Linux-Misc Digest #451, Volume #24               Fri, 12 May 00 22:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: GNU tar compress on the fly? (Paul Colquhoun)
  Printer driver for a Lexmark Z11 ("John S. Rodrigues")
  CD-writing utility ("Turbo alberta")
  Re: where does filesize get set? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: [Q]CDROM does not mount (Jim Hollenback)
  Re: Recommendation for beginner (Harlan Grove)
  Changing HD on IDE problem ("Arnie Holks")
  SnapServer from Quantum (Tom Williams)
  Re: From Linux BACK to Win 98SE ("Lonni J. Friedman")
  Compiling FlightGear 0.7.1 (Sylvain Bouchard)
  Re: GNU tar compress on the fly? (Kari Pahula)
  dvdplay hanging ("V.P.")
  Re: remote access over dsl line (Patrick O'Neil)
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux (Guilherme Oliveira)
  Re: Changing HD on IDE problem ("Lonni J. Friedman")
  Re: Printserver for Windows-PC's (Sparkzz)
  Opinion about "Mandrake 6" ("Jun1or")
  Re: RAMDISK size (Sparkzz)
  Re: Changing HD on IDE problem ("Arnie Holks")
  Re: FreeBSD and Linux (Christopher Browne)
  re: Spamming ("Arnie Holks")
  HOW? Get started to a new hard disk ("Jun1or")
  Re: CD-writing utility (John McKown)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: GNU tar compress on the fly?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 23:19:06 GMT

On Fri, 12 May 2000 17:01:33 -0500, Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|I'm working with a script that generated compressed files on the fly
|and pipes them to another computer.  Using GNU tar can I generate a
|compressed file and send it to standard out.
|
|I've tried the following but it just generated a file called
|"--to-stdout"

|tar -zcvf --to-stdout <file list>
|
|If seams that the flag "--to-stdout" is for decompression only.  Is it
|possible for GNU tar to do this or will I have to fix the GNU tar
|source code to do this .

Yes '--to-stdout' is to *extract* files to standard output.

To put the compressed archive onto standard output, just use
the single dash 'use stdio' convention, like this:

tar zcf - <file list>

NOTE: using the 'v' option will probably corrupt the archive
as it will also put a list of file names to standard out. It
may be worth experimenting with 'v', but keep this in mind.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: "John S. Rodrigues" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer driver for a Lexmark Z11
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:29:10 -0500

I have a lexmark Z11 inkjet printer. I have not been able to locate a
linux port for the driver. The printer came with the required software
to install it on windoze.

Is there I could confingure my printer for Linux either via postscript
or by using the windoze drivers in conjunction with wine or is there any
documentation as to "How to get started to write a printer driver for a
inkjet printer"??

------------------------------

From: "Turbo alberta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-writing utility
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:27:11 +0100

I'm looking for some utility that enables me to specify a subdirectory and
creates a new subdirectory with symbolic links to all the files in the
specified subdirectory.

Does something like this exist? This would be very handy for CDRW backups.
Because of lack of space one could create a directory with links to the
files on the CDRW add some new files switch things a bit around and
finally throw it in an iso-image. If something like this already exists
let me know, else I will have to write it myself.

Turbo Alberta

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: where does filesize get set?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 23:32:53 GMT

"Lonni J. Friedman" wrote:

> Shawn Beckwith wrote:
> >
> > Could this be a Kernel setting?  What is your OS?
>
> It *is* a kernel settings, and his OS should be linux, considering
> that's where ther query was sent.

Considering he included the output of uname -a and it indicated that
he is running Linux kernel 2.2.13 on a i686, I'd say that there's no
question as to which OS he's running.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Hollenback)
Subject: Re: [Q]CDROM does not mount
Date: 12 May 2000 23:23:45 GMT

George Bell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Do you have a cd in the drive when you try to mount it?

Yep. Even got a data one, not a music one!

--
Jim Hollenback

From: Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for beginner
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:35:49 -0700

In article <8fhs8c$oof$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ken
White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks Folk, I think I'll opt to buy a version of red hat
>than comes with a good manual and jump right in . . . .,

I'd recommend 'Red Hat Linux Installation & Configuration
Handbook' from Que. It comes with a RH 6.0 CD. It's getting
a bit dated (StarOffice, for one example, is a couple of
versions beyond the one documented in the book), but most
of it should be usable with newer Red Hat 6.x versions.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: "Arnie Holks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing HD on IDE problem
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:03:13 +0100

Well,
I've changed the position of my Linux HD to primary slave from secondary
master.  I've edited the lilo.coonf to boot linux from hdb6 rather than hdc6
but it still looks for things (ie swap!!) on hdc6.  I've tried editing
fstab, yet since i have no swap drive (it's in a new position!) I cannot
edit the file to point in the right direction.  What happens when you want
to move your IDE devices around?
I want my new configuration to be:

PM-Windoze drive
PS- Linux Drive
SM - CDRW Drive
SS - CD Drive

any help appreciated   ;))

From: Tom Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SnapServer from Quantum
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 00:00:59 GMT

Hi!  Does anyone know if the new SnapServer from Quantum
(http://www.snapserver.com) is running Linux as the embedded OS or
something else like QNX or something proprietary?

Peace.....

Tom

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: From Linux BACK to Win 98SE
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 19:18:06 -0400

"Mark(un-MASK)Forsyth" wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 01:44:36 -0400, Lonni J. Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >"Jeff W." wrote:
> >>
> >> I currently have Corel Linux OS on my laptop and I just don't like the way
> >> it works, I've had monitor problems, and a whole mess of things. I want to
> >> take it off completely and reinstall Win 98SE. Now, I have Win 2000 on my
> >> terminal and I don't know what kind of startup disk I'll need. Are there
> >> any suggestions on how to go back to 98 on the laptop??  Thanks in advance.
> >
> >I think you need to be asking in a windoze NG.  We do linux here, in
> >case you didn't notice.  You didn't ask in a windoze NG how to get rid
> >of windoze to install linux, did you?
>
> Don't be so petty.

Petty???  Would you go to a windoze NG and ask people how to remove
linux?

------------------------------

From: Sylvain Bouchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling FlightGear 0.7.1
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:27:10 -0400

I need to know how to successfully install.  I have it installed on
Windows and the problem is that  I unpack the sceneries into the
sceneries directory and it keeps shooting me "Looking in
./Scenery/w120n30/w111n33/..." while the directory it says is not there
anymore and it works ????

And I want to compile it Linux.  Neither FlightGear 0.7.2 nor FlightGear

0.7.1 compiles successfully, I have RedHat 5.2.

------------------------------

From: Kari Pahula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 May 2000 00:28:38 GMT

Steve Feil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm working with a script that generated compressed files on the fly
>and pipes them to another computer.  Using GNU tar can I generate a
>compressed file and send it to standard out.

tar zcv <file list>
or, if you really want to keep that 'f' flag
tar zcvf - <file list>

------------------------------

From: "V.P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dvdplay hanging
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 00:35:52 GMT

why when a going to play dvd   dvdplay -cT1 my linux box hanging ?

 I have a Dxr2 card and a SCSI  DVD . Linux-2.2.15 with patchs and the

  latest drivers from Creative.

 Any help is apreciated

 V.P.

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: remote access over dsl line
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:35:41 -0600

Alex Lam wrote:

> mungus wrote:
> >
> > i'm running rh6.0 and i'm connected to the Internet via dsl modem. On
> > another hand, at work i'm accessing internet trough cable modem. Is there
> > any way to access my home computer remotely (using internet). I guess that
> > would be something simular to PCAnywhere for windowz.
> >
> > thank you (whoever u are!!!)
> >
> ssh, vpn, to name a couple.

[...]

It may not be this simple.  I have an external cisco 675 router for dsl
with uswest.  It runs as a NAT server.  I can connect to the router but
I cannot get from the router to my computer behind the router...I have
tried with ftp and telnet which are supplied apps with the router.

Unless someone knows a means of doing this, it may not be (easily)
possible, depending on what type of dsl setup you have.

praedor

------------------------------

From: Guilherme Oliveira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and Linux
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:34:11 +0100

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> Yes - each major distribution has it's own way of packaging things.
> If you have done something odd to your libraries so the abundently
> available binaries won't work the sources are also available.  With
> rpm based distributions you would grab an srpm and use rpm --rebuild.

We need to configure the processor type somewhere, or it will compile
based in the processor defined in the kernel ?

Tnx.
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://www.nortenet.pt/~guilherme/

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing HD on IDE problem
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:34:36 -0400

Arnie Holks wrote:

> Well,
> I've changed the position of my Linux HD to primary slave from secondary
> master.  I've edited the lilo.coonf to boot linux from hdb6 rather than hdc6
> but it still looks for things (ie swap!!) on hdc6.  I've tried editing
> fstab, yet since i have no swap drive (it's in a new position!) I cannot
> edit the file to point in the right direction.  What happens when you want
> to move your IDE devices around?
> I want my new configuration to be:
>
> PM-Windoze drive
> PS- Linux Drive
> SM - CDRW Drive
> SS - CD Drive

You should be able to edit the file even without swap.  What happens
when you try?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sparkzz)
Subject: Re: Printserver for Windows-PC's
Date: 13 May 2000 01:27:11 GMT

I use SAMBA with LPRng.

I have 4 linux boxes serving as print servers for about 450 Win95 machines.

(PS: 1 Linux box would do it all, but the
boss is a fanatic about backups.)
.
.
....Ken

------------------------------

From: "Jun1or" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opinion about "Mandrake 6"
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:25:23 GMT

i am newbie about Linux and intersting to start with this distribution any
advice comment...is welcome
TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sparkzz)
Subject: Re: RAMDISK size
Date: 13 May 2000 01:28:43 GMT

try:
append="ramdisk=16000"
in lilo.

.
.
....Ken

------------------------------

From: "Arnie Holks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 02:28:19 +0100

Apologies about the 4x mail Lonni, as you can gather it IS indeed MS
crplook, 'cos my linux disk is inaccessible! (at the moment), i'll try your
suggestion tommorow,
thanx!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:33:39 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Alexander Viro would say:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[snip]
>>--
>>((LAMBDA (X) (X X)) (LAMBDA (X) (X X)))
>
>If you didn't do it by hands I'm very impressed - sigmonster picking
>the perfect Subject: for this thread...

No, that was random...
[Excerpted from cookies.scm...]
;;; showcookie - main "driver"
;;; Opens .signature file, and writes out the cookie.
;;; Displays the cookie too...
 (define (showcookie)
   (let* ((cookie (read-random-cookie))
          (sigpath (getenv "HOME"))
          (sigfile (build-path sigpath ".signature"))
          (outport (open-output-file sigfile 'replace))
          (outalt (open-output-file sigalt 'replace))
          (output-to-file
           (lambda (line)
             (write-linep line outport)))
          (output-to-altfile
           (lambda (line)
             (write-linep line outalt))))
     (for-each output-to-file cookie)
     (for-each write-line cookie)
     (let
         ((name
           (if
            (> 256 (random 512))
            "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
            "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"))
          (web
           (if
            (> 256 (random 512))
            "- <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>"
            "- <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>")))
       (write-linep (string-append name web) outport)
       (write (string-append name web)))
     (close-output-port outport)))
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #138. "The passageways to and within my
domain will be well-lit with fluorescent lighting. Regrettably, the

------------------------------

From: "Arnie Holks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: re: Spamming
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 02:36:45 +0100

I have only sent that mail ONCE! Daren't mail you an apology (see previous
post) , I have no intention in spamming you.
Thanks for the advice and I will get on to my ISP staright away (which btw
is www.fsnet.co.uk)
Apologies again...

news:8fibb0$r74$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jun1or" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HOW? Get started to a new hard disk
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 01:40:22 GMT

I just bought a new hard disk (it is UDMA33) what do I have to start to
set-up a Linux Mandrake 6 distribution.
I am really confused.....please help
(I am trying to get rid of  from the windose addiction)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John McKown)
Subject: Re: CD-writing utility
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:34:41 -0500

On Sat, 13 May 2000 01:27:11 +0100, Turbo alberta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]>I'm looking for some utility that enables me to specify a subdirectory and
]>creates a new subdirectory with symbolic links to all the files in the
]>specified subdirectory.
]>
]>Does something like this exist? This would be very handy for CDRW backups.
]>Because of lack of space one could create a directory with links to the
]>files on the CDRW add some new files switch things a bit around and
]>finally throw it in an iso-image. If something like this already exists
]>let me know, else I will have to write it myself.
]>
]>Turbo Alberta
]>

mkdir dir-containing-symlinks
cd dir-containing-symlinks
for i in /absolute/path/to/dir/with/files/*;do ln -s $i $(basename $i);done

That's it. I even tested it and it looks OK to me. Oh, it does NOT traverse
subdirectories. That's more complicated, and to be honest, I'm too lazy
to figure it out right now.

John