From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cOREL LINUX iNSTALLATION
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:27:41 -0700

When Corel Linux installs in a DOS/Windows partition it
creates two files in this partition. One acts as the swap
partition and one as the Linux partition. They are found in
the \cdl (I think) directory - delete this (deltree) and all
should be well. I would run scandisk or similar afterwards,
to make sure the Windows partition is cleaned up. Come to
think of it, it would also be worth running scandisk and
defrag before installing.

As for the long wait, I found there were some vdery long
waits when I installed Corel on my laptop. Have another cup
of coffee!

Peter

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: "Jed Baer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Kernel modules not using best_function.c
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:47:38 -0700

Ok, so I've figured out that all the symbols missing from the modules are in
best_function.c.

make xconfig - "enable cpu specific ... optimization function" is set to yes,
but CONFIG_X86_CPU_OPTIMIZATIONS is not being defined.

So, I found arch/i386/defconfig, and added a line to define it. Did a make
dep, make clean, make bzImage, reboot, make modules, make modules_install.

Same problem - when trying to load any modules, get unresolved symbols for
everything in best_function.c.

Is this a bug in make xconfig? How can I make certain this is being set? IANAC
(I am not Alan Cox). I'm not even a novice kernel hacker, despite finding the
above. Am I totally misunderstanding what's going on here? Is there a better
NG for this issue?

TIA for any advice.
jed
--
\ thag ( at sign )
 \  rockchucker

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:53:03 GMT

The blowfish writes:
> Me. Geek?  No. I never had formal computer/programming trainning.

Where did you get the idea that formal training had anything to do with
being a geek?  Even a computer geek?

> It all started as a hobby.

It doesn't get any geekier than that.

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: cronjob: disable email notice
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:52:06 GMT

Lily Fu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thank you very much. Appreciated your reply.
>
> Lily
>
> Andreas Kahari wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Lily Fu  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >For some reason, I need to set up a cronjob running every minute.
> > >The cronjob then sends me an email notice everytime the program
> > >runs, the emails clogged my email box.
> > >
> > >Is there a way to disable the email notice from cronjob?
> > >
> > >I am using RedHat 6.1
<snip>
> > Redirect the output of STDOUT and STDERR to "/dev/null" by appending
> > "> /dev/null 2>&1" to the command line in the crontab file.
<snip>

The 'proper way' to do this is set MAILTO=""

--
Prasanth Kumar

Subject: Re: A Big Red Button (and a beep)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:54:41 GMT

Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a headless P166 running Debian in the corner that I use as a
> NAT/Proxy/mess-about system, and I sometimes forget to shut it down via
> my workstation at night, so I have to mess around typing in
> root->password->shutdown, and it can take a while if I make a mistake.
>
> So, would it be possible to attach a Big Red Button via the serial port
> (or any other port) that shut it down? Changing /etc/inittab so that
> ctrl-alt-delete shut it down rather than rebooted seems a bit too easy
> :-)
>
> Also, what would be the best place to put a speaker beep so that I knew
> I could safely turn off the system? There's only one beep to say that
> it's *started* to shut down.
<snip>

I've seen people use the joystick port to do this in the
past. Actually they used it to get around a frozen X windows system or
wedged console/keyboard usually but it was also capable of rebooting
the system. I can't recall the program right now but try searching
Freshmeat.org.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: "Johnmichael Monteith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Website coming up as HTML text on Apache server in Netscape..
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:51:23 -0700

Okay, visit www.psfinc.com and go to some of the sub pages in a Netscape
browser and I think you will see what the problem is.  On some of the sub
pages for whatever reason in Netscape instead of showing the web page it
will display the HTML text.

I am posting this in a Linux newsgroup because it seems to be somewhat
related to the Linux Red Hat 6.1 / Apache server it is being run on since
when I changed servers to HTTPS it seemed to run a little better.

Thoughts?

jp

------------------------------

From: Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:24:33 +0100

Johnmichael Monteith writes:

> Okay, visit www.psfinc.com and go to some of the sub pages in a Netscape
> browser and I think you will see what the problem is.  On some of the sub
> pages for whatever reason in Netscape instead of showing the web page it
> will display the HTML text.
>
> I am posting this in a Linux newsgroup because it seems to be somewhat
> related to the Linux Red Hat 6.1 / Apache server it is being run on since
> when I changed servers to HTTPS it seemed to run a little better.
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe it's interpreting the extension .htm as plain text, and .html as
HTML? That's my diagnosis; let me know if I'm right :-)

--
Kris | ab imo pectore | PGP: 0x34941A9F
F438 005B 9700 E14E 0B8F D3D7 C98E CF45 3494 1A9F

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:27:07 GMT

Johnmichael Monteith wrote:

> Okay, visit www.psfinc.com and go to some of the sub pages in a Netscape
> browser and I think you will see what the problem is.  On some of the sub
> pages for whatever reason in Netscape instead of showing the web page it
> will display the HTML text.
>
> I am posting this in a Linux newsgroup because it seems to be somewhat
> related to the Linux Red Hat 6.1 / Apache server it is being run on since
> when I changed servers to HTTPS it seemed to run a little better.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> jp

It appears that the mime types are not set properly on the server.
The problem occurs only with files that end in .htm. .html pages
are displayed properly.

Make certain that you have the line:

text/html                       html htm

in /etc/mime.types (or whatever TypesConfig is set to).

------------------------------

From: Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:30:25 +0100

Johnmichael Monteith writes:

[ ... ]

badger:~# lynx -dump -head http://www.psfinc.com/riskm/main.htm
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:37:17 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux)
Last-Modified: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:07:08 GMT
ETag: "506b-d37-399424ac"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

badger:~# lynx -dump -head http://www.psfinc.com/index.html
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:37:52 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux)
Last-Modified: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:38:40 GMT
ETag: "4088-51b1-399874f0"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

There's your problem. .html = text/html, .htm = text/plain.

--
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dufas/

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Problem mounting Windows partition
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:34:08 +0000

David wrote:

> I have a Windows partition at hda1. When I try:
> mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
> I get the message "mount: mount point /mnt/win does not exist." I'm
> doing this as root and double checked hda1 in fdisk, but I can't
> figure out what is wrong. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.

Read what Brian suggested and a side step do:
man mount <enter>
and read there what was limping.
Have fun...
--
    Stanislaw on Slak 7.1
Slacker No.162760 on Linux counter.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: SuSE to help AMD bring Linux to Sledgehammer.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:40:50 -0700

AMD has hired SuSE to help bring Linux to its upcoming 64-bit Sledgehammer chip,
the companies will announce tomorrow.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-2523097.html?tag=st.ne.1002.srchres.ni
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.
  (c)Copy Righted by Alex / blowfish-2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting from a different kernel image
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:38:20 +0200

Peter Mitchell wrote:

> You can do it with loadlin - just pass the name of the new
> kernel in the parameters.
>
> The other problem (which applies with lilo and loadlin) is
> if the modules don't match the kernel, eg different
> versions. I don't know what is the best way to handle this.

(I don't like crossposting - posting to c.o.l.m. only).
I guess, the reason that you can't pass a different kernel
file name "on the fly" must be that LILO doesn't know of
files and filesystems at boot time - unlike FreeBSD, for
instance, I believe.
Instead, it can only rely on the /boot/map file that stores
at least the very first sectors of LILO-installed kernel
images  and "other" boot sectors etc. - all in CHS notation,
as LILO depends on the system BIOS at that time - hence the
1024 cylinder problem of "classical" LILOs. The "route"
to the /boot/map file itself must be in the MBR's machine
code - thus, map is the most important part of the LILO
machinery IMHO, but of course it can't go on without
"boot.b" or "chain.b" either.
The situation is different with loadlin : there, you start
from an (inferior, but nevertheless) other OS with a
full-featured file system driver - so no problem at all
to pass a file name, provided it is a valid kernel image.
Anyone finding substantial errors here, please feel free
to correct me, in order to increase our common knowledge
about the booting process of PCs.

Juergen

------------------------------

From: "Skip Adams and Leslie Adams, M.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Attn: Bob M - Update
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:59:33 -0500

Thank Ya'll for all your help.. I did it.. I am on the net in LINUX!!!!!
8-))) I am posting this in windows because I wanted to see if It would get
on the net after changing all the stuff in Compaq BIOS. For any who might be
interested I turned of the PnP. disabeled the PCI config.,
disabeled the ROM scan and last but not least I found a manually configed
the I/O port settings
(which were wrong).. I am sure that I turned off some stuff that I didn't
need to but I am not going to be using Microsoft anymore if I have any say
about it. BTW.. I got both the browsers
(Netscape and StarOffice) to work.. AND.. it is true that things go faster
on the net using Linux.
Thanks again all and my next post will be via Linux.. I now have to set up a
LAN (my first) and we are going with StarOffice to run the bussiness.
Thanks again for all the help. I could not have done it without all of
ya'lls input. So, This is one happy camper saying "Good night"
Skip

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: 4Front Release MPEG1 Video playback plug-in for XMMS.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:07:44 -0700

4Front Technologies and the X MultiMedia System development team announce the
release of MPEG1 video playback plugin for XMMS.

http://linuxpr.com/releases/2353.html

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: Linux "WheelMouse HowTo."
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:14:32 -0700

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/wheelmouselinux/2.shtml

From: "Jon Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Freshly installed FTP service only supports anonymous users
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:21:20 GMT

Aha, a friend of mine told me /etc/ftpaccess is to determine who to LOCK
OUT, not to allow in, and I remember I had explicity added myself to the
list.  Duh.  :)

Jon

news:3CRl5.79091$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/FTP-Setup-Tips/FTP-Setup-Tips.html

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:23:20 -0700

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Tony Lawrence  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >However, I think the purchase could mean very good things
> >for Caldera- they pick up a lot of engineering talent, and
> >of course source code for things Linux currently doesn't
> >have -
>
> Well part of this is exactly why Love left Novell and founded
> Caldera.  He believed in Unixware, and He couldn't get those who were
> so enamored of the Novell way to use the Unixware material they acquired
> from USL to even look at it, so he started Caldera.   That makes Calerda
> one of the early players in the Linux world - and the plus is that
> it was founded by those who believed in Unixware
>
> Love left in 1994.  It was a year later, 1995, when Novell sold the
> USL to SCO.  More than a few left Novell when the Netware side came
> on so strong against Unixare.
>
> This is just my opinion/speculation, but given Love's past like of
> Unixware and the fight's he fought for it at Novell, I suspect he's
> had his eye on CSO for a while. I don't know if he was part of the
> group that casued Novell acquire USL in the first place, but I
> wouldn't be surprised.   THere's more to Caldera than 'just another
> Linux company'.
>
> I just went to check something and see the SCO Web site has
> reverted to what it was last week instead of the SCO/Caldera
> web page that came up eariler today.   This has to be confusing for
> all concerned.

Some more confusion to ponder here: IBM is rumoured to buy Novell!

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000814/tc/novell_dc_1.html

--
- Alex / blowfish.-

------------------------------

From: "Bill \"Houdini\" Weiss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:44:22 -0700

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:17:07 -0400, Mara allowed "Mark T. Dame"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to write:

>Hello.
>
>I have a RedHat 6.2 system on which I need to change the behavior of
>/bin/login for telnet sessions.  When you telnet to the box and press
><Enter> at the login: prompt (without entering a username) you get
>"Login incorrect".  On the console it just gives you another login:
>prompt.  I need /bin/login to behave the same way for a telnet session
>as it does for the console (at least in this regard).

Are you out of your mind?  You want a null login on a publically accesable
system?  Jesus..

If you realy want to, make a user with no name or password.  BAD IDEA.

--
Bill "Houdini" Weiss
minus the _spam, of course

They come at 3:30 in the morning.  Most people aren't up then, but I am.
I can't sleep... ever!
        Tweek, South Park (217)