Linux-Misc Digest #570, Volume #24               Tue, 23 May 00 13:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: unidentified error in Samba logs ... (Apple Advertising)
  Re: suse 6.2 /ftp/apache and reboots (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Trouble with the Korn Shell (Martin Doering)
  Re: getting "device busy" with cdrom ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Slackware or Debian (Scott Bishop)
  Re: How to find path to a shared module ("Jeff Ostrin")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (John Hasler)
  Re: Slackware or Debian (John Hasler)
  Linux auto login, read only (Ryan Korzyniowski)
  Re: Motif release to Open Source Community leads to Open Motif Everywhere (Jay
Maynard)
  Good email client for Gnome. ("Jaime B. Zamora S.")
  Re: PDF files ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem:  "playmidi: No playback device found" (Minko Markov)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Motif release to Open Source Community leads to Open Motif Everywhere (Michael
Kelly)
  kernel not using memory ("Brian D. Jones")
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Leslie Mikesell)
  UIDL for pop3 servers under linux (Uwe Brauer)
  anybody from thane or mumbai, please help!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Windows by Day, Linux by Night  (Simone Paddock)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (JEDIDIAH)
  How much ram does seti need to run (Julian)
  Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night  (Robert Hampf)
  tar'ing only a directory (Matt)
  Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night (Simone Paddock)
  Re: LILO 1024 cyl thing (Sven Utcke)
  Re: Napster to Linux ! (=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E5NdRew?= yEonG)

From: Apple Advertising <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unidentified error in Samba logs ...
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:25:10 -0500

Here's a copy of my smb.conf file. There looks to be a few areas that you
should check. Plus - do you have Win98 setup to use plain-text passwords? If
not, then you have to make sure that your /etc/passwd is synced with the
file used for windows passwords.

Here's the info for plain text password - save this line in a file called
"plainpass.reg", then execute by double-clicking. (make sure it's all one
line and not split)

plainpass.reg:
REGEDIT4  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

(I've deleted the stuff that I don't use to save bandwidth)
Watch the setting for domain controller, domain logins, remote announce;
they have to deal with accessing an NT server, not for windows networking.

smb.conf:
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

   netbios name = <host name of linux server without domain>

   workgroup = <your workgroup name assigned to the windows networking>

   server string = Dell OptiPlex BXMT 5200 TurboLinux Workstation 4.0

   hosts deny = ALL
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = yes

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[netshare]
   path = /home/shared
   public = yes
   only guest = no
   writable = yes

[webserver]
   path = /www
   public = no
   writable = yes

[linuxdocs]
   path=/usr/doc
   public = yes
   writable = no

[netcd]
   path=/cdrom
   public=yes
   writeable=no
   browseable=yes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: suse 6.2 /ftp/apache and reboots
Date: 23 May 2000 10:26:11 EDT

On Tue, 23 May 2000 13:49:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<8ge28d$f8r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I'm running suse 6.2 wuftp and apache.... When ever I ftp a large file
>to the server it reboots. I have ftp'd to suse's updates pages and
>updated wuftp and proftp. However when ever I use a ftp client
>(bulletproof or Ws) The Dirs show up as files and not dirs. But the
>server is still rebooting. Any Ideas?

Your machine should not spontaneously reboot, unless there's a power
failure.  If you can make the server reboot itself via methods other than
"shutdown -r" or Ctrl-Alt-Del from the server's console, you've got a big
problem that's more than likely hardware-related.  More information on the
hardware would be very useful (motherboard, power supply, processor,
number of drives, etc.)

If this problem shows up when you do a lot of disk I/O (FTPing a large
file can do this) then your power supply may be flaky or the power cords
may not be connected securely.  If your power supply is smaller than about
150W, it's not big enough for any PC that's being used as a server.  If
you bought an "economy" machine, the motherboard is probably crap and you
will get weird errors no matter what you do to the software.

Until you fix this, the problem of directories showing up as files to the
client is pretty minor....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Doering)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Trouble with the Korn Shell
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:23:53 GMT

You can do all the thing you did in the ksh before with the bash.

If you like to use other keybindings, than the standard ones, I'm
shure you can configure this - if this is, why you want it.

If you just want a smaller shell, use ash.

Martin Doering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: getting "device busy" with cdrom
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:50:13 GMT

Yes, this will happen if you (or somebody else) is in the directory
where the cd is mounted when you try to unmount it.   First, make sure
you are not in the mountpoint.  Second, try using fuser to determine
what user is in the directory mountpoint.  Kick them out and retry.
Sam

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "john mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade my Redhat 5.2 system to the latest
distribution. I

From: Scott Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware or Debian
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:07:36 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Why? If I want something, I grep for it in Contentsi386 with
> grep foo Content..., then get the package with "apt-get foo", which
> automatically gets and installs all pre-requirements.

Well, I didn't know about this.  Like I said, the documentation didn't
help me too much. :)

> You're not even using the installer by the sound of things! Are you
> maybe talking about dselect instead? Dselect is an unmitigated pain
> in the eyes that should be taken and shot .. never used it myself.

You're probably right.  By the time all was said and done, I was ready
to throw the Debian disks against the nearest wall, and was too
frustrated to know the difference between dselect, apt-get, and a .deb
file. :)  What I might do is try and make the next office workstation a
Debian machine and see how it works out, but like I said earlier, I'm in
no particular hurry to get Debian installed on my home workstation,
seeing as it's running to my complete satisfaction with Slackware 7.0.

Jyst my $.02...

--
--Scott Bishop
WALKER BOLT Manufacturing Co.

(Notice: The opinions stated in this message are not necessarily those
of my employer, nor of any other sane individual for that matter.)

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Ostrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,linux.dev.c-programming
Subject: Re: How to find path to a shared module
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:30:25 -0700

Ah...  another module that has well defined path's is opening the module
that I am writing, and it does not provide me with the information about
where my module is located :(

news:8gbca9$203$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:17:35 GMT

Rich Steiner writes:
> The current system seems to work well.

How do you know?  How many useful bug reports are not being filed?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:24:23 GMT

Johan Kullstam writes:
> no matter what distribution i am running, i find that i build up a layer
> of cruft which needs cleaning out every so often.

Obviously, you need Debian's 'cruft' package:

 cruft is a program to look over your system for anything that shouldn't

 be there, but is; or for anything that should be there, but isn't.

 It bases most of its results on dpkg's database, as well as a list of

 `extra files' that can appear during the lifetime of various packages.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ryan Korzyniowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux auto login, read only
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:30:06 GMT

I am trying to get Linux to automatically log me in as root and mount my
hard drive as read only when I boot.  What's necessary to do this?

Ryan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Motif release to Open Source Community leads to Open Motif Everywhere
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:37:30 GMT

On Mon, 22 May 2000 17:56:42 +0100, phil hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>When's Monterrey's scheduled release date, and what platforms will it
>run on?

I don't know when it's scheduled to be released. It's being developed for
the Itanium.

------------------------------

From: "Jaime B. Zamora S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.madrake
Subject: Good email client for Gnome.
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:46:27 -0400

Hi, im after a good email client that support multiple accounts, multiple
identities and read newsgroup.

There is an app that can do that?

TIA

--
Jaime B. Zamora S.
09 4296556

------------------------------

Subject: Re: PDF files
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:44:49 GMT

Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Adobe Acrobat runs under Linux as well and is free.  It reads them.  Not
> sure what you would use to update them though, presumably something from
> Adobe that costs money.

        More accurately, Adobe Acrobat Reader is free. Adobe Acrobat is the
program that creates PDF files and is not free. Though I believe that there
are programs that convert ps files to pdf files.

--
Da Katt
[This space for rent]

------------------------------

Subject: Problem:  "playmidi: No playback device found"
From: Minko Markov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 15:52:39 GMT

Hi,

I have RedHat 6.0, SoundBlaster 16 on ISA.  With the 2.2.5 kernel
I had no problems with midi. I upgraded to 2.2.15, and midi
capabilities vanished.  playmidi exits with the message
in the subject line. Apart from that, I have no problems
with sound, mp3's, mpg's, real audio, wav are fine.

There are quite a lot of kernel sound options that were
enabled in the source of the old 2.2.5 kernel, as provided
by RedHat.  Surely, I can try all of them in 2.2.15, but that
will be very time-consuming. Can someone tell me what option(s)
should be enabled in the kervel config, in order to get midi
support back?

There is only one option that looks relevant to midi,
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m.  I have that one in 2.2.15.
Obviously, it is not sufficient.

Thanks in advance,
Minko

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 23 May 2000 10:58:16 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>' >For myself, if I am going to produce free software, I want it to be
>' >GPL.  I don't want my work to be used in proprietary software unless I
>' >get paid for it.
>'
>' This doesn't make a bit of sense from a user's perspective.  You
>' are saying that I can use the code only as long as it isn't linked
>' to something else that I might happen to need that is under
>' someone else's control.  I don't think the internet would exist
>' as we know it today had it not been for the reference BSD code
>' that does allow use in proprietary works as well as additional
>' free ones.
>
>It makes no difference to an end user what the source license is.

It does make a difference when it makes it impossible to use.

>The Regents of University of California, Berkley choose their
>license.  I get to choose mine.

I'm not arguing about your right to do whatever you want, I
am just saying that I don't understand what motivates you
to create a situation where I can download code, have it
on my machine and use it in any way I want, but only in
cases where I can do the linking myself.  If another needed
component is controlled by someone else with an equal
right to choose their license, I won't be able to obtain
and use the combination together.

>If you want something that makes no sense, go to an NT box and look at
>the file \\WINNT\System32\etc\SERVICES.  You will see a document from
>IANA that Microsoft has slapped their copyright on.  They didn't
>change a single character in the file.  Tell me that makes sense.

Lots of people make unenforcable claims but I don't want to take
that approach with the GPL.  It is just that sanity I question.
Unless there really is a case for keeping it from competing
with commercial licensing of the same code (like ghostscript),
why give something away with strings attached that prohibit
a lot of uses?

  Les Mikesell

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:53:45 -0400

On Mon, 22 May 2000 17:56:42 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil
hunt) wrote:

I didn't see any press release or news item for the subject line.
Anyone have a link to one?

[I'm searching AltaVista and other sites but no germane hits yet]

TIA

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: "Brian D. Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel not using memory
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:07:23 -0400

I recently bought 64megs of additional ram to put next to the factory
installed 64 on my gateway celeron 400.  the boot messages indicate that
it's finding all 128megs of ram, but typing "free" shows that the kernel
is only using 64meg.  I've tried swapping the dimms and recompiling the
kernel (2.2.14, with maximum memory 1GB), but can't get the memory to
work.  I'm fairly certain that the chip works, but I don't know what else
to try.  any advice?

thanks, and please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 23 May 2000 11:03:23 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Then again, InstallSheild, possibly the best installer in Windows
>land, is even worse.  Go figure.
>
>Do people really have trouble with ./configure, make, make install?
>It has _never_ been a problem for me.  Maybe I am just lucky.  Even
>though I changed my compiler, libc, and libtools.

Given a thousand packages, how long does it take you to be sure
you have the latest version of each installed using this
technique?  How long does it take to figure out what is missing
when the linker can't resolve a symbol?

  Les Mikesell

From: Uwe Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UIDL for pop3 servers under linux
Date: 23 May 2000 17:27:48 +0000

Hello

Does anybody know about a mail tool under Linux, which
deals well with the UIDL feature for pop3 or imap servers.

Emacs VM, fetchmail, fetchpop and kmail either flush the messages or
keep them and then again receive them, which is not what UIDL should
do. Why on the other hand does Netscape deal well with those severs?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: anybody from thane or mumbai, please help!!!!
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:08:10 GMT

hi,
  is there anybody from thane or mumbai? if yes, can you please tell me
from
where can i get linux "cheap cds". i tried at GT enterprise[thane
branch]
but those people are not giving saying that they don't have cheap
ds[ though their website says so].
i'm searching for mandrake 7.0 [as i'm very new to linux & it comes with
"diskdrake" to partition my win98SE loaded hard disk].
thank you in advance!!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simone Paddock)
Subject: Windows by Day, Linux by Night
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:22:49 GMT

For whatever reason, a great many Linux and UNIX
users spend a lot more time working with Windows
than they might like, or like to admit.

As Tim O'Reilly says in "Windows by Day, Linux by Night ":
"...because we don't admit to our use of Windows, because
it's a guilty secret, we don't spend the kind of time learning
how to get the most out of the system. We do what we have
to, and then go home, to where we feel more comfortable.
That changed for me a year and a half ago."

Find out why and how at:
http://windows.oreilly.com/news/byday_0500.html

The first 1000 people who read Tim's article get a free book.
Simone Paddock
O'Reilly & Associates
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.oreilly.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:24:42 GMT

On 23 May 2000 11:03:23 -0500, Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>David Steuber  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Then again, InstallSheild, possibly the best installer in Windows
>>land, is even worse.  Go figure.
>>
>>Do people really have trouble with ./configure, make, make install?
>>It has _never_ been a problem for me.  Maybe I am just lucky.  Even
>>though I changed my compiler, libc, and libtools.
>
>Given a thousand packages, how long does it take you to be sure
>you have the latest version of each installed using this
>technique?  How long does it take to figure out what is missing
>when the linker can't resolve a symbol?

        Typically the configure script should tell you. That's what
        it's there for. All a binary package buys you is the ability
        to easily force install a whole bunch of stuff at once. In
        the case of RPM, one is specifically abusing the tool in order
        to get it to work in a more convenient fashion.

--

    In what language does 'open' mean 'execute the evil contents of'    |||
    a document?      --Les Mikesell                                    / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

------------------------------

From: Julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How much ram does seti need to run
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:30:07 GMT

how much ram does seti need to run on Linux?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hampf)
Subject: Re: Windows by Day, Linux by Night
Date: 23 May 2000 19:32:01 +0200

Simone Paddock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hélt þessu fram:
:
: The first 1000 people who read Tim's article get a free book.

Has O'Reilly & Associates started spamming or did somebody forget to
logout.

rh

------------------------------

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tar'ing only a directory
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:38:51 +0100

Hi

I need to tar a directory and not its sub directories.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simone Paddock)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:47:55 GMT

On 23 May 2000 19:32:01 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Robert Hampf) wrote:

>Simone Paddock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hélt þessu fram:
>:
>: The first 1000 people who read Tim's article get a free book.
>
>Has O'Reilly & Associates started spamming or did somebody forget to
>logout.

Nope, we certainly don't  intend to spam. Au contraire, the article in
itself is almost a must-read for anybody working with Linux - and
the free book supprts exactly what the article is talking about.

Sorry if you felt spammed. :-)

Simone

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: LILO 1024 cyl thing
Date: 23 May 2000 18:54:26 +0200

Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Also, I am trying desperately to get a CD created from an ISO image. I
> have Sony CD-Write and Nero at my disposal, but they seem to just copy
> the file to the disk.

If that is what you told them to do, yes.

> I want the .ISO file "expanded" so it has all
> files and directories on it. How would I go about doing that?

There should be an option / menu entry / seperate program / whatever
which is probably named binary-something or raw-something or
somesuch.  You need to use / enable this when writing your CD.
Otherwise, how is your burner supposed to know that you do _not_ want
to write the file as is?  You need to find a way to tell it that you
do not want to write a file, but rather a number of raw bytes
contained within that file.

Hope this helps some --- I use different programms...

Sven
--
 _    _  _____           Artificial Intelligence Unit
|____|_|\_\___| fax  :      +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D-22527 Hamburg
          http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 04:39:09 +0800
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E5NdRew?= yEonG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Napster to Linux !

Try to convince the author of Napster to give you the source codes...so
that you can port it to Linux and...make some improvement to it like
supporting more file formats....

then more students will use Linux .

--

   .~.   Live free or die !