Linux-Misc Digest #525, Volume #21               Tue, 24 Aug 99 14:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  WTB Cheap 486 laptop ("CybaShadow")
  Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: TARing to a backup disk (-ljl-)
  Re: KDE newsgroup? (Charles Mulks)
  Package management ("Steve")
  What is best HTML Editor for LINUX? ("Gilbert Groehn")
  Re: X freezes, how to escape? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Maximum Ram? (Quietman)
  Re: password on pine? ("Damond Walker")
  dual celerons??? ("Duy D.")
  Re: Looking for Astronomy (starchart) software. (Dave Huber)
  Re: SUMMARY: Re: tar hoses system ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: WTF is the difference between Linux and FreeBSD??? (Roland Latour)
  Re: Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape (NGUYEN-DAI Quy)
  Re: "starve the rotten little bastards" (Eugene O'Neil)
  Re: KDE newsgroup? (Philip Lehman)
  Re: CORRECTION:S3 greyed in 2.2.5-15 Kernel Setup!!]]
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: /usr busy on shutdown (Pat Heuvel)
  Re: SUMMARY: Re: tar hoses system (Jon Skeet)
  Installing RealPlayer 5.0 w/ Redhat 6 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: *nix vs. MS security (David C.)
  Re: MPEG2 support for Linux ? ("Clemence")
  Re: File system repair after crash (Eric Turner)
  Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"? (Craig Stewart)
  Re: LS120 Super Drive (Jared Hecker)
  Help: Samba and Printing (Jimmy Lio)

From: "CybaShadow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WTB Cheap 486 laptop
Date: 24 Aug 99 13:16:31 GMT

I wanna get a cheap laptop 486 with modem and network card to put linux on.
Does anyone have any suggestions please email me ok

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: Linux Journal or Linux Magazine
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:07:52 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:31:24 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny A.
Chaffin) wrote:
>looking for those who might have been reading either or both for a longer
>period of time to get impressions, opinions, etc. I hate subscribing to a
>magazine to find it's only filled with fluff and advertising!

Personally, I read Linux Journal. It has some good information.
However, you would be hard pressed to find information in the magazine
that cannot be found in one of the million online magazines.

---
Dustin Puryear

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TARing to a backup disk
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:29:44 GMT

In article <7ps9di$aia$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Al Nios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a tape backup at /dev/st0 - I performed a backup using the tar
> program, and the output was saved properly to the device. When I try
to TAR
> another directory, it seems that the first tar file on the tape
backup disk
> is erased? Is that how it's suppose to work? DO I have to append the
first
> tar files when adding new backups to the tape drive?
>
> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The other posts address usage of the non-rewinding device correctly.
Save yourself some typing by defining the environment variable TAPE,
which is honored by tar, mt, mtx, ... .

In one of "/etc/profile", ".profile", ... place:
  export TAPE=/dev/nst0
I think "/dev/nst0" (non-rewinding) is the proper choice.  If you wish
to overwrite a tape just issue "mt rewind".

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Mulks)
Subject: Re: KDE newsgroup?
Date: 24 Aug 1999 12:42:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Hello *,
>
>is there a newsgroup for KDE topics?
>My list doesn't show one ...
>
>Thanks,
>
>        Detlef.
>
>--
>Detlef Marxsen at 53 27 N 09 57 E.
>Due to bad spam experience, my header is faked. To send email to me
>remove the ".no" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Sorry for the inconvenience.
>May the bugs and computer-viruses eat the spammers alive!

comp.windows.x.kde

------------------------------

From: "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.linux
Subject: Package management
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:45:29 GMT

WorLord wrote in message ...
>Quoth the Raven called Steve Sanyal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>I just upgraded from RedHat 5.2 to Mandrake 6.0, and package management
>>seems to have become a LOT more difficult.
>
>I disagree entirely, but do go on… I'm interested in this point of
>view…

Well, I realize now that I was quite wrong with regards to Kpackage.  After
some experimenting, I found it was really good about finding uninstalled
packages.  However,
I am noticing some things that I really don't understand:

If I have check dependencies, replace files and replace packages checked off
when installing a package, I find something really strange happens.  The
package appears to install, and it appears in the installed packages list.
However, NONE of the files are actually installed.

If I try to reinstall it just using rpm --install on the command line, it
says that it's already installed.  So, then I try the replace options on the
command line and it says it is not installed!

I'm not quite sure why this is happening, because the man page for rpm seems
to say that replace packages and replace files will simply replace files if
they are already present, so if they are not present I would assume this has
no effect.

My only solution was to uninstall using Kpackage, and then reinstall  using
only the check dependencies option (however, this was quite a pain to do
after I had installed quite a number of packages).

Does anyone have an idea why this is occurring?  Am I misunderstanding the
intent of the command options?

Steve

------------------------------

From: "Gilbert Groehn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is best HTML Editor for LINUX?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:08:43 -0400

Does anyone make a HTML editor similar to
MS 'Front Page' for LINUX ?

Thanks
Gil Groehn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: X freezes, how to escape?
Date: 24 Aug 1999 12:58:35 GMT

Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?
If that breaks, get a 2.2.x kernel and enable "Magic SysRq".

------------------------------

From: Quietman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Maximum Ram?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:48:23 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am installing RedHat 6.0 on a dual PII 400, Tyan Tiger
> (1832DL) m/b with 1GB (PC100 256MB Registered DIMMs) of
> ram. The install script hangs on boot and gives a kernel
> panic error on 08:21 -whatever that means. I tried with
> both a bootable CD and a floppy disk -each time it would
> give the same kernel panic error on boot. I also tried
> the "linux mem=1024MB" option too but it still would not
> boot.
>
> When I took out two of the DIMMS and left 512 MB ram in
> the system, it did not have that problem. I was able to
> install RedHat 6.0 and was also able to put back the two
> DIMMs after the installation was complete and the machine
> booted from the disk just fine.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Does linux have a problem with 1GB ram? I thought Linux
> on Intel could handle 4Gigs. Also, how do I know that
> now that I installed the RAM that I took out earlier...
> -is it still available to the Linux OS in its totality
> -i.e. it is not using just 512MB. I am not sure if the
> second part of the question makes good sense, but if
> someone could throw some light on memory use under
> Linux, I would much appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time...
>
> Sandeep

I'm not sure that the problem is memory related at all, though it could
be.

The device that throws up the error - major number 8 - minor number 21 -
would be the fifth partition on the second SCSI disk. It could however
be that bad memory is causing the kernel to think it is getting bad data
from this partition. It might not even be the DIMMs, it could be cache
RAM.

------------------------------

From: "Damond Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: password on pine?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:49:54 GMT

kev wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>
>I've started to use pine. Wonderful, isn't it? No graphics, no mouse
>needed. Fantastic!

    And wonderfully bloated for a news/mail reader as well.  :)

>Anyway, I tried 'NewPassword' from the 'SETUP' section, but I got the
>message
>"sh: /bin/passwd: No such file or directory"
>
>Why does it not look in /etc for the passwd file? I guess there's an
>environment variable somewhere that isn't set right. I didn't see
>anything obvious in the .pinerc file.

    Actually, it looks like it's trying to run the passwd program to change
passwords.  This is normally in /usr/bin, not bin.  At least on RH6.0.
There's probably a config option (somewhere) to set the paths where it
looks.

    /etc/passwd is the text file which stores user information (users,
encrypted passwords, default shell, etc)....

    Look up information on /etc/pine.conf.  Check the tech-note docs as
well.

                    Damond

------------------------------

From: "Duy D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dual celerons???
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:32:14 -0400

Can somebody shed some light on how to configure a dual celerons?  (the
easiest way, no drilling please).  What is the best supported MB,
preferably with scsi controller? Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Dave Huber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.astro.amateur,comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Re: Looking for Astronomy (starchart) software.
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:10:03 -0400

There is also an Astronomy section at linuxapps.com.

--
Dave Huber

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Re: tar hoses system
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:28:33 GMT

Well, I upgraded to 2.2.11 and still have the same problems.  The
machine hangs completely and abruptly while doing a filesystem tar,
usually about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes into the job.  I'm using an adaptec 1520
SCSI card and a sony sdt-s7200 tape drive.  I tried manipulating the
scsi settings with no luck.

I should add that I'm loading the linux 152x drivers as a module, not
directly from the kernel.  I wish I still had windows on this machine so
I could boot out and test the hardware config without ripping the
machine apart; as it is I'm now starting to think maybe my SCSI cable is
the problem.  *BUT*, if any one else might have a different idea I'd
sure appreciate it.  This has become both annoying and personal!

Thanks,

Greg

In article <7orueg$72r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I meant that /download is the mount point of the slice /dev/hda6 but
> that the slice id (hda1, hda2, etc.) shouldn't matter.
>
> In any case, I have learned that apparently there is a bug in the
kernel
> version I am running...the disk buffers can become filled, killing
> processes.  I'll try upgrading the kernel and see if that works.
>
> Thanks to all who responded!
>
> Greg
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > tar cvf /dev/st0 /download
> > >
> > > where download is a filesystem (/dev/hda6 but that shouldn't
matter)

> > /dev/hda6 is a raw device not a file system.  Stick with actual file
> > systems when using tar, such as whatever is mounted on /dev/hda6.
If

From: Roland Latour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WTF is the difference between Linux and FreeBSD???
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:49:40 -0700

Dustin Puryear wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:02:14 -0600, "Jordan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> AT&T was not interested in making an operating system, specifically.
>
> Perhaps it would be even more correct to say that AT&T did not want to
> "sell" an OS. However, it did fund the research into what is now known
> as Unix.

Actually, AT&T as a regulated monopoly was forbidden to enter the
software (or any other) business. That was one motivation for the
breakup. After the breakup they sold the trademark to Univel, and
things went downhill from there.
--
Linux@CDSnet: http://home.cdsnet.net/~rolandl
"If everybody minded their own business, the world would go

------------------------------

From: NGUYEN-DAI Quy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:31:16 +0200

Michael Scheferhoff wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I want to backup my files with a SCSI tape under Suse 6.0 and I don't
> know how to do this. One tape is able to store about 3,5 GB. The only
> thing I know of the tape is that it is called DDS2.

Try:
$ tar cvf /dev/st0 <some thing to backup>
--
NGUYEN-DAI Quy , LTAS-ULG, Belgique.
http://bobo.ltas.ulg.ac.be/~quy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eugene O'Neil)
Subject: Re: "starve the rotten little bastards"
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:44:30 GMT

In article <iJ%u3.7323$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "guoquin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello.
>The ways of making money is more than what you have known so far in your
>knowledge.

Huh?

>The way of survive of course is different, but still out of your reach.

Whuh?

>Nutshell is for perverism and cowardism.

Eww! I still don't know what you're talking about, but it's beginning to sound
kinda sick. I don't want to hear about the weird things you do with nutshells,
I just want to get paid to drink beer!

-Eugene

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Lehman)
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:38:06 +0100

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:37:59 GMT, someone claiming to be
See sig for reply <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> is there a newsgroup for KDE topics?
> My list doesn't show one ...

I haven't heard of any, but there are several mailing lists (listed on
their site).

BTW: You have to put 'X-No-Archive: yes' in your header.

--
Philip Lehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: CORRECTION:S3 greyed in 2.2.5-15 Kernel Setup!!]]
Date: 24 Aug 1999 13:01:36 GMT

This happened to me, too. I read the source and it states:

Bugs : + OF dependencies should be removed.

AFAIK, that means that (in combination with some later comments) that this
driver is for PowerPC only (for now).

------------------------------

From: Pat Heuvel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /usr busy on shutdown
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:38:55 +1000

Gday John,

john connolly wrote:

> I installed a 3rd hard drive some time ago and moved /home and /usr to
> it. The system works fine but on shutdown the message /usr busy comes

/usr busy means that the system is still using something on the
partition while you are trying to shut down, which means the partition
cannot be dismounted.

The offending file(s) will be a library(libraries) (from /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib) and could be a link from /lib to one or more of those
files.

> Thanks,
> JWC

Hope this helps!
Pat

+  "Logic clearly dictates, that the strokes of the many  +
+   outweigh the strokes of the two..."                   +
+                             (Apologies to Mr Spock)     +

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:16:58 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Well, I upgraded to 2.2.11 and still have the same problems.  The
> machine hangs completely and abruptly while doing a filesystem tar,
> usually about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes into the job.  I'm using an adaptec 1520
> SCSI card and a sony sdt-s7200 tape drive.  I tried manipulating the
> scsi settings with no luck.
>
> I should add that I'm loading the linux 152x drivers as a module, not
> directly from the kernel.  I wish I still had windows on this machine so
> I could boot out and test the hardware config without ripping the
> machine apart; as it is I'm now starting to think maybe my SCSI cable is
> the problem.  *BUT*, if any one else might have a different idea I'd
> sure appreciate it.  This has become both annoying and personal!

Have you tried tar'ing to /dev/null instead of a real device? That way
you could possibly determine whether it was the input or output that was
at fault.

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing RealPlayer 5.0 w/ Redhat 6
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:41:32 GMT

I downloaded RealPlayer version 5.0 in rpm format from the real.com
website (the file is rv50_redhat5xi386_rpm) but every time I install it
(using rpm -Uvh [file above]) it seems to go fine, but when i type
"rvplayer" to run the program, it seg faults. I read some of the docs
and they say to copy these 2 files RAObserver.class and some other
.class file that are supposed to be included in the package but it
doesn't look like they are. Can anyone who has successfully installed it
on RH6 point me in the right direction? BTW: I have a p2-400 with 128
megs RAM. Thanks.

Chris Oldenburg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: 24 Aug 1999 12:26:23 -0400

Casey Schaufler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>>
>> A while ago, Microsoft defined to us the meaning of "heterogenous
>> network".  To them, it meant networking MS Windows 3.1, MS Windows/95
>> and MS Windows/98 and MS Windows NT 4.0 together.
>
> Um, that's not what I said. First, Microsoft didn't invent that
> definition, SGI (i.e. I) did. Second, networking together all of the
> listed products would produce a homogenous, not a heterogenous,
> network. A homogenous network is composed of a set of identical
> systems. For an evaluated configuration, that would mean the same
> version of the C2 OS on all the machines.

You missed the sarcasm, I think.

Everybody knows the actual definition of a "homogeneous" and a
"heterogeneous" network.

Microsoft, in their literature, likes to claim that a network populated
with nothing but different kinds of Windows boxes is "heterogeneous".
They're wrong, as you said.

By Microsoft's standard, you could say that a network containing nothing
but identically-configured Sun workstations running different versions
of SunOS 4.1.x is heterogeneous.  This may be true, under a strict
pedantic understanding of the term, but it's not useful as a functional
description of the network.  Software and security strategies that are
proven reliable under that configuration may blow up as soon as the
first non-Sun box is attached to the network.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Clemence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: MPEG2 support for Linux ?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:39:36 +0800

Try Loki Games (www.lokigames.com) or MpegTV SDK website (www.mpegtv.com)
Require at fast PC for the software decode.

Regards,
Clemence.

Alex Luk wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi,
>
>Could you please tell me where can i find the MPEG1 player and development
kit
>for Linux? We are currently working on a Video-On-Demand project on Linux
>project, we really need some help on MPEG decoder on Linux.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Alex Luk
>The Chinese University of Hong Kong
>

>Clemence wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am aware that there are Mpeg1 players and development kit for Linux.
But

------------------------------

From: Eric Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: File system repair after crash
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:33:59 -0700

Steve wrote:

> We had a power outage here yesterday, and when I came home I noticed that
> Linux was stalled upon reboot due to file system errors.
[snip...]
> I'd like to learn a comprehensive strategy/approach to repairing my file
> system after a crash.

The first thing I would suggest is to put the Linux box on an UPS so you
don't have this problem again. I haven't had to repair a filesystem
before, so I'm not much help there. Sorry.

Eric Turner

You can send something to me securely by encrypting it using PGP.
My public PGP key is available from hkp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Free PGP software is available from http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pgp-form.html

From: Craig Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the reasoning behind "stay away from root"?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:41:51 -0500

"W.G. Unruh" wrote:

> "Mazrim Taim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >A lot of these self-help Linux books, FAQs, and "words from UNIX gurus"
> >always stress the importance of "Don't do anything in root! You will screw
> >up your system!". But it seems as if almost everything that needs to be
> >done, needs to be done as root!
>
> Yes, and when you need to do them, just do su and become root while doing them
> The problem is that root has so much power that it is easy to do something
> stupid and disasterous. I once did
> rm -r *
> while root. I thought I was in a subdirectory, but turned out I was in the
> / directory. Not pretty.

When I was getting ready to install Linux for the first time, I wanted to make a
Windows bootdisk (wasn't comfortable with LILO),  and much like Mr. Unruh's "rm
-r *", I did del *.*, the exact same thing in Windows, except I wasn't on the
floppy, I was in C:\Windows, so I had to completely reinstall it because of the
lack of permissions.  That's one of the best aspects of Linux to me is the
protection you get against yourself doing something completely stupid, a
protection that you cannot receive if you run as root all the time, but I guess
it's a personal choice.

Craig

------------------------------

From: Jared Hecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS120 Super Drive
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:53:25 GMT

What if it's not a parallel port type?

From: Jimmy Lio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Help: Samba and Printing
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:46:01 +0800

My Mandrake Redhat 6.0 Linux box is running Samba which provides file
and printing services to Win'95/98 clients.  These clients can read from
and write to, but not printing to the local printer contacting to the
Samba server.  The Samba server is running with the following
configuration:

[hplaser]
    comment = HP Laserjet 5
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    printer = hplaser      <--- that's printer name used on Linux

The Windows clients can see the printer attached to the server.  When
the clients print to the Samba printer, they succesfully pass the file
to be printed to the Linux box (in fact, I tried 'ls' continuously on
the specified printer path... and files appear on the path once I click
to print on the windows clients)... but the files passed to the printer
path is gone in less than a second... and the files are not printed
out... and the printer doesn't even response to the print request from
the Windows clients.

I copied the files passed to the printer path to somewhere else and have
them printed with the lpr command... it works... Yet, I guess no one on
earth would like to do this manually on the Samba server every time you
print from the Windows clients... How should I configure the Server so
that it would really print... help help help...

Jimmy