From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MaryP)
Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows 2000 for a statewide computer system?
Date: 29 Oct 2000 05:18:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gary Carlson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I need help in making a decision whether our statewide (several hundred
> users spread out geographically over the entire state) should opt for a
> Linux OS or a Windows OS.  I serve on the steering committee for the
> program.
[much snippage]
> Gary Carlson, Circuit Judge
> Member:  CCAP Steering Committee

Hi Judge Carlson:

I found your posting on comp.os.linux.misc. I suggest you
contact the Madison Linux Users Group for specific help.
There are very knowledgeable people -- university-
connected and not -- and I'm sure your answers are
available once you make that connection. Hardware compatibility,
software compatibility, networking issues, cost -- anything
in your package can be addressed by someone over there, or
they'll know someone else who can help.

Good luck with your networking project. You may find that
you create a hybrid system with Linux servers and
a variety of local software/hardware.

Mary Pulliam
recreational Linux user
Madison Wisconsin

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:25:56 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : On linux you can make the system effectively single-user, by olcnffvat gur
> : abezny vavg naq trggl & ybtva cebprffrf naq fgnegvat lbhe cebprffrf
> : frcnengryl sebz gura bajneqf, but you'd be a prize moron for bothering.
>
> Wonderful! Now HOW did you do that? Is there a rot13 command somewhere
>
> Peter

I thought that might be it, but I tried rot13 and it did not get any better.
Maybe he was running some Internet Explorer to make his post? That is not it
either:  User-Agent: Gnus/5.0807 (Gnus v5.8.7) XEmacs/21.1 (Channel Islands)

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Clayton Cheung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: env var
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:30:04 -0000

How to set a environmental var so that it is there even after restart? I
want to set the PATH to include a dir every time I start the computer
thanks

From: alex k <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: having a prog run when in runlevel 4
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:37:01 GMT

hello!

i use slackware 7.1, and its default runlevel
is 3 (textprompt).
so how do i configure the system so that every
time i startx it will also start a small program
i've made to run in the background (and so that
it also is shutdown when i quit X)?

i remember when i used mandrake7 there were a lot
more of rc.X files and directories. it seemed like
a pretty different (and more configurable) way to
configure what should, and should not, be run under
the various runlevels.

how do i achieve this in slack?
in slack it's runlevel 4 that is the graphical mode,
right? so i've been looking at the /etc/rc.d/rc.4 script.

my little program is a pythonscript which requires to
already have at least one open pseudoterm (xterm usually)
for it to run.

so adding the line "/usr/local/bin/myscript.py &" to
/etc/rc.d/rc.4 didn't do much good (since there are
no xterms open at that point.
i have one xterm opened through the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
file.
i also tried putting the myscript-line there, but to no
avail.

so how to do this?

  TIA / alex k

ps. the purpose of my little prog is to look for any opened
/dev/pts/ files owned by root or me (same person), and when
someone other than root and me logs in to the system is sends
a line, telling me about that, to those pseudoterms.

--
.
.

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backward compatibility of linux libraries?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:54:28 -0400

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I very much doubt that IBM uses the berkely dbm format for anything. They did
> : this all themselves and it runs on various flavors of Unix, Linux, Windows, and
> : GOK what else.

> You probably need to redirect the utility to cease looking in libdb.so.1.85 which
> was the old external support lib and tell it to look in libdb2 (or whatever it
> is).

How do I do such a thing? Which utility? Starting up DB2 starts up 7 daemons (by the
time it is done: it runs other stuff in the process, and I do not even know what
they all are. The DB2 package is over 100 megabytes of stuff. I am willing to RTFM,
but which FM?

> : Here are the libraries used by two typical programs:
>
> The link may not be visible with ldd. They might load what they need
> dynamically (using libdl calls). It's a "common" technique. Or if they
> don't, then a subsidiary library might.
>
> barney:/usr/oboe/ptb/lang/c/nbd/nbd-2.4.15% nm /usr/lib/libdl.a | grep T
> 00000028 T __dlopen_check
> 00000010 T dlclose
> 0000010c T dlsym
> 00000120 T __dlvsym
> 000000a0 T _dlerror_run
> 00000000 T dlerror
> 00000000 T dladdr
>
> man dlopen:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        dlopen loads a dynamic library from the file named by  the
>        null  terminated  string  filename  and  returns an opaque
>        "handle" for the dynamic library.
>
> : valinux:root[/usr/IBMdb2/V6.1]# ldd /home/db2inst1/sqllib/adm/db2start
> :  /lib/libNoVersion.so.1 => /lib/libNoVersion.so.1 (0x40015000)
> :  libdb2e.so.1 => /usr/IBMdb2/V6.1/lib/libdb2e.so.1 (0x40017000)
> :  libstdc++.so.2.8 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 (0x41992000)
> :  libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x419d3000)
> :  libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x419f0000)
> :  libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x41ae2000)
> :  libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x41b10000)
> :  libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x41b14000)
> :  /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
> [snip]

> Those look pretty equal to me! Strace the system call sequences instead
> and see where they diverge. I would bet that something like what I
> suggested is happening: the symbols have moved to different libraries
> and either the linker is being diverted down the wrong load path by
> overlapping symbols, or they're just plain dynamically opening the
> wrong library.

I assume you mean the dynamic linker, since the stuff is all linked already (other
than dynamically linked libraries). I am printing out the man strace as we speak,
but since there are many many executables in DB2 that all run at once, or run
briefly as it comes up, I do not know which one to strace.

[I guess I will see daylight savings time switch in a few minutes. I hope cron does
not get confused as it started a 2-hour disk to tape backup at 1:04AM. If the clock
moves back to 1:00 AM soon, I hope cron does not start the 1:04 job again. Time
(whatever that is in this context) will tell.]

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  1:45am up 4 days, 13:04, 2 users, load average: 3.21, 3.10, 2.97

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to gauge Linux stability?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:56:47 -0400

Steve wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:07:22 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
> >That works only if the power comes back on (for a reasonably long time)
> >after it fails. I have APC Smart-UPS units on my machine, but the last power
> >failure lasted about 36 minutes, and one machine does a controlled shutdown
> >after 5 minutes and this one does a controlled shutdown after 25 minutes. So
> >they were both down and rebooted after the power came back up. But I gotta
> >count that as a reboot, though not the fault of the OS.
>
> 10 minutes grace would be nice, that way I can stop processes cleanly
> and when the power comes back just continue where I left off.

Right, if you are there at the time. I was flying back from London when it
happened. Be sure that the UPS can tell your machine that the AC power has gone
off, and that you are running software that does the controlled shutdown
automatically.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  1:55am up 4 days, 13:14, 2 users, load average: 3.08, 3.08, 3.01

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:13:56 -0000

  In a message on Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:44:18 GMT, wrote :

GC> I need help in making a decision whether our statewide (several hundred
GC> users spread out geographically over the entire state) should opt for a
GC> Linux OS or a Windows OS.  I serve on the steering committee for the
GC> program.  We currently use OS/2 as our OS, but intend to migrate off.
GC> The application software itself is being rewritten in JAVA.
GC>
GC> The application is question is the Wisconsin Circuit Court Automation
GC> Program (CCAP).  Local users (for the most part, clerks of court,
GC> although also judges, registers in probate and others) input data on new
GC> case filings, court hearings, scheduling calendars, juror information,
GC> and dispositions.  Interfaces with other agencies, such as the district
GC> attorneys, departments of revenue and transportation, etc., either exist
GC> or are in the planning stages for the transfer of data.  Local data is
GC> transmitted on a hourly basis to the state capitol in Madison.  The
GC> database is obviously huge.  We maintain a website for access to a
GC> mirror site with the public data on a near statewide basis at
GC> http://ccap.courts.state.wi.us - the website is averaging 250,000 hits
GC> per day at last count.
GC>
GC> In addition to the CCAP programming, our users also need an office suite
GC> for word processing, spreadsheets, etc.  Judges have software that
GC> enables them to have court reporters provide "realtime" translation of
GC> court proceedings to their notebooks.  Email and internet access
GC> (Netscape) is available for all users.  In local court offices, public
GC> terminals are made available free for users to access the local county
GC> database.
GC>
GC> Disclaimer:
GC>
GC> 1.  Please don't let this thread degenerate into an "I hate windows" or
GC> "I hate linux" mentality.  This is a real decision that will have to be
GC> made and I need real answers based on fact.
GC> 2.  I am a circuit judge in Wisconsin; I am fairly competent on the
GC> computer but certainly not a programmer; please bear with any perceived
GC> ignorance on my part.  I have read a fair amount of the posts on this NG
GC> already.  If you have questions I can try to answer them.
GC>
GC> Questions:
GC>
GC> 1.  Some of our users are worried about going to Linux.  They fear a
GC> learning curve exaggerated by the fact that those who own home computers
GC> are most likely on WinXX and transference of skills will be minimal.
GC> What do you believe the average computer user (the ones who go to
GC> BestBuy or Gateway Country to buy a home computer) will experience in a
GC> shift to Linux?

Linux is not as hard to learn as Microsoft would lead you to believe.
Really.  If these are office desktops and you have competent technical
support, these desktops can be setup and configured by the competent
technical people and the users can just point and click on their Gnome
desktop and do their office stuff with StarOffice, both of which have
much the same sort of point-and-click, drag-and-drop user interface as
MS-Windows.  The only thing missing would be random crashes...

GC> 2.  They are also concerned that going to Linux will create a wall
GC> between them and other programs perceived to be beneficial that will
GC> only be available on WinXX.  From the state's point of view, this may be
GC> good because we prohibit the downloading to or loading onto the state
GC> computers programs other than those provided.  What has been your
GC> experience in the availability of new and exciting programs?

Depends on the programs.  Yes, your office workers won't be able to run
the latest and greatest version of Duke Nuke'em, but then again you
probably don't want them to anyway.  There is a good collection of basic
office automation software available for Linux: StarOffice, WordPerfect,
etc.  Actually, from what I have heard, most of these are actually
technically better than MS-Office in many ways.

GC> 3.  Are there WinXX emulators that will allow us to use programs we
GC> already have, such as the court reporter software (CaseViewII by
GC> Stenograph) or legal research programs (WestLaw, LOIS), or will going to
GC> Linux require us to abandon those programs?  How difficult are
GC> workarounds?

There are some.  It depends on the program.  *Some* MS-Windows programs
won't run under *any* emulator -- MS's own applications use *undocumented*
system calls to test the system for emulation and will refuse to run --
this is not because of the quality of the emulator, just the MS wants to
pay them pound of flesh for the 'real thing'.  There is one system that
even MS can't reject (because it involves really running MS-Windows
under Linux).  It is also possible to have dual boot machines or a
'mixed' shop.  You might also want to talk to the producers of this
software and see if there are Linux ports of their products or if your
network would constitute a large enough customer base to support Linux
ports of their products.  This is something worth investigating.

GC> 4.  Is Linux stable enough to be able to handle a network of several
GC> hundred users, potentially over a thousand in a couple of years, spread
GC> out over hundreds of miles across Wisconsin (we have 72 counties, 69 of
GC> which are currently using all or part of CCAP)?

Yes.  Easily.  You would be surprised at the number of web servers,
handling *millions* of hits are running Linux on cheap PC hardware.
Many small ISPs use Linux servers for mail, web, ftp, and ppp servers.

GC> 5.  Is Linux, in the long run, really cost effective?  Moving to Win2000
GC> would result in a financial hit to our program of $4.4 million
GC> "initially" and, of course, ties us to Microsoft.  But is Linux really
GC> that robust that it is going to be around into the future, or are we
GC> just getting into another IBM OS/2 situation?  (BTW, when we first went
GC> into OS/2 it was because we needed multitasking and Windows--at that
GC> stage--just didn't cut the mustard--but let's not talk about whether
GC> going to OS/2 initially was good, bad or ugly.)

Since you will have the source code and *thousands* of knowledgeable
users 'out there', you will have a continuing supply of people
supporting Linux.  Unlike OS/2, which is closed source and thus
dependent on one vendor's (IBM) support stance, Linux, being open source
is not dependent on a handful of corporate execs worrying about todays
bottom line.  If Red Hat should fold tomorrow, for example, Linux won't
die.  Slackware, for example, might take up the slack (pun intended). :-)
(Slackware and RedHat have very different ways of doing business, so
this won't really happen, but there are other more likely vendors -- see
below.)

You can *legally* just buy *one* RedHat deluxe box for $89.00, download a
copy of xcdroast, get an decent CD Writer, and a stack of CDR blanks,
and duplicate a batch of, say, 72 copies of the RedHat CDs, one for each
county.  89+0+200+144 = $433.00 is your total capital cost for Linux.
Yes, there is a bit of labor involved in duplicating the CDs and
shipping costs to send the copies out, etc. and it would probably be
almost as cost effective to just buy 72 of the RedHat deluxe boxes, since
this way you get 72 *printed* install guides.  You can probably buy a
support contract from Red Hat, Inc., for way less than $4.4 million.
Since Linux is open source, if you don't happen to like Red Hat, you
have other options: Slackware, SuSE, Debian, Corel, etc.  All
competitively priced and intercompatable.

GC> 6.  Have there been Linux compatibility problems with any particular
GC> hardware, particularly IBM (desktops, notebooks) and Hewlett-Packard
GC> (printers), that I should be aware of?

Linux is generally very compatible with less-than-bleeding-edge
hardware.  The reality is that bleeding edge hardware is massive
overkill most of the time and is generally only needed for slow,
bloated software (like MS-Windows).  And bleeding edge hardware IS
bleeding edge -- often not as mature as the model from 6 months or a
year ago.  Linux makes much more efficient use of your hardware, so
Linux on a 500Mhz processor will be several times *faster* than
MS-Windows on a 750Mhz processor.  Most of the hardware problems will
be for specific sorts of hardware: some printers (mostly cheap
printers), non-standard sound cards, 'winmodems', and bleeding edge
video cards (mostly ones designed for 3D animation games) -- so, you
just need to buy better quality printers (that use standard graphic
protocols) and avoid exotic sound cards, sleazy modems, and game video
cards.  Get the good quality name brand stuff -- it is not really more
expensive, in the long run -- more compatible, less likely to break in
6 months, etc.  With desktops ordered from a sensible OEM (i.e. Dell,
Gateway, IBM, etc.) and armed with a copy of the Linux Hardware-HOWTO
and the XFree86 video card compatibility list, you should not have
trouble.  Your biggest problem will be dealing with (poorly informed)
sales droids trying to sell you stuff you don't want or need.

Laptops are often a problem, since unlike desktops and servers, there is
little you can do about a manufacturer's choice of innards, esp. about
built-in video, sound, and modem hardware, and the fact that laptops
don't come with 3-button pointer devices (I use an external 3-button PS/2
mouse on my laptop).

GC> 7.  Our techies are encouraging the use of Linux, but admit that going
GC> to Win2000 would probably make their jobs easier at this point.  Their
GC> concern is more "down the road" and getting tied into Microsoft.  Are
GC> these legitimate concerns?

Linux is easier to configure and maintain.  I'm guessing that the
techies are worried about getting a zillion questions from new users
dealing with an unfamiliar system, which will make them more busy.
OTOH, all it takes in a silly E-Mail worm to make their job into a week
of living hell if you have a pure Win2000 shop...

GC> 8.  Some members of our steering committee have suggested that moving to
GC> Linux is okay because even if it doesn't work out for some reason, it
GC> isn't a big deal to shift over to Win2000 later on.  The reason is that
GC> our application is written in JAVA which, theoretically, is OS
GC> transparent.  But I also have heard the Microsoft has its own version of
GC> JAVA and I'm concerned about having to rewrite hundreds of lines of code
GC> to work with MS if that is the ultimate result.  Would it be that
GC> difficult?

It is more a matter of the reverse -- standard *portable* JAVA will run
equally well under MS-Windows or Linux, given the same Java VM.
You just need to be careful not to fall into the trap of using
Microsoft's IDE and get suckered into using Microsoft's 'extensions',
which won't work under Linux.

GC> 9.  Are there other issues that I don't even know about or think about
GC> that you think I should know before this decision is made?  If so,
GC> please tell me.  If you have additional resources that you tick would be
GC> valuable, please tell me.  I've already tracked several other Linux
GC> newsgroups and read several FAQ.

I recently found an interesting article on the web -- it is a bit dated
and technical, but still relevant -- it gives a good idea of the
pitfalls of building Linux boxes:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/lj-howtobuild.html

GC> Finally, if you want to respond directly to me rather than posting to
GC> the NG, my state email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GC>
GC> And further, finally, if this is posted to the wrong NG, tell me what
GC> the best one is for my answers.
GC>
GC> Thank you in advance.  I'm sorry for the length of this post but it is
GC> very important to me to get the right answers.
GC>
GC> Gary Carlson, Circuit Judge
GC> Member:  CCAP Steering Committee

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RAM required?
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:39:03 +0800

Micer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have Redhat 6.0.

> To run an Apache webserver with SSH, PPTP (Poptop?), and an ipchains
> packet-filtering firewall how much RAM would be reasonable (32 meg, 64 meg
> ???).

> To run an ipchains packet-filtering firewall with no services (just
> packet-filtering and as a MASQ forwarding router) how much memory would be
> required (16 meg? 32 meg???).

For home/hobby use? I used to do it on a 486DX33, 8 Mbytes of RAM.

Installing RHL 6 on such a beast is the hard part;-) These days, the installer
might want more than the apps themselves.

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cron and end of daylight savings time
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:31:19 -0500

I found out what cron does when daylight savings time ends. It
does not know about it and runs some jobs twice.

I have a 2.5 hour job (backup of my hard drives to mag tape) I
run every morning at 1:04AM; it is part of /etc/cron.weekly and
/etc/cron.daily. This morning it started at 1:04AM EDST as
usual. When 1:59AM EDST arrived, it was not finished, of
course. But at 2:00AM EDST, the system set its time back to
1:00AM EST as expected. Then, when 1:04 EST arrived, cron
started up those tasks again. (cron.weekly). Most of them are
fast and harmless, but it tried to restart the backup.
(Incidentally, BRU, the backup software, died with a
segmentation fault, not what I like to see, instead of some
kind of device busy fault. Luckily, the instance that failed
was the second instance.)

So I just diddled my /etc/crontab to start nothing on Sundays
between 1:00 AM and 2:00 AM.

Any other pitfalls out there that I should know about?

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  1:20am up 4 days, 13:39, 2 users, load average: 3.04, 3.08, 3.09

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Controlling several boxes from one place
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:47:04 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc Bo Berglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Question:
> Is there some freeware software for WinNT (still my main work machine)
> that can emulate an X terminal so I can access the Linux boxes via the
> internal network?
> I have tested an eval version of "KEA! X" and it works good, but it is
> not freeware, instead rather expensive. I'd prefer some
> freeware/shareware solution if it can do the job.

Isn't XFree86 available for NT?

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Gcc version to compile Linux Kernel ?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:49:25 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc T.R. Donahue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> During one of my Searches For Knowledge(tm) on the internet, I have stumbled
> across some information related to kernel compilation that confused me
> terribly. There is conflicting information available to which gcc version
> should preferably be used to compile the linux kernel v2.2.16. There seem to
> be people who claim that the kernel should preferably be compiled with Gcc
> 2.72.x instead of Gcc 2.95.x, due to some issues with 2.95.x, and the fact

Never anything less then 2.7.3.2

Read the documentation that comes with the kernel.

I use gcc 2.95-2

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:51:41 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc Timothy Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto) writes:

>>: This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. Patches for
>>: building with gcc 2.95 are merged but less tested than other compilers.

> I went over to kgcc for compiling kernel-2.4.0-test9 under RedHat-7.0
> (following advice in this newsgroup).

but RHI shipped a version of gcc that its authors say is unfit for any purpose
other than testing.

From: "Paul & Cheryl Schofield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a brave new world
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:49:20 GMT

We are currently developing a business plan for a home based business. The
plan involves hosting graphical chat servers on a linux system.

Our question is of bandwidth. Initally, we expect to have approxamately 5 gb
of uploads to the server from customers and as much as 20 gb downloaded from
the internet per month.

Could anyone tell us the cost associated with this amount of bandwidth using
a standard cable modem?

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any problems with Red Hat 7?
Date: 29 Oct 2000 13:58:21 +0800

The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc, Database
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:55:42 GMT
> <OjYI5.71926$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>Im just thinking about getting it, I currently have Storm 2000.
>>

> I'd avoid RedHat until 7.1, personally, mostly because of their
> decision to use a beta compiler environment.  However, I have
> yet to upgrade, myself.  I'm debating Debian at this point,
> although I like my RedHat 6.0 at home and 6.2 at work, and
> haven't really had time or energy.

I've downloaded RHL 7, but not yet installed it on anything; I'm
waiting for the flood of updates to ease.

For starters, glibc is broken (there is a fixed version) and that breaks lots
of other things including Java and Viavoice.

I note Mandrake 7.2 has just hit the ftp servers.

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying an 7GB-partition to an 8GB-partition
Date: 29 Oct 2000 14:08:01 +0800

Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:24:23 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss) wrote:

>>I'd like to copy/moving anything on a 7GB-partition to an 8GB-partition.
>>What's the best way to do it?

> cd /oldpartition
> tar -cf - . | (cd /newpartition ; tar -xpf - )

That's pretty close to my favourite which is
tar cl -C /oldpartition . | tar x -C /newpartition

Note the l - it keeps tar on the local filesystem.

afio is pretty useful too, especially if there's a network between
the two drives so you need a rsh or ssh in the pipe.

afio has the useful features of controllable compression (choose a little or a lot,
depending on relative speed of media and CPU), and you can choose not to compress
small file.

It also compresses files individually (recovery from tape errors is better),
you can specify a large buffer size (I used about 50 Mbytes writing to tape)
and you can ask it to fork (to buffer reading and writing).

From: "walt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:56:23 -0500

Might look at vnc at www.uk.research.att.com/