  Re: Serial port/modem port ("Art S. Kagel")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 2 May 2000 LXNY General Meeting: Michael Smith will speak
on Unix and Free Software
Date: 2 May 2000 08:32:32 -0400

LXNY will have a general meeting Tuesday 2 May 2000.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

The meeting runs from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm.  After the meeting full and
precise instructions on how to get to our traditional place of refreshment
will be given in clear.

Thanks to support of the IBM Corporation, the meeting is at their building
at 590 Madison Avenue at East 57th Street on the Island of Manhattan.
Enter the building at the corner of Madison and 57th and ask at the desk
for the floor and room number.

Michael Smith of LXNY will give an introductory talk on the connections
between Unix and Free Software.

1.  What is Free Software?
2.  What is Project GNU?
3.  What is UNIX(tm)?
4.  What is *n*x?
5.  Why is so much free software *n*x software?
6.  What does the Digital Millennium Copyright Act have to do with all
    this?

http://slashdot.org/interviews/00/05/01/1052216.shtml
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.unix.com
http://www.linux.org
http://www.freebsd.org
http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.openbsd.org
http://www.inch.com/~william/DMCA98.pdf

Thanks to William Abernathy for the copy of the DMCA.

Upcoming Events:

Enterprise Java Beans: Overview and Mini Tutorial by Eric Gudgion

Thursday 18 May 2000
6:00pm - 8:00pm

Sun Microsystems
2 World Trade Center
25th Floor
NY, NY

http://www.javasig.com
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

If you plan to attend please send an email stating your intent to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Include your full name and email address, else you may be forcibly slowed
in your approach to The Beans.

Check in with World Trade Center (WTC) Security on
the ground floor of 2 WTC (south tower, entrance on Liberty Street).

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: Masoud Pajoh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Phone dialer
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:34:54 -0500

Hi All;
I am linux newbie.
Is there an application which will dial the phone?  I am not talking
about PPP or anything like that.
That is if I or my address book passes a phone number to it, it should
dial then I pick up the phone and talk.

I used a program for OS/2 called phoneboy which also had its own address
book.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Masoud

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Linux newbie
Date: 02 May 2000 08:43:26 EDT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 07:30:04 GMT, ary
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I'm a Linux newbie, and am trying to install Redhat 6.1.

Sorry about that... 6.1 seems br0ken and 6.2 isn't that much better.

>this o/s in diffrent system which some of the motherboard is bulid in and
>not.I'm having problem were the o/s did'nt boot up normally with the system
>using build In( Video Display & sound Card)

These things can be a problem.  Integrated video and sound are almost
always difficult, and the video is usually low-quality.  What is the exact
make and model of the video card and the sound card as reported by "cat
/proc/pci"?  Linux has problems with certain cheap video cards, especially
the S3 and Trident ones.

>login:
>Password :
>what I should type after I key in my login and password?

If X didn't get set up/isn't working and you don't know anything about
Unix, then you might as well sit down with the printed version of the
RedHat manual and read it.  Especially the section about configuring
X.  "Xconfigurator" might be a good start.  Or possibly "info info", or do
a Google search for "Unix tutorial".

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and SCO
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:47:51 GMT

In comp.unix.sco.misc Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <iDgO4.18959$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.misc Warren Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> This is because most Linuxes to date have reversed the traditional
>>> mapping of Delete and Backspace: instead of Ctrl-H, Backspace is usually
>>> configured to send ASCII 127, which SCO systems interpret the same way
>>> as Linux interprets Ctrl-C.
>>
>>ASCII backspace is control/H, aka BS (127 is DEL).

> This is an old, and totally bogus argument.

not an argument (take it as you wish), but a statement of fact.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ne2000 with RedHat 6.1
Date: 02 May 2000 08:49:15 EDT

On Tue, 02 May 2000 10:17:46 GMT, The Dude
<<8em9vv$in4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> Hi,
>I want to set up ne2000 NIC with my linx redhat 6.1.
>The card as you all know is an ISA and NOT a PCI.
>for some reason the installation did not recognized it.

...no wonder; ISA cards don't have a reliable way to tell the system,
"Here I am, these are my settings."

>what kernel module should I try and use?
>how do I set it up or coz linux to recognize it?
>the card is fine an did work on a different machine without any special
>configuration.

In the file /etc/conf.modules, enter the following lines:

alias eth0 ne
  options ne irq=X io=Y

Replace X with the IRQ the card uses in DOS.  Replace Y with the start
of the I/O range the card uses in DOS.  (If the card uses 0x320-0x330,
you'd say io=0x320.)  Make sure that there's only one line in the file
that has "alias eth0" in it.  After doing this, any attempt to access a
network interface will cause the ne module to be loaded with the
parameters you specified, and the card should work.  HTH,

From: Kevin White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Uptime monitoring utility
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:48:16 -0400

Running 'top' in an xterm window or in the background will provide
machine uptime, but for processes it only provides total processor time
used.

--

Kevin White
Remove anti-spam center segment from domain

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1371?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:40:53 +0000

Janet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Soundblaster card which cat /proc/pci says has an es1371
> chipset.  I am able to load the es1371 kernel module fine, but no sound
> comes out.  When I run xmms, it looks like it's playing about 50 times as
> fast as it should be, but there's still no sound.  I can't get sound from
> the CD player either, which is sort of weird.  Both the soundcard and the
> cd player work fine under windows though.  Any ideas?

Which distribution? If you have Suse Linux then take a look at my
homepage where you'll find detailed instructions...

PM
--

Sylt, SuSE Linux, Maerklin mini-club, Psion Serie 5mx Pro & GPS:

http://www.philipp-maier.de

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:57:12 GMT

In comp.unix.sco.misc arch harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First I see no reason to have a PC keybaord emulate a vt100 or vt220
> keyboard.  Far more users have used a PC keyboard in connection
> with using Windows then have used a vt100 keyboard.
> A PC keyboard has far greater capability than a vt220, lets use it.
> For those who need vt220 or vt100 emulation, let them use
> an emulator (or do the required reconfiguration).

I agree with this (which is why I made xterm support the two styles - PC
and vt220 keyboard).  Though I usually find the latter is more useful...

> It strikes me as being far more intuitive to have the key labeled BACKSPACE
> send a BACKSPACE ascii character.  If I want that key to result in
> the "erase char" function, then (if it is not already the default)
> I configure the system to map BACKSPACE to ERASE. This especially
> seems to make more sense when the system is running in "raw" rather
> than cooked mode.

All of my keyboards (I suppose it depends on where you buy equipment)
just have a "<-" label rather than "backspace" (I suppose it would
be unreasonable for me to have it transmit "<esc>[B " ;-)

-- but actually, the whole issue about BS vs DEL came about historically
   based on which terminals were inexpensive around 1980.

From: Deden Purnamahadi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot kill a process
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 19:55:25 +0800

How to prevent the same problem in the future ? upgrade the kernel (??)

muchas gracias

ddn

--
ddn

------------------------------

From: Mike Pepera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:52:12 GMT

You have found yourself at the command line of Linux! You can either
start using the computer from the command line, or you can start the
GUI.

To start the GUI:

If you have not already configured the X-Windows settings:

type su <enter>
type in the password for root<enter>
type: XConfigurator<enter>

after you finish

type exit <enter>
type startx

if you have already configured your video settings:

type startx <enter>

Mike Pepera

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  ary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a Linux newbie, and am trying to install Redhat 6.1. I have to
setup
> this o/s in diffrent system which some of the motherboard is bulid in
and
> not.I'm having problem were the o/s did'nt boot up normally with the
system
> using build In( Video Display & sound Card) .At the moment the error
> massage appear during the X configuration setup.Currently I'm using
> grapical login during X configuration setup.I don't know wheter the
RH 6.1
> can run on build In system. After the setup completed and reboot.This
> massage appear for the 1st time login.
>
> Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
> Kernel 2.2..12 -20 on an i686
>
> localhost login login :
> Password :
> last login Tue May 1 14:47:16 on tty1
> [ary@localhost ary]$
>
> what I should type after I key in my login and password?So far I'm
having
> problem with this login and where I can find the right way to setup
RH 6.1.

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:00:22 GMT

In comp.unix.sco.misc Bill Vermillion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since I don't have any Linux systems running here at the moment -
> let me ask this.   Does the Linux implementation accuratly
> emulate the VT100 - where the <-- key is ^? and shift <--
> is ^H.

I'm not at home either: I recall this as control/backarrow though,
rather than shift/backarrow.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Bob Taylor")
Subject: Re: How can I tell Linux-Intel from Linux-Alpha
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 04:50:33 -0700

In article <8eld1e$hh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> How about 'file /usr/bin/ldd'?
>
> --J
>
> In comp.os.linux.misc U.V. Ravindra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>: Okay, here's my problem:  I want to write a script to tell
>: Linux Intel from Linux Alpha, but that's not all I want to do.
>: I want the script to be able to detect whether the kernel is
>: a 32-bit beast or a 64-bit animal.  The first part of the
>: task is achieved by looking at the output of 'uname -a'.
>
>: Is there a simple command/way to get at the second?

Not hardly since, at least on Red Hat, ldd is a shell script. You
might try "file /lib/ld-*.so" instead.

| Bob Taylor             Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.      |

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:16:52 +0100
From: Martin Hepworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Peet Grobler wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> I'm in need of the following utilities (open-source preferred), but it must
> be freely available.
>
> I need a uptime monitor, for monitoring machine uptime, or, actually
> preferred network device (e.g. eth0) uptime. Or network programs, e.g. inetd
> or rpc.portmap uptime.
>
> Any such thing available?
>
> Oh yeah, running custom-built Linux.

Hi
how about big-brother (http://maclawran.ca/bb-dnld/) ?

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: Connecting to Internet over Cable Modem
Date: 2 May 2000 13:13:13 GMT

Sorry for even bringing up anything so basic, but in your
description you don't mention anything about having
ip masquerading or ip forwarding enabled, which is what
you'll need to get going in order to start routing
packets between your internal network and the internet.

If the issue is in fact that you haven't set up
masquerading yet, then check your Red Hat docs --there
may be a simplified system administration tool to help
you set it up (I don't use RH myself, so I don't know how
much help they give you with these sorts of things). There
is also a nearly comprehensible how-to easily available
from our good friends at linux.org:

 http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

Cheers,

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chat d'Goutière)
Subject: tty_io.c used obsolete /dev/cua1...
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 00:15:08 GMT

RedHat 6.0
Trying to connect to my ISP.
I have no graphic environment.
When I execute pppd, the connection goes only so far
and then I get disconnected AND the root session closes
on me.

The log file mentions this :
tty_io.c : used obsolete /dev/cua1 - update software to use /dev/ttyS1

Of course, since the modem dials out and gets to talk
to my ISP's RAS server, my com port has to be configured
right. But this error message makes me wonder.

I also get the same message when I use setserial on cua1.

Maybe the error message from the /var/log/messages
file has nothing to do with me losing the connection
and terminating the Linux session.

But if it did, I guess I need to update something here.
What? From where? How? are my questions.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas will be welcome.

Thanks.
Chat d'Goutière

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Strock)
Subject: Newbie LILO question
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:53:19 GMT

I've got three partitions on my drive.  Win2k, swap and my Linux install (which
boots from /hda5).

I'm running default Redhat 6.  Lilo works great to start either Linux or Win2k.
 What I'd like to do is to boot my experiment kernel that I compiled (2.3.51),
which is in my /boot directory as mylinuz-newkernel .

I can change the linux-2.2.5-15 in lilo.conf, which then boots the 2.3.51
kernel, but I want to be able to switch back and forth between them (having
some problems getting my network cards working).

So, I'd like to be able to boot either /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 or
/boot/vmlinuz-newkernel from the same /hda5 partition.

Is this possible with Lilo?  How?  Everytime I tried and add it as an
'other',lilo  gives me an error when I run lilo after editing lilo.conf.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Email replies appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Mike Strock

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:08:41 -0400
From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial port/modem port

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Mon, 01 May 2000 14:49:03 -0400, Art S. Kagel
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >I recently installed RH6.2 over RH5.2 and cannot access the internal modem
> >on the box.  It used to be /dev/cua2 (COM3 in DOS/WinDoze) now the OS wants
> >to link /dev/modem to one of the new S devices but none of them work nor do
> >the old cua devices.  I will call RH when and if I get some time but thought
> >I am as likely to get help from someone here.  Please save me from having to
> >boot to Win98 to get my email at home.  Any takers?
>
> COM3 is ttyS2.
>
> Read the man page for "setserial" and see if you can get useful info from
> that.  I assume the modem was working correctly in RH 5.2; how did you set
> it up then?  However you did it before, I'll bet a similar procedure would
> work this time...

Thanks.  The modem worked fine in RH5.2 and also in WinDoze3.1 and 98
after the installation I ran the RH admin tool to see if there were any
new config options I could take advantage of and noticed the new port
scheme and selected ttyS2 but zilch.  I just booted to WinDoze last night
and checked the modem setup and saw that I moved the modem to COM4 at some
point and have forgotten (he sheepishly admits).  I did try to link /dev/modem
to /dev/ttyS3 manually with no luck but maybe I have to use
setserial or use the admin tool.  I will try configuring to ttyS3 when I
can wrest the machine from my kids again.  Thanks for replying.

Art S. Kagel