  Re: Where can I get a pre-built POSE for Linux ? (Dances With Crows)

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Where can I get a pre-built POSE for Linux ?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:11:18 GMT

Stuart Bell wrote:

> Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I've attached the "make.out" file, that has the error messages.
>
> So you have, you stupid idiot. Several hundred lines of code. Totally
> inexcusable for non-binary newsgroups. You'll need more than a
> spam-shield if you do it again; more like a new ISP. ;-)
>
> --
> Macaddict at Tesco dot net:
> Looking for a slot-load iMac service manual!

I almost didn't reply because flaming is beneath me, but you need help.
You're immature and lack developement.  If posting childish babble is
the highlight of your day, you need guidance and direction.

------------------------------

From: "Lev Babiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mail Server Setup - From the beginning...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:53:52 +0500

Hello Eric,

The first step would be to get an MTA going. The popular ones seem to be
sendmail, postfix, qmail and exim. (postfix is my choice). The
documentation for MTA should be a good tutorial in setting up a mail
system by itself. And iirc the sites for these programs have links to
some useful documentation.

Lev

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ipchains vs. iptables for firewalls??
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:30:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.security Bo Berglund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And, is there a kernel package for RH6.2 with the new kernel?
> Or do I have to compile it myself (I did not plan on installing any
> compilers on this box, for security reasons).
> Any help appreciated.

There's a 2.4 snapshot (test6) in the /preview directory of RH 7.0,
and all of the packages on the cd are high enough versions to work
with 2.4. If you plan on migrating a RH 6.2 system to a new kernel
series, you should plan on updating numerous packages. See the kernel
release notes and the README in the preview directory for the gory
details.

The short answer, however, is that a fresh install of RH 7.0 followed
by an immediate install of the new kernel patches is your easiest
route. Once 2.4 is official, you'll probably want to compile it
yourself again, but that's relatively painless.

--
Matt Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Netscape 6
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:56:34 -0500

* Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : Frankly, I wouldn't call this latest version an improvement. It's so
> : slow at loading. I thought 4.7x was slow. This is slower. I will opt
> : for IE anytime.
>
> Are you sure you tried it? Out of curiousity I dowloaded mozilla build
> M18 two days ago and the first thing I noticed was how _fast_ it loads
> compared to netscape 4.75.
>
> 4.75 probably takes about 10s to come up on my P2450 with 128MB ram.
> mozilla M18 is practically instantaneous.
>
> 4.75 does some kind of dns search after starting up that takes it a
> minute (the problem appears to be a netscape bug that means it doesn't
> know that hostnames without a domain part are "local", so it tries
> to go to my squid cache for them, even though it shouldn't, etc. etc. ).
> Mozilla seems to have no such problem.
>
> I may try one of the nightly builds.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter, I try the nightly builds once a week. The one from this Friday
seems quite stable, and you're right - it's fast at rendering and also in
rendering cached pages.

--
Steve - Toronto
===============

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: simple alias question
Date: 26 Nov 2000 14:26:02 -0900

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm running bash, and I want to know how to make simple alias', for
>instance if I wanted to telnet into a server, instead of typing 'telnet
>somebox.somehost.com' I can just type 'telnet somebox' where somebox is
>equivalence to somebox.somehost.com.  I would assume I have to set the
>alias in the '.bashrc' what exactly is it that I would have to put
>there?

There are several different things to which the term "alias" is
applied.  There can be email aliases for example, where email
addressed to a given name is delivered to a userid with another
name.

What you are describing is an alias for a given IP address, whereby
it has more than one host name.  That kind of alias can be made by
making an entry in the /etc/hosts file, and making sure that your
system will look in that file before going to a name server.  Your
/etc/host.conf file should have:

  order hosts bind
  multi on

in it.  The first line is important, and the words must be in that
sequence.  Then in /etc/hosts you need an entry that reads something
like this

  192.168.0.2  somebox.somehost.com somebox

Where the "192.168.0.2" is replaced with the actual IP address
of the host you are naming.  (There can be more than just two
names, too.)

Another alias you might consider is the command alias for bash.
That is the kind that goes into ~/.bashrc and can invoke a long
command line with a single short command.  For example, you might
have this in your ~/.bashrc file

  alias ts='telnet somebox.somehost.com'

And from that time on you can just enter "ts" instead of the
entire command line.  If you do that often, "ts" is a good
name.  Try to use one letter alias for things you do *very*
often, two letter commands for things done often, three letters
for common commands, and four or more for things that you'll
never remember the name from one time to the next unless it
says exactly what it is.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Jason Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: reporting wrong info?
Date: 27 Nov 2000 00:57:08 GMT

hey all,

i have a dual cpu sun machine with 256mb ram running rh 6.2.  if i
configure the system so that not much of anything at all is running,
coming off a clean boot, top reports 209mb in use!  uptime reports .16 .12
.17 when only root is logged in and just sitting at a prompt.

i've got a pair of 100mhz cpus in there, 256mb ram, and barely anything
running on the system, yet it behaves as though i'm doing some serious
work.

is there anything i can do about this?  is the memory in use being
incorrectly reported?  starting x and using things like gtop and xosview
show the same thing... massive resources in use with not much happening on
the system at all.

conversly, i have a p75 with 48mb that has nearly 50% of resources
available coming off a clean boot, and that with sendmail, apache, etc
started. ( rh7.0 )

i'm about to scrap the whole thing and go back to solaris, which would
truly suck because i *know* linux should be orders of magnitude faster on
this older/weaker hardware...

any ideas?

thanks!

------------------------------

From: "Paul Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New To Linux - Distributions
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:47:18 -0000

Hi ,

You should try imho " LINUX in a Nutshell " by " O`Reilly " and for the
Distro i would recommend SuSe 7.0 ( for ease of use ) or Slackware ( for the
More Advanced user ).

No doubt from this i`ll get some stick on the matter but these are my own
preferences.

--
Yours ,

Paul Morris

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your
going to get " Forrest Gump
"Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:oMtT5.193$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mandrake or SuSE are excellent Newbie dists. Either will install easily
> without requiring hours of learning. You should, however, be familiar with
> the UNIX style of environment before plunging in headfirst. If you don't,
> you'll have the OS installed and running but you won't have the faintest
> idea what to do with it.
>
> No distribution will allow you to run your games in their present form.
That
> would be like trying to run a Windows game on a Mac. The way Linux is
> organised is completely different from Windows. The software is not
> interchangeable. There are however, certain programs that will allow you
> do a certain amount of limited work (or play) with Windows programs. The
> best idea would be to keep Windows as well as Linux though, because these
> programs are not really in a fit state as yet. They certainly won't cope
> with todays games.
>
> Adam
> Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ybiT5.13365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am thinking about downloading and installing Linux for the first time.
> > am very familiar with Windows/DOS environments but from what I have
> > heard/seen of Linux so far I have a feeling I am going to be pretty
lost,
> > but I think I would like to try it any way.
> >
> > I have found huge lists of Linux Distributions, and I am not sure which
> one
> > to get.  Bascially I use my computer for Windows based games (such as
Red

------------------------------

From: mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 won't shut down
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:10:07 -0600

Chris Menzel wrote:

> I just upgraded from Mandrake 7.0 to to 7.2.  ... After
> shutting down processes it generates the message "INIT: No more
> processes in this
> runlevel" at which point the machine just sits there.

I had the same problem, and I got myself to
a command prompt at that point, logged in as root, and
issued shutdown -h now
which finished the job.  I just put 7.2 on here last night
and can't tell you quite how I got to the prompt - maybe I
did alt-F2 to start a terminal. Seems like an oddly
basic way to halt a system that's otherwise trying to be
very graphical.

Otherwise I found 7.2 to be a very nice fresh install --
I wasn't doing an upgrade though. I have found no
shortcomings so far except for some documentation which
was not finished in time for the release.

MP

------------------------------

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 27 Nov 2000 02:18:37 +0100

Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Prior to installing Qt-2.2.2 I didn't even set that var.
 >  But, TollTech thinks otherwise and it's so easy to mod
 > either profile.x or bashrc.

Yes.  And usually all will work fine on a standalone desktop box.

And Qt itself shouldn't be the problem (no regularly used binaries in
it apart from moc), but - when compiling other packages oneself which
do link Qt.

BTW, with most packages one can add the 'run time path' compiler flag
by setting LDFLAGS.  But unfortunately some Makefiles override these
'automatic' Makefile-variables without care.  And - the proper
environment variable even varies sometimes (CFLAGS e.g.).

I know an environment (Suns most of the time), which always had
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to Sun's X11 libraries.  MIT-X11 apps were
compiled without care and now one gets conflicts all the time about
particular libXt version numbers or alike.

Sven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Partitioning questions
Date: 27 Nov 2000 02:09:20 GMT

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:18:16 -0600, Alex Stoll wrote:
>I bought a new 40 GB hard drive, and I'd like to partition it so I can have
>Linux and Windows partitions. I already have a 8.4GB drive as my master: the
>40GB will be the slave. My master is partitioned into four different drives
>(I installed it when I had Windows 95 [and FAT16] - now I have 98 2nd Ed).
>How would I do this? How big do I need to make the Linux partition? Will I
>be able to access files from my Windows partition from Linux, and vice
>versa? I've never used Linux before, but I'd like to. Thanks in advance,

All distros that come with a paper manual should include a chapter on
partitioning the hard drive, your options in doing so, and advice on the
best way to do it.  Generally, you make a small partition on the first
drive that's within the 1024-cylinder (8G) limit and call that /boot .
If you're not using the last partition on your old 8G drive for much
atm, put all of its stuff elsewhere, delete that last partition, and
make a 20M Linux partition + a 1.9G FAT partition in the space that 2G
partition used to occupy.

People have had massive discussions on how large the Linux partitions
need to be.  Basically, you want one swap partition of about 128M.
Everything else is up in the air and will depend on what you want to do
with your machine.  Often, people will create one big / partition to
hold everything, but there are some good reasons for separating this big
partition into / , /var, /home, /usr, and /usr/local/ .  / should be as
small as you can make it, /var should be a couple hundred M, /usr should
take up a lot of space, and /home should too.

You can fit a lot of stuff into 2G of space, but if you want to store a
lot of data and/or have a lot of Linux programs hanging around, you'll
want at least 4G.  Linux can read and write to FAT16 and FAT32
partitions without problems, but Windoze can't read ext2 filesystems at
all.  There's a program called "explore2fs" which lets you read and
write ext2 partitions from 9x/NT, but 'Doze programs can't work
with files on ext2--you must use explore2fs to copy things over to a FAT
partition.

See http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ for the Partitioning HOWTO, and check
http://linuxnewbie.org/ for possible answers to your questions.  HTH,
good luck and enjoy the penguin....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Library Question
Date: 27 Nov 2000 02:09:21 GMT

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:26:31 -0200, Leo Cambilargiu wrote:
>What is the difference between a static library and a linking one?
>How do you declare which one to use?
>Do you need to have *.o files available?
>How are linking librarys different from modules?

A shared library generally has a filename ending in .so , and consists
of code which is dynamically added to an executable at runtime.  When
you compile "int main(void){printf("hello world"); return 0;}" with
shared libraries, the executable looks kind of like so:

[initilization code]
[execute the function printf with arg "hello world"; it should be mapped
into memory at 0xBLAHBLAH, if it isn't, it's in /lib/libc.so.6 ]

A static library generally has a filename that ends with .a , and if you
link a program with a static library, code from the static library is
added to the executable directly.  The program would then look like so:

[initialization code]
[execute the function printf with arg "hello
world"; machine code for the printf function follows immediately below.]
[a bunch of code for printf()]

When you specify "-lblah" to the compiler, it first looks for
"libblah.so" and if it can't find that, looks for "libblah.a" and uses
that--*unless* you tell the compiler "--use-static", when it only looks
for libblah.a .  Dynamic linking is the default, since it reduces the
size of the executable greatly and is often more memory-efficient.

Kernel modules are special in that they're linked to the kernel and they
run in kernel space.  The specifics of the linking and dynamic loading
mechanism that kernel modules use are beyond me atm.  The documentation
for "insmod" may answer some of your questions.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.os.linux.development
Date: 27 Nov 2000 02:09:23 GMT

[NGs trimmed]
On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:11:18 GMT, Arctic Storm wrote:
>Stuart Bell wrote:
>>
>> Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > I've attached the "make.out" file, that has the error messages.
>>
>> So you have, you stupid idiot. Several hundred lines of code. Totally
>> inexcusable for non-binary newsgroups. You'll need more than a
>> spam-shield if you do it again; more like a new ISP. ;-)
>
>I almost didn't reply because flaming is beneath me, but you need help.
>You're immature and lack developement.  If posting childish babble is
>the highlight of your day, you need guidance and direction.

Sir:

You posted a 3222-line message which contained a large amount of crud to
5 newsgroups.  Posting very long messages (anything over 300 lines that
isn't a FAQ list, usually) is considered rude by everyone, especially
people with slow dialup connects, people who pay for every incoming
byte, and people who run news servers.  Your 170K post has propagated
across Usenet, wasting (several hundred*170K) of disk and bandwidth.
Someone has to pay for those resources, and it sure as heck wasn't you.

I not-so-humbly suggest that *YOU* need guidance and direction on the
basics of nettiquette.

*PLONK*