Linux-Misc Digest #417, Volume #24                Tue, 9 May 00 19:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Iomega Zip Detection (mst)
  Re: ATA/66 accessed as ATA/33 ? (bgeer)
  samba printing (Patrick O'Neil)
  Re: Can't run Netscape?? ("David ..")
  Re: Advice on Netware under linux. (joe 90)
  Re: mail all users ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using mount from general user account ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: finding out what distribution you have ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  changeing irq's ("s_gallaghan")
  Re: xdm bandwidth requirements (Zanikolas Serafim)
  Re: Benchmarks and relative speeds (Raj Rijhwani)
  Linux behaving like Windows ("Calixto Melean")
  gnoRPM help? (amoroz)
  Re: Where is the kernel source? (Steve Feil)
  Re: samba printing (Anthony Valentine)
  Re: LILO 1024 cyl thing (Robert Heller)
  Re: Linux behaving like Windows (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: Webcams + Sound activated alarm system (Chris Beauchamp)
  Re: lost /var/log after system crash (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: Keep a program running after logging out (Bill Unruh)

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega Zip Detection
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 17:03:14 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I got a Iomega Zip and i desesperatly try to detect it under Linux (Red
> Hat, or Mandrake), but linux never find it (i try during the
> installation). I got a Super Socket 7, the model M577 from PCC, and i
> try with Parallel Port on ECP, EPP, ECP+EPP...
>
> Please Help...

I understand from your post you're talking about a parallel port zip -
if not, state it clearly.
For the PP zip, first your parallel port must be correctly configured;
then, you must use the correct driver. For the zip100, the module is
called ppa.o. Try:
/sbin/modprobe ppa
Of course, you must be root for this. If it works, you can setup the
module to load automatically at boot - I'm not familiar with either RH
or mdk SysV-style init scripts; in Slackware, I would put the above line
in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bgeer)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: ATA/66 accessed as ATA/33 ?
Date: 9 May 2000 15:09:59 -0600

Sandhitsu R Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 >I'm buying a system with ATA/66 HDD. I hear that linux doesn't yet support
 >ATA/66. Till it does, won't it use the disk as an ATA/33 ?

I recently benchmarked a K6-3 on a VIA-based EPOX m'board with a
Samsung 4gig ATA-66 capable disk drive using kernel 2.2.13 from
Slackware 7.  The system installed & ran with no problems.  I patched
the kernel source to include ATA-33, which also ran with no problems.

My "benchmark" was compiling the kernel; ATA-33 decreased the compile
time from 3:47 to 3:40, a whopping 3% improvement.  This is in the
same ballpark as a 6% performance increase claimed by someone who
patched a kernel to ATA-66.

I don't consider a kernel compile in 64M of ram a significant disk
benchmark.  It does show me that, given how I use computers, ide
vs. ATA-66 vs. scsi makes little difference.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky  |               *             <>
<>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |    _o      *   o *      o   <>

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: samba printing
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 15:14:12 -0600

I am running Mandrake 7.0 with samba-2.0.6-4.  I have been
trying to make samba printing work but have NEVER been able
with Mandrake.  I have tried setting up the shared printers
via printtool to no avail...all entries were correct and
triple checked.  When I try to print a testpage, nothing
happens and all I get is a message to root that the file
could not be printed.  Nothing in the logs to explain
further.

I tried setting up the printers via linuxconf but still
fail to print.  No error messages.  I have checked
/var/spool/lpd entries for the printers (lp, lp0, and lp1)
and see that they are all owned by root and part of root
group.  Is this correct?  Shouldn't the group be something
else like daemon or something?  Are all the entries in the
/var/spool/lpd/lp* directories supposed to be owned by
root and root group?

patrick

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't run Netscape??
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 16:19:33 -0500

Rick Hoffman wrote:

> When logged in as a normal user, Netscape is not locating any servers.
> It is as if I am off-line but I know I am connected to my ISP.  Even if
> I su root Netscape does not respond.  The only way I am being able to
> use Netscape is to log in as root.  Has anyone ever had this problem or
> have any ideas as to what I need to do?  I am finding Linux
> documentation a little weak as far as helping out a newbie weening
> himself off root and into getting around as a normal user.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> hoffy

enter this at the command line prior to connecting to the internet.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then connect and see if it works. If it does then edit the
/etc/sysctl.conf file and change the line:

        net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
to:     net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

By doing this you won't have to enter the "echo 1"  line above ever time
you boot the system. If it doesn't fix the problem then unless you
change the sysctl.conf file the echo line will be forgotten the next
time you boot your system.
--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: joe 90 <"joe 90"@nospamplease.thanks>
Subject: Re: Advice on Netware under linux.
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 21:43:48 GMT

Fraser Orr wrote:

> I currently have a NetWare network running with
> a large number of clients (all windows 98/NT.)
> I want to begin to migrate the system as a whole
> to Linux, however I am not sure of the best strategy.
>
> My first task is to provide a database backend.
> To do this I planned, as a first stage, to implement
> a Linux server running MySQL. Using this allow the
> client windows 98 systems to access the MySQL
> system via MyODBC.
>
> However, I am not sure how well Linux will interact
> in this environment. I am particularly concerned
> with whether it will be able to operate under Netware.

This is all possible and others are doing it.  If you are already using
Netware Clients and ipx on the workstations, then mars-nwe & ipx is a
stable environment for providing the windoze clients with bindery based
authentication to Linux based file & print services.

A question - who will be implementing this and what is their
knowledge/skill level?

If you are paying someone else to plan, install, configure the switch,
it could be done very quickly say 25 hours work for an expert.  If you
are learning from scratch (probably as you are asking the questions) you
can expect to spend a significant amount of time learning how to use the
operating system & software, before getting to the stage where you can
achieve what you want - at least 5x the 25 hours.

A suggested option would be to get a machine for the sys/net admin to
tinker with for 50 hours, then pay for and go on a week long training
course.  When that is done, pay for a consultant to complete the install
& config and the sys/net admin can then maintain the network easily
using the consultant for 3rd line support, which shouldn't be very
frequently, whilst learning on the job.

This may seem like an expensive option, but in the long term will
probably give the largest return on investment.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mail all users
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 21:44:46 GMT

Jason Kayarian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hello,

> I'm running RH 5.2 and would like to send an e-mail message to every user on
> the system without having to do each one individually. Any ideas? Is there a
> command on the system for this or do I have to do it with a script. Would
> anyone please mail me directly at my address, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can create an alias of all users, and use that.
(Add it to /etc/aliases)

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using mount from general user account
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 21:44:47 GMT

Kari Pahula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Mount command seems to be a bit stupid and only look for the presence
> of a second argument, not what it says.  Also, you can't use -t to
> specify the file system type (not even for floppies... :-( ).

But you can add an "auto" option to fstab so that mount will automatically
detect the correct file system type, so users should never need the -t
option.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: finding out what distribution you have
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 21:44:48 GMT

Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> On 8 May 2000 13:35:19 -0700, Sam E. Trenholme wrote:
>>>I am a user on two mail servers running under Linux at our
>>>college. How can I tell the distribution from which Linux was
>>>installed?
>>
>>Each distribution has a signature.

> Agreed. If you find any instance of "yast" or "yast2", you're on a SuSE box.

Not to mention suseconfig and all the directories that have things like
"SuSE.README".

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: "s_gallaghan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: changeing irq's
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:26:19 +1200

Hi
I am trying to get my modem working. linux (turbolinux) is finding the port
correctly but not the irq (it says irq 2 when it is irq 9).
I have tried using
 setserial /dev/modem irq 9
and
 setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 9

but it isn't changing the irq.
i.e. if I do a setserial /dev/modem it is still set to 2.

how can I get it to change????

------------------------------

From: Zanikolas Serafim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xdm bandwidth requirements
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:11:39 +0300

On 9 May 2000, J Bland wrote:

> >     I'd like to know how much bandwidth xdm requires per display.
> >Ofcourse this is something that depends on several matters. Let's just
> >say that we 've got minimal desktop environments (no wallpapers and such
> >stuff) working a couple of xterms on each one of them.
> >
> This will really, really depend on what you're going to be doing and on what
> hardware.
>
> I have ~5 machines here being dumb X terminals from a central server. With
> things like KDE and some xterms etc the bandwidth generally flickers around
> the 100k/s region. Moving windows around and stuff can cause peaks but
> generally everything is smooth (this is on 10MBit ethernet).
>
> Horses for courses. I would say experiment with both options and see which
> gives the best overall performance.
>
> PJF

        thank you very very much!
        you 've been most helpfull...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Benchmarks and relative speeds
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 20:48:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  ** none **   writes:

> There is a minor problem in that with some BIOSes Linux does not correct
> discover memory above 64Mb, so it only uses the first 64.  If you have
> that problem you just have to add an append argument to your lilo.conf
> file to tell the kernel explicitly how much memory it has and all is
> fine.

Yes - that I knew about already, and overcame.  I just wondered if there
was a loading issue.  I'd heard rumbled somewhere that there was.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

------------------------------

From: "Calixto Melean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux behaving like Windows
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 18:28:43 -0400

So, I am up to the point where I need to compile my modules, after entering
"make modules", it starts compiling for about 3 or 4 minutes and then the
machine hangs, no mouse no keyboard, frozen!, I wait for about 30min and
nothing happens. I have to unplug the machine and hope I am not screwing my
hard disks.

I have no clue whats going on. Memory is Ok, swap file is almost empty......

appreciate any idea on how to debug this

thanks

cal

------------------------------

From: amoroz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnoRPM help?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 22:30:08 GMT

Has anyone else had issue with gnoRPM for redhat 6.2? It installs lots of
stuff fine, but then it does weird stuff when I try to download openssh
(or openssl for that matter, which it needs).. it ("web find", or
whatever) works fine until I hit install or download, in which case some
brief "progress" dialogs flash on my screen but then disappear within a
second and in the end nothing is installed or downloaded and I get no
error message. Any ideas? I'm using the standard gnome "workstation"
installation.. nothing fancy at all. Thanks in advance..

-Andrew Moroz

From: Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is the kernel source?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 17:33:03 -0500

Ken Yasuda wrote:

> I guess this should be a fairly easy one:
>
> I am trying to do a "make" and (various gui modifications) on my kernel in
> /usr/src/linux. I keep getting the error that there is no target for config,
> menuconfig, xconfig, etc...
>
> I've been told that it may be because my kernel source is not in the
> /usr/src/linux directory.  What exactly do I look for in order to determine this,
> and how do you actually go about finding the kernel?
>
> An ls -l in /usr/src/linux gives:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  16 root     root         4096 Jan 28 21:32 include

You need to install kernel sources. If you are using a RedHat (RPM)
based system you can install  kernel-source.rpm .
If you have your GUI running, use "make xconfig".

 Steven Feil           | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
 Programmer/Developer  | century, why did people use an        /V\
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]          | operating system, when they were not // \\

From: Anthony Valentine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba printing
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 14:41:09 -0800

Patrick,

On my RedHat system, the files in /var/spool/lpd are group lp:
$ ls -l
total 3
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     lp           1024 May  9 12:28 lp
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Feb 21 11:44 lp0
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            4 May  8 11:06 lpd.lock

Try setting your group and see what happens!

Good luck,

Anthony

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO 1024 cyl thing
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 22:43:17 GMT

  Rick Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 09 May 2000 16:35:35 -0400, wrote :

RH> > /dev/hda1 1-2gig - FAT16 Win C: drive (base system + base applications)
RH> > /dev/hda2 64meg - Ext2 linux root: /
RH> > /dev/hda3 up to 1/2 way point - FAT32 Win D: drive (put your docs, MP3s, MOVs,
RH> >                                 AVIs, etc. here)
RH> > /dev/hda4 <extended -- the second 1/2 of the disk>
RH> >   /dev/hda5 128meg -- swap
RH> >   /dev/hda6 1.5gig -- Ext2 /usr
RH> >   /dev/hda7 64meg  -- Ext2 /var
RH> >   /dev/hda8 rest of disk -- Ext2 /home
RH> >
RH> > This sort of partitioning should allow all of /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 to
RH> > be completely below cylinder 1024.  The stock lilo will be happy,
RH> > Windows will be happy.  Everything should work just fine.
RH> >
RH>
RH> Robert, who, what and how decides which directories go onto which partitions?
RH> What directories go into / or /usr or /var.  How do you get them there?  You know
RH> what I am asking?  Partitioning I am finding as now the easy part.  But how do I
RH> get the data to the partitions and have a working file system afterwards?

Linux (and UNIX in general) has a 'standard' layout for various things
(binaries, libraries, config files, etc.).  Unlike MS-Windows, Linux
(like UNIX) presents a single *logical* file system tree.  Under
Linux/UNIX things *appear* to always be one file system, whether it is
one partition or 256 partitions.  One can 'mount' physical file system
(disks / partitions) anywhere that is 'convenient'.

The Linux installer will make a file system tree something like this:

/
/dev
/boot
/bin
/sbin
/lib
/etc
/mnt
/tmp
/var
        /var/log
        /var/spool
        /var/run
        /var/tmp        (some systems)
        /var/lock
/usr
        /usr/bin
        /usr/sbin
        /usr/lib
        /usr/man
        /usr/share
        /usr/tmp
/home

(There is more, but this gives you the *basic* idea.)

It will put in /dev little device files.  Lots of them, but all zero
length.

It will put boot files (vmlinux, initrd, etc.) in /boot.

It will put base system utilities (needed in single user mode, before
/usr is mounted) in /bin, the libraries needed in single user mode in
/lib, and the base system daemons and priv. utilities is /sbin.

It will put configuration stuff in /etc.

So far everything would be in /dev/hda2.

Next the installer will put user applications in /usr/bin, non-critical
system utilities in /usr/sbin, their libraries in /usr/lib, man pages in
/usr/man, and shared data in /usr/share.  This all will be in /dev/hda6.

It will set things up in /var -- this is where system run time stuff
happens -- mail, news, and print spool, running daemon PIDs in /var/run,
locks in /var/lock (or /var/run/lock), system log files in /var/log,
etc.  This is all on /dev/hda7.

Finally, user personal files (and stuff like initial HTTP pages and anon
ftp files) will go into /home (/dev/hda8).

How does the Linux installer know which partition is which?  It
doesn't. Early in the install phase you tell the installer where to
mount each partition -- this maps devices (/dev/hda6) to mount points
(/usr).  Once everything is mounted, the installer just puts stuff in
the directories where the stuff belongs, as told by the stored file
structure in the packages (rpm/cpio, tar, whatever) used by the
distribution.

On a running Linux (or UNIX) system, *partitions* are not a *visible*
part of the file system tree, unless one uses the df command.  One uses
the cd command to move from directory to directory *seamlessly* --
a different *physical* file system (partition/disk) is not selected by
some special syntax or command, like it is in MS-DOS/MS-Windows.  If you
never use the df command, you are presently with the *illusion* of one
single file system, even when it is broken up across multiple disks and/or
partitions.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux behaving like Windows
Date: 9 May 2000 15:59:26 -0700

>So, I am up to the point where I need to compile my modules, after entering
>"make modules", it starts compiling for about 3 or 4 minutes and then the
>machine hangs, no mouse no keyboard, frozen!, I wait for about 30min and
>nothing happens.

This sounds like a hardware problem.  What kind of motherboard and
processor do you have, have you checked your RAM, etc?

I suspect bad RAM myself.

- Sam

--
Go to http://www.hoohahrecords.com/rap for information on the Bohemian RAP CD
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Beauchamp)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Webcams + Sound activated alarm system
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 00:05:13 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Adrian Mann wrote:
>Hi  2 questions .
>
>1 Is there a list somewhere of compatible webcams and Linux ?
Try www.linux-usb.org - there is either a list there, or a list to a list
I have a ZoomCam USB (on Special at PCWorld over Easter), which works
very nicely.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: lost /var/log after system crash
Date: 9 May 2000 16:05:41 -0700

>My computer running Redhat 6.0 lost power unexpectedly. After it was
>rebooted, the system complained about the unmounted file systems,
>checked the file systems for inconsistencies, then appeared to recover.

Hmmm...jog your memory.  Did the e2fsck program return a lot of messages
about deleted inodes or some such?  Sounds like you might have a hard disk
on the blink.

With a system as badly hozed as yours, I would restore from backups and
reinstall, myself.

- Sam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Keep a program running after logging out
Date: 9 May 2000 23:06:34 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Romain BAILLY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Here's a simple question : how to avoid a program from being killed on
>logging out ? I know there's a command to achieve this, but it just
>can't remember its name.

If it is running on a command line, ^Z and then bg
(It cannot produce output nor want input. Ie, if it does the stdin and
out must be redirected)

An X program makes no sense as it produces output on the screen which
noone can see.