.0 (kernel 2.2.x) and *older* '486s and
low-end / old Pentium systems (which were having troubles involving
IDE I/O errors).

*I* have *never* had a file system problem created by a power failure
or hard reset with any version of Linux that was unrepairable with the
default fsck (one or two times, a manual fsck was needed and the manual
fsck had no trouble with repairs).  One note: my main home system
is 100% SCSI disks.  Most of the machines I work with at UMass are also
100% SCSI (some of the machines are running RH 6.0 w/ kernel 2.2.x).  In
a couple of cases the hard reboots were caused by something that had the
potential to serious trash the disk -- I have a SCSI Zip  drive at the
end of my external SCSI bus.  I discovered (the hard way!) that the Zip
drive needs to be powered up to provide proper termination.  On a couple
of occasions, I managed to unplug the Zip drive while looking for
something on my desk (bumped the drive and jiggled the power connector
off).  My system had no trouble recovering after a hard re-boot.  On
another occasion, I mis-inserted a RAM module -- the system kernel
panicked badly, but the disks were NOT trashed.  Proper RAM insertion and
a re-boot, with fsck, and the system was happy.

I am wondering: did someone do something way too clever with the IDE
code in the 2.2.x kernels, with maybe the idea to take advantage of the
newer Ultra ATA systems, that managed to mess up critical timing needed
on the older PIO ATA hardware?

Of the few machines at UMass with IDE hard drives, we have had a some
hard disk failures (and three dead IDE CD-ROM drives).  NO failures of
either SCSI hard drives or CD-ROM drives.  Some of the SCSI drives are
over 5 years old -- the normal lifetime for SCSI disks.  I am not sure
if the IDE drives that failed even reached the 3 year normal lifetime
for IDE disks.

I am wondering: are these reported failures related to the 2.2 kernel
and/or 'cheap' (read: poor quality) IDE hard drives?

--
                                     \/

From: "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Howto check if Port # is block by ISP?
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 00:29:49 GMT

   It looks like it might be blocked.  Try pinging the host first.  If you
can ping it but not telnet to the smtp port and you know that host has a
mail service then chances are your ISP (or someone else along the line) is
blocking that port.  To bypass the blockage you need to use a proxy but the
only ones that I know of are used for anonymous web surfing.  You might want
to run a web search on proxy services.

--
-Cliff
Views expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer

Young4ert wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>
>I am connected to the Internet through a local ISP: NetZero.net.  I can
>surf the Internet with NetScape 4.6.1.  I can even send e-mail to anyone
>through the ISP's stmp server.  However, when I tried to setup my other
>e-mail account from a third party e-mail provider, i.e. mailandnews.com,

[snip]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:22:36 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel paging problem

maybe your ram is corrupt?

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install StarOffice 5.0
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 01:19:57 +0000

Billy Lau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a SuSe Linux 6.1 with a free StarOffice Installation CD.
> After I've installed the StarOffice, I found that it is version 5.0 instead
> of 5.1.
> I find no registration page of star division for 5.0 in the net.
> Can anyone tell me what can I do instead of download the new version 5.1.
>
> Thanks
>
> Billy Lau
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Just register it, the key should work with eiter version.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fisch)
Subject: Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server!!
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 18:32:39 -0700

Help.

I've got X up and running on my RedHat 5.2 system.  I've had no problems
in the past.  Recently I started running xdm so I wouldn't have to
"startx" after every login.

Now...
if I login, then "su", I can't launch any programs.  I keep getting a
"connection to :0.0 refused by server" error.

If I log out, then log in as root, I'm OK, but if I su to root, I can't
launch any apps or xterm.  Does anybody know why?

Thanks,
fisch

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sethostid using redhat6.0 (kernel2.2)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 01:18:23 +0000

jorge wrote:

> Does anyone know how to change the hostid of the machine running
> redhat 6.0 (kernel2.2).  There exists a sethostid for kernel 2.0, but
> this doesn't work on 2.2.
>
> Does anyone know where i can find the sethostid command for kernel
> 2.2?
>
> Thanks!

Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fisch)
Subject: Re: X via telnet from imac to linux/intel?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 18:43:01 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Link) wrote:

>there should be a way for me to have xwindows run on the mac for my telnet
>sessions.  I think this is described as setting up an xserver on my imac,
>and configuring the xclient on the intel machine to send the xwindows

There are a couple of "X servers" for Mac.  A commercial one such as
"MacX", and there's a free one called "MI/X".

You can get mi/x from http://www.microimages.com.

Since it's free, the only documentation is the FAQ on the web site.

Now, run the x server on your iMac.  The screen will go blue.  Switch to
your telnet program and login to your linux box.  Now... assuming that the
ip of your imac is 192.168.0.2 (a guess), then type the following on your
telnet session.

$xterm -display 192.168.0.2:0 &

That should launch an xterm and display it on your imac.  Switch back to
mix, and you should have an xterm there.  If netscape is installed on your
linux box, then type this.

$netscape -display 192.168.0.2:0 &

You can get around putting the display argument on the command line by
setting the DISPLAY variable.

try this...
$export DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0
$xosview &
$netscape &
$xterm -bg black -fg moccasin -sb -name MyXterm &

Have fun.
- fisch

------------------------------

From: gcwesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: help recovering disk space
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 01:30:40 GMT

I setup my Linux RedHat 6.0 system with a boot partition of 200MB and later
increased it to 480MB because some programs would not install to the /usr
partition.  Now, I only have about 10% free on the /boot partition.  An
author wrote that I could delete unneeded files, and I've dumped core,
*.baks and *.tmps.  However, he also wrote that I could dump *.o files as
they where object files created during the build.  Is this true?  And are
there other files that I could delete safely also?  Thank you in advance.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: thompson@n0$pam.athenet.net (Paul Thompson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Kernel error messages
Date: 8 Aug 1999 02:26:50 GMT

I know that recent SCSI cards have command queues which allow multiple
commands to be aggregated into one for better operation.
Perhaps your disk or SCSI card does not support command queueing, or
the number of queued commands the kernel attempts to collect exceed
their capacity.

Just an semi educated guess.

Paul