Linux-Misc Digest #595, Volume #24               Thu, 25 May 00 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Donal K. Fellows)
  why usrquota and grpquota needed? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in germany (Peter
Karlsson)
  Re: Good email client for Gnome. (Young4ert)
  Re: problems with mkisofs (James Pearson)
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? (s@-)
  Re: Linux books (Mark Wilden)
  Re: Redhat 6 install problems... ("John P")
  Re: Run a Java program at Startup. (FEJF)
  my startx needs help!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux hangs (Grahame Jordan)
  pdf file (Oder  Santos)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Maciej Golebiewski)
  Re: pdf file (FEJF)
  Erroneous date messages from Linuxconf (Graham Daniell)
  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Maciej Golebiewski)
  Re: my startx needs help!!! (Dances With Crows)
  Re: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or 2400x1200 dpi (Henrik Becker)
  Re: Photo-Quality printer? [was: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or 2400x1200 dpi]
(Henrik Becker)
  Re: synchronise hardware and cmos clock ("Carsten Arnold")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: how to enter a bug report against linux? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: pdf file (Ian Mortimer)
  Re: synchronise hardware and cmos clock (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: 25 May 2000 10:00:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David T. Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fair use would certainly allow them to use substantial chunks of
> such code however they like.

That must be some radically new meaning of "Fair Use" which I've not
encountered before.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: why usrquota and grpquota needed?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:07:46 GMT

I was wondering why the usrquota and grpquota options in fstab
are required in order to enable quota on a file system? What
I mean is that they look superfluous to me. Why not just activate
the quota system when /sbin/quotaon is run provided the quota.user
and quota.group files exist in the right place?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Karlsson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in germany
Date: 25 May 2000 10:22:41 GMT

In article <newscache$k604vf$7u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Ez-Aton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jeff Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8gg4e4$rsa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hi.
>>
>> Somebody tried to send my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files from my server
> to their account in
>> germany.  I am not sure how they did that part, but they did.  However, my
> hacker is incompetent and
>> he botched his own e-mail address.  Imagine my surprise and astonishment
> when I got my own files in
>> the mail!  I looked in the maillog and I can see where the messages went
> out.  I checked wtmp -
>> found nothing there, and nothing noteworthy in /var/log/*, either.  The
> Email address the guy used
>> is [EMAIL PROTECTED] if that means anything to anybody.  I think

>> <<< 550 <kx2246>... User unknown or not available - Empfaenger unbekannt
> oder
>> nicht erreichbar
>> 550 [EMAIL PROTECTED] User unknown
>>
>>     [ Part 2: "Delivery Status" ]
>>
>> Reporting-MTA: dns; angel.commercialventvac.com
>> Arrival-Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:24:07 -0700
>>
>> Final-Recipient: RFC822; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Action: failed
>> Remote-MTA: DNS; mx0.gmx.net
>> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 <kx2246>... User unknown or not available -
>> Empfaenger unbekannt oder nicht erreichbar
>>

>> Anyway, I am battening down my hatches, again.  Fortunately, my users have
> picked strong passwords,
>> such as 2sday and blue=danube, so using crack or satan probably won't buy

Ok, so now noone can use those... :)

> this person anything, and
>> I am going to personally change those passwords, just in case.  Blech!
>>
>> I thought you might want a "heads up" warning.

If your box/es has been compromised in any way you should wipe them clean, reformat
(twice some people say and from a technical point it may be necessary haven't checked
though) and reinstall from backups you know for certain aren't tampered with. Of
course I assume you've taken all compromised boxes offline.

Tiger? WHERE, WHERE?

Best regards

Peter K

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 19:12:42 -0400
From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.madrake
Subject: Re: Good email client for Gnome.

Steve wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2000 23:46:27 -0400, Jaime B. Zamora S. wrote:
> >Hi, im after a good email client that support multiple accounts, multiple
> >identities and read newsgroup.
> >
> >There is an app that can do that?
>
> Emacs, Pine, Mutt.

These are not specifically Gnome programs.

------------------------------

From: James Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with mkisofs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:25:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Alexander Roalter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On my system with a recent version of mkisofs (from the cdrecord
1.8.1)
> I always
> get the same error when mastering larger directories (with more than
> 50-60 files in
> it): Some files do even not appear in the listing, others are there
> twice or more
> times. The Image size is correct, so I guess the correct data is put
> into the
> image, but the TOC seems to be wrong.
>
> I just tried all possible combinations of the -T -J -r switches for
> mkisofs, but
> also when removing all the switches I got a corrupted image.
>
> Usually I create my archives with this command line:
>
> # mkisofs -J -T -r -v -o /usr/cdmaster/cdrom.iso /usr/local/moviedb/
>
> ... an example to compress the moviedatabase located in
> /usr/local/moviedb.
>
> But when doing this, two larger direcories do not really appear as
they
> should.
> Most of the files have long names, but there are also short names in
it,
> and both
> of them appear several times in the directory listing.
>
> Does anybody know why mkisofs has this behaviour ?

Are you writing the image to CD? If so, how? Is it the image or CD that
looks corrupted?

Are you mounting the image with the loop back option? Is the image
corrupted when mounted in this way?

Does the output of isoinfo look correct?

James Pearson

From: s@-
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: 25 May 2000 03:08:03 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>>What I find the most amazing thing in this, is that we are aactually
>>arguing if a bug-tracking system is usefull or not.

>A lot depends on whether the overhead of the system justifies its use.
>Not all systems are worth the effort in all cases, and I know some folks
>who are quite unhappy about the overhead involved in some of the more
>complex commercial change-control systems (as an example).

If you are not happy with the source control system you
are using, get a better one. The answer is NOT not to use one.

Can you imagine working on 500,000 lines program without source
control system??

>How can you toss out meaningful criticisms without knowing the actual
>process(es) currently being used by the core developers, if any?

Ok, proof us wrong. Since you are into that actual secrete culture of the
'core' kernel developers, points us to the bug-tracking system to use
to report bugs found by users in the OS called Linux. A mailing list or
news group or a chat room is not a bug tracking system.

I know enough to know that they have no such system.

s/

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux books
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:55:55 +0100

I've found "Unix Power Tools" to be quite handy in discovering some of
the more efficient ways of doing things on Unix systems (including
Linux).

------------------------------

From: "John P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6 install problems...
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:01:04 +0100

Thankfully it's all working OK now, I was trying to use /dev/hdh1 instead of
/dev/hdh6 (after using explorer2fs to see the lilo.conf file) - booted first
time.

But now Linux is next to useless since my stupid modem is a Winmodem.....
and you can only entertain yourself with Gnome for so long.. and I don't
want to go out and buy a new external modem!!

Oh well,

Cheers
John

------------------------------

From: FEJF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Run a Java program at Startup.
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:54:12 +0200

Eric

 wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Hi,
>
> Would you please to teach me how can I run a Java program when Linux
> startup ?
> If Java program is a non-stoped program(infinite loop program), can it
> run ?

I use suse and there u can add a script to /sbin/init.d/rcX.d (if you
feel experienced enough and there's a corresponding dir in your
distribution). the X stands for the runlevel. all scripts starting with a
SxxName are start-scripts the one with the K's are kill-scripts. it's not
so difficult to add a script - just copy another and change it to your
requires...
it looks more professional (i think) if linux startsup and the screen
shows
Starting java script                                    done
fejf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: my startx needs help!!!
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:56:09 GMT

hi, i'm having problem regaurding graphical interface.

when i tried to oped the file "/etc/inittab" to boot in graphical mode
the access is denied, & when i give command "startx" it gives me
following error (please note that i'm giving the full error text which
i get after "startx")-

Configured drivers:
Mach64: accelarated server for ATI Mach64 graphics adaptors( Patchlevel
0)
(using VT number 7)

XF86config: /etc/xf86config
(**)stands for supplied, (--)stands for probeb/default values

(**)XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**)XKB: model: "pc104"
(**)XKB: layout: "de"
(**)XKB: variant: "nodeadkeys"
(**)Mouse: type: Ps/2, device: /dev/mouse, buttons:3
(**)FontPath set
to "usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, /usr/X
11r6/lib/X11/fonts
/Type1, /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/latin2/75dpi"

You must provide a "screen" section in XF86 for at least one of the
following graphic drivers: accel

Fatel server error:
No configured graphic devices

X connection to: o.o broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

SO ALL ABOVE IS THE ERROR I GET WHENEVER I TRIED TO RUN GRAPHICAL
INTERFACE.
please help me to solve this problem. thank you for your precious time.
SUSE 6.3

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 25 May 2000 21:16:23 +1000

s@- writes:

>No Regression test suite per subssytem, no bug tracking system, no
>proper software design processes, etc... Just becuase it "works"
>in the current sloppy ad-hoc fashion, does not mean anything to me.

And just that you think that those "proper software design processes"
would make for a better linux does not mean anything to the people
who do the development.

You want regression test suites? Write them! It's *you* who wants them,
so *you* do the work. The people actually doing the development obviously
don't want them enough to spend their own time on them --- and you have
no justification for demanding any of them do anything they don't want
to do.

Bernie

--
A child miseducated is a child lost
John F. Kennedy

------------------------------

From: Grahame Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux hangs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:19:05 +1000

Rafael,

What sort of hang.  Can you ping it or telnet into it from another
machine?
Sometimes X can hang but the rest is OK. In this case it may be related
to your video card Driver.  If in the casae the thing is completely dead
it may be an irq conflict.  Ethernet cards don't like to be on the same
irqs as other devices.

>From much experience Linux itself has never been the problem, either
hardware or driver.  Maybe you could try another video card and remove
other cards and bring them in one at a time (noting irqs) until you can
pinpoint the problem.

Good Luck

Yoda

--
=======================
- I see, I forget;    -

------------------------------

From: Oder  Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pdf file
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:00:27 -0300

I'm really new to Linux and I don't know how to manage a pdf.gz file.
What should I do to descompact this file? Thanks in advance, Oder.

------------------------------

From: Maciej Golebiewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:03:37 +0200

> Maciej Golebiewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> It does happen.  I don't know what percentage of makefiles provide
> that or a simiar target.  Most produce a single executable image that
> is easy to dispose of.

Right, but some of the larger software packages produce a number of binaries,
a number of libraries, a number of scripts plus other stuff. Often with
cryptic names. You could install to separate directories, but this is a
challeng
to your PATH and MANPATH in the longer run. :)

> ' RPM is not perfect but it is quite OK. It's just that the guys creating rpm
> ' not always can get the dependencies right. Personally one of my favourite
> ' query options in rpm is -q -f to instantly get the name of the package
> ' "owning" a specific file. I love it.
>
> What do you do when two packages claim ownership of the same file?

Good point.

This would be either a mistake of the person who build the one of the
packages,
and maybe the package manager system too... Anyway, this of course would
require
tedious diving into the details and manual labort, but I haven't notice this
happening frequently (in Linux that is).

Maciej

------------------------------

From: FEJF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pdf file
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:48:21 +0200

Oder  Santos

 wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I'm really new to Linux and I don't know how to manage a pdf.gz file.
> What should I do to descompact this file? Thanks in advance, Oder.

if u use midnight commander (very good console norton commander like
tool) u can press only F2 to gunzip the file...
fejf

------------------------------

From: Graham Daniell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Erroneous date messages from Linuxconf
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:15:49 +0800

I have just set up a new installation of RH Linux 6.2, and find that
when I go into Linuxconf under X and change things like the network
settings, gateway etc and then click on "Activate Changes", it comes
back with numerous messages which all say something like this:

"<filename.conf> has a modification date/time which is greater than the
system date/time - the system time may by wrong or may have been wrong
at some point in the past".

It gives me this message for lots of different files (eg: inetd.conf
etc), and if I click OK to all of them, it then asks me again to
"activate changes".  It repeats this whole process two or three times
before eventually closing Linuxconf down

I have not changed the time on the PC since setting up Linux.

Does anyone know why RH Linux does this (I have experienced the same on
RH Linux version 6.0 and 6.1 in the past), and how it can be avoided /
cured?

Thanks,
Graham Daniell

From: Maciej Golebiewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:09:09 +0200

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> >>Eh? Some of us do make file lists for the software we install, you know!
> >>I have no problems with dependencies.
> >>
> >>(check out man find .. -cnewer, and mkpkg).
> >
> >       Given the non-package specific dependency checking tools already in
> >       Linux, one would think that you could build a dependency database
> >       quite independent of rpm or deb.
>
> But there is no reason to expect it to be any better.  Is there a tool
> that tells you when the last program that uses a shared library
> has been removed?

Just a wild idea: did anyone ever thought about applying to package management
the same techniques used in garbage collectors (as in memory mananagement :),
tracking number of references, maybe adding something like a scope?

Maciej

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: my startx needs help!!!
Date: 25 May 2000 08:17:56 EDT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 10:56:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<8gj0s4$f8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:

[snip]
>(**)FontPath set
>to "usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, /usr/X11r6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, /usr/X
>
>You must provide a "screen" section in XF86 for at least one of the
>following graphic drivers: accel
>Fatel server error:
>No configured graphic devices
>
>X connection to: o.o broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
>
>SO ALL ABOVE IS THE ERROR I GET WHENEVER I TRIED TO RUN GRAPHICAL
>INTERFACE.

Don't SHOUT.  It's rude.

>please help me to solve this problem. thank you for your precious time.
>SUSE 6.3

Log in as root, then enter "SaX" at the prompt.  Follow the directions and
configure your ATi graphics card.  Don't mess around with the contents of
/etc/XF86Config until you know what you're doing--from the error message,
it looks like a chunk near the end of the file got wiped out.

After you have gone through SaX, enter "init 3" at the prompt.  You should
get a standard X graphical login screen.  Changing /etc/inittab for a
graphical login on startup requires only one change:

id:2:initdefault
id:3:initdefault

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or 2400x1200 dpi
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:14:36 +0200

Kevin E Cosgrove wrote:
> Could anyone tell me of a printer driver for the HP DeskJet 930C
> which supports full resolution in color mode?  HP says best
> resolution is "PhotoREt III or 2400x1200 dpi".
>
> Any info is appreciated.  Thanks...

Got the 930 myself but did not get beyound 600x600 in color using gs.

--

Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://www.HenrikBecker.de

support FREE SOFTWARE www.KDE.org www.WINDOWMAKER.org www.LINUX.org

dt. J-Pilot Handbuch fertig: http://www.henrikbecker.de/jpilot

------------------------------

From: Henrik Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Photo-Quality printer? [was: HP DeskJet 930C PhotoREt III or 2400x1200
dpi]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:18:27 +0200

Frank Stulle wrote:
> Look at gimp-print.sourceforge.net
> The driver is still under construction but seems to be very good.

Didn't see any link to the 930, is not even on the supported list ...

From: "Carsten Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: synchronise hardware and cmos clock
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:30:54 +0200

Carsten Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ggcp0$kag$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> how do i synchronise my hardware and cmos clock?

Apparrently i have a little y2k error in my system. so the system and
hardware clock are changed to to different times everytime i reboot my
system. so is there a chance to get the actual time from an internetserver
everytime i restart my system and then update the system and hardwareclock
regarding to this time?
where and how do i set this up if it is possibel?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 25 May 2000 12:33:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: s@- wrote:
:>
:> A regression test suite is of utomost importance. Can someone
:> tell me where is one to test the ethernet driver for linux? I just
:> made changes in one and I want to make sure I did not break
:> something, how do I know?

: Do you mean to say that there is no standard test suite to run Linux
: code changes against? That each developer either writes his own, or
: trusts to 'many eyes' to do his testing for him?

And I'll tell you something else .. there is no regression suite for
the hardware they're driving either :-). Those chips change
arbitrarily, and break in new and interesting ways at every minor
redesign or component change.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 25 May 2000 12:37:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc s@- wrote:
: What I find the most amazing thing in this, is that we are aactually
: arguing if a bug-tracking system is usefull or not.

: This by itself just shows how far behind the linux developers
: are compared to main stream software engineers when it comes
: to modern software processes.

: It is really is amazing.

No .. it's amazing how behind the times you are. Think of this as "just
in time software". Then you'll get a better analogy.

Another good analogy is "evolutionary software". The software isn't
being designed and rolled out, then (or before) to be tested and
reworked. It's evolving to meet changing circumstances. It's subject to
all kinds of pressures, only one of them being "does it work". In
fact the answer to that question is about as clear as the answer to
"does a penguin work?" Working is not part of its specification. What
it is is a success, whether it works or not. And it's a success becuase
it's survived.

[rote-learned booklore deleted]

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 25 May 2000 12:42:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8ghs1s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <s@-> wrote:
:>I tell you, based on the answers I see here, I just wonder
:>how Linux even works based on the type of people who seem
:>to work on it. It seems like the most sloppy development
:>software project ever created, and it seems to attract
:>the kind of programmers to have no clue about what is
:>software engineering is all about.

: The odd thing is that it actually is as good as most
: commercial software that goes through the proper
: formalities.  The problem is that every user has
: to discover the remaining problems the hard way.

Amusingly, I just got this mail from Alan Cox on the list ...

  Message 4/414 Alan Cox                           May 25, 2000 01:25:46 pm +0100

  Subject: Re: [patch] 2.3.99-pre10-3 all architectures
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith Owens)
  Date:   Thu, 25 May 2000 13:25:46 +0100 (BST)
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  > There are too many bug reports being mailed in without following the
  > bug reporting process.  This patch adds "Please read linux/REPORTING-BUGS"
  > to arch/*/kernel/traps.c on every architecture, against 2.3.99-pre10-3.
  > Would the various arch maintainers please check it before I send the
  > patch to Linus.

  This is why I told you to keep the ksymoops tools with the kernel.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 25 May 2000 12:39:15 GMT

:
: Ok, proof us wrong. Since you are into that actual secrete culture of the
: 'core' kernel developers, points us to the bug-tracking system to use
: to report bugs found by users in the OS called Linux. A mailing list or
: news group or a chat room is not a bug tracking system.

Oh, I'm afraid it is. It's at least as good as the one that tracks the
governments activities (known as "the press").

From: Ian Mortimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:49:24 +0000

Oder Santos wrote:

> I'm really new to Linux and I don't know how to manage a pdf.gz file.
> What should I do to descompact this file? Thanks in advance, Oder.

gunzip filename.pdf.gz
acroread filename.pdf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 25 May 2000 08:51:34 EDT

On Thu, 25 May 2000 14:30:54 +0200, Carsten Arnold
<<8gj6du$4ja$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Apparrently i have a little y2k error in my system. so the system and
>hardware clock are changed to to different times everytime i reboot my
>system. so is there a chance to get the actual time from an internetserver
>everytime i restart my system and then update the system and hardwareclock
>regarding to this time?
>where and how do i set this up if it is possibel?

Use the "netdate" command to update the system time every so often.  Put
the command
/usr/sbin/netdate HOST 2&1> /dev/null
in /sbin/init.d/boot.local (/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local for
RedHat-derived), replacing HOST with a machine on the network that keeps
accurate time.  If you are on a dialup connection, this will get annoying
very quickly.  Run netdate every so often from cron if you're worried
about the hardware not keeping time correctly, and don't worry about the
BIOS clock.  Linux only uses it to set the system time at boot, and since
your BIOS clock is screwed anyway, there's no point in messing with it.