From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Crashed and Can't Get Up
Date: 16 Apr 2000 09:54:02 -0700

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash prompt
Date: 16 Apr 2000 10:04:24 -0700

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: going crazy with qmail
Date: 16 Apr 2000 10:00:36 -0700

------------------------------

From: Steve Zinck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to buildup a pop3 server??
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:06:42 GMT

irado furioso com tudo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> how to buildup a pop3 server??

If it were up to me, I'd ditch sendmail and install qmail.  You can use
the qmail package at http://www.qmail.org for both a POP3 and SMTP
server.  The README/INSTALL files include step-by-step directions.

If you insist on running sendmail, drop by http://www.freshmeat.net and
search for "pop3 server" and you'll find many.  They're easy to install
and configure; just follow the INSTALL files.

> if possible, mail-me: irado(at)unforgettable.com

no :P

--
Steve Zinck
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with dual Win98 and Linux6.1
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:02:21 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.misc: 16-Apr-100 Re: help with dual
Win98 an.. by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> what about if I reinstall Win98? does the win98 boot file overwrite
> Linux6.1`s. is it Ok if I do that?

Win98's installer will, IIRC, overwrite the boot sector.

To get around this, be prepared with a Linux boot floppy.  Either
do a 'make bzdisk' (IIRC) from /usr/src/linux with the sources
installed, or any other means (e.g. SuSE's yast appears to have
a boot/root floppy set maker).  Boot that, edit your /etc/lilo.conf
to give yourself the option of booting either '98 or Linux, and
re-run /sbin/lilo.
--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:14:57 +0000
From: mh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No sound, no PPP, no nfss

I have made four attempts to install a new kernel (2.2.14) and cannot
figure out why I no longer have sound.  I get an error message telling
me that sound has neither been compiled into the kernel nor loaded as a
module--I've tried it both ways and get the same error message.
(upgrading from RH 6.0 kernel 2.2.5-15 to 2.2.14)

I also get an error message stating that PPP has not been compiled into
the kernel--it has been, and it works just fine, but I still get an
error message.  I also get an error message stating that nfss service
has FAILED, but I can access NFS exported directories no problem.

Finally, I get an error message stating that System.map is reporting
incorrect kernel version.  I figured out that replacing the System.map
file with the one generated during compile will fix this error, but why
isn't this step noted in ANY of the three different documents I've read
describing the kernel replacement process?  Furthermore, if this file is
necessary for each different kernel, how can you boot different kernels
when there is only a single System.map?

Linux documentation flat out SUCKS.  (They should call the HOWTOs
IAMOWIs-- incomplete ambiguous, misleading, and often wrong
instructions).

After four attempts I'm about ready to throw in the towel.  Any
suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?  Also, anyone know of the
soundcard configuration utility that comes with RH 6.0?  I used it once
to initially setup my system--worked like a charm.  But I can't find it
now.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: No sound, no PPP, no nfss
Date: 16 Apr 2000 18:19:08 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> mh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I also get an error message stating that PPP has not been compiled into
>the kernel--it has been, and it works just fine, but I still get an
>error message.  I also get an error message stating that nfss service
>has FAILED, but I can access NFS exported directories no problem.

oBecause kppp is buggy. It used a bug in thekernel to decide whether ppp
was installed in teh kernel. When that kernel bug was fixed, kppp went
nuts. Very very bad coding practice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Wrote audio CD -- Only Windows can play it it
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:07:52 GMT

> The original poster's claim is a bit more troubling.  I presume the >
> device setting for your CD-player is correct?

Everything is being happily addressed at /dev/scd0.  Data read, writes,
and audio reads are just fine.

> Can you read a track back off this burned CD using cdparanoia?

Good thought.  I checked, and cdparanoia *can* read the tracks I wrote,
and I can play the resulting .wav file frm the hard drive.  So, the
audio data survives the whole read/write/read cycle OK.

> Have you
> checked the cdrecord home page for info?  I recall there being some
> problems with TEAC drives but ICBW.

The cdrecord home page does mention some quirks regarding TEAC drives,
but nothing I can relate to this problem.  It makes me suspicious
about other possible idiosyncrasies, though :-(

Bruce Halco

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Apr 2000 09:22:59 -0800

Arlan Lucas de Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>What should I do to change my PS1 variable in a xterm window?
>
>According the Bash-Prompt-HOWTO, PS1 string should be set in .bashrc. It's
>dont work to me. I try also in .bash_profile and .xinitrc. However, if I
>start another shell session from a xterm window the prompt is set
>correctly to this  second shell session.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Arlan

After you have edited ~/.bashrc you need to have your current shell
read that file.  Any new shell will read it automatically.

  $ . ~/.bashrc

Will do the trick.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Subject: Re: Path on stdin... file on stdout?
Date: 16 Apr 2000 20:34:02 +0100

Kenny McCormack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >Dowe Keller ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >: On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:04:57 -0000, Miranda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >: >This is an embarrassingly easy question I'm sure but;
: >: >
: >: >I need a command that takes the path to a file on stdin and then copies that
: >: >file to stdout.
: >
: >man cat

: No - what he is looking for is:

:       xargs cat

Agreed.  I didn't pay enough attention to reading his request, although
it's clear enough on rereading. while read i; do cat $i; done  would
also be a sort of solution. Modulo the same difficulties with spaces.
Perhaps you could recommend xargs -0 cat ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D. D. Brierton)
Subject: MandrakeUpdate problems (Mandrake 7.0)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:39:33 GMT

MandrakeUpdate will not download any updates, complaining each time that an
error occurred. If I start it from the shell these are the error messages:

[root@localhost /root]# MandrakeUpdate &
[1] 25565
[root@localhost /root]# --18:59:13--  ftp://sunsite.org.uk:21/packages/Mandrake/
updates/7.0/descriptions
           => `-'
Connecting to sunsite.org.uk:21... connected!
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD packages/Mandrake/updates/7.0 ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR descriptions ... done.
Length: 1,774 (unauthoritative)

    0K -> .                                                      [100%]

18:59:19 (3.20 KB/s) - `-' saved [1774]

Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 108, <F> chu
nk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 108, <F> chu
nk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 108, <F> chu
nk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 108, <F> chu
nk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 108, <F> chu
nk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 124, <F>
chunk 58.
--18:59:19--  ftp://sunsite.org.uk:21/packages/Mandrake/updates/7.0/ls-lR
           => `-'
Connecting to sunsite.org.uk:21... connected!
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD packages/Mandrake/updates/7.0 ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR ls-lR ... done.
Length: 794 (unauthoritative)

    0K ->                                                        [100%]

18:59:22 (4.88 KB/s) - `-' saved [794]

Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 42, <F>
chunk 20.
Use of uninitialized value at /usr/X11R6/bin/MandrakeUpdate.pm line 44, <F>
chunk 20.
>grpmi
>ftp://sunsite.org.uk/packages/Mandrake/updates/7.0/RPMS/gpm-1.19.1-2mdk.i586.rpm
Died at /usr/X11R6/bin/grpmi.pm line 17, <F> chunk 13.

[root@localhost /root]#
[1]+  Done                    MandrakeUpdate

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

D. D. Brierton, Centre for Cognitive Science, University of Edinburgh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb

From: Eric Melville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to tranfer files from NT laptop to PC running Linux (RH 6.1)?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:44:14 -0700

look into parallel port ip... i don't know if nt can handle this, but i
know linux can. there's an option for it called plip in the kernel.

-E

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 5250 Emulator for Linux
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:42:51 GMT

Check http://www.anota.com . Simple web based
TN5250, TN3270 and Telnet. Works in a Browser on
Linux. Windoz and Mac. Cool.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a 5250 X-emulator that will
enable a user to connect to an
> AS/400. I don't need file transfer, just a
terminal emulation session.

From: "Mr. Bojangles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A few questions -> help!!
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:59:09 GMT

Hi there.  I am trying to make the complete switch from Windows to Linux,
and have made great strides, but need help with a few things.

1) Plugins in Netscape:  How do I configure RealPlayer to load in the
netscape window?  I installed real, but when the page tries to load up the
player in the page, it says mime type nor found, yetthe mime type looks
like it is setup.  Same for Flash.  In Applications in Netscape, whenI
setup a new type, how come Plugin is always greyed out?  Could you point
me at a site or howto that covers this is detail?

2) I am running RH 6.0, and was invoking X from the command line(startx).
I had gkrellm and panel in my .xinitrc file, and then switched to runlevel
5(graphical login).  Now gkrellm does not start.  Does it use a different
init script with the graphical login?

3) Can someone suggest the best software for using a cd-r/cd-rw?

Thanks, PM

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Is NOT a solution. PLEASE HELP!
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:52:16 GMT

Restorefont didn't work, thanks anyway.
I found many useful info in "man XF86Config" and in "man XF86_SVGA",
particularly the options "sync_on_green" (my monitor uses it) and
TextClockFreq #inMhz.So I tweaked XF86Config in many ways but it
didn't stop the problem.
Anyway this news could perhaps help Dan.

Please help!
Especially people who had problems with RedHat 5.2 or 6.1 based
distributions when using xfree and text terminals.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba printing problems
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:59:59 -0400

Frank Hahn wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:32:33 -0400, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >When I've set up samba printers I've never set user name and passwords.
> >
> Would you mind giving a brief description on how you set this up?
> I guess a did not realize that you could set up the printers to
> not require a password but the other shares would.  Thanks.

Any share can be set up to not require a password as long as you allow
guests.

What tool do you use to set up the Samba server? We use SWAT which lays
all the options out before you nicely. I highly recommend it. I can't
recall all the detailed steps we used to set them up.

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Eric Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:01:31 GMT

I think we all know that.
This discussion was about optical mice.

--
Eric F. Peterson
Politically Incorrect and Proud!

news:svmK4.105571$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: problem in reading ReWritable CD
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 15:02:55 -0400

Daniel Ng wrote:

> I back up some document at work on a Maxell rewritable CD.  I am able to
> read there at work. But I cannot mount it on my linux box at home.    It
> complains that
> "no medium is found"
> I have tried both Juliet and iso9660 filesystem.
>
> Then I back up the document on a recordable CD (also Maxell), I have no
> problem.
>
> Does anyone know why I can mount a recordable CD but not a rewritable
> CD?

CD-RW disks are very fussy about what drives they are read on. May can
only be read on CD-RW drives, not plain CD-ROM readers.

If you want a disk to be universally transportable, use CD-R media.

From: Colin Holywell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MS Netshow for Linux
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:04:43 GMT

I have been trying to find a working copy of Netshow but I can't find any links that
work.
I downloaded on file but gunzip said it "wan't a gzip file".  Even Microsoft's links
don't
work.

Does any one know of any _working_ links?