From: Zerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question about KDE2
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:21:22 GMT

David Liana wrote:

> I just bought Red Hat 7.0 and would like to upgrade to KDE 2.0.1.  I
> downloaded all the files from their ftp server for it...  Just have a
> few questions:
>
> 1.  It complains about dependencies..  how do i fix?
Find the dependencies that the program needs and install them. Most can be
found as RPM's on red hats site

> 2.  I force the install, and some of the menu icons are bigger than the
> others.  How do i fix it?

probably because of the missing dependencies, once you install the proper
programs that should fix it

> 3.  KDE is the default desktop on my system.  How do i fix the login
> screen because it looks messed up?  (some of the graphics arent there)
again if you install the proper dependencies it should fix it

> Dave

P.S. Or you could just upgrade to the latest version of Red Hat or
mandrake, kde 2 is installed by default in each one.

------------------------------

From: Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can you install Corel 2 over Mandrake 7.2 ?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:02:53 GMT

Dan wrote:

> You most certainly need to remove your old distro before adding a new one,
> otherwise you'll have all sorts of problems with multiple config files, etc.
> I have to question moving from Mandrake to Corel. I'd be suggesting moving
> the other way, especially since Corel just bailed out of Linux.

> "Don Hinds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > I've installed MAndrake 7.2 but so far cannot get it to work with my AMD
> > K6 3D processor (shares video RAM with the system).

This doesn't sound like a "distribution dependent" problem... they all
basically
use the same kernel (although precooked configurations may vary).

In general, you don't have to "remove" an old distribution, because the
installer
of the new distribution will remake (read "reformat") the root
filesystem, thus
removing the old for you.  (Some installers do have an option to skip
the formatting
operation... bad idea.)

On the other hand, I seem to recall that Corel did not want to install
into an
existing partition, but insisted on creating its own.  And if you delete
a partition
and recreate it, you're liable to get new partition numbering if there's
something else on the disk. Which is why I never installed Corel.

PS: I have Linux running on a K6/2 3D  machine.  But my video card
doesn't use system
memory.  The problem you may be having may be related to your video
card...

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partition question
Date: 17 Dec 2000 18:45:18 -0900

David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Hello...I am new to Linux and am trying to figure out which partitions
>> are identified by which names.  I have three hard drives and 10
>> partitions and I can't keep them straight in Linux.  Is there a command
>> or program that will list all of the HD partitions that are available
>> even if they are not mounted?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matthew
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com
>> http://www.deja.com/
>

> df -h

I doubt that I have the latest version, but my df has no -h
option.

The only command I know of which will list all partitions,
mounted or not, is fdisk ("fdisk -l" for example).

For mounted partitions, df or mount will provide information.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: /home settings in fstab
Date: 17 Dec 2000 23:30:52 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Evan Panagiotopoulos wrote:
> While trying to set user quota I damaged the fstab file. The numbers in the
> end of the line what do they mean?
> The /home line looks like this:
>
> /dev/hdd1    /home        ext2        defaults        1  1
>                                                                       ^  ^
> The /boot, /tmp and a few other partitions has 1  2.

> Evan Panagiotopoulos
> Technology, Library and Media Director
> Poughkeepsie City School District

This is documented in the fstab(5) man page.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:33:33 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.config
Subject: Re: Torvalds Speaks Out on RedHat 7.0 and gcc/kgcc idiocity! [Fwd:

I really don't see anything wrong with RedHat using 2.96.
If it's broken now for some things, it's only temporary.
And if stability for compiling applications is a real problem,
just stick to RedHat 6.2.  Whenever you make a transition from
one major release to another, there are bound to be speed bumps along
the
way.  I'm running two computers on RedHat 6.2 and one test system
on RedHat 7.0.  So far the only real issues I've had to contend with
are:

  1. A minor issue in the parsing of NIS maps in /etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs
in 6.2
     and 7.0 which I fixed myself with a temporary hack in the 6.2
autofs
     initialization script.

                     added hack in 6.2 autofs script
                     to properly parse entries of the of the form
                     "yp:nis.map"
        ypcat -k auto.master | sed 's/yp://' | (
            while read dir map options

  2. The power management features do not appear to be working in 7.0.
     My screensaver never turns off my monitor, even though I tell it to
     turn off one minute after my screensaver starts.  The exact same
     configuration works ok in 6.2. I still don't understand what's
going on.

  3. The RedHat 7.0 install disk doesn't work with Linksys LNE100TX.
     I got around this problem by installing both the LNE100TX and 3COM
3c905B         cards.  I then used the 3c905B to install RedHat 7.0,
compiled the
     LNE100TX driver in 7.0, installed the modules and got
     RedHat 7.0 to boot and use the LNE100TX instead of the 3c905B.
     (I still used gcc and not kgcc for compiling the LNE100TX drivers,
      and for some reason it still worked).

  4. dump and/or restore are unusable on RedHat7.0.  For some reason,
they
     stop dead when writing to a RedHat 6.2 NFS server.  I wasn't sure
what was
     causing this problem, but hypothesized that it might have been a
     recompilation problem, so I downloaded the sources to dump and
restore
     version 0.4b20 and recompiled them, and sure enough, they now work.
     Once again I used gcc and not kgcc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Find? really?
Date: 17 Dec 2000 23:33:21 -0500

In article <91j9tt$de3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Garry Knight wrote:
> [garry garry]$ls *.txt
> ls: *.txt: No such file or directory
>
> Actually, I don't. I was running the above command from my home
> directory and it was throwing up the following:
>
> /etc/squid/mib.txt
> /usr/share/doc/msec-0.15/security.txt
> /usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/apiref.txt
> /usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/apirefx.txt
> /usr/share/doc/freetype-1.3.1/docs/bitmaps.txt
>
> along with a whole lot more files. It works just the way Bob Hauck
> says: if the * isn't expanded, it's passed on to the find command.

It depends on which shell you are using.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW with linux
Date: 17 Dec 2000 21:37:32 -0800

Pretty much works fine except for packet writing (DirectCD) doesn't
work yet....there is a patch for the pre 2.4 kernel but I couldn't
get it to apply correctly.

------------------------------

From: "Flej Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dynamic DNS registration partially working
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:55:29 -0800

This is wonderful - I put the DYNUPREM command into /etc/ppp/ip-up and it
works great whenever PPP starts!

But what I can't understand is why the command doesn't work when submitted
via the "at" command as a delayed batch job via rc.local at boot up time, or
why it doesn't work when submitted from rc.local via the "sleep" function
for delayed startup. The only thing I can think of as the problem is that
the DYNUPREM client ends with "Dynu Premium Client running ... press CTRL Z
to exit". I guess if this program is waiting for a CTRL Z character then it
never finishes in the delayed "at" and "sleep" functions, (but if that's the
case, why does it work great in ip-up???).

PS: Thanks for this stupendous idea of ip-up!

Flej Ling.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual processor advantage?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:06:33 GMT

do you not need a 'matched' (same lot) pair of cpus to do that?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Flej Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp "Peer is not authorized to use remote address . . ." RH7.0
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:10:57 -0800

I spent a lot of time playing with PPP to get the right scripts & things.
But how about if you say what your problem is?

ie: What errors do you get? Do you get any errors? What happens when you
dial? Does it dial? blah blah blah.

I would be glad to help if you could describe what the problem is. I am on
Redhat 6.0 and use minicom and PPP successfully all the time. In the mean
time here are some notes from when I set it up on my own machine, which may
or may not help you in your situation:

PPP INSTRUCTIONS FROM LINUX

Sample PPP scripts are located in /usr/doc/ppp-2.3.7/scripts, and are easier
to set up and use than those suggested by our ISP.

Copy the ppp-on file to /usr/local/bin, then modify it for TELEPHONE,
ACCOUNT, and PASSWORD. Also ensure that the com port is specified correctly,
(for example: ttyS1), and that the maximum modem speed is specified
correctly, (eg: 57600).

Next copy the ppp-on-dialer to /etc/ppp. Modify it by adding the following
line to the end of the file:

">"   ppp

This will send the string "ppp" (to initiate PPP) when our ISP sends the
prompt ">" (ie: Our ISP is waiting for a response to a menu of choices, one
of which is PPP). The ">" prompt is what our ISP uses; it may not be what
your ISP uses so dial your ISP via minicom first to see what the prompt is
that gets displayed.Whatever the last character(s) of the prompt are, those
are the character(s) to use in the above line.

In the same ppp-on-dialer file modify the line "ogin: --ogin:   $ACCOUNT" to
read "name:   $ACCOUNT". This is required because our ISP prompts as
"Username:", not "Login:".

The ppp-off file does not need to be copied from /usr/doc/ppp-2.3.7/scripts.
Instead create a file called ppp-off in /usr/local/bin containing "killall
pppd".

To start ppp automatically when booting place the following line into
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:

"/usr/local/bin/ppp-on &"

To stop ppp type ppp-off, or else "killall pppd".

PPP INSTRUCTIONS FOR A SINGLE LINE

To start PPP on COM2: (ie: /dev/ttyS1) with a single command line do the
following:

pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 connect  '/usr/sbin/chat  ""  atdt2801234  CONNECT  ""
Username:  <yourusername>
 Password:  <yourpassword>  <ppp prompt character(s)>  ppp'  noipdefault
defaultroute

Where <yourpassword> is replaced as your actual password string and <ppp
prompt character(s)> is replaced as whatever character or characters are
used by the ISP to prompt for entry into ppp mode. For our ISP the character
is ">" but this character is a special character used in chat, therefore it
causes the pppd command to not execute. To make this line work for our ISP
we use several prompt characters that precede the ">", for example "m01"
works just fine. "m01>" will likely work too. To determine what characters
are prompted you must use minicom to dial the ISP. A menu will be displayed,
ending in a prompt. Choose appropriate characters from the prompt and place
them in the pppd command line above. Our ISP's  prompt ends with "01>".

Flej Ling.

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: ".bz2" extensions
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:09:27 GMT

If you don't want to decompress the whole thing to see the contents,
bzip2 all the files, *then* add them to the tarfile.

Also try the I option to tar to invoke bzip2 implicitly, as you can z for
gzip.
tar -tIf myfile.bz2

------------------------------

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Santa's website runs on Linux/Apache
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:19:11 -0800

Santa's website runs on Linux/Apache!

An early Merry Christmas to all! And a happy new year. I love my Linux. I
hate it too. Cheers.

Tom.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur Merar)
Subject: Help with newbie stuff
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:22:59 GMT

Hello,

I have some REAL newbie questions and I was hoping someone could help
me out.

Ok, I just purchased an Exabyte EXB-120 tape library.   I have 2
computers.  One of them is a Windows 98 system.    The other one I
want to run Linux.  I have a hub and 5 static IP addresses.

This is the setup I want:

Both computers sohuld be able to access the internet.
Both computers should be able to access each other.
The Linux box should be able to work with the tape library.
I want to also be able to access the tape library over the internet.
I want to set up user accounts and allow users to access this SCSI
device.

I have not the slightest idea on where to start.   Can someone please
help me out and give me a bit of advice?

I can be contacted at these e-mail addresses:

Thanks a lot,

Arthur

------------------------------

From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI All-In-Wonder + RH7
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:30:05 -0000

Do you know if you can make open gl applications work with ATI all-in-
wonder and RH7  I have both, but I'm wondering if anyone has info for
that, because I want to play some open gl games like unreal etc.  Thanks.

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which ethernet driver is running?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:44:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chip Seraphine"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What I would like to be able to do is to do a default install, get the
> box up and running, and then somehow determine that (for instance) the
> DEC Tulip driver is the one being used to run the NIC at eth0.

You can tell which driver is being used by looking at the dmesg output:

dmesg | less

searching for 'eth0' will indicate which driver you're using.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Ian Tindale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's me that needs the upgrade (a bit long)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:49:25 +0000

Try this - set this to your default browser home page:

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/

And don't expect it all to make sense instantly - it won't, but after
many months, you look back and see how much you've understood, and look
forward and understand how much more there is to comprehend. Enjoy.

Ian Tindale

From: "Tom Edelbrok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL connection?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:58:59 -0800

I am used to dialing up to my ISP from a Linux machine using PPP. If I make
the switch to DSL will I still need to use PPP or will it be connected just
like I'm on a network (ie: via my ethernet card)?

Thanks,
Tom.