Linux-Misc Digest #630, Volume #21                Wed, 1 Sep 99 14:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Building packages trashes my files system... (Norman Levin)
  Re: Executing a shell script ("Ben Gunter")
  Re: Executing a shell script (Leonard Evens)
  Re: PDFs for Linux (Dave Ulrick)
  deleted lilo, now stuck (Ed Kemo)
  Re: long filenames in ms-windows partition (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Executing a shell script ("Ben Gunter")
  Re: why not C++? (Don Waugaman)
  free subdomain under linuxsp.com ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to make SuSe linux support USB ("Willie Pang")
  Fonts not displayed properly in Navigator on Sun, Linux (Steven Lee)
  Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron... (Greg Leblanc)
  Re: Num-Lock on boot up (Villy Kruse)
  Using a rescue disk, Re: deleted lilo, now stuck (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: File change monitor for Unix? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: lpd question - page removal ("Matt")
  Re: OK, now it dials... What next? (Anita Lewis)
  Re: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died (Matthijs Hajer)
  Re: Wordperfect will *not* work! (William Burrow)
  Re: voice recognition on Linux. (William Burrow)
  Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?) (William Burrow)

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 06:59:18 -0400
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building packages trashes my files system...

Richard Mace wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Linux for the past few years and have come across this
> problem all too frequently when building packages and in one case when
> compiling the kernel. This weekend I was trying to build a number of
> packages
> I dowloaded from the internet. I get the tarball, unzip/untar it and do
> the usual
>
> ./configure
>
> make
>
> make install
>
> And things usually go okay (apparently) or I'm told to get a packages
> X, Y and Z before installing package W etc. However, upon re-booting
> after
> a failed ./configure for xmms (a WinAmp clone for Linux) I had a whole
> bunch of "broken" Inodes on my root filesystem. So e2fsck to the rescue
> and a whole bunch of files eventually turn up in my lost+found (this is
> a tad worrying....). They all looked like the C source for xmms so I
> just deleted them and didn't worry too much about it.
>
> Last night I tried to build xmms again ,and now a tad more wary of xmms,
>
> instead of doing so as root I decided to do so as myself (a regular
> user).
> Another failed ./configure (I need to get thread aware Xlibs) so I fire
> up netscape and my hard disk goes into a frenzy. I look at the log files
>
> and see that some program (netscape) is trying to fetch data beyond the
> limit of the device!!!  I do an ls -al of my home directory and I
> find a whole bunch of crazy symbolic links!!!!

Sounds like you have a problem with the partition definitions.  How did
you set up your parititions?  Did you use partition magic?  If you have
one partition overlapping the start of another partition, you could get
the effect you are describing.  You are only seeing the problem because
your partition may normally be 80% full, but when you ./configure your
new package, the new files created are filling the disk and as you are
approaching 95% full you could be overlapping the start of another
partition.  (this is JUST a guess)
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

------------------------------

From: "Ben Gunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: Re: Executing a shell script
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:27:10 -0400

George Laverick wrote in message ...
>I am attempting to install sample web pages from the book "Apache: The
>Definitive Guide.  Per the instructions, I cd to the root directory of the
>cdrom and execute the command "install/install /home/webuser/install.conf".
>I receive the error message "bash: install/install No such file or
>directory".  The file is there, I can open it in an editor, and I have
>checked the user privileges, and I have execute rights.  Can anyone
>suggest what I may be doing wrong?

That error can be confusing.  Look at the first line of the install/install
script.  It probably looks something like

    #!/path/to/interpreter

A lot of times, the path to the interpreter is wrong, and that's what causes
the "No such file or directory" error.  For example, it could be trying to
execute /usr/local/bin/perl, but perl on your system is in /usr/bin.

Since the script in question is on CD, probably the best you can do is
create a symbolic link to the real interpreter so the script can run.  In
the example above, you would do "ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl",
and the script should run properly.

Good luck.

-Ben

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:31:52 -0500

George Laverick wrote:

> I am attempting to install sample web pages from the book "Apache: The
> Definitive Guide.  Per the instructions, I cd to the root directory of the
> cdrom and execute the command "install/install /home/webuser/install.conf".
> I receive the error message "bash: install/install No such file or
> directory".  The file is there, I can open it in an editor, and I have
> checked the user privileges, and I have execute rights.  Can anyone
> suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Is the file /home/webuser/install.conf there?

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Ulrick)
Subject: Re: PDFs for Linux
Date: 1 Sep 1999 14:55:00 GMT

On 1 Sep 1999 05:22:31 GMT, Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kerry J. Cox wrote:
>>Does the Adobe available for Linux has any utility for making pdf
>>files?  I'd like to start making my won pdf files and I don't use
>>Windows.
>
>Ghostscript makes PDF files.  There are some at
>http://judi.greens.org/c/h/get/lilodocs.html
>but they look like hell.  (User Guide.)

I get results like that when Ghostscript tries to generate a PDF file
for a document that contains fonts that are not Adobe Type 1.  If I
use Type 1 fonts, I get excellent results.

>groff makes PDF files that look great.
>See for example
>http://judi.greens.org/lilo/lilo.8.pdf

Yup, that looks pretty good.

>Cameron

Dave
Dave Ulrick, Systems Programmer        E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Northern Illinois University           Web:     http://www.niu.edu/~ulrick/
DeKalb, IL, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Kemo)
Subject: deleted lilo, now stuck
Date: 1 Sep 1999 10:50:35 -0400

Originally my system contained two drives, drive 1 was linux drive with
lilo, drive 2 with windows 95. I installed a third drive. I accidentally
deleted lilo from the first drive. Now I have the third drive booting
with windows 95 and the second drive is not being recognized. The bios
sees it, just not win95.

I have a minix boot disk which I've been able to access the second drive
with. Seems the person who owned the machine before me used dosemu, a
dos emulator for linux, on the second drive.

I would like to retrieve the data from the second drive and move it
over to the third drive. Then I can load the latest version of linux
on the second drive.

Can anyone provide me with some assistance with my problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Feel free to email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] regarding this issue

tia

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: long filenames in ms-windows partition
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:48:00 -0500

Roch Plamondon wrote:

> Im running RedHat 6.0 and trying to access files on my windows98 FAT32
> partition, i made the modification in my /etc/fstab file but have  truncated
> filenames ( like docname~.txt) just the way i seee it under msdos.
>
> Is it possible to access them with the long name,
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Roch Plamondon

Mount the file system as type vfat.

Also, if a long file names has spaces in it, surround the
name with double quotes to address it.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Ben Gunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:58:43 -0400

Ben Gunter wrote in message <7qjdh5$gl7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Since the script in question is on CD, probably the best you can do is
>create a symbolic link to the real interpreter so the script can run.  In

I forgot to mention a couple of other possibilities.

1) The interpreter just isn't installed on your system.  Only solution is to
install it.

2) Rather than make a link, you could just run the interpreter with the
script as an argument.  E.g., "perl install/install
/home/webuser/install.conf".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Waugaman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: 1 Sep 1999 08:44:38 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaz Kylheku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:11:45 -0400, Mary Mest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>The actual purpose of those operators is to allow any class the ability to
>>define its own methods of streaming itself out.
>
>This is not possible. The << and >> operators take a stream object on the left.
>This means that they must be the members of a stream class, or non-members. We
>are talking about C++ right?

Sure.  You just have to extend your thinking enough to encompass the concept
that functions specified as friends in a class definition are just as much
a part of that class as full-fledged member functions, just with a different
syntax.

>A non-brain-damaged design for C++ streams would put the stream objects
>on the right, so that one could design object methods that accept the
>stream, not the stream accepting the objects.
>
>Of course, you can still do this, if you want, so the syntax becomes
>
>       my_object >> cout;
>
>which is preferrable.

The problem with this scheme is that chaining of output using '>>' and
'<<' is impossible, since the shift operators are left-associative.
Even if they were right-associative, your output would appear in reverse
order from how it was specified on the program line - might be good for
writing an English-to-Hebrew translator :-), but not so good for the more
common case.

This is a case where C compatibility reared its ugly head and trumped
other solutions that might well have looked nicer.

>The afterthought was the overloading for arbitrary objects. That is why it's
>awkward to do, with anti-object-oriented crap like non-member friend functions.

C++ is not a solely object-oriented language, hence being "OO-pure" was
not an overriding factor in its design.
--
    - Don Waugaman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    O-             _|_  Will pun
Web Page: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/dpw/            |   for food

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: free subdomain under linuxsp.com
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:07:44 GMT

IF anyone wants to have a subdomain under linuxsp.com ( something
like my-pc.linuxsp.com )point to their ip address, email me, and i will
try to help you

From: "Willie Pang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to make SuSe linux support USB
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:58:32 +0800

As Title

------------------------------

From: Steven Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x
Subject: Fonts not displayed properly in Navigator on Sun, Linux
Date: 01 Sep 1999 09:13:58 PDT

It seems many web pages are designed for Windows.  When I run Netscape
Navigator on my Sun or Linux, the font is sometimes too small to read.
For example, www.excite.com, is one of them.  The culprit seems to be
something like this.

<DIV STYLE="font-family: helvetica; font-size: 9pt">very small
text</DIV>

Are there fonts I could download (particularly on Linux) that can fix
this?  My last resort is to change my Edit->Preferences so it uses my
default fonts and overrides the document's fonts.

-Steven

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Dual Pentium II shows as Dual Celeron...
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:14:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Artur Swietanowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stuart Hall wrote:
[snip]
> > When I boot from loadlin I got the uncompressing linux and the
> > system hung for about 20 seconds when usually it just rips right by
> > that notification.
>
> Exactly what could be expected. Internal cache works with full
> processor speed, while with a 100 MHz bus speed, the external one
> gives you very little speedup (if any).

Uhm, no.  He said that he disabled BOTH the external and internal cache,
which would REALLY slow the system down.  But that's totally irrevalent,
since the P-II's cache has NOTHING to do with bus speed.  It runs at 1/2
the CLOCK speed of the CPU.

> HTH,
> Artur Swietanowski                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Institut für Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
> Universität Wien,     Universitätsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
> tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Num-Lock on boot up
Date: 1 Sep 1999 18:24:44 +0200

In article <7qjgst$n0n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>This my sound really stupid, but I have a pc that I need to have boot
>with the num-lock on.  We've set that in the bios, but it appears that
>linux ignores that.  I'm sure there is a setting that I can change, and
>I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where it is.

It is not stupid, and if you display the man page for setleds, you could
get some inspirations on how to solve this little problem.

$ man setleds

SETLEDS(1)                                             SETLEDS(1)

NAME
       setleds - set the keyboard leds

etc...

--
Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Using a rescue disk, Re: deleted lilo, now stuck
Date: 1 Sep 1999 16:08:16 GMT

In article <7qjefr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ed Kemo wrote:
>Originally my system contained two drives, drive 1 was linux drive with
>lilo, drive 2 with windows 95. I installed a third drive. I accidentally
>deleted lilo from the first drive. Now I have the third drive booting
>with windows 95 and the second drive is not being recognized. The bios
>sees it, just not win95.
>
>I have a minix boot disk which I've been able to access the second drive
>with. Seems the person who owned the machine before me used dosemu, a
>dos emulator for linux, on the second drive.
>
>I would like to retrieve the data from the second drive and move it
>over to the third drive. Then I can load the latest version of linux
>on the second drive.
>
>Can anyone provide me with some assistance with my problem?
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>Feel free to email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] regarding this issue

Get a Debian Rescue Disk, or use the Red Hat or SuSE install disk to
boot Linux into RAM.  Go to the second console (alt-F2) and get
a shell.  Ignore the installation program running on the first console.

Run fdisk -l to see the partition tables.

Make directories as needed in the Linux-in-RAM, mkdir /a /b /c
Mount the appropriate partitions on the directories,
mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /b
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /c
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /a
or whatever.

Now you can cd to /b or /c, make directories on /c as needed,
and cp -av the interesting directories from /b/whatever to /c

When you are done,
 cd / ; umount /a ; umount /b ; umount /c
and do control-alt-del.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.misc
Subject: Re: File change monitor for Unix?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 11:09:39 -0500

Lucius Chiaraviglio wrote:

>         Does anyone know of a utility for any Linux and/or *BSD (or
> for that matter, any other Unix) which will log all file changes
> (creations, modifications, deletions, and moves/renames) on a system?
> It should, of course, exclude its own log file(s), system swap files
> and memory image files, optionally other user-specified files which
> are modified all the time, and optionally temporary files which are
> created and then deleted during the monitoring session.  Preferably,
> it should also be able to give you a diff-style output of the modified
> files (before/after comparison, selectable for text only or text and
> binary).  Automatically making a backup of deleted, altered, or
> replaced files (optionally limited to just the version present before
> monitoring started, in case files are rewritten multiple times during
> a session) would be a bonus.

One could certainly write such a shell script using the find
command.  But are you sure you need this?

>         The purposes of this utility would be multifold, similar to
> but more broadly applicable than the use of "uninstaller" programs for
> Windows:

If you are using a flavor of Linux such as RedHat which supports
rpm packages, you can verify any rpm package by using rpm commands.
rpm -V will tell you if there are missing files or if some of
the files have been modified and how.   You can also use rpm
to install, remove, or upgrade packages.  I find this much easier
to use than the Windows add/remove utility or Uninstaller.
But Linux is a different OS from Windows and one should avoid
thinking in Windows categories.

> 1.      If you are installing an application, utility, or system
>         upgrade and don't trust the installation program, at least you
>         can find out what it did (and know exactly which files to
>         restore when it fries them).  You will also know which files
>         to scan for viruses after the installation program extracts
>         them from some archive format that your anti-virus program
>         cannot read inside (unless the installation program does
>         something unfriendly like executes code archived in such a
>         format before giving you a chance to do your scan, in which
>         case you have to scan EVERYTHING).  For this, you will usually
>         only need the beginning and end states of altered files
>         (including new files) relative to the monitoring session.

Under Linux you don't have anti-virus programs because viruses
in the usual sense don't apply under Linux.

> 2.      If you are trying to debug an installation program, the
>         use is as for #1 above, except that this could require logging
>         of intermediate states of files, including files which are
>         created and deleted during the monitoring session.

I haven't done it, but I believe the rpm package utilities provide
everything you need to build such a package.  Also, you can just
create tar files with installation scripts for your application.

Here again, remember that Linux is very different from Windows.
There is no registry to worry about.  And no Linux application
should try to mess with standard system libraries as may sometimes
happen under Windows.   Everything is much more modular under
Linux and one has a better understanding of exactly what is
happening.

> 3.      If you are trying to figure out where something stores its
>         configuration information (and just what that information is
>         for a certain configuration) and the documentation doesn't
>         tell you (or doesn't exist), this would be an excellent way to
>         find out.  For this, you will usually only need the beginning
>         and end states of altered files (including new files) relative
>         to the monitoring session.

All the methods I've seen for installing Linux applications are
fairly clear about where they keep configuration information.

> 4.      This could help you track an infection of a virus or worm (or
>         the action of a Trojan Horse program) not detected by your
>         anti-virus program, although this should not be regarded as
>         bulletproof for this purpose (malware may bypass normal
>         channels for doing things and/or tamper with the logging
>         mechanism).  For this, you would need continuous monitoring
>         with logging of intermediate states (including files which are
>         created and deleted or modified and then restored to their
>         original state and possibly their original date/time stamp
>         during the monitoring session).  You would also need the
>         ability to read the log file(s) without interrupting the
>         monitoring session.

Again rpm -V can be used for this purpose, although of course
one would have to be sure rpm itself had not been modified.

There are security packages for Unix systems which use standard
Unix commands which are also available under Linux.   I don't
remember the name of such a package.  But typically it might
compute a checksum for every file in the system which would
be saved for later comparison.  Usually one would keep the
program and any information it stores on something not accessible
to a user, e.g., by putting it on a floppy which is not normally
inserted in the floppy drive.

Perhaps someone could provide more details about such systems.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lpd question - page removal
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:08:28 -0400

Try adding the sf option to the printcap entry.  I believe it's for suppress
footer.  Read the man page for printcap
for a better explanation.

news:7qipro$6f6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Subject: Re: OK, now it dials... What next?
Date: 1 Sep 1999 09:54:10 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:47:31 -0400, Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm now able to dial to my access provider, but how do I get on?  Is there a
>howto that explains how to do this in simple layman's term?
>
>Scott

http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide  is an easy to read Guide and has PPP
setup. http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html  is very thorough and
leads you through some diagnostic processes if your dial-up doesn't work.

Anita

------------------------------

From: Matthijs Hajer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: kppp connects and immediately disconnects with pppd died
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:07:03 +0200

some time ago the following answer was written:

change the line termination from cr/fl (or something like that) to cr or
lf. Try it.

grn Matthijs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Wordperfect will *not* work!
Date: 1 Sep 1999 16:39:02 GMT

>>Hi- When I was running Red Hat 5.2, I installed Corel Wordperfect and
>>all went
>>well.  Now, with a new computer and 6.0, I install it and no matter what
>>I've tried,
>>it seg faults when it first starts loading.  Corel's page suggested
>>installing libc5,
>>which I did, but this did not bring any success.  Any ideas?

I had a similar problem.  For some reason, wp seemed to require libc5 X
libs as well.  Fortunately, I saved my entire libc5 X11 tree for just
such purposes and use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point
wp in the right direction.  This may not be useful to you, but I'd like
to hear from people who didn't have to do this as well.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: voice recognition on Linux.
Date: 1 Sep 1999 16:30:29 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 13:35:24 +0100,
Justin Clancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:
>> Can someone tell me kind of voice recognition software is out there
>> for Linux?
>
>There are two systems I know of:
>
>ears - but I think that development has stopped on this.
>kvoice - the KDE program.  I use this and it works quite well.  It tends

Isn't IBM porting ViaVoice, or is my recollection way off?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: The optimization debate (was: why not C++?)
Date: 1 Sep 1999 16:25:26 GMT

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:19:11 GMT,
Stephen E. Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:18:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
>wrote:
>>Once optimized once, it's harder to optimize the code again.
>
>If this werent true, all processes would converge to O(1),
>and all data sets would compress to a single bit.  Ultimately
>there is a minimum amount of work that has to be done to
>perform every task, and you cant optimize a process beyond
>that minimum.  Its not unusual or unexpected for this bound
>to be approached asymptotically.  Outside a particular context,
>you cant generalize this to imply when any optimization may be
>made to have the best chance to achieve that minimum, and
>indeed, poor system design can prevent later optimizations
>from being effective without redesigning the whole system.

Wow, ten lines that basically repeats what was said in one line.  Only
on USENET. ;)

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\
Eschew obfuscation.                             ~  ()>()