Linux-Misc Digest #403, Volume #24                Mon, 8 May 00 15:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Toggleing window managers (mugu)
  Re: ext2 su CD-ROM (Peter Buelow)
  Re: real and mpeg ?? (Ian Dahlstedt)
  Re: problem mounting FAT 16 partitions ("Robert L.")
  SCSI Parity errors at install ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Using mount from general user account (jason denton)
  Re: Need to find my IP address (Michael Meissner)
  Newbie need help on configuring eth0 (Damon)
  Installing applications in kde (George Bell)
  Re: IRQs - can someone give the definitive answer please? (Dallas Times)
  Re: Toshiba Laptop and Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux and Windows98 partitions (Harlan Grove)
  Re: Need to find my IP address (Mario Klebsch)
  swap partition deleted, what now ? (Christoph Kukulies)
  What is the best source for working with core dumps? (Harlan Grove)
  Re: Intel Etherexpress 100 Mbit Ethernet card support (suddenly gone) (Christoph
Kukulies)
  Re: regarding printing a linux (Christoph Kukulies)
  Re: Installing applications in kde (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Horrible colors in konsole, kvt and xterm!! ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: swap partition deleted, what now ? (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Problems with installing KDE on Solaris. (Madhusudan Singh)
  Re: Need to find my IP address (David Steuber)
  Re: ATA66?? ("Kirk R. Wythers")
  Re: cloning linux partitions (=?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E5rd?= Selbekk)

Subject: Re: Toggleing window managers
From: mugu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:05:45 -0700

I don't know if this would help, but try using  "switchdesk" to
switch window managers !!

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ext2 su CD-ROM
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:07:17 -0500

Interesting question but you are out of luck. Unfortunately, for CD-ROM
and CD-R(W) compatibility, you can't. This is the same reason that you
can't make a FAT filesystem for a CD or an NTFS...

You can do long filenames by using Joliet extensions (windows) or
Rockridge extensions (unix) which enhance the 9660 standard, but regular
filesystems are out. Sorry.

--
Pete Buelow

From: Ian Dahlstedt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: real and mpeg ??
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:25:54 -0400

Koos Pol wrote:

> On Mon, 01 May 2000 12:20:07 +0200, Christian Wenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | hello to everybody,
> | is there anywhere a real- and a mpeg-player for linux avaiable ???
> | --
> | christian [EMAIL PROTECTED] ...
>
> If you had been searching before posting here, you wouldn't have asked this
> question...
>
> Koos Pol
> S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
> T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

Hey Koos, if you dont want to help, dont reply.

A_C

------------------------------

From: "Robert L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem mounting FAT 16 partitions
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:26:26 GMT

modprobe vfat
( this put the modules for fat )
mount -t vfat /dev/hda? /mnt/?
( this mount it as a fat )

If the first didn't work, is because the modules was not compiled and
install.
If this work, you have 2 choice, you can recompile the kernel ( i think you
are a newbie, so don't do this just for that ) or simply add modprobe vfat
in the file
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
( put it after #!/bin/sh )

To edit the file use the tool you want. because you are a newbie, use joe
 very easy ) as root
joe /etc/rc.d/rc.local

go at the second line write the modprobe line
do ctrl+k, x
the file have been change.
At the next startup, you don't have to modprobe.

=====
After everything work, you have to change /etc/fstab ( if you want )

Here my fstab
/dev/hda6               /                   ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda7               swap           swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy    ext2    noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom          /mnt/cd1        iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
/dev/hdd              /mnt/cd2        iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
#windows
/dev/hda1           /mnt/c   vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5           /mnt/e   vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1           /mnt/d   vfat defaults 0 0

the 3 line contain info about my fat, the first column is the partition, the
second is the path where to mount them, i don't know the 3 last.

=====
man is a tool to get information about almost all program.
man mount
man modprobe
and some file have is own man page
man fstab ( don't know if exist but you can try )
man lilo.conf ( this exist, i already read it )
=====
program --help is availlable on a lot of program.
mount --help give you info about mounting partition.

You have to learn ...

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: SCSI Parity errors at install
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:15:29 GMT

Hi. I'm trying to install both RH6.2 and Mandrake 7.1
on a Acer Altos Uno with Seagate ST 34520w disk.
The SCSI hard disk is BRAND NEW but the host sort of
old.. The disk happens to get perfectly recognized
under MS-DOS (haven't yet tried any ver of Windoze).

Some people have suggested it's a problem with the
cable but haven't replaced it since it's brand new
and I want to discard any other possible causes..

The problem is installation hangs and secundary
(message) linux console report lots of SCSI
parity errors.

The error message I get is almost the same in
both cases:

<6>(scs10) <Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI Host adapter> found at PCI
0/16/0
<6<(scs10) Wide Channel, SCSI ID-7, 16/255 SCBs
<6<(scs10) Downloading sequencer code... 423 Instructions downloaded
<4>enable_irq() unbalanced from c00148e2
<4>scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/vlB/PCI/Fast SCSI)
5.1.28/3.2.4
<4><Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI Host Adapter>
<4>scsi1 : 1 Host
<4>(scsi0 : 0 : 0 : 0) Parity error during Message-In phase
<4>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0
Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
<4>scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0
Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
<4>SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0 timeout-reseting)
<4>SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0 (..several times..)
<4>probably unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang
<4>(scsi0 : 0 : 0 : 0) Parity error during Message-In phase

I need some clues on what's wrong. Any idea? I'm not
yet sure about asking the hd vendor for a replacement
'coz it worked under DOS...

Thanks a lot in advance.

From: jason denton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using mount from general user account
Date: 8 May 2000 11:30:07 -0700

I'm running Suse 6.3 and I have several devices marked as user mount in fstab;
my floppy drive, zip drive, and cdrom. However, whenever I try to mount these
devices as anything other than root I get a message saying that only root may
use mount. All the docs seem to suggest that this is not the case, and that
I should be able to mount those things appropriate marked in fstab. How can
I fix this so that I can mount floppy/zip/cdroms without being root?

Jason Denton

comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Need to find my IP address
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 May 2000 13:44:49 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias Anderberg) writes:

> Doug Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I have a sockets program an need to find the IP address of the machine
> >the program is being run from so I can bind the socket to the correct
>
> This function fetches the IP associated with eth0:

Note, not every system has an eth0, or even the main connection to the internet
being eth0.  Assuming the person setting up the system has at least a small
clue, the usual way to get the IP address is to call gethostname, and assuming
that doesn't return localhost.localdomain or an error, call gethostbyname to
resolve the hostname into one or more IP addresses.  Skip any addresses in the
local IP range (ie, 127.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: Damon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newbie need help on configuring eth0
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 01:44:23 +0800

Hi and thanks in advance. I am trying to ping to another PC and i got
this error

        connect: Network is unreachable

When i ping that PC's IP address (e.g. 123.123.123.1), i got return
packets, everything OK.
So i tried "ifconfig" and i only get

        lo        Link encap: Local Loopback
                            :
                            :

but i cannot see the eth0 configurations, is my network driver wrong?
Should i try another driver?
When i tried to "ifconfig eth0 up", i got this message

        SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable

My PC configurations is as follows:

1)    Abit BP6 mobo with dual 433 celerons
2)    Gentus Linux distrib.
3)    Compex RE100TX 10/100 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

I'm currently using a generic linux network driver. Thank you and really
appreciate any advice.

Regards
Damon

P.S. - remove capitals in address to correspond

------------------------------

From: George Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing applications in kde
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:43:13 -0400

Hello,

   I would like to install netscape navigator onto the kde desktop.
Strangely, there seems to be no mention of installing applications into
the desktop in the kde help.  I have netscape already installed in
/usr/opt.  How can I launch it from the desktop?

Thanks,

George

------------------------------

From: Dallas Times <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQs - can someone give the definitive answer please?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:44:28 -0700

> yes, i've got 8 PCI slots on this motherboard and two PCI
> controllers.  i don't have any AGP.

AGP is the new specification for speeding transfers to the video card (think of
local-bus video on the older ISA bus for this reference). Actually, it's still using a
PCI controller card for the IO ( check /proc/pci to see how this looks to the
software). IOW - AGP is still a PCI device, it just uses a slightly different IO
scheme to speed up the video functions.

> i've got a pair of symbios 8751sp cards (sym53c8xx driver).  by
> shuffling them around i can have the 2nd SCSI card IRQ overlap either
> the 1st SCSI controller or one of my NICs.
>
> would it be better to keep shuffling until it overlapped the video card?

Personally, since you have 2 of the same cards, I would leave them both sharing the
same IRQ since you're using the same driver for both cards. Since the same driver
(loaded once in memory) is doing the checking, it's quicker for the 1 driver to check
which device caused the interrupt that trying to switch between different drivers for
the same interrupt.

- Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Toshiba Laptop and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 17:36:18 GMT

I'm suprised you'd say I'll have problems getting XF86 working. This
laptop somehow has got windows 95 running on it, quite quickly
considering it's a 486. So I thought that an X server was not going to
be too difficult.

Duncan

In article <8f54a0$li3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm sitting at my desk with a Toshiba T1900 with a 120 Mb HD running
> Linux (Slackware 7) with some room to spare (14 Mb).  (I'm not using
it
> for Internet access because I'm new to this and don't have it set up
> yet.)
>
> I chose Slackware rather than another distribution because I got the
> impression I would have more control over the installation process and
> could pick and choose what to install more precisely.  I have no doubt
> that with the extra space of your 200 Mb HD I could get the X Window
> system installed (Slackware says the whole install of the system is
> only 100 Mb.)  (A project down the road is to put an X Window system
on
> my parallel port Zip drive.)
>
> Looking at the Tucows site, I get the impression that a fortran
> compiler, with lots of extras, would add less than 10Mb.  I also get
> the impression that you don't need the X Window system to run any of
> the compilers;  if my impression is correct, you could forget the X
> Window system and have it easy on your Toshiba.
>
> In sum, I would imagine you can do what you're trying to do, but it
> will take handling the installation very judiciously.  I would also
> suggest trying to max out the RAM -- mine will hold 20 Mb -- to speed
> things up and to minimize the swap partition -- mine is 12 Mb -- to
> further save disk space.  (By the way, you're right, no way you'll be
> able to run KDE or Gnome.)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bill
>
> In article <8f3cq4$t1f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Basically what I need to know is can the below run a cut down RedHat
> > with a GUI, emacs and a fortran compilier. I assume I won't be able
> > get GNOME to work, so what else does anyone suggest.
> >
> > The Laptop is:
> >
> > Toshiba T1950CT
> >
> > CPU        486
> > Harddrive  202Mb
> > Ram        12Mb
> > Video card Western Digital
> > Display    LCD 800x600
> >
> > Oh, I suppose the big question is will I have any problem get
XF86free

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Windows98 partitions
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:42:52 -0700

> . . . If win98 can read Linux partition, then doesn't it
>make Linux an insecure OS? . . .

<snip>

You're confusing physical access to the disks on which the
partitions lie with logical access by way of the operating
system. There's no difference in kind between using Windows
to read a harddisk with linux ext2 partitions or a floppy
with an ext2 filesystem. I could read such a floppy with a
10-year-old 386 machine and DEBUG running under DOS 3.1.
Does that really make the OS that put the data on that
floppy insecure?

Unless you have some scheme that would prevent computers
from reading any disk not formatted and written by that
particular computer, mere physical access is sufficient to
allow anyone with a knowledge of the disk's interface and
firmware to read all data stored on it. And even if such a
scheme existed, it would be problematic: how would you
recover data from a disk if the processor(s) on the
computer that wrote it overheated and became inoperable?

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mario Klebsch)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:00:39 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) writes:

>Who says that using ioctl() preserves compatability?  It's a catch-all
>function that was written so that programmers could access features of
>specific device drivers in a non-standardized way.  An ioctl() to a device
>in Linux won't be portable to another system unless the underlying device
>drivers use identical symbols, argument counts and types, etc.

In this case, we had an ioctl() on a socket. Tell me, which driver
does execute this ioctl?

It is processed in the socket subsystem, not in any driver. And calles
like this are found in many other UNIXes. It definitely is not a Linux
invention.

Even ioctl()s, that are implemented at driver level often are
portable. Lokk at all the stuff in termio.h/termios.h.

73, Mario
--
Mario Klebsch                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: swap partition deleted, what now ?
Date: 8 May 2000 18:06:44 GMT

While installing a second OS to my hard disk I thought "Oh,
there is a free extended partition with id 5 - I don't have DOS,
so what." - and scratched it, i.e., overwrote it with the
second OS I wanted to install on that machine (FreeBSD).

Now, when booting Linux (Redhat 6.1), I get an error when Linux
tries to configure the swap device /dev/hda5. (Although
it seems that Linux 'repairs' this deficiency later by adding some
default swap).

I tried to run fdisk from Linux, gave that partition it's ID 5 back
but this didn't seem to work.

How can I repair this?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is the best source for working with core dumps?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:57:46 -0700

There doesn't seem to be a HOWTO specifically targetted
toward figuring out what happened from a core file. I've
tried using strings core | more, but that's not very
useful. I suppose I should be loading it into a debugger,
but are there any texts that provide guidance on what to
look for?

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intel Etherexpress 100 Mbit Ethernet card support (suddenly gone)
Date: 8 May 2000 18:11:02 GMT

Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : Christoph Kukulies wrote:
: :>
: :> After rebuilding a kernel with fddi support I suddenly find
: :> my Intel Etherexpress 100 Mbit card (eth0) no longer supported.
: :>
: :> --
: :> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: : You may find you didn't include it in the xconfig/menuconfig/config
: : script?
: : re-run the script, and dep. on what flavour of linux/kernel you have
: : enable the EtherExpressPro/100 as a module or built-in.

: Is the module name eepro100 or is it eexpress?

: : Maybe u did this already and I am on the wrong track, but you didn't say
: : whether you had or not...

: Will check this again.

: : Matt.

Can close this one. Works again after another time going through the
make xconfig, make clean depend bzImage process.

BTW, what is the correct order and how can I shorten this process?
It's lasting d**m long to build a kernel. Is make dep the same as make depend?
Why the make clean. Do I have to 'make clean' everytime?

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: regarding printing a linux
Date: 8 May 2000 18:13:23 GMT

anand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Dear linux community

: I have configured a network printer hp Laserjet 8100 in samba.
: whenever i print from a windows computer, i get the banner
: page which gives details who has printed , the file name and
: in the process it wastes one page. Is there any way to disable

Edit /etc/printcap and add a :sh: (sans/supress header) to your
printer entry.

: printing banner in linux. If so please let me know .

: With regards

: Anand

: --
: Posted via CNET Help.com
: http://www.help.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Installing applications in kde
Date: 08 May 2000 14:20:32 EDT

On Mon, 08 May 2000 13:43:13 -0400, George Bell
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>   I would like to install netscape navigator onto the kde desktop.
>Strangely, there seems to be no mention of installing applications into
>the desktop in the kde help.  I have netscape already installed in
>/usr/opt.  How can I launch it from the desktop?

I don't think you looked at the KDE help too closely, then.

There should be a folder called "Templates" visible on the desktop.  Drag
the "Application" template from that folder to the desktop and choose
"copy".  Then right-click on the new template on your desktop, and you can
choose which application gets run when you click on the icon, and which
icon is displayed on the desktop through a couple of relatively easy-to-
understand menus.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Horrible colors in konsole, kvt and xterm!!
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 18:26:54 GMT

Konstantin L Kouptsov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Usually I put it in .Xresources or .Xdefaults file:
> Nice feature, carried from standard window managers. Unfortunately, KDE does not
> support it, does it?

oh (?).  Does KDE do away with the resource files?  (I have noticed that CDE
adds a bunch of defaults, including some with conflicting names - such as
the one that xterm uses for highlighting).

--
Thomas E. Dickey  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: swap partition deleted, what now ?
Date: 8 May 2000 18:43:04 GMT

 >I tried to run fdisk from Linux, gave that partition it's ID 5 back
 >but this didn't seem to work.

I presume you mean that that wasn't enough.  Do mkswap <device>;
then ensure the swap device is properly described in /etc/fstab
and reboot (or just do swapon).

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Madhusudan Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Problems with installing KDE on Solaris.
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:56:50 -0400

Thanks for your response. I guess it is quite dumb of me, but I just found
that the OS on the machine I wish to install KDE (in my own user
directory, incidently) runs Sun OS 5.6 and not Solaris.

Any pointers ? Is there some way I can compile the package ?

Thanks for your patience,

Madhusudan Singh.

> In this case it might be simpler to install from a package -- see
> http://www.freeware4sun.com/ to find a precompliled version of KDE.
>
> Keith Refson

Madhusudan Singh
Fellow
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of Michigan Ann Arbor.
        "The best way to get rid of your duties is to discharge them."
                -- Anonymous.

comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 18:59:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris) writes:

' I would think that finding the address(es) of a specific interface should
' be a simple task.  The need is certainly common, judging by the amount of
' bandwidth wasted by news posts every other week asking how to do it.

The program ifconfig seems to be able to enumerate network devices,
including the pppn devices.  It also reports the IP address of such
devices.  I don't know how portable the ifconfig code is, but it seems
to me that if the documentation doesn't tell you how to do it, and
nobody seems to want to tell you how to do it, then the ifconfig
source would be the place to look.

I can see some value in wanting to bind a server to a particular
interface and IP on a multi-homed system.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.packetphone.org/

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA66??
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 14:04:06 -0500

Leonard,

Sorry if this comes a little late, but I only now noticed your post. You
don't need a patch to do this. I followed Wayne Rattz' instructions
which are found at: http://www.geocities.com/wrattz/linux1.html  (second
page on the howtos). In short you give the i/o address of the controller
card at the boot prompt when you install linux, and then add a line to
lilo (append =i /o address of your controller card) so that lilo can
find the controller card on boot up.

Regards,

Kirk

--
Kirk R. Wythers                                  University of Minnesota
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Department of Forest Resources

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E5rd?= Selbekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cloning linux partitions
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 21:09:52 +0200

Bastian wrote:

> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb (if the disk are the same size) or
> dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/hdb/image (if hdb is mounted and larger than hda).
>
> To restore swap if and of.

Ok thanks, I'll try that in a couple of days.. It's not available at the
moment.

By the way, I tried this on two partitions with the same size, but got
an error:

        [root@hoth /root]# dd if=/dev/hdb5 of=/dev/hdb6
        dd: /dev/hdb6: Input/output error
        41+0 records in