Linux-Misc Digest #384, Volume #21               Fri, 13 Aug 99 07:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Please Help me help myself. ("Johan Hartzenberg")
  Kernel Rebuild Fails (To tired to swap) ("Johan Hartzenberg")
  Oracle 8.0.5 Listener under SUSE Linux (Trevor Pearce)
  Re: System copy to new harddisk ("sham khalil")
  Re: Marx vs. Nozick (Ketil Z Malde)
  Re: What is Applixware? (John Forkosh)
  Re: which distribution to use?? ("Jonathan Wilson")
  Kernel panic error?? (root)
  Re: Lilo in swap partition (Luis Paulo)
  update to samba 2.5a (mike)
  Re: VMware - wow! (Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563)
  Re: What I think of linux. (Nick Ruisi)
  Re: Resizing partitions (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: USB port supported in LINUX ? (Gary Momarison)
  Re: GCC problem compiling Objective C (Jon Skeet)
  Problem with SiS Graphics card (TELLIS JACQUELINE)
  Problem with D-Link ethernet adaptor (TELLIS JACQUELINE)
  Re: Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd' ("Anita Lewis")
  Re: can i use linux operating system (Howard Mann)
  crontab problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: My Linux box was hacked! (Edward Siewick)
  Re: getting mail ("Jonathan Wilson")

From: "Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please Help me help myself.
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:00:01 +0200

Hi.

The Questions:
How do I enable "scroll-back" in a normal tty terminal?
How do I permanently change the login welcome message?
Is there a text terminal version of the Unix "monitor" utility to display
graphs of CPU utilization?
How do I add the tty number to a user's prompt?
Can I re-browse my .bashrc file without logging out and back in?
How-come I can boot from the boot.IMG disk for setup and add new stuff to
the system without ever entering a password?

In any case I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5.  Installing it was
too easy.  I didn't learn anything.  You can only learn when you struggle
with things.

I edited the /etc/issue file to add a legal notice / warning before login.
It worked immediately, until I rebooted the machine, at which time it
reverted to the original message.  The /etc/issue file was back to what it
was before I modified it.

I don't know where to find out how to make my tty consoles able to scroll
back.

Please help me help myself by telling me where i will find the answers to my
questions.  If you don't think my specific questions are answered anywhere,
do please tell me how to do these things.

Thanx to all you kewl guru's.

  _Johan

P.S.  I don't mind reading the docs if there are some that will help me
solve this, please point me in the right direction.

------------------------------

From: "Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Rebuild Fails (To tired to swap)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:01:17 +0200

Hi.

I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5

Installing it was too easy.  I didn't learn anything.  You can only learn
when you struggle with things.

I want to add support for my Olicom Token Ring network card.  OK, the docs
says I must recompile the kernel and enable support for the card as a
loadable module.

I want to first just build Kernel 2.2.9, without adding any new device
drivers.  I figured that way I increase my chance of getting it right, and
I'll feel way proud of myself when I manage to run Linux on a Kernel I build
myself.  After I manage this, I will embark on mission Network Connectivity.

So I read the Kernel HOWTO.

I did the make config

Great - my wonderfull distribution of Red Hat came without GCC.  But I found
it on one of the CDs, unzipped it, noticed it's only the binaries, un-tared
these.  Kewl the files are now in their correct locations, eg. gcc-2.8.1 is
in /usr/bin

Here I added a 'ln -s gcc-2.8.1 gcc'

Then I tried again.

No header files.

OK, I figure thsoe are the ones in libc.  unzip and untar, hoping they will
go into the right locations.  Seemingly they did.  It compiles for a minute
or so with various warnings, then exits with an error telling me linux is
too tired to swap (only kidding - The Error is Virtual Memory Exhausted -
see below)

I ran top in a different console while compiling. who-ha!  memory use grows
like crazy while this thing is running.

Is my gcc bad?

# gcc -v
reading specs from /usr//lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1/2.8.1/specs
gcc version 2.8.1

I tried the compile again, this time 'make dep >& capture'

Here's the capture.  I don't know enough to figure out why this is
happening.  If this problem is solved somewhere, please tell me where to
read up so I can learn to help myself.

gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
In file included from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/ctype.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/ctype.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/features.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:134,
                 from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:24,
                 from /usr/include/features.h:134,
                 from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/features.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
/usr/include/features.h:19: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:19: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:21: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:21: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:21: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:38: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:38: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:38: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:59: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:78: parse error at null character
/usr/include/features.h:78: virtual memory exhausted
make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1

Which doc should I read to find out how to fix this?  Do I need to increase
my swap partition (128 Mb physical ram + 100 Mb swap)

Please help me help myself.  Once I manage to build and install a new
kernel, I will take the next step:  Add a driver for my network card, which
I downloaded form the Olicom website.

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:59:11 +0100
From: Trevor Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Oracle 8.0.5 Listener under SUSE Linux

I'm having problems starting the dbsnmp sub agent under oracle 8.0.5 on
SUSE Linux v6.1. The Listener is up and running fine, however,
enterprise manager on Windoze NT  will not discover the DB.

Under Solaris 2.6 we had to modify the snmpd.conf and modify the Master
and Encapsulated peering configuration.There does not seem to be a
similar setup under Linux.

------------------------------

From: "sham khalil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: System copy to new harddisk
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:43:14 +0800

do the harddisk have to be the same size and brand?

sham khalil

Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If your really wanted to 'clone' one disk to another, the 'dd' command
> should let you do it.  Something like:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda if=/dev/hdb
> where hda and hdb are the device files for the entire source and
> target drives.
> --
> Norman Levin
> vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Marx vs. Nozick
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:11:23 GMT

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> yes but large corporations act like communist states in this regard.

Indeed, they often do.  Large corporations often end up with the same
kind of inefficiencies and beaurocracy, too.

Anyway, many corporations work with an internal "market place", with
departments billing each other for services rendered, and you also
have the current outsourcing trend as examples of fighting this
internal "communism". :-)

-kzm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Subject: Re: What is Applixware?
Date: 12 Aug 1999 11:43:23 -0400

Tom Shannon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 11 Aug 1999 20:03:51 -0400, John Forkosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >: If you get the official RH6.0 release, it comes with an application
: >: disk that has demo Applixware. You have to pay for the real version.
: >: You can find out more about it by looking at www.applix.com
: >: If you want a free Office type product, consider Star Office.

: >I've never used either, but am frequently forced to use MS Word
: >by clients that have standardized on it.
: >I haven't found time to check out Applixware and
: >StarOffice, to see which provides the better MS Word work-alike,
: >and the better import/export to Word format.
: >Anybody care to follow up with real world experiences?

: I have experience with both
snip
: The solution I finally settled on was the real Word and Excel running with
: vmware.  This works well as long as you don't have to go to really
: heavy loads where the vmware performance hit becomes more evident.
: This is more likely to happen with very big spreadsheets or documents
: with very heavy graphics, say 7 or 8 large figures (half to full page).

Thanks, Tom.  Your solution speaks volumes.  Sounds like you made
diligent effort with both, but concluded that neither provided
sufficiently transparent workalike functionality for serious work.
Too bad, but your recommendation sounds like the only way to go at
the present time.  Thanks again,
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which distribution to use??
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:02:21 GMT

I've never used RH (Red Hat), but I think it's the most widely used. A
friend of mine, whom I always talk to when I'm having Linux troubles, says
he uses RH because every one he knows uses it, and that's what he can get
help with. BUT,  since you have access to this forum (and others) you can
get help! I use Mandrake on 2 computers. There is no distrobution that's
completely perfect. You'll run into problems with all of them, but the thing
to remember is that ALL PROBLEMS CAN BE FIXED!, and you'll have problems
with Windows and Mac, too (I know, I use all three). Mandrake has some
problems because they tried very hard to make it VERY user friendly, and
that's not quite perfect yet. For instance, in most distros you have to
mount CDs and Floppies manually, which isn't really a problem, just an
inconvienance. Mandrake tried to make that automatic and Tada! I can only
mount DOS formatted floppies. BUT, somehow we will figure this out. That's
the good thing about Linux- you will be able to get help. You may have to
wait longer than you'd like, but sooner or later some one will help you out.

I really do like Mandrake, even though it has some probs. Like all Linux
companies, they are constantly fixing things, and the fixes are free. With
Mandrake, you get free installation support. With RH, you also get tech
support, but I've heard it's not the best, and you most likely can get by
with out it. Especilly with these forums and a few good books on Linux.
Also, I paid $25 for my copy at Sam's Club (mine's published by Macmillian
Publishing- I understand there's 2 L-Mandrakes), and I think RH is about $75
dollars. Buy Mandrake 6.0 and spend the money on Linux books (or a back-up
system- I highly recomend them:-).
See www.linux-mandrake.com

Happy Linuxing,

        JW

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel panic error??
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:34:32 +0000

Hi,

I just recompiled the kernel for mandrake6, then use linuxconf to add
the new kernel to lilo as a selectable image.  Running /sbin/lilo didn't
give any error message, but when I reboot, I got the kernel panic error
message on both the old and new kernel images.  Is there any way to fix
it without reinstalling?
Thank you in advance for any help!

------------------------------

From: Luis Paulo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo in swap partition
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:16:12 +0100

Leonard Evens wrote:

> Of course one can avoid the whole matter by giving the
> whole machine to Linux, but I am not quite ready to do that
> yet.
> --

When you become more experienced using Linux, you can also consider
another approach:
put Windows inside Linux!

There is a product called VMware that allows the creation of virtual
machines inside Linux.
These virtual machines are virtual computers with their own bios,
memory, drive, and so on, and you can set up a virtual machine with
almost any operating system that runs on a Intel computer.
Furthermore, you can  have several virtual machines running at the same
time... I have a DOS6/Win31,
a W95, a W98 and a Suse Linux 6.1 all set up as virtual machines within
a base Red Hat...
Each drive "C:" is just a Linux file under Red Hat... And these VM's can
talk to each other through a
virtual network...

I can tell you, by by experience that this VMware product is one of tht
most fantastic things I have seen in years, and if you like the idea of
seeing Windows within a X-window, have a look at it (www.vmware.com) and
enjoy it.

Luis Paulo

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: update to samba 2.5a
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:30:45 GMT

after i have updated may samba suite from 1.9.18p10-17 to 2.0.5a i can`t
connect to my server. in the log file there are this messages according to
the user connect:

[1999/08/13 10:38:14, 0] smbd/uid.c:become_gid
(105)
  Couldn't set effective gid to 65534 currently set to
(real=0,eff=0)
[1999/08/13 10:38:14, 0] smbd/uid.c:become_gid
(107)
  Looks like your OS doesn't like high gid values - try using a different
account
[1999/08/13 10:38:14, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection
(463)
  Can't become connected user!

if i reinstall the old version, the problem has gone.

the user is set in linux and in samba and i use in both suites sec. level
= user

is there a bug???

>>>PLEASE help>>> via e-mail if its possible

mike

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Willett LADS LDN X7563)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: 13 Aug 1999 09:13:08 GMT

In article <B3Ps3.2187$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "me" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>"VMware products provide developers and users with the ability to:
>
>Run multiple operating systems concurrently on a single PC--without
>repartitioning or rebooting.
>Interoperate among each of these operating systems.
>Isolate and protect each operating environment, and the applications and
>data that are running in it.
>Encapsulate and manipulate each operating environment, and have the
>availability to roll back and restart, or move an environment among
>differently configured machines. "
>

>www.vmware.com

It certainly is a WOW!! I'm still on 30 day trial.
So far I've set up a virtual partition with Win95 which vmware
uses to boot.  I've then got my Linux to Samba across my Win 95 D:
and E: drives which contains my applications and data respectively
I've got Samba to allow me to print.

Word, Excel & Powerpoint are ok. Access gives licence errors.
(Maybe ini files ?)

My only "complaints" are
i)   I only posses a 266MHz and 96Mb RAM,  which is fine for
     Linux OR Windows but not BOTH!!!  (Can't really blame vmware
     for that though - but if they could see their way to giving
     me some extra hardware I won't turn it down).

ii)  it takes about 4-5 times longer than normal to shutdown
     Windows. Why is that ?

iii) I can't use the floppy from Linux. Vmware takes control of it.
     use the cdrom either from Linux but I have a CD-Writer
     as well so I don't care

iv)  Sync-ing my real C: drive with all those *.ini files and *.dll
     files is a pain in the ass!! Maybe I won't bother attempting it.

v)   I can't use it to play Tomb Raider !!!

Mike

------------------------------

From: Nick Ruisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 05:34:49 -0400

Im 25
First computer was an Atari 400 (16 KB ram, 1.76Mhz, audio cassete based storage)

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resizing partitions
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:31:59 -0700

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Christopher Browne wrote:

> The approach that I'd suggest taking instead (just as a thought) is to
> create a new, larger-than-100MB partition in that unused space, and
> *copy* everything from / into that new partition, and then migrate to
> using it.

if you go this way you might find the harddrive update howto helpful.
But do you really need more than 100 MB for / ??? Here
/dev/sda1             202182   22953   168789     12%   /
I would suggest simply adding partitions for /usr, /home, /tmp,
/usr/local, /var - less problematic than moving /
                                                      Gerald

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: USB port supported in LINUX ?
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Aug 1999 09:11:12 -0700

I just saw this link to a new USB HOWTO:

http://www.dynamine.net/linux-usb/HOWTO/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Subject: Re: GCC problem compiling Objective C
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:04:09 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The program is just a hello world program to test the compiler....  Any
> suggestions?

Given that it seems to want some threading stuff, try adding -lpthread.
You may need more than that, but see whether that at least reduces the
number of errors.

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: TELLIS JACQUELINE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with SiS Graphics card
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:17:50 +0500

I have a SiS 6125 graphics card.  If I use the setup utility with RH6.0 to
configure X, it sets it up in 320x200 (or 240) with 256 colours.  While
this may be okay for DOS games, it's not for a GUI.

Same problem if I select the card from xconf.

If I use xconf, and bypass the card selection.  I can select XF86_VGA as
my server, and it works properly at 640x480 with 16 colours (4bpp)  This
is okay for most stuff, but images wont show up in Netscape, or they show
up in monochrome.  Not good either.

What should I do.

Philip

------------------------------

From: TELLIS JACQUELINE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with D-Link ethernet adaptor
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:20:55 +0500

I have a D-Link DE220P ethernet adaptor on my Linux box.  How do I setup
my machine to connect through the network with this card?  I have RH 6.0
The machine I am using will be used as the network server, provided I can
get it connected to the network.  There was no problem connecting to NT
with the same machine from 95, but with RH 6.0, I have no idea what to do.

Please Help

Philip

------------------------------

From: "Anita Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd'
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 06:04:46 -0400

Yours looks a little different than what I have.  I'm thinking it might just
be the way the apostrophes are or maybe you need the complete location of
commands.

You might try

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATDphonenumber
CONNECT  '' ogin: login assword: password"

What looks like double quotes inside the chat string is actually two single
quotes (before ATDphone and before ogin)  Double quotes surround it.  I got
this from http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Anita

Kalgoorlie Assay Labs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<snip>

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can i use linux operating system
Date: 13 Aug 1999 03:34:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (POLESAW) writes:
> can i use linux operating system on my current computer with my present
> software?
>
> thanks, polesaw

Most likely.

--
Howard Mann
http://www.newbielinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: crontab problems
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:20:31 GMT

Hello.

I have SuSE 6.1 and I've been getting some strange errors using
cron.  I'm hoping you can help me.

As root, I 'crontab -e' and put the following entry:
[at 3am everyday]  /path/myscript.ksh

Right now, myscript.ksh starts with #!/someshell, which can be
any shell.  And the script does absolutely nothing.

It doesn't matter what shell I use for myscript, but I get a
mail message back from the cron daemon that looks like this:

sh: Desktop: command not found.

When I add this line to crontab:
PATH=<root's path as displayed from echo "$PATH">

The mail message changes to:
sh: ./Desktop is a directory

Has anyone encountered this problem?  Does anyone have a solution or
a checklist?  Thanks for your time.

-Godwin DaVinci.

From: Edward Siewick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: My Linux box was hacked!
Date: 13 Aug 1999 03:23:16 GMT

Sorry, wrong thread....

--
  ESiewick a DigiPro.com             DigiPro Digital Productions, LLC
  Voice:  703-522-8465                   3100 North Quincy Street

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: getting mail
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:16:05 GMT

Scott,

Dial up you're connection, open a terminal window, then type "ping
www.linuxlinks.com" (or any other www site) and hit enter. You should get
some info back about the site, including it's ip#. If you get an error,
something is not setup right.

And open up a browser (surely one came with RH? Probably Netscape) and try
to look up a site. (my favorite www.suntherm.com if you like science or
homesteading, you'll like this site)

I don't have enough time to go into detail, but I just went through the same
thing. look on these news groups for post I put up about using kppp. I got
loys of good answers. Remember this: If you're used to window, then you,
like me, might have never heard of DNS before. You will not be able to do
any thing if you dont have your DNS info filled in.
Look for posts by Jonathan Wilson about kppp.

Let us know what happens. We like to know when things work, ya' know!

Happy Linuxing,
        JW