Linux-Misc Digest #191, Volume #24               Mon, 17 Apr 00 23:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: do i need Partition Magic? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation ("Bryan Woody")
  init_module: Device or resource busy errors... please help! (Teri)
  mpeg player for linux (Michael Lancaster)
  I need drivers for my HSP 56K AUDIOMODEM RISER (SNW)
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation ("D'Arcy Smith")
  Re: Kernel panic: No init found (Dances With Crows)
  writing to Dos partition (Tyler Cottenie)
  Re: Checking if fs is mounted (John Scudder)
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation (Dances With Crows)
  Re: writing to Dos partition ("Nick")
  Re: writing to Dos partition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Autorun ???? ("P. Lee")
  Re: Best printer for linux box? (John Hong)
  Help: need /etc/inittab ! (Chris Majewski)
  Re: Does append in LILO really append? (John in SD)
  Re: linear option for lilo (John in SD)
  Re: Setup Linux as a Dial-In PPP server ! (Andras)
  what is the sync option for mount? (Andras)
  Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation (Mike Jones)
  Re: Help: need /etc/inittab ! (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: EIDE CD-RW kernel panic can't mount root (Jan Schaumann)
  Help Please!! ("Don")
  Re: Sharing swap space. (Robert Yoder)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: do i need Partition Magic?
Date: 17 Apr 2000 21:16:38 EDT

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:53:38 GMT, Don Heffernan
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> I have a Linux machine with a 3 gig Win partition I no longer need,
>and a Windows machine with a 3 Gig Linux partition I no longer need.
>Will partition magic convert the Linux partition to a DOS partition?
>Will it convert the DOS partition on the Linux box to a Linux
>partition - or can I do that fairly easily from Linux?  In both casers
>I would prefer to change the excess partition without reinstalling the
>OS.

For the Lose9x machine, boot from a root/boot floppy that contains fdisk
and mkfs.dos.  Then fdisk the drive and change the partition type of that
unneeded Linux partition to one of the Windows types... probably 0x0b, DOS
FAT32.  Make sure this partition is a logical partition (partition number
>5); DOS gets very confuesd if it sees more than one primary FAT
partition.  Then just "mkdosfs -F32 /dev/hdXY" replacing X and Y with the
right letter and number.

For the Linux machine, do essentially the same thing, except you can do it
from the running system and there's no need to reboot it.  Use fdisk to
change the partition type to 0x82 (Linux Native) and mke2fs that
partition; instant extra space!  Don't forget to edit /etc/fstab if you
want this partition mounted upon boot...

nice bootdisk:  http://www.toms.net/rb

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: "Bryan Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:17:07 -0400

Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Bryan Woody wrote:
> >
> > Kevin wrote in message
> > >
> > >I've never heard of X-Windows.  I've heard of the X Windowing
> > >System, but never X-Windows.
> >
> > You are the most anal person I have ever seen.
>
> I doubt that, although I am admittedly a Type A
> personality.
>
> > Perhaps you should
> > concern yourself less with what people say and pay more attention
> > to what they mean. After all in these instances it was very clear
> > EXACTLY what they were refering to. Do you feel better about
> > yourself making others feel foolish?
>
> I feel better correcting mistakes.  The term "X-Windows"
> is completely incorrect, and an annoyance to the Unix
> community.  The sooner we stamp it out and get people using
> the correct terms, that'll be one less thing confusing new
> Linux users.

If you simply corrected mistakes, I would not have said anything. However
the manner in which you chose to correct the mistakes was insulting to the
people who made them. That's what I have a problem with. And I also
apologize for being insulting. We all should learn to just get along :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Teri)
Subject: init_module: Device or resource busy errors... please help!
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:10:46 GMT

I'm very much a newbie to linux.  Have debian 2.0.34 installed running
Samba over a local network, another network card attached to a cable modem
and running IPmasq.  Recently the system "crashed" (don't know why, yet)
and I was unable to reset the system appropriately... required a hard boot
without shutting it down.  Rebooted Linux & it ran fsck automatically
upon booting, several things were reported as "FIXED", and the
system booted up.
Everything "seems" to run, except the local network runs slow
and at 10 megabits instead of 100 (where it was before).  Rebooted
and noticed the following error messages on boot:

smbfs /lib/modules/2.0.34/fs/smbfs.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
umsdos /lib/modules/2.0.34/fs/umsdos.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
vfat /lib/modules/2.0.34/fs/vfat.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
.
.
.
/lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/lp.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
/lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/3c59x.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
.
.
.
/etc/init.d/rcS: F: command not found

I have no idea where to go with this.... please help!
Teri

------------------------------

From: Michael Lancaster <"(no)miclan(spam)"@ocean.com.au>
Subject: mpeg player for linux
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:29:08 +1000

hi,

does anyone know of a media player for linux with a jukebox-like
interface. ie similar to winamp, but for mpeg video? it doesn't have to
be pretty like winamp, just need similar functionality.

thanks,

michael

------------------------------

From: SNW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need drivers for my HSP 56K AUDIOMODEM RISER
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:30:15 GMT

Where can i find drivers for my hsp 56k audiomodem riser which can operate
on the operating-system windows 2000?
Tks for your help in advance.
Reply this message,or e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tks & regards!

From: "D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:38:38 GMT

"Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I feel better correcting mistakes.  The term "X-Windows"
> is completely incorrect, and an annoyance to the Unix
> community.  The sooner we stamp it out and get people using
> the correct terms, that'll be one less thing confusing new
> Linux users.

Just curious... what is confusing about it to new users now?

..darcy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Kernel panic: No init found
Date: 17 Apr 2000 21:39:08 EDT

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:42:59 +0200, Otto Wyss
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Using my fresh compiled kernel 2.2.14 gives always the following kernel
>panic:
>        "kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno=8"
>It's just anything wrong in the kernel config but I don't know what.
>With the previous kernel everything is okay.

You've probably got ELF binary support compiled as a module.  It should be
compiled into the kernel, since modprobe is an ELF binary after all, and
without ELF binary support compiled into the kernel you have an
interesting chicken-and-egg problem.

>Is it possible to retrieve the configuration of an installed kernel?

/usr/src/linux/.config.old, perhaps?  Rename that to .config and re-run
"make menuconfig"; see what you get...

From: Tyler Cottenie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: writing to Dos partition
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:00:39 GMT

I have a Windows Fat32 partition on my computer along with Linux
Mandrake 7.0. I am only able to write to this partition as root. Since I
am not usually working as root, I cannot delete add or modify any files
to this partition without issuing super-user command. I have tried doing
'chmod g+x DOS_hda1' because my normal user is part of the group 'root'
which /mnt/DOS_hda1 belongs to. It says the permission was successfully
changed but when I do 'ls -l' it is still "drwxr-xr-x" instead of
"drwxrwxr-x". I have tried chmod with 775 or whatever it is and it also
says it has changed successfully when it hasn't. I have tried with the
partition mounted and with it not mounted with the same results. 'chown'
does not work either; it says something about cannot perform operation
Help!

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Checking if fs is mounted
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:40:22 -0500

Thanks for the script...I'll try it out.

I don't auto mount the DOS Drives so that I can write to them as non-root.
Auto mount gives root ownership to the drives, unless I am missing some
little trick here.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 17 Apr 2000 22:03:52 EDT

[LOTS of NGs trimmed!]
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:38:38 GMT, D'Arcy Smith
<<y0PK4.18925$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the
ether:
>"Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> I feel better correcting mistakes.  The term "X-Windows"
>> is completely incorrect, and an annoyance to the Unix
>> community.  The sooner we stamp it out and get people using
>> the correct terms, that'll be one less thing confusing new
>> Linux users.
>
>Just curious... what is confusing about it to new users now?

X-Windows = "Oh, like Windows 9x!  Hey, what is this 'KDE' thingy, then?
I don't need that if I have X-Windows,right?"  *massive deletion* *screams
of pain*

X Windowing System = "Hmm, that sounds... different.  Maybe I'd better
{ask someone, RTFM} to figure the thing out."

Me, I just say "X" when I mean the X-server and/or raw Xlib, and "KDE",
"GNOME", "Motif", etc. when talking about other stuff.  New users mostly
come from places where there is Only One GUI, and they get confused about
the differences between X, KDE, GNOME, and the various window managers. It
took me a while to figure it out even though I RTFMed, and "X-Windows" may
confuse the issue since people assume that refers to a window manager or
desktop environment.

(sure, it's pedantry, but it's well-meaning pedantry.)

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: writing to Dos partition
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:11:17 GMT

Fat partitions do not work in the same fashion as ext2 partitions do, as fat
partitions are not meant to handle owners and groups.  Therefore chown and
chmod have no effect on the partition.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:12:26 GMT

In comp.os.linux.questions Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fat partitions do not work in the same fashion as ext2 partitions do, as fat
> partitions are not meant to handle owners and groups.  Therefore chown and
> chmod have no effect on the partition.

True, however you can mount it with the uid and gid options, which I
believe would solve his problem.

--
Matt Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "P. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Autorun ????
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:16:27 GMT

    where would I find some information on setting up some autorun files on
a CD .... I'm trying to do a catalog on a CD and would like autorun ...

all info ... is welcome ....
thanks
pam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: Best printer for linux box?
Date: 18 Apr 2000 02:26:40 GMT

        Easy...just get the cheapest postscript printer available.
Lately, it appears to be the Lexmark Optra 40.

------------------------------

From: Chris Majewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: need /etc/inittab !
Date: 18 Apr 2000 02:27:04 GMT

Hi there
Anyone have an /etc/inittab from a reasonably recent Debian system?
(If you're successfully running Debian, then you do.)
Can you please mail it to majewski at cs.ubc.ca?
thanks
chris

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does append in LILO really append?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:33:41 GMT

run:  "lilo -q -v -v -v" to see the command line which will be passed
to the kernel.

--John

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linear option for lilo
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:33:40 GMT

The linear option changes from CHS addressing to 0-based absolute disk
block addressing.  Basically all this does is delay the conversion to
CHS until boot time, when, presumably, the BIOS can provide more
accurate disk geometry (#sectors/track, #heads/cylinder).  It should
be completely transparent.

Note that linear uses 24-bit addresses, in contrast to the lba32
option in LILO 21.4.2 (see my earlier postings).  This uses 32-bit,
0-based, sector addressing, and uses EDD packet calls (post-1998 BIOS)
to address disks of more than 1024 cylinders, the old CHS limit.

--John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

LILO 21.4.2 is at  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo
or my site:  ftp://sd.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setup Linux as a Dial-In PPP server !
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:36:22 +0000

Eric Chow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would you please to teach me how to set Linux as a Dial-In PPP Server,
> if you has this experience ?
>
> What should I prepare ?
>
> Would you please to teach me step-by-step ?
>
> Or where can I find some document to do this ????
Read the PPP howto available, probably on your disk
under /usr/doc/HOWTO
or www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO

------------------------------

From: Andras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: what is the sync option for mount?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:39:14 +0000

Is it true that if I use sync option for mount
then it will immediately flush the contents of the cache to the disk?

I consider using this option for /dev/fd0,
so that if I forget to umount it before taking it out it won't
be messed up.

Andras

------------------------------

From: Mike Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:42:19 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> <jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)> wrote in message
> > > Demonstrably?  Simply because multiple people claim to vaguely remember
> > > something that they can not name or produce any proof of?
> > >
> > > There are thousands of people that claim to have been abducted by aliens
> as
> > > well.  Does that make it demonstrably true?
> > I repeat myself: Honeywell sold the mouse. The ad appeared in several
> > issues of Byte at the time. It was one column wide, along the outer
> > edge of the page, in black only, except that they used a red support
> > colour to create a sort of "glow" under the mouse.
> Interesting.  I wonder why there isn't a patent for such a device from
> Honeywell in the patent database.

I can't speak for Honeywell, but I wonder why you couldn't find a patent on such
a device. To wit, US patent #US4799055: Optical Mouse, filed on April 26, 1984,
whose description reads in part:

A method and device for converting movement of an optical mouse on a surface
having any
random surface pattern of relatively light and dark areas separated by edges to
electrical
signals representing a direction of motion relative to two non-parallel axes....

The patent holders are Eric Nestler and Thomas M. Knight of Symbolics, Inc.

--
     Mike Jones
Of all the Thompson gunners, Roland was the best....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Help: need /etc/inittab !
Date: 17 Apr 2000 22:51:01 -0500

In article <8dgh5o$96a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Majewski wrote:
> Anyone have an /etc/inittab from a reasonably recent Debian system?
> (If you're successfully running Debian, then you do.)

$ dpkg -S inittab
util-linux: /usr/doc/util-linux/examples/inittab.gz
sysvinit: /usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5.gz
sysvinit: /usr/share/doc/sysvinit/examples/inittab

If your system doesn't contain these files (in which case it would
probably be broken ...), you can get sysvinit and util-linux packages
(possibly through www.debian.org) and unpack them (possibly using ar(1)
and tar(1)).

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,com.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EIDE CD-RW kernel panic can't mount root
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:53:13 -0400

Jeremy Crabtree wrote:

> Jan Schaumann allegedly wrote:
> >Eugene wrote:
> >>
> >> You probably disabled IDE HD support when you compiled the kernel. That is
> >> not a good idea ;-)
> >>

> >Yeah, okay, okay - not so smart...
> >
> >Now I recompiled and seem to have done everything correctly. it boots
> >nicely and recognizes the cd-rw and all. However, when it comes to
> >"finding module dependencies" it hangs. I have to interrupt with Ctrl-C.
> >It continues to boot and all systems function normally. Only, I lost
> >sound.
> >I have the cd-rw as a slave to my normal cd-rom, which is connected to
> >the soundcard.
> >
> >Any further hints?
>
> Yeah, take the darn thing off your soundcard. Attach it as a slave to
> your HD, performance gains will follow....Also, about the module dependencies
> are there any error messages?

Thanks for the hint.
So I attached it as a slave to the HD, and have the normal cdrom
attached to the toher IDE as master. The cdrom is hooked up to the
soundcard. Now it boots fine (I recompiled a couple of times and now it
does find the module dependencies), but still no sound (though it does
load the sound- and midid-modules).

what gives?

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann
http://jschauma-0.dsl.speakeasy.net

Windows does support real multitasking! It can boot and crash
simultaneously!

------------------------------

From: "Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Please!!
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:57:14 -0700

My Red Hat 6.0 has been working fine using Gnome.  All of a sudden I now
cannot access Compuserve - I can dial up and after the log on nothing
happens - It was working. When I start Netscape, I get a message that it
 cannot find:
home.netscape.com
home6.netscape.com
internic.net
 "This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable."

Also my printer stopped working.  When I try to print nothing happens.  When
I run printer tests from the printtool only "Print ASCII directly to port"
works. When I try print ASCII test page and print postscript test page I get
the message:
error printing to queue lp  error reason :
lpr : connect : connection refused  jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
Has my Gnome gone crazy or is it me?  What could I have done to have caused
this? Any help would be appreaciated.

 Don     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Yoder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.unix,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Sharing swap space.
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:58:31 -0600

axioun wrote:

> I have been using Linux for about a year now.  I had to reinstall everything
> onto my computer a few weeks ago and also get a new hard drive.  It's a 13
> gig drive and I am going to install Linux and FreeBSD together.  I have
> heard of people sharing swap space between the two.  Are there any HOWTO's
> on this or does anyone know how to do this?  Thank you for any help.

http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/mini/Linux+FreeBSD-3.html

ry
"Unix:  The Solution to the W2K Problem."