From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS: booting Linux from external floppy.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:05:19 -0230

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Leonard Evens wrote:

> Every BIOS I've seen allows---and is usually set up for---booting
> first from an external floppy disk.   Many people boot from
> a Linux boot floppy.

When I say external I mean a floppy drive that does not reside inside
the PC's box, for example one connected to the parallel port drive.

> It is true that many recent BIOSs are very slow booting from
> the boot floppy made by RH5.2/6.0.  They are also slow booting
> from some other floppies.  I don't know why that is the case,
> but it takes so long for even the first dot that you think it
> has hung.

I would be inclined to think that the booting speed would depend on
the floppy drive itself (as well as the size of the software that is being
booted) and not on the BIOS but I may be wrong.

Best Regards,

Neil

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert B. Love )
Subject: Houston-Galveston User Group??
Date: 29 Aug 1999 19:23:19 GMT

I'm looking for contact info on a possible Linux User Group
in the Houston area.  All pointers appreciated.

 Bob Love

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DOS Terminal
Date: 27 Aug 1999 17:15:20 -0700

"Mauro Bazzano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[wants to connect Win box as a dumb term]
> I mean the exact procedure, step by step. (I'm new at Linux too)
See the Serial HOWTO.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dual boot win 98
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:29:26 -0500

remove-to-reply Matt Friedman wrote:

> Jeff Audette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I have my pc configured with win98 on hda1 and redhat6 on hdb1.
> >
> >Can anyone give me some help on how i can boot the system to have a menu
> >come up with a choice to boot windows or linux. with a time out of 15
> >secs or so to automatically boot windows?
>
> Depends. Some Linux distributions, like RedHat and Caldera, come with boot
> software. You could also go and get third-party boot software like
> Masterbooter -- just search for it at Shareware.com. One thing to remember,
> though is to be sure, when you indtsll Linux, NOT to install lilo on the
> master boot partition.
>
> MF

Am I missing something here?   Why not just use lilo?  It may
not give a menu that you can cycle through with an arrow key,
but you can print out the contents of a message file telling
you what to enter or to enter tab to see what you can enter.
It seems to me that one would be going to a lot of trouble
for very small gain to use anything but lilo.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: JMV Nederhof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: qualitylinks, need something, find something
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:28:24 +0200

==============2D9FCEE7488D24A38A77C374

qualitylinks, need something, find something
need some linux resources or something else? check out
http://qualitylinks.virtualave.net and find everything you need!
know a good link that isn't located on the site? mail it to the
webmaster!

thanks

==============2D9FCEE7488D24A38A77C374

find something</a>
or something else? check out</a>
and find everything you need!<br>
know a good link that isn't located on the site? mail it to the webmaster!</a><a
href="http://qualitylinks.virtualave.net"></a>

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Shell Script
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:38:53 -0500

Jeff Grossman wrote:

> I am in the middle of writing a shell script.  Is it possible to have an
> if/then statement in a shell script?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> --
> Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Yes.  You should learn to use info.  The command
info
will allow you to go through a short tutorial in its use.
Then
info bash
will allow you to explore the bash shell.

To answer your specific question, the syntax is

if condition
then
        command1
        command 2
        .
        .
        .
else
        command3
        .
        .
        .
fi
However, it can be tricky figuring out how to write the
condition.  Study the info documentation, or get a book
on basic Linux, and do some experimentation.
P.S.  There is also an elif variation for multiple possibilities
and a separate case statement.  Study the documentation.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Jim Engstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: My Linux crashes more often than M$
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:43:02 +0200

Got a simular problem, it was my RAM that was the fault. Did run greate but
some time it just stop and reboot. It was a har work to find the right RAM
chip but i did it by remove a chip and hard run the computer 24h a day and
so on.....................

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Curtis Newton)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Setting up ATI Rage Fury with SVGATextMode
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:15:39 GMT

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:20:22 +0200, Didier Wiroth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Can someone help me to setup the RAGE Fury 32mb graphic adapter(with
>IIYAMA "Vision Master Pro 502" as Monitor)for the
>/etc/TextMode file.
>
>Here are some with technical infos:
>http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/products/pc/rage_fury/index.html
>
>The ati rage fury manual page:
>http://support.atitech.com/manual_pdf/rage128.pdf
>
>Thanks a lot for any reply
>Didier
>Luxembourg - EUROPE

Here are two URLS:

http://www.0wned.org/~cain/ragefury.htm
or
http://cnewton.home.mindspring.com/xpert128-linux.html
-
--
===================================
Curtis Newton
http://cnewton.home.mindspring.com
===================================

Due to USENET spamming, I had to modify
my reply to email address.

Please delete  ".remove"  to reply.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
is greater, for each violation.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic: and I Panic too.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:24:53 -0500

Dallman Ross wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.setup Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You are still confused.  You don't want to put the lilo boot
> > loader in a logical partition.  It won't work.   The usual
>
> Of course it will work.  You use another boot loader to get
> there.  I have done this for a couple of years.  I have
> linux loaded on /dev/hdc6 and have lilo there as well.  I use
> BootMagic and also the Win NT boot loader to get there
> from Win 98 and Win NT, respectively.
>
> --
>     \     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     .-.     /
>      \-d-/-m-\-a-/-n-\-@-/-n-\-e-/-t-\-c-/-o-\-m-/-.-\-c-/-o-\-m-/
>       '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'     '-'
According to the Lilo User's Guide, Version 21, dated 12/4/98,
you can't put the lilo boot loader in the boot sector of a logical
partition.  They add in a footnote that Lilo can be forced to
put the loader in such a partition, but they add that only
few programs that operate as mster boot records support booting
from a logical partition.  According to what you say BootMagic
and the NT loader can do that, but I don't think that contradicts
what I said.  In the sitution under consideration, I don't believe
he was using BootMagic.  Nor is there any reason for him to do
so.  It is perfectly straightforward to boot using lilo alone
in his situation.   He should have installed it in the MBR
of /dev/sda.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Jim Engstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More Netscape errors.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:49:23 +0200

Ahhh!
First the java bug, then netscape tell java itīs 16bit and now did my
sent folder went to cyber hell. When I send a mail or message Netscape
say "Mail sent but canīt fine sent folder." Where shall the sent folder
live and waht shall it have for name.
I start to hate Netscape, do any other browser exist that runs under X
and can handle java?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.51 aborts on starting Java
Date: 29 Aug 1999 20:22:45 GMT

Lam Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> found a keyboard
 and could not resist the temptation ....

>I have several Linux boxes running RedHat
>6.0.  All but one have no problem starting a
>Java console or running applets.  The one
>that does just disappears as soon as the
>message "Starting Java" comes up on the
>status line at the bottom of the Netscape
>window.
>
>The good ones are from upgrading RH 5.2 to RH
>6.0; the bad one is from a fresh installation
>of RH 6.0.  I've checked the Netscape files
>to make sure they're the same on all boxes.
>
>What am I missing here?  Any suggestions will
>be appreciated.

It might be something with the fontpath. You can find more info on
the redhat errata site.

Chau Hans

--
     Linux / Com21 / CMI8330 / FAQ/Linux search / Netbus detector
              http://linux.gelrevision.nl/index.shtml

------------------------------

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fsck after power failure
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:58:37 GMT

I recently had a power failure and lost my system. Upon reboot, I had
numerous file system errors. I ran fsck several times, and got rid of
all problems except for the partition containing /usr. After 45 minutes
of trying, I could not go into a normal boot, since fsck could not clear
up all the problems on this partition. I don't have a ups or a Linux
compatible backup device (Syquest Sparq 1 gb external ide).

Are there any other methods or tricks I could use to correct a file
system.  It is unacceptable for me to have to reinstall. Maybe I could
sue some options with fsck, or a third party utility.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thankx in advance.

Jim McIntyre
Webmaster Program
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: Beat Rupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is MS *.asf format supported?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:29:23 GMT

I have a decent movie in asf format here and unfortulately it only=20
works with windows netshow player. Any suggestions to get that running=20
in Linux?

Thanks,
Beat

------------------------------

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE vs scsi?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:31:46 GMT

Schiedermeier Reinhard wrote:

> Rod Smith wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >         David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > I use a Seagate Barracuda LVD 9.1GB model # ST39173LW it is capable of
> > > 80MB/s and works great.
> >
> > I doubt that very much.  I also doubt the 40MB/s figure somebody else
> > quoted.  Those are both limits for particular implementations of SCSI
> > busses.  Real-world hard disk transfer speeds are almost always
> > substantially lower than the hard disk bus speed.  You achieve bus speed
> > saturation only when using several devices or when transferring data
> > to/from the hard disk's cache.
> >
> > --
> > Rod Smith
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
> > NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me
> > Author of _Special Edition Using WordPerfect for Linux_, from Que
>
> I don't think that SCSI or IDE are faster than the other by design. In the
> end, the drives behind the interfaces are more or less the same. The point of
> SCSI is flexibility and performance under load. For flexibility: A single
> SCSI adapter supports many (different) devices (I have three disks, a Zip
> drive, a scanner, a CDROM and a CDRW attached to a simple AHA2940). For
> performance under load: SCSI works mostly without the CPU, devices can
> disconnect from the bus while running lengthy commands and so on. It is much
> harder to slow a SCSI system down than an IDE system.
>
> I think it is pointless to compare raw throughput. Try to burn a CDR from a
> CDROM, while scanning to a Zipdrive and then comile something. You will see
> the difference between SCSI and IDE (and this is why I stick to SCSI).
>
> Regards,
> RS

Check out the   Portico  site. There are some good tips available there on
improving disk access, as well as just about anything else concerning linux
performance.

Jim McIntyre
Webmaster Program
Dalhousie  University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Quinn)
Subject: Netscape not connecting to the Internet
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:17:57 GMT

Please could some one help with this problem.

I am using SUSE 6.1 and I have configured my
modem to connect to my isp. When I am connected,
I start up Netscape and after I type in a web address I
get the message cannot find server or something like
that.

Any suggestions.

thanks

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Linux has finally crashed^
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:34:08 GMT

[Newsgroups drastically trimmed due to ridiculous crossposting]

Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[...]

>>         Maybe you should edit /etc/fstab so that file systems are mounted
>> in synchronous mode.  It will slow down access, because they aren't cached,
>> but that's part of the price you pay for more reliability.
>> --
>>
>Is there some reason you don't just go with a UPS?

You mean, other than having nothing to be ranting about ?
;-))

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: What script executes before X11 starts?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:59:37 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:30:58 GMT, Joshua Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to autoload Xfstt during boot. The FaQ says to do so I must
>execute "xfstt &" few sections before X11 starts. Which initiate script
>should I put this line in?

What distribution are you running?
What is your default runlevel (found in /etc/inittab)?  3?  4?  5?
That will determine where you need to put your start command.

Mark Post

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: Beat Rupp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is this a Mandrake 6.0 bug?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:07:47 GMT

<snip>
> I even reinstalled and get the same thing.  Anyone else with mandrake
> get this?  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Yes and no. I'd love to solve that too!

> Thanks,
> Warren Bell

Beat

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is why RH 6.0 really sucks!
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:59:31 +0000

Jack Zhu wrote:

> I know this msg is not serious, is nothing. But I think at least RH company
> doesn't want you upgrade kernel. I also find out that RH likes to invent some
> stupid stuff. For examples: everyone know there's a 'resolv.conf' file, and it
> exists in RH 5.0, but in 6.0, RH uses other file to replace it. I think this
> is very good example to show how stupid RH is. I mean, it's not RH 'invent'
> linux, it's just a distributor. This is common knowledge that 'resolv.conf'
> file is very important, RH should NOT try to change this. I don't know if
> Debian or Slackware has the file. But I believe they do have.

Don't know what you did but there has been no change to resolv.conf, RH
couldn't change that unless they issued new libraries for the resolver
funtion which then would break other things.