From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: where are SuSe kernel mods kept?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:07:41 GMT

I seem to recall reading somewhere a few months or more ago, the
location on the SuSe CDs of a patch file or something which has all the
modifications and extensions that SuSe makes to the stock Linux kernel.
Does anyone know where on the CDs that might be?

I think they modify the stock kernel code to do stuff like enable LVM
and ReiserFS and make other small fixes.

I've searched all over SuSe's site, Slashdot and Deja to no avail.

Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:32:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Donn Miller> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja) writes:
>
>> Didn't you hear about Sun and other UNIX vendors jumping for GNOME as
>> the unified UNIX desktop?
>>
>> M$ wants to hit that, I think.
>
>Funny how MS doesn't want to sue over KDE/Qt.  That particular project
>accomplishes the same exact goal as GNOME, but yet I haven't heard of
>companies willing to support KDE like they have GNOME.
>
>How exactly is MS going to stop an open source project like GNOME/Gtk?  This
>should be interesting.  What I think they'll accomplish is stopping vendors
>like Sun from incorporating GNOME into their desktops.
>
>As before, it's funny how MS should be suing over look 'n' feel.  Remember
>the Macintosh and the Amiga?

Still haven't seen a URL posted about this.
I didn't see a URL posted about Microsoft's version
of Linux, which was 'FUD of the month' last autumn..

Not that I wouldnh't put it past them.

Sun are very cautious around M$; when the Swing (Java 1.2 GUI) toolkit
shipped with a Redmond-esque theme, it came with a warning that you
weren't alllowed to use that look-n-feel on any platform other than
Windoze. M$ never disallowed it, Sun were just very paranoid.

Can't say I blame them, that was when M$ were gunning for Java in a big way.
And any software company that is basically a legal team
with a handful of coders tacked on as an afterthough must make any big
company nervous.

Mind you , M$ lost *that* war, too :)

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: adriaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: running C++ script on linux not successful
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:51:48 +0100

Eric wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I?m trying to learn how to program C++ on linux. I started with the
> > standard ?hello world? script. I compiled with the command;
> >
> > g++ -o hello hello.cc
> >
> > Everything seem to go well, but when I try to run:
> >
> > hello
> >
> > There was the following error:
> >
> > Bash: hello command not found.
> >
> > What could be the problem? My gcc version is:
> > egcs-2.91.66 19990314/lLinux(egcs-1.1.2release)
> > I?m on redhat 6.1 kernel 2.2.10
> >

> Well it says so: hello not found......
>
> try ./hello
>
> It's caused by the fact that . (the current directory) is not in the
> default PATH
>
> Eric
Have a look in the current directory. The binary that has been compiled
lives under the name a.out. Try ./a.out and the world will see hello.
A3aan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Was: Software RAID
Date: 16 Nov 2000 18:56:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
U. Siegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The filesystem was created by the command:
|       mke2fs -b 4096 -R stride=8 /dev/md0

  I've been running software raid since 2.2.6 or so, but I never tried
the RAID stuff in mke2fs (don't believe it was there). So to isolate the
problem to RAID code or e2fs code, you might try leaving the -R out and
see if it suddenly works.

  Actually, I never ran with a spare, either, I just replace a failed
drive and "hotadd" the drive back in, so you are in some uncharted water
there, as far as I can help.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
Make the rules? I don't make the rules. I don't even FOLLOW the rules!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mount Floppy On Access??
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:54:29 GMT

Hello, I would like to have the floppy drive on my
Linux machine be mounted whenever someone tries to
access it. I have no problem mounting it by
command line and being able to use it, however the
people who are using this machine only have access
to a web browser and not the command line (it is a
public kiosk). Even if they did have access, it
would be fair to assume that they wouldn't know
how to mount a file system. From the man pages and
browsinf news groups, I can't figure out how to do
this, or ven if it is possible. If I try to mount
it on startup, it, of course, complains because
ther is no floopy disk in the drive. Is there a
way to do this that I am missing?

Ed C.

From: t@t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Speed of JAVA / was: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 10:25:19 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roland says...

>JAVA-based (Multithreaded) MPEG 2 encoder/decoder comes in mind...

where is this mpeg-2 encoder/decoder written in java??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:29:51 GMT

* adriaan wrote:
> Eric wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I?m trying to learn how to program C++ on linux. I started with the
> > > standard ?hello world? script. I compiled with the command;
> > >
> > > g++ -o hello hello.cc
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
> > > Bash: hello command not found.
[...]
> Have a look in the current directory. The binary that has been compiled
> lives under the name a.out. Try ./a.out and the world will see hello.

Just to make sure nobody gets confused:
there will NOT be any file named "a.out" - the executable will be "hello" and
if you follow Eric's suggestion of trying "./hello" it should work.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler, I wanna be a league bowler!
                -- Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: "Sylvain Drapeau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configuring printer from text UI - RH6.1
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:00:59 -0500

Hello!

I'm trying to configure a dot matrix printer on a RH6.1 machine from the
text UI (no GUI installed). My printcap's OK, my parallel port is working
(tried from DOS) but Linux gives me a "lpr: connect: Connection refused"
message...

I heard somewhere I could insmod the parallel port... is this a usual
practice or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sylvain Drapeau
Solutions Informatiques SIGMA Inc.
tél: (418)851-4254
fax: (418)851-4580
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.sigma-techno.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Dang those KDE rpms
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:00:50 -0800

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:54:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been fighting tooth and nail to install the new KDE 2.0 rpms on
>my Redhat 7.0 Box.
>
>Anytime I install the KDE rpms (any rpms really) I usually install them
>with
>rpm -Uhiv kdewhatever.rpm
>
>but then it complains that it doesn't have a certain lib****.so
>then I was told to just force them in using
>rpm -ivv kde*.rpm
>
>THAT completely screwed my system up. Now, I guess the only way to
>install the new KDE 2.0 is to uninstall the kde 1.*** and then try to
>reinstall the 2.0 while praying that it will work.
>
>HAS ANYBODY INSTALLED THE NEW KDE 2.0 RPM's and did it sucessfully? If
>so.. p.p.please let me know how to do it :-(
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Well, I did a quite easy install of KDE2 and a just as easy un-install of
KDE2.  My method was apt-get install task-kde I believe :)  I don't recall
any missing libraries or having to manually remove things since if I
remember arightly, apt took care of those things for me.  On a SuSE 7 system
I play with, I left kde1.1.2 on it and rpm'ed kde2 in.  I did not do a force
on anything.  I did download the kde2 rpms from suse's website.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:48:43 GMT

Could you explain apt-get??? I don't use SUSE.

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Is this hard drive dead?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:53:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

[...]

>I booted from tomsrtbt floppy, and it
>will boot, but v-e-r-y slowly. I read the
>boot messages from toms, and they include
>that it correctly detects hda as a Quantum
>something-or-other, and correctly reports
>the partitions as hda: hda1.

So the drive effectively is there and does
respond. Good.

>The rest of the boot messages look normal,
>but it says the following: (don't know
>if this means anything or not)

>SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
>SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device
>SIOCADDRT: no such device

That's irrelevant. It means that the kernel wanted to
setup a NIC and failed due to its absence.

>Initialization of BusLogic failed.

That's a SCSI card - which you probably don't have, either.

>OK, then I try mount /dev/hda. It says:
>"can't find /dev/hda in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab."

[...]

Which is correct, as you

a) can't mount /dev/hda - that's not a partition, and
b) don't have an /etc/fstab file - now - that the mount command
   could query for details.

Try again with

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt

and check for possible problems.

If it's an oldish 486, it's possible that the MB battery which is
used to store the HW details failed, and therefor all the settings
were lost.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "john.q (replace NO_SPAM with ntlworld to reply)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! kdelibs-2.0-7 requires libcrypto.so.0 libssl.so.0
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:13:16 +0000

On 16 Nov 2000 15:38:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz Crow)
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:14:48 +0000, john.q (replace NO_SPAM with ntlworld to reply)
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have RedHat 6.2 and I am trying to install KDE 2.0.
>>I keep getting an error message with the following
>>file
>>
>>kdelibs-2.0-7.rpm
>>
>>error message as follows:
>>
>>kdelibs-2.0-7 requires libcrypto.so.0
>>kdelibs-2.0-7 requires libssl.so.0
>>
>>I have tried download the file kdelibs-2.0-7.rpm again, but
>>still get the same error message.
>>

>Do a "locate libcrypt" on your system.  See if you can find:
>
>/lib/libcrypt.so.1
>/usr/lib/libcrypt.a
>/usr/lib/libcrypt.so
>/usr/lib/libcrypto.a
>/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0
>/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.5
>/usr/lib/libcrypt_p.a
>
>You will not have the libcrypto.so.0"
>
>This is my "ln -l /usr/lib/libcrypt*
>
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        93226 Jul 30 15:42 /usr/lib/libcrypt.a
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 Sep 29 08:09 /usr/lib/libcrypt.so ->
>../../lib/libcrypt.so.1
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        94250 Jul 30 15:42 /usr/lib/libcrypt_p.a
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1326284 Sep 20 13:42 /usr/lib/libcrypto.a
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Oct  4 18:27 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0 ->
>libcrypto.so.0.9.5-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       926560 Sep 20 13:42
>/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.5
>
>You can see that libcrypt.so and libcrypto.so.0 are symbolic links to the real
>library.  This
>is how most libraries work.  All you have to do is make a symbolic link like this.
>
>ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.5 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>       The real library(target)       the link name
>
>If you don't have the libcrypto.so.0.9.5 or whatever your version is then you will
>have
>to find the package that comes with this library and install it.
>
>Do the same for libssl.so.0
>
>Hope this helps.

I found out on the developers section at KDE, that I
needed to install openssl. After I did this everything
worked and I now use KDE 2.0 instead of GNOME.

John:-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: 16 Nov 2000 21:14:15 GMT

On 16 Nov 2000 13:25:49 GMT, LuisMiguel
Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I have an old 486 I use for my play
>>computer. Tonight when I went to boot it
>>up, it claims there's no hard drive
>>installed. (there is)

>Go to the BIOS and make an autodetection.

Thanks for the idea --
I went in to the BIOS and set it to use the
autoconfiguration with power-on defaults;

later set it to use the autoconfiguration
with bios defaults;

both resulted in the same DRIVE NOT READY
ERROR (it asks for the floppy again).

then having little to lose I entered the
BIOS hard disk utility and had it do a
media analysis and later a hard drive format
(there was no data on there except a little
bit of DOS). During the format, it ran
through all the cylinder numbers pretending
to format something, but there were no
sounds from the hard drive. I can only
conclude it's not communicating with the
hard drive at all, but how the hd managed to
fail without any warning (it worked fine
before, no weird behavior) I don't understand.

I also tried entering the hd parameters
into the BIOS manually, but that doesn't
change anything.

thanks for the suggestion, anybody else is
welcome to put in their two cents as well.

MP

------------------------------

From: Maik Schwandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: tdfx
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:18:25 +0100

hi!

i want to use the hardware 3d acceleration of my creative
3d blaster
banshee PCI video card while using mandrake7.2 with the new
xfree86 4.0.

when i used the old xfree3.3.4 i had to use the right
xserver together
with the 3dfx.o kernel module to use the 3d acceleration of
my banshee.

how can i reach this with xfree86 4.0?

there is no problem when i load the 3dfx module with
"insmod 3dfx" but
there is no 3d acceleration, too.
i read that i have to load the tdfx module but it is not
possible on my
system:

   insmod tdfx
   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o: unresolved symbol
agp_enable_R50eb8453

then i tried to load the agpgart module first. that could
not be (and
was not) successful because i do not have AGP!

   insmod agpgart
   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o: init_module:
Das Gerät oder
die             Ressource ist belegt
   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

can anyone help me, please?
thx & greetz
        maik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us! Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:26:16 -0000

On 16 Nov 2000 15:14:22 GMT, Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.hardware Christopher Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>    [... excellent description]
>
>> Basically, that should do it.
>
>    But what if it doesn't? At that point, I can ping other hosts
>    on the LAN but inbound and outbound TCP connections (ftp and
>    telnet) simply hang.

If you can ping other hosts on the LAN then your net card driver is working
properly.  You need to get your default route set properly.  Could you post
the output of "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig".  Does your lan use dhcp?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: Uwe Bonnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where are SuSe kernel mods kept?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 21:39:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I seem to recall reading somewhere a few months or more ago, the
: location on the SuSe CDs of a patch file or something which has all the
: modifications and extensions that SuSe makes to the stock Linux kernel.
: Does anyone know where on the CDs that might be?

: I think they modify the stock kernel code to do stuff like enable LVM
: and ReiserFS and make other small fixes.

: I've searched all over SuSe's site, Slashdot and Deja to no avail.

../<cdrom>/unsorted/patches/kernel-patches.tgz

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

========= Tel. 06151 162516 ======== Fax. 06151 164321 ==========