  Re: --> KDE/GNOME Default Login Preference ? ("Gene Heskett")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aeon Flux)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.linux.slakware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Sound help needed
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:18:51 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:41:30 -0100, Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>The thing about PnP devices is that support for them *MUST* be compiled
>as a module. If you don't do it the kernel gets started first, along
>with the support for the card which will fail because the card wasn't
>initialised yet (which is what isapnp does). Isapnp can't start until
>the kernel starts the rc.* files.

Changing the bios options I was able to get my SoundBlaster PnP AWE64
to initialize on irq 5 at boot then setup my sound card in the kernel
(not as a module) which works fine.

Changed to non-pnp os and set resources to automatic which causes the
bios to initialize the card.

Aeon Flux

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oops, Need some repair help
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:40:44 +0100

And verily, didst Jeanette Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Hi Spike,

*Sigh* I hate it when they do that...
:)

Please try not to e-mail and post. I'd replied to the e-mail while my news
was downloading, and I hate having to reply twice to an article...

To summarise, I told Jeanette to post the exact error message that causes
the dump to single user mode, and maybe try the badblocks command and then
fsck again...

(I've never encountered a problem that fsck couldn't fix)

--
|                           |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:45:38 +0100

And verily, didst Jeanette Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> Hi Spike,
> Since my last post I reran e2fsck -f -b /dev/hda5 and hda6 and found a bunch
> of problems on hda6 which were fixed.  However my system still  boots up in
> RO mode.  Is there some kind of lock file or something that could be
> preventing this from mounting?

I've just been reliably informed that the fsck -c option is probably the one
you want. (That calls badblocks during the fsck command)

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|             in            | suck is probably the day they start making     |
|      Computer Science     | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

Crossposted-To: athome.users-unix,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: inews error - No such newsgroup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott E. Post)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:52:41 GMT

In article <Uh2y3.15586$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Conrad Sabatier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Scott Post  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>my ISP's news server.  That works just fine using trn with
>>NNTPSERVER set.  The problem is I can't post.  It looks like trn
>>uses Pnews to compose a post then sends it to inews for posting.
>>I'm using inews-1.7-4 and when I try posting it hangs for several
>>seconds then says "No such newsgroup as athome.test".  I can read
>>the newsgroup, so I know it exists.
>>

>Sounds like maybe your inews and trn may be incompatible.  Which version
>of trn are you using?  And where did you get this inews from?  Is it from
>the INN distribution or something else?  If you're still trying to use
>INN's inews with a remote server, I don't think it will work.
>
>If you're not using trn 4 (which has its own inews), I'd highly recommend
>you get it from the author's home page at http://www.clari.net/~wayne/

Thanks - upgrading to trn 4 did the trick.  I had just grabbed the trn
and inews packages willy-nilly off various linux ftp sites and I must
have gotten an inews meant for inn.

--
Scott Post   [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://members.home.net/sepost

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Watkin)
Subject: Re: SCSI tape drive suggestions?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:06:00 +1000

=============================
=============================

>The last time I checked all SCSI tape drives cost at least
>$500 and typically considerably more.   We have a relatively
>inexpensive Travan SCSI drive which I think is no longer
>available.   Try the web sites of vendors like CDW, PC
>Connection, and CompUSA.   You can also go directly to the
>web sites of manufacturers such as Seagate, HP, etc.
>
>I have a SCSI system, but for tape backup I chose an HP
>2.5/5 GB IDE drive.  There is a similar drive with higher
>capacity---4/8 GB, I think.   Recent Linux kernels support most, but
>not all, tape functions on these drives, and I have found mine
>completely adequate for backup using tar.  These drives
>typically cost under $300.

I have a Sony SDT-7000 and for the life of me cannot get the bus to
recognise the drive
on the end of the chain (and yep it's terminated at both ends, actually
have tried every
which way incase the drive or card had built in termination).  Have tried
it with an
advansys and an adaptec card (oh and another scsi hardrive I tried
couldn't be detected either).
Both cards are detected just not the drive.  I'm running slackware 3.5
kernal 2.0.34
anyone had any success with this drive or whatever I'm doing wrong?

MW

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: and I Panic too.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:14:38 -0500

Gabriel wrote:

> On 28 Aug 99 08:17:11 GMT, W.G. Unruh wrote:
>
> >"Gabriel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >>Trying to cure that, I used a rescue disc to boot, mounted
> >>my
> >>root partition ( which seems completely OK) and changed all
> >
> >>instances of sda6 to sda7 in etc/fstab , etc/lilo.conf and
> ( that was a typo in the post, actually I changed sda7 to
> sda6)
> >>etc/mtab
> >>( the last  one is probably superfluous--so be it.)
> >
> >Then while still booted with your rescue disk, you need to run lilo and
> >tell it to use the altered lilo.conf. So when you had the rescue disk
> >booted, the sd6 partition mounted say as /rescue, you run
> >/sbin/lilo -C /rescue/etc/lilo.conf
>
> more trials and defeats:
> through the rescue disk I booted directly to my root
> partition ( /dev/sda6).
> went ok, finaly saw my standard installation.
> then I did lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf.
> tried to boot -- got error 0x01
> rebooted through the rescue disk and found out that I
> forgot to update the boot= in lilo.conf.
> so I changed boot=/dev/sda6 to dev/sda5 (my boot
> partition)

You are still confused.  You don't want to put the lilo boot
loader in a logical partition.  It won't work.   The usual
situation either for a Windows/Linux dual boot or Linux
only system is to put it in the master boot record.  Thus
the first line should read
boot=/dev/sda
If for some reason you don't want it in the master boot
record, you can put it in an extended partition, probably
/dev/sda2 which I would guess holds your logical partitions.
But then you also have to use fdisk to make this the
active partition.

> try boot -- got LI  (which means something about secondary
> rebooted from rescue, "rdev " shows " /dev/sda6 / " which
> is correct.
> but "rdev /boot/vmlinuz" (the proper kernel on sda5) shows
> the old and wrong /dev/sda7.
> so I run "rdev /boot/vmlinuz /dev/sda6".
> now "rdev /boot/vmlinuz" shows correctly "Root Device
> /dev/sda6".

rdev is beside the point.  If you were booting the kernel
directly, it would be relevant, but if you use the lilo
boot loader and include the line
root=/dev/sda6
in the linux section of /etc/lilo.conf, then that tells
the booted kernel where the root file system is.  I suppose
that if you left the root=/dev/sda6 line out and had rdev
set correctly that might also work, but it is foolish to
depend on that since you would have to fix it every time
you upgraded.

> but the boot still get stack in LI.
> I reboot from rescue and rerun lilo as before.
> still stuck at LI.
>
> What should I do.

Follow my advice

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HowTo extract from a tar archiv ...
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:25:32 -0500

Chris Campbell wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand fully. Tar by itself, with no added command
> line parameter will not do absolute-path, so if you <tar xvf
> filename.tar> it will untar the archive in the pwd. It should only be
> when you do a <tar xvf --absolute-path filename.tar> that it will
> cause it to untar in the incorporated paths. Or am I confused?
> chris
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:13:35 +0200, "Markus Meng"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Hey and hello,
> >>
> >> I do have a tar archive on a tape. I would like to extract some files
> >> onto my solaris machine. However all the files on the archive are
> >> in absolute path notation...Is there a switch to tell the tar cmd
> >> not to try to restore with the absolute path notation, since I don't
> >> want those pathes on my solaris box ??
> >>
> >> thank's
> >>
> >> marcus
> >>
> >> --
>
> --
> Chris Campbell
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://members.xoom.com/tech33/
> Tech33 on the IRC

If you think about it a moment, you will realize that the filename
can't just be a name of a file.  After all, you could have the
same filename in different directories.  So if you are extracting
a specific file, you have to give its complete path specification
as listed in the tar archive.   If it is a relative path, tar
will extract just that path relative to the current directory.
But if it is an absolute path, it will try to do it from /.
Having said that, I must admit I haven't tried that with
an absolute path since the first time many years ago when
I first ran into trouble for so doing.  Old Unix hands NEVER
use absolute paths in tars unless they have a compelling
reason.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Watkin)
Subject: root consoles
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:18:27 +1000

I have a strange problem that I should like to fix.  My root consoles are mapped
via the file /etc/securetty.  When I login as root the first login is
usually ttyp0
then the next login goes to ttyp4, then ttyp6, then ttyp8, then 9 then
a-f.  Can someone
tell me why 1,2, 3 and 7 are skipped they are defined in the file.  If I
take out all the consoles
and leave only 0-4 I only get 1 shell so they aren't being called up
properly.  I know I have
lots of shells and don't need these ones but it's annoying me not to know
what's happening.
I'm using Slackware 3.5 kernal 2.0.34 any help would be appreciated.

Michael

------------------------------

Subject: Re: new to linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED](remove-to-reply) (Matt Friedman)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:36:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <7qai6a$dfp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi, I am really new to linux, so I want to obtain more info.  My system
>now is pentium II with two partition.  One partition is 2.0 gig for
>win95 and MSDOS, the other partition 1.0 gig for winNT.  Both partitions
>are FAT.  Where can I download linux and what version should I use
>because there are many different linux to me?  Is it hard to install
>linux?  I really appreciate your help.

I'm lucky. Because I was writing an article on Linux, I had the opportunity
to try a handful of commercial Linuxes and one freeware version [Debian].
If what you want is a desktop operating system -- rather than a NOS for
your server -- go with RedHat 6.0 or Caldera OpenLinux 2.0. The installs
are fairly straightforward and they'll configure your system without much
hassle.

Be warned, though, there's a lot of PC hardware out there that simply WON'T
work with Linux. Check out RedHat's Hardware compatibility list
[http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld.html].
It's pretty much applicable to most current versions of Linux.

If you're soundcard is not listed at compatible, don't even try to install
Linux. You'll note that I'm posting this from my Windows machine. That's
because my main production machine has the SiS 6326 video adapter ON THE
MOTHER BOARD! [I would not have purchased this model had I known that the
video was not on a card...] Until I find out how to disable the on-board
video so I can slap in the 8MB Matrox Mystique card I have handy, I'm stuck
using Windows.

My P133 with the PCI ATI Rage Pro is working fine with OpenLinux 2.0, thank
you.

MF

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks!
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:49:26 +0100

And verily, didst L. Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
>> > This warning message is issued by klogd(8), and IS NOT SERIOUS.
>> > I suggest that you read the appropriate man page.  By the way, you
>> > could have learned this by reading these newsgroups for a week or so,
>> > or by using the Deja archives.
>>
>> I know this msg is not serious, is nothing. But I think at least RH company
>> doesn't want you upgrade kernel.

> Oh sure.  RH wants everyone to never upgrade anything, even if a bug fix
> is necessary.  Please come back to something known as reality.

Any distribution will come up with the same error message concerning
System.map. All you have to do is copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux to
/boot... That removes the message... Simple.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                                |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"         |
|             in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!!|
|      Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                  |

From: Joe Laffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:27:45 -0500

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Jack Zhu wrote:

>I also find out that RH likes to invent some
> stupid stuff. For examples: everyone know there's a 'resolv.conf' file, and it
> exists in RH 5.0, but in 6.0, RH uses other file to replace it. I think this
> is very good example to show how stupid RH is. I mean, it's not RH 'invent'
> linux, it's just a distributor. This is common knowledge that 'resolv.conf'
> file is very important, RH should NOT try to change this. I don't know if
> Debian or Slackware has the file. But I believe they do have.

My RH6 install has a resolv.conf in /etc where it belongs...

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO

------------------------------

Subject: Re: dual boot win 98
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED](remove-to-reply) (Matt Friedman)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:41:59 GMT

Jeff Audette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I have my pc configured with win98 on hda1 and redhat6 on hdb1.
>
>Can anyone give me some help on how i can boot the system to have a menu
>come up with a choice to boot windows or linux. with a time out of 15
>secs or so to automatically boot windows?

Depends. Some Linux distributions, like RedHat and Caldera, come with boot
software. You could also go and get third-party boot software like
Masterbooter -- just search for it at Shareware.com. One thing to remember,
though is to be sure, when you indtsll Linux, NOT to install lilo on the
master boot partition.

MF

------------------------------

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:51:29 +0100

And verily, didst Jack Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
> BTW, in Derian, is there such warning msg when you upgrade the kernel?

Of course there is, if you don't update the new System.map file along with
the kernel.

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a   |
|                           |graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc    |operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in             |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company,that|
|     Computer Science      |       can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS: booting Linux from external floppy.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:35:38 -0500

Neil Zanella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any BIOSes out there that allow for booting Linux from external
> floppy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil Zanella
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every BIOS I've seen allows---and is usually set up for---booting
first from an external floppy disk.   Many people boot from
a Linux boot floppy.

It is true that many recent BIOSs are very slow booting from
the boot floppy made by RH5.2/6.0.  They are also slow booting
from some other floppies.  I don't know why that is the case,
but it takes so long for even the first dot that you think it
has hung.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

Date: 26 Aug 99 07:38:58 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: --> KDE/GNOME Default Login Preference ?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to vultan ;

Type "usekde" at a shell prompt.  Quite x and restart if the shell was
an x shell.  Works here anyway.

> Any idea on how to change the default login from Gnome to KDE ?

> Thanks,
> Peter

> Syniq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Bill Ripley wrote:
>>
>> > type "switchdesk" is vt window

> back

> GNOME/KDE

> somebody

> would be

>> Logout and log back in...that should do it.  On my RH6, I have to specify
> which
>> desktop I want each time I log in or I get GNOME--which, for some reason,
> is
>> not particularly stable on my machine (ironically, less stable than Win98
>:o)
>>
>> If that for some reason takes you back to AS, then log out again and, at
>> RehHat's handy login GUI, choose :
>>
>> Options>System>GNOME (or KDE)
>>
>> That should do the trick!
>>
>> Syniq
>> "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments"
>> --They Might Be Giants

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net