From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Notepad for Linux?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 02:38:21 GMT

Scribbling furiously, Andrew Purugganan managed to write....
: Is there a Notepad-like tool for Linux? Please don't give me somthing
: that needs GNOME/KDE Thanks Please reply by e-mail

Vi!

;-)

--
Big Daddy

The law will never make men free; it is men who have got to make the
law free.

                -- Henry David Thoreau

------------------------------

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions.
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:20:16 GMT

Well, if you're going with software RAID, stay away from NT.  When we
had RAID5 on IDE disks last year some time, we had to rebuilt the set
about every few days.  Even when we went to mirrored SCSI, it got
rebuilt about once a month.  We've been shelling out for SCA chassis,
and UW raid cards for our servers, so that we don't have to deal with
the trouble of rebuilding the RAID all the time.  We never really had
any trouble with our Netware 4 servers and mirroring, but we never tried
anything else.
            Greg
In article <7qlbqg$2qc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In article <7qhrph$heg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <7qgbqv$cec$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I am in the process of configuring and setting up some
Linux
> > > servers for my company, [snip]
> > >
> > > The question is this... software or hardware based RAID?  And what
> > > are the hardware requirements?
> >
> > I think that setting up software raid in Linux for a company is a
> > very bad idea at this time.  I have done a kernel patch in kernel
> > 2.2.11 to stripe a couple of drives together as an experiment, but
> > no way would I do this on a machine used for business.
> >
> > Depending upon how dead in the water your company would be if the
> > RAID array has problems, I'd recommend finding a company that does
> > this professionally.  You need to decide how fault tolerant the
> > system needs to be, and provide for a backup mechanism that is fast
> > enough so that you're not backing up during high-usage times.
> >
> > I know, this isn't exactly the question that you asked, but I felt
> > strongly about this and wanted to make sure you had taken these
> > factors into account.  There's just so many factors to take into
> > account when choosing a RAID+backup solution that I'd personally
> > stick with proven SCSI hardware, known redundancy, hot-swapping
> > of bad disks and fast tape backup.  You may find that backing up
> > 250Gb of data requires a very expensive tape drive, like digital
> > linear tape.  Scary to get it wrong!
>
>    Well I would rather use Linux for our fileserver than Netware or
NT.
>  From what I have read it seems that there are somewhat reliable RAID
> drivers for Linux (in 2.2.x at least), reliable enough that many
people
> seem to be using them and various distributions such as Red Hat
> advertise it as one of its key features.  But if software RAID support
> is not as stable as you seem to be implying then thats something Linux
> needs if its going to be considered a legitimate player in the
> fileserver arena.
>
>    Anyway the 250gb RAID I mentioned was just the scratch/temporary
> filesystem, no backups will be kept of that one and if it fails i'll
> just rebuild it, no problem really.  It will be a RAID0, just
striping.

>    The RAID that needs backups is the main file server, ~50gb, and
I'll
> be using RAID5 for that one and I will be keeping backups with
multiple
> tapes on my DDS3 drive just in case of multiple disk failures.
>
> > As a note, there is a mail archive for linux kernel RAID that's
> > worth looking into:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid%40vger.rutgers.edu/
> >
> > Good luck with your storage quest.
> >
> > - Leo
>
>    Thanks for the info, i'll post a message there.
>
> Introvert

It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH on Intel CA810 motherboard?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:51:24 -0400

> RH 6.0 run on an Intel CA810 motherboard OK?
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         John
>
> --
>
> John Conover, 631 Lamont Ct., Campbell, CA., 95008, USA.
> VOX 408.370.2688, FAX 408.379.9602, whois '!JC154'
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www2.inow.com/~conover/john.html

I believe the video chip built into the 801 mb won't work.
I guess you could put some other video card on the thing though ?
It seems that Intel has been refusing to release the proper specs on
this chipset.

------------------------------

From: Alistair Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Star Office 5.1: Is it just me ...
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:34:06 +0100

... or does anyone else consider it to be THE most unreliable Linux
app in widespread distribution.

My frustration is that what it does it does well (albeit at huge
processor and memory loading). But, as they say, memory is cheap, and
I don't have other users to worry about.

My real bugbear is that the app crashes one hell of a lot.  It just
crashed my X-server (on my Linux box -- not this NT one ;-) and
regularly falls over for no apparent reason. For example, I have one
particular Word file that WordPerfect 8 for Linux will convert and
open no problem, but which makes the entire Star Office system crash
if I ever try to open it.

Also, my Linux machine is a laptop -- and absolutely reliable whether
running "plain" linux, X, or (most frequently) KDE. However, if I
suspend with Star (and only star) I can be certain that all will not
be well when I wake the machine up again.

Maybe it's me. I'd really like Star Office to be reliable because what
it does is great. As it stands, I have WordPerfect, and I just cannot
wait for the forst proper release of koffice!

Regards
Alistair

PS O gawd! (he says, glancing over to his laptop that has now come
back to life with several zombies still reported by top), now it's
doing occasional disc accesses, about one every two seconds or so. It
does not do that usually!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: (Q) What is the advantage of KDE/GNOME applications?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:09:20 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy)
spake unto us, saying:

>What exactly is the advantage of a KDE or GNOME application,
>over a standard application launched through a kdelnk or
>GNOME launcher?

It's my understanding that programs written to the specific desktop API
are able to use a number of services common to that desktop, and not
usually available to X programs not written to that API.

>Both KDE and GNOME seem to pride themselves on their burgeoning
>collections of applications, most of which are replacing standard
>and perfectly acceptable programs.

No, "replacing" is not the correct work.  The other programs are still
there, and are still viable options.  Even under KDE or GNOME.

>Personally, I would much prefer a well tested program
>rather than an untested but KDE- or GNOME-aware one.

Then continue use the "well tested program" you prefer.  This isn't an
us-versus-them scenario.

>Am I missing something?

I think you're reading way too much into what the KDE and GNOME folks
are doing, and I'm sure documentation volunteers are quite welcome.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
     OS/2 + Linux + BeOS + FreeBSD + Solaris + WinNT4 + Win95 + DOS

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: World Linux Day -- 17 September
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 02:42:48 +0000

Phil Hunt wrote:

> It will be Linux's birthday in a fortnight's time -- on the
> 17th of September, to be precise.
>
> We could:
>
> * give our Linux distro CDROMs to someone who is currently labouring
> under the yoke of an inferior OS, making sure to point out to them
> that under Open Source licenses, this is perfectly legal.
>
> * ceremonially burn any copies of Microsoft software lying around
> (this is optional; some people are fortunate enough not to have
> any contact with same).
>
> * wear a Linux T-shirt, drink coffee from a Linux mug
>
> * go out and get pissed (OK, not strictly Linux-related)
>
> Any other ideas?

I am in the Massachusetts south shore area. Just a few miles south of
Boston, off Rt-3. Anyone planning something, just e-mail me and I am
willing use my web services to aid the cause.

BTW: If you are a non-linux user, but would like to be one, and you are
in my area. Drop me an e-mail and maybe I can make a copy of RedHat 6.0,
Mandrake 6.0 (my current favorite), SuSE, Caldera, or Debian.

($2 may be required to cover the cost of the CDR disk, I'll donate time,
not materials)
--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:52:30 -0600
From: Howard Brazee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Add Linux to OS/2 boot manager

HPFS?  I don't need to reformat first?

I suppose I need to have my partition small enough to hold FAT16, so I
guess I'll go to Partition Magic and format it anyway to get it the
largest possible FAT16 I can get.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Holger Marzen)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.aix,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: tn3270 questions; need help
Date: 2 Sep 1999 18:09:05 GMT

In article <cTmu3.4406$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. Otto Tennant) writes:

> This is a question about tn3270 in general, not about the particular
> operating system it is running on.
>
> There is a central computer and several remote terminals.  (They
> happen to be IBM 3101s, but they could be anything, even an ADM-3a.)
> The remote terminals are connected to a "terminal server" which
> has an IP address (192.168.10.2, just to be definite.)  The several
> remote terminals respond to ports 2000, 2001, 2002, and so on as
> telnet sessions.
>
> When I boot up the central computer, I want to treat these remote
> terminals as 3270s and splash a legacy logon screen to them.

- Install tcpip on the host
  or
- Install some hard/software (i.e. Open Connect Software) that
  acts like a IBM 3174 to the host and like a tn3270-server to the
  ip-world.

------------------------------

From: Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: two networks
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:26:19 -0400

Tony Green wrote:

> Did it work though :-?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > That's for sure. I didn't know you can assign the default gateway on the
> > fly.

Also

>ps -ef | grep  ppp
root      3151   975  0 18:18 pts/3    00:00:00 kppp
root      3152  3151  0 18:18 ?        00:00:00 kppp
root      3153  3152  0 18:19 ttyS2    00:00:00 pppd 57600 -detach
:###.###.###.###

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Notepad for Linux?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 02:22:58 GMT

Is there a Notepad-like tool for Linux? Please don't give me somthing
that needs GNOME/KDE Thanks Please reply by e-mail

--
Andy Purugganan
annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet access with ASDL
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:31:06 GMT

I've got RH5.2 using ADSL through PacBell. Yes it works, and yes I often
get T1 download throughput (1.5Mbps) even though I'm only paying for
384Kbps, and yes it only costs $40 or $50 a month (I can't remember).

One bummer is that PacBell experiences occasional outages that last for
hours.

The other bummer is that the Alcatel 1000 network terminals they provide
are less than robust, and according to the service rep, aren't designed
for 24/7 use. They overheat and need to have their capacitors drained
every so often. When I complained about this, the rep said, "That
shouldn't be a problem, though, because computers need to be rebooted
every few days as well." I said, "Not if it's a Linux box" to which he
replied, "Oh....I guess you had better keep an eye on that modem [sic]."

I wouldn't do anything mission critical on it, but it's a great value for
recreational computing and networking.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:58:24 +1000

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Mark Bratcher wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> Thanks for bringing up that topic. :-)
>
> > I'm taking a class on operating systems.  During the last class, the
> > instructor mentioned that *nices are less reliable and less secure than
> > Microsoft OS's.  His reasoning is that because *nices (espeically linux)
> is
> > free and everyone has access to it, it's less secure.  Random people can
> > hack into a *nix system easier because they can figure out the interrupts
> > and stuff, since it's a free OS.

I think he is talking about security in a different sense that any of us
might think.  SECURE TO  HIM MIGHT BE 'I am unable to adjust the inside
settings, it must be secure because I don't know how to do anything.'
whereas we might think of SECURE as I know enough to make the system
behave according to my specifications, all attempts to do something
unauthorized is not allowed.

The difference in understanding security might be the misunderstanding
that a hackable OS is less secure because it is hackable.  And that a
non-hackable system ie windows only allows well documented prethought
manipulations that are all legal.  (THE MS Legal team looked through it:)
maybe)

> That's a ridiculous argument. Public domain doesn't make something easier
> to crack. As an example, the DES encryption standard is public domain. You
> can even find code that implements it. But it is very secure (albeit, it
> has been superceded now).
>
> How secure is Windows NT? Well, here's an example. We have NT 4.0 running
> here. My administrator (a rooky right out of school) forgot his Admin
> password. He didn't know what to do at first, but after searching the WWW
> for 5 minutes he obtained information that allowed him to crack it easily.
> I've been trying to figure out why NT is rated C2 secure...duh.
>
> > I questioned the fact that the majority of servers on the internet use
> some
> > flavor or *nix.  He answered saying that only small size companies use
> *nix.
> > Everyone else uses something more secure (he meant MS I'm assuming).
>
> Only small size companies? I think he's making this up. Did you ask him if
> he owns MS stock? Or, he's only been reading MS propaganda.
>
> > I wanted to know what everyone here thinks about this.  I'm a firm
> believer
> > thatn *nix is a very stable, secure system.
>
> Good for you! It's certainly more secure than any flavor of Windows.
>
> Mark

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

I spoke to one of my Tutors who indicated the the major trend in Australia
is in using MS WINNT.  He did indicate that any exprience in Unix would
insure a market catagorie to "SLIDE INTO"  I certainly hope there is
something I can do to insure I don't get caught up administering a system
which is philosophically flawed.

Leo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:12:43 +1000
From: M van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /sbin is gone? help!

Jeff Fedor wrote:

> / was 100% full and i picked the wrong directory
> (/sbin) to sym link to another partition.

On my machines /usr, /var and /home are on
seperate partition. If you look in the FHS,
it actually says that the distinction between
/sbin and /usr/sbin (or /bin and /usr/bin) is that
stuff in /sbin might be needed before /usr
is mounted.

> when booting, i discovered that only the /
> partition is mounted read-only and it needs
> stuff in /sbin to finish booting. since i
> moved /sbin to a partition that is not mounted
> during this initial boot phase, i'm SOL.
>
> any advice? i mostly would like to get to /home
> (which is in yet another partition) and dump to
> tape, then call it a day, but full recovery
> would be nice.

Boot off a floppy, or backup disk (ie a CD),
and move the directories as they were.

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia

------------------------------

From: Trevor Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Anyon have a working REAL PLAYER in Caldera 2.2
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:10:42 GMT

Gilbert,
        I installed 5.0 and got it to work by copying all the lib*.* to the
/lib directory and it worked.  I then installed the G2 alpha RPM and it
also worked and I can get it to work as a plugin in Netscape.  I don't
know if installing 5.0 first made G2 work or not but it didn't hurt.
        Good Luck!

        Trevor

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: NeoMagic X server (laptop) under Debian: Possible?  How?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 02:08:27 GMT

Kenny McCormack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I installed Red Hat 6.x on a laptop, and it found and supports my video in X
: just fine - Says it is a Magic Graph NM2160 - and it is supported by the
: SVGA server in 16 bit, 1024x768.
<snip>
: Now, when you run 'startx', it should work (it works for me), but there sure
: should be an easier way...
Congratulations Kenny! I didn't have a NeoMagic, but I did go thru a RH
4.1(no docs) then Caldera(book with CD) then RH5.2 (borrowed but KDE or
GNOME is powerhungry/voracious) then back to Caldera. Their advice, as a
matter of fact, was to back up the Xconfig on a diskette. I even tried a
different graphics card just for giggles and then put back the original
because the new card was no match for the ancient CPU. That diskette
saved me lots of times. No, there is no easier way (welcome to Linux).
Your method matches mine, yours only became fancier (or trickier) because
of 1) the specialized grafix card and 2) RH and its font server shenanigans
Thanks for sharing

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 21:32:46

In <7ql9ul$1eh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/02/99
   at 07:45 AM, Hann Wei Toh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> In article <37ce0296$2$ewyncunz$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham) wrote:
> > I've never tried it in that order, but I was told it wouldn't work
> > because OS/2 Boot Manager wouldn't accept a new partition marked as
> > Linux.  When I added COL 2.2 to my OS/2 system, I created a couple of
> > new logical partitions in empty space in my extended paritition with
> > Partition Magic 2.x.  Then, without formatting either, I added one to
> > Boot Manager with OS/2 FDISK.  I made them Linux root and swap in
> > Lizard custom setup.

> I forgot to mention that the partitions should be created within OS/2.
> The Linux installation program should only format the partitions
> concerned.

> As for the order, I can't recall what exactly I did.  Anyway, to be
> safe, it is always all right to add the partitions to the boot manager
> first (they probably need to be formatted as HPFS or FAT before doing
> so)

It's not necessary.  You can add them to Boot Manager unformatted.

>, and then start installing Linux on them.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Thursday, September 02, 1999 - 09:32 PM (EDT)
MR/2 Ice tag:  Paint baboon bottoms; leave no stern untoned

------------------------------

From: Ken Arromdee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help needed... resetmidi?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 03:15:21 GMT

The program fXPlayMidi comes with its default midi resetting program as
"resetmidi".  I don't have this.  What's more, I can't find it at linux.com,
freshmeat, or anywhere on the net using a search engine, nor are there any
references to it in Dejanews.

I don't need the particular program, but I need something to completely reset
things between playing midi files.  I'm currently getting some weird problems,
one of which also happen in Windows and one of which doesn't.  They also
happen when I put the midi board on a different sound card.  (One problem
is that playing a particular file leaves a continuous sound behind, and another
problem is that playing a particular file causes subsequent files to be silent
until I play a particular _third_ file.)

I want something to reset my midi board (Waveblaster II) completely between
playing files, to see if that helps.  Where can I get some program that is
good for this purpose?
--
       Ken Arromdee / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"I have never seen the inside of the building at Microsoft where the top
executives hang out, but I have this fantasy that in the hallways, at regular
intervals, big red alarm boxes are bolted to the wall. Each contains a large
red button protected by a windowpane. A metal hammer dangles on a chain next
to it. Above is a big sign reading: IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH IN MARKET SHARE,
BREAK GLASS." -- Neal Stephenson