Linux-Misc Digest #384, Volume #24                Sat, 6 May 00 17:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Is JavaServer Pages alive in Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Remote authentication (DanH)
  POP3 Problem (Sky Cree)
  Re: redhat 6.1 install woes (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Can anyone clarify boot sequence? (Prasanth Kumar)
  Re: corrupted RPM directory?? (please help!) (John McKown)
  LILO: Kernel too big ("Erik A. Mogensen")
  Re: Remote authentication ("I-Way")
  Re: Why partition a Disk? (Rick Hoffman)
  Re: Winlinux question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to print page range in Netscape/Linux (Frank Hahn)
  Re: Why partition a Disk? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: using gaim for linux (Rob Flynn)
  "Core" file (Federico Czerwinski)
  Re: Linux Windows Managers (jb)
  Re: Why partition a Disk? (Rick Hoffman)
  Re: Wierd SuSE6.4 problem (jb)
  Re: "Core" file ("Plathora")
  Re: Distributed file system (jb)
  Re: The Best Man Page in the Internet? (jb)
  Re: Need to find my IP address (Chris)
  Re: Howto use a funtion in a struct ???????? (jb)
  Re: Distributed file system (JEDIDIAH)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,alt.os.linux,comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Is JavaServer Pages alive in Linux?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 02:25:48 +0800

Hi, I'm a student attempting to use JSP in Linux but i notice few
questions in linux newsgroup on JSP. I would appreciate it if anyone had
used JSP in Linux and could share their experiences with me, good and
bad.

Also in particular, which free JSP implementations should i use

1) GNU ServerPages by bitmechanic, or
2) GNU JavaServer Pages by klomp

Thank you very much.

Regards
Funky

P.S. - remove CAP words in address to correspond

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote authentication
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 14:34:22 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "I-Way" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am setting up a network at home using only linux boxes. Is it possible to
> have a server hold all a persons work and authenticate their
> password/username when they log on to a terminal machine instead of having
> each machine holding a users account? (Their will eventually be many
> machines and many users so having all the users and accounts stored on each
> machine wouldn't be practical)
> Is it then possible to map the users home directory on the server to the
> local file system?
> I would hope to use KDE to accomplishe the logon if possible.

You are describing NIS (also called YP.)  It's been a standard in *NIX forever.

Home directories automounted when someone logs in via automount, NIS
passwords and NIS automounts.

DanH
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: Sky Cree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: POP3 Problem
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 11:45:52 -0700

Hi, I am using redhat 6.2 on kernel 2.2.12, on an hp ppro 200 system
with so and so mb memory.

Problem: I installed in.pop3d version 1.005l for my server and didn't
have any problems for 3 months.  All of a sudden I am getting this error
message: "-ERR being read already /var/spool/mail/user"

I had this problem once before, but only with a single user. I simply
had to remove the lock file for that account from /var/tmp.

This current problem is affecting all of my users simultaneously and has
brought down my entire system.

Furthermore I tried to install GNU-POP3d but also had problems.  I know
that sendmail is working, because I can access my mail through pine.
Gnu-pop3d gave me a similiar error: "-ERR bad login"

If anyone has had similiar problems, or if anyone has any suggestions as
to what I could do, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat 6.1 install woes
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 13:42:50 -0500

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I tried to install RH 6.1 on a P90 ASUS PCI/P54SP4 board, 64MB,
> 2 IDE (M-2.2 GB Maxtor, S-2.1 GB Quantum FB), ELSA Victory Erazor,
> Intel Etherexpress NIC.
>
> Nothing fancy, as one can see.
>
> Installing runs fine, I install a minimum system, on root
> partition of 2192 MB (or something like that), 350 MB swap on second IDE.
>
> But when I reboot first time I just can see the letters LI
> (obviously from LILO) and then stop. Nothing anymore. I can only
> CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>
> Tried this now three times, even with IDE Normal mode.
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In principle, the installation should have created a boot
floppy for you.  (If it didn't, reinstall but use the
upgraded Anaconda installation floppy images from the RedHat
Errata or a mirror site.  Actually, you could probably just
choose the upgrade option if you have already installed.)
Boot from that and use fdisk to
show your partitioning.  For IDE disks,
fdisk -l /dev/hda
fdisk -l /dev/hdb
will exhibit the partitioning information.  That way we can
tell if  you have encountered the 1024 cylinder limit.
For completeness, also show us what
more /etc/lilo.conf
shows, but I expect that would not be the problem.

If you aren't encountering the 1024 cylinder limit problem,
there could be some geometry mismatch.  You would have to give
us more detail about your BIOS and whatever else you can tell
us.   And of course, there could just have been some glitch
in the installation such that lilo was not run properly and
doing again will resolve the issue.

If you are encountering the 1024 cylinder limit problem,
although there is a new version of lilo which overcomes the
problem, you probably can't use it because your BIOS probably
doesn't support the extended BIOS call that is necessary.
You can try adding the linear option and see what happens,
but either you will have to repartition with /boot in
a partition below cylinder 1024, use loadlin or something
similar, or just boot from a floppy.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Prasanth Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can anyone clarify boot sequence?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 18:52:55 GMT

"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:

> Ok so the kernel starts.
> First how do you know where the kernel is ( OK it's in
> the /boot partition, but it's (supposedly) not mounted untill
> the kernel loads.
> Next the kernel calls init.
> Well maybe. How does the kernel know where init is?
> How does it get to it if the /etc filesystem is not yet mounted?
> Init may require several shared objects, how does it find those
> objects?
>
> Part of the point is that it seems like after the kernel starts
> /boot, /, /etc, /usr are accessible ( if not mounted ). So how do you
> tell the kernel where they are?
> What if you want a seperate partition for /usr/lib for example?

if you check lilo.conf, it specifies where the root partition is and
all the other partitions are mounted onto that. Ihis root partition
can be hardcoded into the kernel using rdev but normally lilo memorizes
it.
Everything you run lilo, it figures out the location on the drive of the
kernel and remembers its cylinder, and sector.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: corrupted RPM directory?? (please help!)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:47:57 -0500

On Fri, 5 May 2000 19:42:08 -0500, Jeff Rudis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I just upgraded my system successfully to RedHat 6.2 (via ftp from
>redhat site), and then download all the stuff from the latest rawhide
>release (april 28 i think), and upgraded the rpm*.rpm packages... now,
>whenever I run an rpm command, I get a bunch of errors. Here is the output
>of "rpm -qa":
>[root]# rpm -qa
>cannot open file /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm: No such file or directory
        [big snip]
I had the same problem and could not get 3.1 to work for love, money, or
threats. So I had to "back level" to 3.0.4. Luckily, I figured out a way
to do this since rpm itself couldn't. Find the rpm file for your old release.
Copy it to say, /tmp/rpm. Now do "rpm2cpio rpm-3.0.4.rpm >x.cpio". You must
change the first to the name of the rpm file. The second doesn't matter, it
just going to be a work file. Now extract from the "x.cpio" file that you
created. The command I used was:

cpio -i --make-directories --no-absolute-filenames <x.cpio

You will now have a file /tmp/rpm/bin/rpm . this is the version of rpm that
was in the rpm-3.0.4.rpm file. You can now run this and do a --oldpackage
and --force to reinstall the old version of rpm.

/tmp/rpm/bin/rpm --Uvh --force --oldpackage /tmp/rpm/rpm-3.0.4.rpm

Please change the file names to be what you need them to be. Oh, and once
the 3.0 version of rpm is installed, feel free to "rm -r /tmp/rpm". Or
maybe save it "just in case".

Hope this helps,
John

------------------------------

From: "Erik A. Mogensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO: Kernel too big
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 15:09:53 -0400

I am running SuSE 6.4 with kernel 2.2.14.  I compiled a new kernel but
am having problems.  When running LILO, I get the error that vmlinuz is
too big.  The kernel has been compiled with both make zImage and make
bzImage with the same problem.  The file size of the new kernel is
approx 465 kb.  The default kernel installed by SuSE is over 800 KB and
lilo has no problem with it.

Any suggestions.........
Thanks in advance...

Erik A. Mogensen

------------------------------

From: "I-Way" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 20:10:03 +0100

The users are only going to use LINUX terminals connected to a LINUX server
the problem is having them log onto a remote machine where work is going to
be stored and where their logon passwords can be authenticated instead of
duplicating every users account on every machine.
ps. Secondary problem is that the different users may need to log onto
different servers

Thank you

Ben Wyatt

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Rick Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why partition a Disk?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 15:51:17 -0400

> If everything's on one big partition, your options are limited and your
> chances for disaster recovery are less.

> Check the Partition-HOWTO:
> http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition.html for a lot of advice.
>
> You separate /, /usr, /var, and /home for safety.  If / gets corrupted, at
> least you can still recover the data from /home.  If some malicious user
> or process fills up /var, / still has space.  If /usr gets br0ken, you
> have utilities available in / that can get the system up to a working
> state.  Personally, I dual-boot to SuSE and RedHat, and I share /home and
> /usr/local between the two distros... that option wouldn't be available if
> I'd just lumped everything on one partition!

Ok, so many partitions allow the OS to be broken up into seperate pieces.  Your
mentioned a malicious user filling up space so I guess one advantage to
partitioning the OS into smaller pieces is to better manage memory?   So
partitioning the OS into seperate pieces is basically for security?

> As regards your original question, your backup disk will be difficult to
> boot if it's actually on /dev/hdc.  Some BIOSes are capable of booting
> from an IDE drive on /dev/hdc, but many aren't.  /dev/hda and /dev/hdb are
> often the only ones available to the BIOS upon bootup.  I'd suggest having
> a 20M /boot partition on /dev/hda, configured with a lilo.conf like so:
>
> boot=/dev/hda   # or whatever!
> map=/boot/map
> compact
> linear
> prompt
> timeout=100
> append="blahblahblah"   # whatever you need...
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>    root=/dev/hda2       # or wherever it is
>    read-only
>    label=linux
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>    root=/dev/hdc2       # root partition of backup drive!
>    read-only
>    label=backup
> other=/dev/hda1
>    label=dos
>    table=/dev/hda
>
> If /dev/hda fails completely, you'll have to boot with a floppy, of
> course, or you could just configure /dev/hdc with LILO in its MBR right
> now, and when something BAD happens, open the case and swap /dev/hdc with
> /dev/hda!  There's more than one way to skin a filesystem, after all.
> HTH.

You are just about on to what I am trying to do.  Using a third HD to backup
both my Windows HD and my Linux HD.  When I backup Linux, the backup HD is hdb.
Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to acheive.  If lightening should strike
and I somehow lose data on my primary Linux drive I want to be able to boot the
backup and use it as my primary until I arrange another backup situation.  Do
you see what I am saying?  Now my problem has been the inability to boot the
backup with everything working.  Its like I am trying to cloned the primary.

With Windows I simply use a tool that copies one partition to another.  Since
Windows is all on one partition, presto! your done and you can run the backup as
your primary if you wanted.  But with Linux I don't know that there are any
tools to do that so it is being MUCH, MUCH more difficult (its rather
discouraging that I have to go through so much hell to do this).

I have to mount the two backup partitions onto the primary drive.  I am using
"mount /dev/hdb5 /backup" and "mount /dev/hdb6 /backup/usr".  I copy directories
that I want on the backup hdb5 to /backup.  Then the rest of the directories I
copy over to /backup/usr which is hdb6.  Since the primary is all on one
partition (not including Swap) I have to correct the fstab file on the backup to
reflect its two partitions (not including Swap).  Now with LILO installed on the
backup I boot it.  What happens on the backup is the Xwindows system is screwed
up, the file system is read only and either both partitions are not mounted
(even though fstab says they should be) and/or the /usr directory on what is now
hda6 looks like /usr/usr/local/..., /usr/var/..., /usr/usr/home/..., etc.  Not a
pretty site.  All this seems like it should be so easy but Linux is not allowing
it to be.

Can anyone see what I am trying to do and what could be going wrong here?  This
to me is should be the best way to backup my software on just a standalone PC.
Linux is simply not allowing me to copy all files from one drive to another
seamlessly.

hoffy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Winlinux question
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 19:57:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Sathish SivaKumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have installed winlinux on a fat16 dos
partition.  Now I want to convert
> to fat32.  Do I have to reinstall my winlinux
if i do it? Or is the umsdos
> partition unaffected?

Winlinux's file names are not %100 compatible
with fat from my experience, so you will probably
have to reinstall.  I have had scandisk "correct"
\linux entrys, and it is then unusable.  I
believe almost any fat-fat32 conversion will do a
check of all file names before conversion to
prevent converting a corrupted disk.  Also
winlinux takes much less space under fat32 due to
the high number of tiny files.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: How to print page range in Netscape/Linux
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 20:10:04 GMT

On Sat, 06 May 2000 11:09:32 -0400, Nguyen-Dai Quy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For URL I don't know how to get it :-( But I have already a Perl script
>which used to add date, time and page number to ps file created by
>Netscape. I would like to get URL too, but it seems impossible for me,
>but maybe you know some tricks ...

There was a similiar thread to this a couple of months ago.  Try
searching for the following thread:

Subject: Re: Netscape printer fonts, page headers & footers

There was a script given there.  Maybe this might help the

Frank Hahn

Conscious is when you are aware of something and conscience is when you
wish you weren't.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 6 May 2000 20:14:49 GMT

Rick Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Check the Partition-HOWTO:
:> http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition.html for a lot of advice.
:> You separate /, /usr, /var, and /home for safety.  If / gets corrupted, at
:> least you can still recover the data from /home.  If some malicious user

: Ok, so many partitions allow the OS to be broken up into seperate pieces.  Your

Yes .. i.e. "modularized".

: mentioned a malicious user filling up space so I guess one advantage to
: partitioning the OS into smaller pieces is to better manage memory?   So

Memory? No, disk space. But the advantages are the standard advantages
of any kind of modularization.

: partitioning the OS into seperate pieces is basically for security?

No. For maintainability and managability (which you may call security).

You might, for example, probably expect to have one /boot partition shared
between all your o/s's, and also one /usr/X11R6 partition shared between
all your distros (if the distros have done it right) since XF86 isn't
controlled by anyone except xfree86 so the layout shouldn't be meddled
with (RH, you hear?).

You might also expect to have a small / partition (say 32-64M) to
minimize the chanze of a stray disk head wiping your root and also
to allow you to copy and restore it quickly (I mirror it to the
other end of the disk). And you'd expect to have a separate /usr/local
partition so you could share your additions between distros, and
also keep them safe from distro upgrades.

:> If /dev/hda fails completely, you'll have to boot with a floppy, of
:> course, or you could just configure /dev/hdc with LILO in its MBR right
:> now, and when something BAD happens, open the case and swap /dev/hdc with
:> /dev/hda!  There's more than one way to skin a filesystem, after all.

: You are just about on to what I am trying to do.  Using a third HD to backup
: both my Windows HD and my Linux HD.  When I backup Linux, the backup HD is hdb.

As I mentioned above, a small root partition mirrored elsewhere on the disk
(or on the second disk) allows you to recover easily without swapping
hardware.

: Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to acheive.  If lightening should strike
: and I somehow lose data on my primary Linux drive I want to be able to boot the
: backup and use it as my primary until I arrange another backup situation.  Do

You really need to look at the Partition-HOWTO.

From: Rob Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: using gaim for linux
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 20:30:03 GMT

Hrrm,.

I'm not sure what you mean by running the installation program.

Here's the steps to get GAIM to work via RPM:

rpm -Uvh gaim-0.9.14-1.i386.rpm

Via Tar.gz:

tar xvzf gaim-0.9.14.tar.gz
cd gaim-0.9.14
./configure
make
make install

That should be all you'll need to do.  If you have any other questions,
fire off and email  to me.

Thanks much

Rob Flynn
GAIM lead programmer

From: Federico Czerwinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Core" file
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 20:30:05 GMT

Hey! This site rules!, Here's the question: When i got an error (usualy
under X) a file is created, named "CORE", which is quite larger......can i
erase it? What is that file!? What's it for? Thanx a lot!

Federico

From: jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Windows Managers
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:35:18 +0100

George Bell wrote:

> Hello out there in Linux land..

[snip]

>     Also any comments on favorite windows mangagers would be
> interesting.

Check out http://www.plig.org/~xwinman/

This has links to config files and screenshots for many window managers.
Any of these should compile cleanly on Linux but I still use fvwm and
sometimes twm :)

------------------------------

From: Rick Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 16:44:09 -0400

> You really need to look at the Partition-HOWTO

OK, Peter, thanks.  That's what I'll do.  I am sensing that understanding partitioning
and how the file system interacts with it is key to becoming good at using Linux.
Right now, obviously, I am a little green with that understanding.

If you are so inclined can you tell me if you backup your Linux files and if so how do
you do it?

hoffy

------------------------------

From: jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Wierd SuSE6.4 problem
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:42:59 +0100

phil hunt wrote:

> I started using my computer this morning, to find it was running very
> slowly.
>
> When I ran top, I found the load average was 30 and it was running loads
> of "rm" tasks. ps indicated they'd all been started by cron:
>
> /home/philh#
> /home/philh# ps auxw|grep rm
> root      1120  0.0  0.2  1176  352 ?        S    03:00   0:00 xargs
>--no-run-if-empty rm
> root      1122 13.0  0.2  1020  324 ?        R    03:00  60:11 rm
>/var/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly

As root run crontab -e and comment out whatever these jobs are. I have
SuSE 6.2 and I can't recall what some of the cron jobs do (and they may
have added others since 6.2). I think one of them rebuilds the locate
database every so often but I'm not running Linux now so I can't check.
I think you also mentioned that rm itself doesn't work so I would
temporarily stop these jobs by commenting them out and then see why rm
is broken.

------------------------------

From: "Plathora" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Core" file
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 20:55:10 GMT

This is a dump of the process image at the time of failure.  It is used by
programmers to debug the program "post mortum".  You can safely erase the
file and aas an added benifit take a look at the "ulimit" man page.  There
is/should be an option to disable "core" images from being created.  There
is on all the other Unix flavours but I  can't remember the flag.

Plathora.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Distributed file system
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:55:56 +0100

Random wrote:

> What are the "stable" Distributed file system that can be use under
> linux ?

There's AFS but only the client part has been ported. It's much better
than NFS in my opinion. There's also Arla which is a AFS 'clone' I
believe. I don't have any experience with others.

------------------------------

From: jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Best Man Page in the Internet?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:58:20 +0100

> Hi All:
>
> I'll frequently need to look up man page while surfing.  Would you mind
> sharing you favorate sites for man page?

I would just open another xterm and type man <some command or function>.
I know I have all the pages I need installed and hate reading them in a
browser.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need to find my IP address
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:06:50 GMT

On Sat, 6 May 2000 17:51:38 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Anderberg)
wrote in comp.os.linux.development.apps:

>       int fd;
>       struct ifreq i;
>       fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
>       strncpy(i.ifr_name, "eth0", 5);
>       ioctl(fd, SIOCGIFADDR, (int) &i);
>       close(fd);
>       return (char *)inet_ntoa(((struct sockaddr_in *)
>               &i.ifr_addr)->sin_addr);

Herein lies one of my biggest complaints about the Linux development
environment: there should be no reason why an application programmer must
rely on undocumented "catch-all" calls to accomplish simple tasks.  The
"man ioctl_list" page is a complete waste of time-- it's hopelessly out of
date and only contains the argument type for each command without any
explaination of where, why or how each should be used.  Application
programmers shouldn't have to resort to sifting through the kernel source
code to figure out how to perform simple and common tasks.

People who write device drivers or kernel modules should provide a proper
man(2) or man(3) page.  Ideally, we should kill off the ioctl() function
and place all accessible driver variables in /proc.

------------------------------

From: jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Howto use a funtion in a struct ????????
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 22:02:41 +0100

Bonny Gijzen wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> I want to use a function in a struct :
>
> struct _Appstruct

To be pedantic, I believe the C standard reserves all names that begin
with an underscore so you shouldn't use one in your variable or tag
names.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 21:08:44 GMT

On Sat, 06 May 2000 21:55:56 +0100, jb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Random wrote:
>>
>> What are the "stable" Distributed file system that can be use under
>> linux ?
>
>There's AFS but only the client part has been ported. It's much better
>than NFS in my opinion. There's also Arla which is a AFS 'clone' I
>believe. I don't have any experience with others.

        You can mount SMB share in Linux as well. Although, those don't
        seem to be any better than NFS. (Yes, I've tried both head to head)

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.