From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Colormap
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:28:39 +0200

Typing xwininfo in an x-term gives a list of parameters. One of them is
called Colormap and is in Corel Linux set to 0x23. In Red Het it
defaults
to 0x21. Where and how does one change the Colormap value?

Regards,
Svein-Erik Hamran

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: From Linux BACK to Win 98SE
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:44:36 -0400

"Jeff W." wrote:

> I currently have Corel Linux OS on my laptop and I just don't like the way
> it works, I've had monitor problems, and a whole mess of things. I want to
> take it off completely and reinstall Win 98SE. Now, I have Win 2000 on my
> terminal and I don't know what kind of startup disk I'll need. Are there
> any suggestions on how to go back to 98 on the laptop??  Thanks in advance.

I think you need to be asking in a windoze NG.  We do linux here, in
case you didn't notice.  You didn't ask in a windoze NG how to get rid
of windoze to install linux, did you?

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: where does filesize get set?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:45:22 -0400

Shawn Beckwith wrote:

> Could this be a Kernel setting?  What is your OS?

It *is* a kernel settings, and his OS should be linux, considering
that's where ther query was sent.

------------------------------

From: Sankalp Upadhyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: uname query
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 06:36:22 GMT

Hi,

Can anyone tell the sources from which uname gets its info. On my
machine (i686, Linux-2.2) uname -p gives unknown and is causing
portability problems. Here is complete uname -a output
Linux linux2.prologix 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 23:00:46 EDT 1999 i686
unknown

Thanks in advance,
Sankalp Upadhyay.

--
Under Graduate Student
Computer Science & Engineering Department

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nobody)
Subject: Re: Need solid facts: Why Linux over NT
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 07:08:57 GMT

>>>I need to put together a presentation to convince management to use
>>>Linux rather than NT. To do this properly and succeed, I need solid
>>>facts and figures on why Linux is the better OS. Any help or pointers to
>>>URL's that cover this topic would be well appreciated!

Our office runs three NT servers- one as the Internet gateway, one as
a file and domain server, the other as an Exchange server.

We are already in discussions about dumping one or all for Linux.  The
exchange server is probably here to stay - too many benefits for the
sales reps and contact management.

The domain server _could_ be replaced with Linux, but Samba still
won't handle domain logins for NT or 2000 machines.  We REALLY wish we
could do that today.  Managing our huge fileserver is quite a task in
NT 4.

The Internet gateway / proxy / nat probably WILL be replaced with
Linux by the end of the year.  We have such a bottleneck with the
Microsoft Proxy program that our 128k line produces about a 3k
download rate during the day on a 20 user LAN.  Sux.  We have three
computers that bypass the proxy and are connected directly to the
router, and all three get blinding speeds while the rest of the LAN
crawls.  We've run some tests of throughput on a Linux box and found
we could actually replace it with a Pentium I machine with 128MB of
RAM and get four times the performance of the Pentium III machine it's
running on - estimated.

And, now that I've compiled, installed and configured Linux 2.3.99
PRE6 on my gateway / server at home, they feel confident that we have
the technical expertise to handle it.  What am I getting myself into?
<LOL>

Oh, but my favorite is a Linux banner ad I once saw...

Q: How many NT admins does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 100,000
1 to change the lightbulb, and 99,999 to reboot the power plant.

Make any changes to an NT server and you page the entire office to
tell them it's going down for reboot, get out.  Make changes in Linux,
and nobody even knows it.  No reboot necessary.  Try making a TCP/IP
setting change in NT 4 and see what happens...

------------------------------

From: "Vincenzo Tibullo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Where is stddef.h?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:07:49 +0200

In my RedHat 6.0 it is located in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include,
and this directory is looked up by the compiler
automatically, so you don't have to put -I/usr/.../include
in your CFLAGS.

The man page for gcc says:

  /usr/include    standard directory for #include files
  LIBDIR/include  standard gcc directory for #include files

Bye.

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't export PATH from shell script
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:18:58 +0200

Please help
Why I can't set PATH from the shell script:

#!/bin/bash
PATH=$PATH:/home/bafi
export PATH
echo $PATH

Script work because echo was executed and PATH was done, but after
script execution PATH is old, like before execution.  Whats the problem?

I can do this only directly from command prompt. And its working.
Script have all needed rights, done by chmod 755 (chmod 777)
<file_name>, I am logged as a root.

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is the kernel source?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:15:55 +0200

Hi,
it seems the kernel sources are not installed.
This is what I have in /usr/src/linux :

COPYING        MAINTAINERS  REPORTING-BUGS  drivers  init    lib
net
CREDITS        Makefile     Rules.make      fs       ipc     mm
scripts
Documentation  README       arch            include  kernel  modules

Tom

--
=========================
Thomas Hommel

------------------------------

From: Svend Garnaes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba writing problem!
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:19:02 +0200

Mark wrote:

> Hi,
> I set below lines in the share part of smb.conf:
>
> [myshare]
> available = yes
> path = /home
> public = yes
> guest only = no
> create mode = 755
> read only = no
> writeable = yes
> write ok = yes
> browseable = yes
> only user = no
>
> I can browse the /home in Win98, but I can't write on it, why?

You probably want create mode = 766 instead.

HTH
--
Svend

------------------------------

From: "ChemSoft GmbH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.samba
Subject: file splitting for cdr backup
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:29:21 +0200

hi all,

i try to backup an 10GB harddisk to cdr. now i´m looking for a way to make
first a backup with tar to get a big tar-file. then i want to split this big
file into several 650MB parts to make isos and burn it onto cdrs.
is this possible? i think i only need an file-splitter?
or is there a better way to make backup on cdr.
i want to use this way cause of letting do all except the burn process
automatically.

thanks for all help

Tobias

------------------------------

From: "Nobody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: calgary.general,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: recommendation for Dynamic DNS service?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:30:43 +1000

<$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:rZ5S4.7452$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm looking for dynamic DNS service, and looking to do it on the cheap.
>
> I want to use  MY OWN domain name, ie "danswan.com", not a subdomain like
> "danswan.dyndns.com".
>
> Recommendations anyone?

Go register one first. Try www.myinternet.com. It is free.

Unfortunately you may not be able to get a sensible domain name
nowadays when over half of those are on auction at greatdomains or
ebay.

No more three letters xyz.com left! I did check b2b.com was available and
was thinking whether to get it and the next day it was gone!

You are still in luck still. PSSST!!!
===================8<==========================
danswan.com

Whois Server Version 1.1

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

No match for "DANSWAN.COM".

>>> Last update of whois database: Tue, 9 May 00 04:36:57 EDT <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba password problem
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:34:50 +0200

I have problem with Samba. I could not change password. When I try it by

smbpasswd
I geting answer:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was:
ERRSRV -ERR badpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect
or Session Setup are invalid).

What is the problem?

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Pierre Vigneras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SCSI devices and SMP kernels
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:43:34 +0200

==============57CE7E2816B42A611DF1E1C7

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Henrique Seganfredo wrote:
> > >
> > > Anybody here knows about the behaviour of SMP kernels with SCSI drivers?
> > >
> > > I am trying to set up a right out of the box RPM package with a SMP
> > > kernel (the same version non SMP is already running)...when I boot, I
> > > get "kernel panic" cause the root fs (on sda1) could not be mounted due
> > > a problem loading the aic7xxx.o module....no, its not a version issue or
> > > something like that....
> > >
> > > ...some dudes told me that I can't use some SCSI drivers with SMP
> > > kernels...is that a fact?
> > >
> > you can't have scsi support as a module if you want to boot from a scsi
> > disc
> > it must be compiled into your kernel
>
> this is not quite true.  you can put the scsi module on an initial
> ramdisk (initrd).  this is what most distributions do because
> compiling every possible scsi driver into their kernel would be a bit
> much.
>
> however, i agree that it is a damned good recommendation.  if you can
> compile yourself a kernel, by all means build the scsi driver into it.

That's what i did, but i got a
"kernel panic" too : "unable to mount on /dev/sda2".

I did compile the scsi drive into the kernel.
And moreover, i have :

[root@moucheron /boot]# rdev vmlinuz-2.2.14smp
Root device /dev/sda2
[root@moucheron /boot]#

which is the current root device :

[root@moucheron /boot]# rdev
/dev/sda2 /
[root@moucheron /boot]#

Running lilo show :

[root@moucheron /boot]# lilo -v
LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20smp
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.2.12-20smp.img
Added linux *
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
Added linux-up
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14smp
Added new
/boot/boot.0800 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.
[root@moucheron /boot]#

But booting my new kernel is always a kernel panic !
i don't understand why !
I suppose the redhat ramdisk as set a strange /boot/map:

[root@moucheron /boot]# ls -al
total 10781
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 May 10 09:33 .
drwxr-xr-x  24 root     root         1024 Mar  2 15:19 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Feb 11 18:19 System.map ->
System.map 2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       191102 Sep 27  1999
System.map-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       182834 Sep 27  1999
System.map-2.2.12-20BOOT
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       202226 Sep 27  1999
System.map-2.2.12-20smp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          512 Jul  9  1999 boot.0800
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4568 May  5 11:47 boot.b
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          612 Sep 22  1999 chain.b
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       313673 Feb 11 18:26
initrd-2.2.12-20.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       314036 Feb 11 18:26
initrd-2.2.12-20smp.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       308009 Jul  9  1999
initrd-2.2.5-15.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       308488 Jul  9  1999
initrd-2.2.5-15smp.img
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           22 Jul 31  1999
initrd-2.2.5-22smp.img -  initrd-2.2.5-15smp.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       695162 Jul 31  1999
kernel-2.2.5-22smp.my
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          237 May  5 12:18 kernel.h
-rw-------   1 root     root        30720 May 10 09:33 map
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           21 Feb 11 18:19 module-info ->
module-in o-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        11773 Sep 27  1999
module-info-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        11773 Sep 27  1999
module-info-2.2.12-20smp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          620 Sep 22  1999 os2_d.b
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1544394 Sep 27  1999 vmlinux-2.2.12-20
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1469971 Sep 27  1999
vmlinux-2.2.12-20BOOT
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1647660 Sep 27  1999
vmlinux-2.2.12-20smp
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb 11 18:19 vmlinuz ->
vmlinuz-2.2.1 -20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       622784 Sep 27  1999 vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       592397 Sep 27  1999
vmlinuz-2.2.12-20BOOT
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       647807 Sep 27  1999
vmlinuz-2.2.12-20smp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       453234 May  5 09:29 vmlinuz-2.2.14smp
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       709302 Jul 23  1999
vmlinuz-2.2.5-15smp.new
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       695161 Aug  6  1999
vmlinuz-2.2.5-22smp.new
[root@moucheron /boot]#

Can i remove some of this files (System.map*) ?? What are their use (i
know ps use it, for its WCHAN field, but is there another use ??) ? What
are module-info* files ? Can i remove some of this files ?

Here my /etc/lilo.conf :

[root@moucheron /boot]# cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20smp
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux-up
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda2

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14smp
        label=new
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda2
        vga=ask

[root@moucheron /boot]#

My new kernel is /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14smp (which i can't boot like
describe above).

--
Pierre Vignéras
http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~vigneras/

Equipe systèmes et objets distribués
http://jccf.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/jodo/

LaBRI
http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/
==============57CE7E2816B42A611DF1E1C7

begin:vcard
n:Vignéras;Pierre
tel;cell:06.81.50.55.51
tel;work:05.56.84.24.87
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://dept-info.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/~vigneras/
org:LaBRI;Computer Science
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Student
adr;quoted-printable:;;R=E9sidence les pierres du
campus=0D=0AA/26;Gradignan;;33170;France
note;quoted-printable:<A
href=3D"http://jccf.labri.u-bordeaux.fr/jodo/">=0D=0ADistributed Systems and Objects
team</A>=0D=0A=0D=0A=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;-32672
fn:Pierre Vignéras
end:vcard

From: Robert O'Brien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't export PATH from shell script
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:57:39 +0100

I presume you're running the script like
$ ./my_set_path.sh
Try
$ . ./my_set_path.sh
or
$ source ./my_set_path.sh

The first method causes a new process to be started.  This will die and as a
result, the environment including PATH will cease to be.
The other methods run the scripts as part of this process.
HTH
-rob-