Linux-Misc Digest #367, Volume #21               Wed, 11 Aug 99 17:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!! (Matthew Vanecek)
  Applications (Allen Flick)
  Sun 3/50 as Xterminal for Linux (Klaus Rotter)
  Re: Tar Limitations (Leslie Mikesell)
  Caldera 2.2 Crypt libraries for Postgresql ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Hard link (K. B. Lee)
  Why doesn't XFree86 v3.3.3 scale? ("Steve Snyder")
  Re: Any Support for PCI Modems? ("Ralph Allan Rice")
  Re: redhat vs suse ("Brett Castleberry")
  Re: Traditional tar.gz software building ("Brett Castleberry")
  Re: Is is at all possible to mount a remote device over a network? ("Art S. Kagel")
  Re: instaling GCC (Paul Kimoto)
  slocate problem ("rt")
  I've had a problem d/ling RH6.0 from ftp site and mirrors.. Has anyone else
accomplished this? (Jason Peacock)
  Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS? (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux? ("Matt")
  Re: Mounting Windows? ("rt")
  Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!! (Lyndon Nerenberg)
  Re: how? Linux replace Windows. ("~Stuart~")
  Re: C structure size inconsitency (Konrad Hambrick)
  LINUX to Windows CE handhelds? (David Rabanus)
  Re: Beginner problem, please help ("CAW Local 100 - Rail Division")
  Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!? (Cameron L. Spitzer)

From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.mail.imap
Subject: Re: Cyrus, Procmail, and Postfix--HELP!!
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:31:43 -0500

Hope you don't hate personal email too much from newsgroups, but I found
some interesting stuff out using your suggestion, plus your message
hasn't made it to my news server yet. :/ Anyhow....

Martin Bligh wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
> >Nothing works.  Procmail runs, as far as I can tell, but there are no
> >error messages, and mail doesn't get deliverd, using either deliver or
> >the wrapper.
>
> Set the LOGFILE variable in procmail - this should tell you if it
> receives the mail, and where it went to ....
>
> Martin

Ok, learn something new every day.  I set that, and this is what I get,
from messages coming in via Postfix:

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Wed Aug 11 14:04:18 1999
 Subject: root test
  Folder: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver-wrapper
user.me2v.local                    577
user.me2v.Backup: Message contains invalid header
user.me2v.local: Message contains invalid header

I applied a message to procmail directly, with one Received header,
Message ID header, From:, To:, etc, and this is what I get:

 Subject: testing for headers
  Folder: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver-wrapper
user.me2v.local                    865

Capturing all the headers procmail receives reveals the following:

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:23:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: Matthew Vanecek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: test once again

It's that first "From" that's messing things up.  I'm not sure where it
gets stuck in there, though, or how to get rid of it.  If I stick a sed
call in there to 's/From /From: /', it delivers, but I'd hate to think I
have to do that for every rule.  Optimally, I'd like to find out where
Postfix sticks that header in, and either change it or get rid of it.
It's probably some configuration change I made in postfix, for a
masquerade or something, but I don't know yet.

If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it, if you're familiar with
Postfix...
--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis

------------------------------

From: Allen Flick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Applications
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:31:37 GMT

An acquaintance of mine has SuSE6.1 which comes with StarOffice &
WordPerfect8.0.  I have RedHat6.0.

Is there any way I can get StarOffice & WordPerfect from this friend's
CD's ??  He states that there are no files that look like they are of
the
SO or WP ilk, which infers that SuSE has these apps hidden in some
"hidden" files which their installation procedure knows how to open
& get things out of.

Please reply to me individually.

  Allen Flick : Research is what I'm doing when
                I don't know what I'm doing.

From: Klaus Rotter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.admin
Subject: Sun 3/50 as Xterminal for Linux
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:39:45 +0200

I am trying to setup an old Sun 3/50 as an Xterminal for Linux. I found the
Linux-Xkernel-2.0e.tar.gz package which should contain everything needed.
I have set everything up accroding to the documentation but the sun won't
boot. It says:

> Auto-boot in progress...
> Using IP Adress 192.168.0.3 = (C0A80003)
> Boot: le(0,0,0)
> Booting from tftp server at 192.168.0.2 = C0A80002

and then it waits and waits... and after a few minutes a kernel boot message
comes up:

> SunOS Release 4.1.1 (DEATHROCK) #5: Thu Feb 10 12:15:14 MST 1994
[...]
> Hostname = xhost
> domainname = none
> root on server:/usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3 fstype nfs
[...]
> panic: init died

Linux sysinfo does:

> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[544]: connect from 192.168.0.3
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: requested file "C0A80003".
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: Mode octet.
> Aug 11 21:00:49 rotters tftpd[545]: tftpd: sending requested file.

So I think there is something transfered. But why does it take such long
time ?
I have found that one must patch a sun kernel to get it to work with Linux
NFS (see below). Has my problem  something to do with this fact ? Is this
also true for 2.2.x Linux kernels ?

> Linux networking currently does not support packet fragmentation.
> Unfortunately, Sun NFS by default uses packet sizes that require
> fragmentation.  Normally, options can be set on the Sun to reduce the
> NFS packet size from 8192 bytes to 1024 bytes, thus avoiding
> fragmentation.  However, when the Sun is BOOTING over nfs, there is no
> way to change the defaults.  Thus, they need to be changed IN THE SUN
> KERNEL.  This file describes how to patch a Sun3 kernel so that it can
> be booted from linux over NFS.  Original credit for the kernel
> modifications goes to Mark Eichin.

Unfortunatly, I have no possibility to boot SunOS. Is there a way to alter
the KERNEL using the build in monitor ? And, where is the kernel stored ?
[I just looked and found that the kernel ist stored in
/usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3/vmunix.] There should be a way to alter that
kernel, isn't it ?

Thanks a lot for any help, -Klaus

--
 Klaus Rotter * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Tar Limitations
Date: 11 Aug 1999 13:43:40 -0500

In article <14fs3.2485$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andrew Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We are having a few problems using tar with large volumes of data. For one,
>we can't create an archive with more than 2147483648 bytes in it
>(suspicously looking like a signed int problem). For two, when trying to
>read large archives (7 Gig +) from a third party we get erratic behavior,
>with tar skipping headers and throwing garbage on the screen (suspicously
>looking like overflow or pointer issues).
>
>We are using Red Hat 6.0. Are there known limitations to tar? Can it only
>handle 2 gig archives? How many items can be in an archive?

The limit is in the disk file holding the archive.  You can go a
bit bigger by using the -z flag which arranges a pipe to
compress.  I'm not sure, but I would expect it to have similar
problems reading archives from other systems if any of the
content files were >2gigs.  You shouldn't have other problems
if you can use a tape device directly or use pipes to avoid
needing a single file >2gigs.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Caldera 2.2 Crypt libraries for Postgresql
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:15:45 GMT

I have just received a copy of Caldera's OpenLinux 2.2 , and am a little
disappointed. I selected a regular full install, and it did not install
a compiler. I have since installed one, since I found it also did not
install Postgresql. And while trying to build Postgresql, I found that
Caldera does not include the crypt libraries. Can someone point me to
a source for Caldera compatible crypt in rpm format if possible.

On another note I have found that Caldera does not install UUCP on a
standard install. Any other surprises I should be looking out for?

Subject: Hard link
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (K. B. Lee)
Date: 11 Aug 1999 15:02:59 -0500

Hello all:
I'd like to know how to make a hardlink two directories. I tried
              "ln -d source_dir target_dir"
but is says "Operation not permitted". The manual seems to say
this can be done. Please help...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Department of Mathematics    Office (405)325-2748
K. B. Lee             University of Oklahoma       Message(405)325-6711

------------------------------

From: "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why doesn't XFree86 v3.3.3 scale?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:20:30 GMT

I've got RedHat v6.0 (and all released updates to it) installed on 2
systems, a desktop machine and a notebook.  Everything looks great on
my desktop machine at 1152x864.  On my notebook, though, at 800x600
(the max this machine can handle) all the graphics are *way* too big.
The graphics seem to be the same size at both resolutions, but that
size is inappropriately large for a 800x600 screen.

These circumstances, on both machines, are true of both KDE and GNOME.
Because I have the same problem with both desktops, I have to assume
it is due to the underlying XFree86 v3.3.3.1.

For example, on the Netscape Preferences page (where the program
settings are modified) I can't get the whole page on the screen!  Yes,
I can resize the window, but at the cost of losing the buttons on the
button of the window.  Meanwhile, that same window has a lot of empty
space in the middle of it.  The window can be resized, but the image
doesn't *scale* graphically.  This is true of other application, not
just a Netscape problem.

Anyone know how get more reasonably-scaled graphics on my 800x600
screen?

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

------------------------------

From: "Ralph Allan Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any Support for PCI Modems?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:49:17 -0400

Let's say that it is not a winmodem.  It is very possible that the PCI
modem is a Plug n Play modem.   You did not mention it, therefore if it is a
plug n play modem, you would want to disable such a feature and set the
proper jumpers.

Ralph.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Brett Castleberry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat vs suse
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 02:09:58 -0400

Disregarding the merits of Red Hat versus Suse, you should know that you can
get either one for $1.89 US plus shipping from
http://www.linuxmall.com/specials/FreeCD if you have a credit card.  The
number of apps is not an issue.  You can always get them via FTP after you
install.

--
Brett G. Castleberry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:7oku9b$9dc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Brett Castleberry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Traditional tar.gz software building
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 02:25:46 -0400

Harry,
    Try "Building and Installing Software Packages for Linux" at:
http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/build.html .

--
Brett G. Castleberry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is is at all possible to mount a remote device over a network?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:53:22 -0400

> Is there any possible way (I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask) to mount
> a remotely located disk location???

If the disk is located on the network on another host which is running
the NFS daemons you can NFS mount it on your local Linux box.  Most OS's
have NFS servers available, even WinNT, so that should not be an impediment.

Art S. Kagel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: instaling GCC
Date: 11 Aug 1999 13:21:34 -0500

In article <7os5nb$409g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jonathan C Busey wrote:
> I cannot compile.  every 'make' ends in (g)cc : command not found
> but I can't install the pgcc rpm package from my dist cd (mandrake 6.0)
> because I always get the message
> cannot find header lookup at 577....

Have you tried installing the regular gcc compiler?  Perhaps they
have disguised it by using the name "egcs".

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "rt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slocate problem
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:21:49 +0200

Hey,

When I run the slocate command :

slocate -uv

my computer (under Red Hat 6.0 linux ofcourse ) is each time chrashing at
/.automount

After a CTRL-C keystroke combination, and I do locate OR slocate:
# slocate smbclient                         //e.g.
is the answer:

slocate: decode_db(): open: (2) No such file or directory
How can I resolve this problem?
In the hope anyone will give me the answer, I thank him/her in advance:

Rudy,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Peacock)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: I've had a problem d/ling RH6.0 from ftp site and mirrors.. Has anyone else
accomplished this?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:10:52 GMT

Hello.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has successfully downloaded
RH6.0 from ftp.redhat.org or any of the mirrors?

They say on the website that you can either 'buy' the product with
printed manual(s) for a certain price, or you can 'download for free'
from their ftp site or mirrors.

Well.. I took a look at d/ling RH.  I've downloaded Slackware once
before but that was back when I was on a 14.4 modem.. So I figure my
56k would do a bit better.. =)
Anyways, I used CuteFTP in Win98 to select the 'i386' directory which
contains everything included on the Intel version of Linux, and then I
went to sleep..
When I awoke 5 hours later, I found that upon arriving at the
/i386/misc/src/trees/initrd/var directory, there was a symbolically
linked directory which led back to /i386/misc/src/trees/initrd , or
something to that effect.. The first thing I saw when I looked at the
progress was the download of a file in the
/i386/misc/src/trees/initrd/var/var/var/var/var/var/var/var/var/var/var/var
well.. you get the picture..
I found more similar symbolically linked directories thoughout the FTP
server..
So the next night I took a look at a mirror site, and didn't see the
same symbolically linked directories I found on the redhat FTP site,
so I tried it again.. But once again I awoke to a flood of /var/var
etc...directories..

Does anyone know what to do or how to d/l the distro without having to
sit there and d/l the files one by one?  Any help would be
appreciated!

Thanks Again

Jason

P.S.- just incase anyone was wondering, I had a max count of 46
/var/var directories.. =) The total MB d/led under the /i386/
directory was roughly 150 MB both times I tried.. Yet 72 MB alone
resided within the /i386/misc/src/trees/initrd/var directory (yes..
the original /var directory.. =) ) The files residing withing the
final /var directory I stopped the d/l on had such a long directory
path, that Explorer would crash just because it considered the
dir+filename the complete filename, and couldn't handle it it was so
long.. Oh well..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:10:01 GMT

Ulrich Weigand ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:
: >I'm no expert on this subject, but might the CPU power use at idle
: >depend on exactlt what the OS does in its idle loop? In order to
: >truly idle the CPU, the OS can't just have the scheduler running
: >something in a loop. That would keep the CPU awake.
:
: .... which is precisely why Linux (on Intel, at least) executes the
: 'hlt' instruction in its idle task, which halts all processor activity
: (until the processor is woken by the next hardware interrupt).

The most common reason that HALT instructions (HLT on Intel) are issued by an
operating system is to make sure that the cpu is quiet so that DMA operations
can proceed without interference from the cpu.  After all, if the cpu has
nothing else to do while awaiting the completion of an I/O, there is no sense
in having perform memory operations (while in a loop) competing with the DMA
traffic.  Also, if the cpu is halted, it can respond to interrupts must
faster, in that it doesn't need to finish the current instruction before
taking the interrupt.

This concept of halting the cpu during idle periods is an old concept that
predates the ability of the cpu to power down.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:02:07 -0400

I've set up Ceilidh on a Linux box and had good results.  I don't know what
else is out there but check it out at www.lilikoi.com.

Michael Moon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:am5s3.3956$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am looking for software that will allow people to post messages and
> replies but in a browser format, not a newsgroup.  Other terms would be
> message board, or bbs.  I have used a very good commercial product for
> Windows call Webboard by O'Reilly, but I am looking for something free or
> low cost.
>

> Sam Sim wrote in message ...
> >Michael,
> >
> >What do you mean by web forum?
> >
> >Sam

Linux

http://www.deja.com/thread/%3C0_0s3.3905%24K8.70038%40newsr1.san.rr.com%3E

From: "rt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting Windows?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:10:41 +0200

# mkdir /mnt/win95
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1   /mnt/win95

IF WINDOWS 95 IS ON /dev/hda1; but this you can see with:
1) fdisk
2) p
ANF IF YOU HAVE NOT TOO MANY POUNT POINTS.

Good luck,
Rudy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul heeft geschreven in bericht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.mail.imap
Date: 11 Aug 1999 13:56:08 -0600

    Matthew> From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Aug 11 14:04:18 1999
    Matthew> Subject: root test Folder: /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver-wrapper
    Matthew> user.me2v.local 577 user.me2v.Backup: Message contains
    Matthew> invalid header user.me2v.local: Message contains invalid
    Matthew> header

Most likely the message you're passing to deliver has a From<space>
header on the front. Try piping the output from procmail through
"tail +1" before sending it to deliver.

--lyndon

------------------------------

From: "~Stuart~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how? Linux replace Windows.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:45:26 +1200

Many thanks.. nope - not a greatly into games..  used to be.. hahaha but
that was back in the 'ole.. amiga days (a whole meg of memory!woWW)
now it's learn and make it a usefull machine, I think i'l have to check out
this Linux thingy and see what it's all about..   thanks again :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konrad Hambrick)
Subject: Re: C structure size inconsitency
Date: 11 Aug 1999 19:08:44 GMT

In article <7omupi$pfp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Doug DeJulio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7omsiv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Konrad Hambrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I did not say it was a good thing to do, but if your
>>mission is to read someone else's data file and you
>>know that data struct is packed head-to-tail, the only
>>alternative would be to allocate a char array, define
>>offsets for the data elements, read the data into the
>>char buffer and use (a lot of) type casting all over
>>the place.
>
>Another "not strictly portable but more portable than struct packing"
>way to achieve a similar result is to use readv/writev.  Many Unix
>systems have these functions, and the Linux system I'm on right now
>appears to.
>
>For those who don't know, the "v" in readv/writev stands for
>"vector".
>
>You pass in a set of "struct iovec" structures.  Each one has a void*
>element (iovbase) and a size_t element (iov_len).  So, if the first
>iovec has an iov_len of 5 and an iovbase at address "A", and the next
>has an iov_len of 10 and an iovbase at address "B", and you "readv" in
>15 bytes, the first 5 will end up stored at address "A" and the next
>10 will end up stored at address "B", regardless of where those are in
>memory.  The "writev" function is directly analogous.  It's a sort of
>scatter-gather I/O to and from memory.
>
>It's perfect for dealing with packing/unpacking structs, and even if
>you don't care about POSIX compatibility, it's still a lot more
>portable than fiddling with struct packing.  Depending on the
>implementation you're using, they can be *much* faster than
>implementing the same behavior yourself (eg. consider hardware that
>can do DMA to/from discontiguous regions).
>
>Does anyone know if these are being added to POSIX or some other Unix
>standard sometime soon?  They're on just about every Unix system I've
>used (Solaris, AIX, BSDI, Linux, and others) and they're really
>useful, but I haven't heard that they're a part of any official
>standard yet.  (AFAIK, readv/writev come from BSD 4.2, have been
>around for at least 12 years, and haven't changed in that time.  IMHO,
>they would be useful additions to any Unix standard.)
>--
>Doug DeJulio      | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

Very cool, Doug.

I gotta keep this one for future reference.

Thanks.

-- kjh ( and thanks for your second article too )

Konrad J. Hambrick           |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
1111 Seacoast Dr.  Unit 41   |  home:   (619) 423-4451     |
Imperial Beach, CA   91932   |                             |

------------------------------

From: David Rabanus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX to Windows CE handhelds?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:57:11 -0700

Hi folks,

has there ever been an attempt to port LINUX to Windows CE
handhelds? Most handhelds are without disks so that it might have
to be a "stripped" window manager...

Thanks in advance - David.

------------------------------

From: "CAW Local 100 - Rail Division" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Beginner problem, please help
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:46:18 GMT

Aww shucks, I was just trying to be a stereotypical hacker - sipping my Jolt
cola at 3am, red-eyed with compulsion in my sweaty t-shirt & old boxers.
<big grin> ;-)  Barbara

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!?
Date: 11 Aug 1999 19:39:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gavin Rogers wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Gateway.net says they "no longer use" DNS IP addresses.
>> I hardly think this is true.

This means they expect you to connect using Microsoft Dial-Up Adapter,
which has hooks for their system to tell yours (Microsoft's) which
DN servers to use.

If you're running Linux, use whatever config tool came with your distro,
or just edit /etc/resolv.conf and add some name servers.

Try 63.66.78.41,  208.215.59.180, and maybe 63.66.78.33 or 63.66.78.35.

>You'd be correct... DNS is a backbone service on the internet (unless you're
>good at remebering numbers)

What?  Domain Name Service is a distributed database.  Once you get your
system running you can run your very own DN server right there in background
on your Linux box.  It will be at 127.0.0.1
and it will be noticeably faster than sending every DNS request through the
modem.  See the DNS-HOWTO.

>I'd be wanting a new ISP with technical support who know what they are
>talking about, IMHO.

Only if you need that kind of tech support.  Linux users tend to get
self-reliant.  Then if there are other reasons to stick with Gateway,
stay there.

Cameron